Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
HOOVER

Default Lakeside Famous Roast Beef Pizza & Seafood

Great new place opened in the old Dunkin Donuts building on Union Ave in Laconia. Best ever roast beef sandwhich
HOOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
jetskier

Post Tried it twice

We went there a couple of times. The first time the food was quite good especially the roast beef sandwich. The second time we were a bit more adventurous and ordered pizza and a turkey club sandwich. That was disappointing. I am guessing that the roast beef sandwich is a pretty safe bet, but I am not sure about the consistency of the other menu items.

Just my experience.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
Phantom

And the name of this place for those of us Stuck outside the Lakes Region ?
Old 05-01-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
And the name of this place for those of us Stuck outside the Lakes Region ?
Lakeside Famous Roast Beef Pizza & Seafood
1091 Union Ave
Laconia, NH 03246
Phantom (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
AkwaMarina

Default scallops

The scallops are excellent! Huge!

And it was very clean.
AkwaMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
AKADQ

Thumbs up Our Employees Love the Place

Having tried it myself and all our teenage employees, we all love the place and we all have not been disappointed.
AKADQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:30 AM   #7
Overlake97

Default Best FISH!

Have to weigh in here. Lakeside (old Dunkin building in Laconia, not the other Lakeside Meredith) has the best Fish in their Fish and Chips: Two good sized hunks of juicy haddock (I think, but it doesn't matter), with just enough breading. Better than Sawyers; way better than Tamarack. Also, my wife, a tartar sauce connoisseur, loves their tartar ("lots of pickle and dill, no sugar").

One thing I should note is that I've also had their fish sandwich, but the filet in that was different - sort of a fast-food-like patty, too symmetrical to have been breaded and fried to order, and not nearly as good as their 'Fish n Chips' fish. The chips, by the way, are fairly standard McDonalds-like skinny fries, but accompanied by that fish they taste just fine.
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
Sully

Default A wonderful addition to the Lakes Region

My wife and I walked into the Lakeside, Union Ave, Laconia by sheer chance this past late Saturday afternoon. We had no prior knowledge of it's existence. We were greeted by the owner who introduced himself as "Dave" and asked if we were first time customers. He was a very proud man. Proud of his restaurant, his people, and most importantly proud of the quality, quantity, and price of the food he was serving. Rather than going into great detail let me simply say this.....the entire experience was a complete pleasure. The food was terrific. The service, friendliness, price, variety. etc.etc. was exceptional. We cannot wait to return. We live in Moultonborough and wish it was closer to us. I can honestly say that the only other restaurant that even closely compares is Kevin's Cafe on Rte. 25 in Moultonborough. We are not talking about fine dining......we are talking about great food and great people that appreciate our business at a very fair price point. It seems to me that represents what most of us truly want in a restaurant. Visit the Lakeside in Laconia.......you will not regret it and you will definitely return.
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #9
Overlake97

Default Unfortunate Business Decision

Last week I ordered one Cheeseburger over the phone, which was listed in their take-out menu as $2.85. My decision to try their burger had been influenced by the low price (compared to McDs and Wendy's for something similar), my desire to get a quick and cheap "snack", and my positive experiences with other items at their place (see earlier FISH post). When I arrived and was told I owed $5.72, I said that must be someone else's order, as mine should be around $3 with tax. The person working the cash register told me the price had gone up. The owner then walked over and started to poke some keys on the register; I thought he was about to alter the charge, at least for this one time since I had clearly been led astray by the take-out menu (Note: the in-store menu also still showed the $2.85 price). Instead, he explained that they had to adjust the price because it was a quarter pound of beef, "not like McDonalds," (although they do have a quarter-pounder). I could have declined the nearly doubled-in-price burger, and probably should have, but I was curious, and hungry, and paid the $5.72. The burger was good, but the experience left a bad taste.

I can appreciate the need to charge more, but this should and could have been handled differently. For starters, the person who took my order over the phone should have mentioned the price increase at that time, giving me the option to stay or go. The way it played out, it smacked more of the old "bait and switch." This episode won't stop me from going there, as the food is still worth it, but it could have been handled better.
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Overlake97 For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
dt5150

been there a few times. the food has always been pretty good, but they are in need of some organization over there. if it's busy, they get all confused and screw up the orders. it's happened twice to me already, and i think i've been there 3 or 4 times total.
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Why are they famous?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
LongBay

Default Because patrons say so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Why are they famous?
Based on most of the comments in this thread, folks like their roast beef, pizza and seafood. I can't speak for the pizza and seafood yet but their roast beef is very good. There is only one other place in the Lakes Region I would order a roast beef sandwich from.
LongBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #13
PDC4LIFE

Thumbs up Place is good.. Best Roast Beef place north of Route 128...

Try it.. Honestly one of the best Roast Beef places I have been to.
Same taste but better quality than Bill and Bobs in Woburn MA. People are nice and the place is spotless. Give them a try you wont be dissapointed.
PDC4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:49 AM   #14
modio

Had their pizza or the first time last night! Delicious! We'll be back. Two large pizzas, three toppings total, for under $20 with the coupon on the menu. I have no idea why anyone even goes to Pizza Hut next door with a place like this around!
modio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
Charlie T

Default Highly Recommend

I've been there several times myself. Dave introduced himself to me the first time I was there and told me a little bit about the business. I'm always very happy with the quality and service. Dave works hard to provide a good product at a fair price. This is my "go to" sub shop in the lakes region and fills a void (for me anyway) that was left when the original Waldo Peppers at the Weirs closed.

I wish them well in a tough ecomomy.

Charlie T
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #16
8gv

On this advice of this thread I went to the Lakeside Saturday. The roast beast was excellent. I was amazed at how diverse the menu is.

The exterior of the building and their sign do not do the menu and staff justice. Prior to reading positive feedback here I had never considered going to the Lakeside. While word of mouth can be a good way of growing the business, a more branded sign and building could help.

I'll be back, soon!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #17
DRH

Curious that they chose the name "Lakeside" when there is another restaurant just up the road toward Gilford that has been known as "Lakeside" for many years. It used to be located on Lake St. (Rt. 3) across from Paugus Bay, but it moved several years ago to the location where Waldo Pepper's initially relocated to from the Weirs. It's full name is "Country Cookin' at Lakeside", but everyone knows it as just "Lakeside". The original "Lakeside" is a very popular family restaurant.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #18
jetskier

Talking Yup

I am curious that they chose the name "Famous".

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #19
AKADQ

Thumbs up Z Beasty Roast Beef is to die for !

Thanks for a great lunch today, keep up the good work...

Last edited by AKADQ; 07-27-2013 at 06:17 PM.
AKADQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #20
ronc4424

Wife and I finally got around to trying their " famous " roast beef sandwiches today. We were not disapointed, they were excellent. We had beef w/sauce and mayo and a order of onion rings. The owner Dave introduced himself and made us feel welcome. For a quick fix they will be my go to when I'm on that side of the lake. Give em a try, you'll be happy happy happy!
Old 08-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #21
Scott

I must have had the roast beef on an off day because it was very dry and severely lacking in flavor. Jon's will always be my roast beef default, but will give Lakeside another try.

I have tried their pizza and found it to be good, but it was absolutely identical to Gilford House of Pizza. Wonder if they are owned by the same folks?

I have tried their steak tip dinner and found the steak to be exceptionally delicious... by far my favorite. Really flavorful and tender and the portion size is generous.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #22
Wolfeboro_Baja

Sounds like a decent place to eat, too bad they aren't within boating distance.

Someone might want to do Lakeside Famous Roast Beef a favor and let them know their business is not in good standing with the state; they need to file the current annual report due with the NH Secretary of State's office.

Also, according to the Secretary of State's office, there is no Gilford House of Pizza registered with their office, not now and not in the past 40 yrs or so.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #23
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default State standing

This is probably the reason why there are three businesses eateries in the area has Lakeside in their name. The one who is registered can file a complaint with the state about the 'Lakeside' name. The state do a good job of not allowing businesses with similar names to operate with that name in the general area.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #24
Wolfeboro_Baja

Yup, "Country Cookin' at Lakeside" isn't registered with the state either, not now and not in the past 40 yrs or so.

It's too bad; you start a business (without registering with the state) and build up name recognition over a number of years and then somebody else who actually takes the time to register properly can get you to change your name because they took the time to do it right and register. Some people don't get it.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #25
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Not Always True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
Yup, "Country Cookin' at Lakeside" isn't registered with the state either, not now and not in the past 40 yrs or so.

It's too bad; you start a business (without registering with the state) and build up name recognition over a number of years and then somebody else who actually takes the time to register properly can get you to change your name because they took the time to do it right and register. Some people don't get it.

Just because the name on the sign isnt registered with NH doesnt mean the business isnt registered. Many times when the state will not issue a name similar to another business they use a different name to incorporate such as ABC Corp and then use a dba for the name of the business to operate under. Perfectly legal, its done all the time. This is why you do not see the name on the sign in the state registry even though it is probably registerd. Also in order to collect NH food tax and issue payroll to employees in NH you must be registered.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #26
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Just because the name on the sign isnt registered with NH doesnt mean the business isnt registered. Many times when the state will not issue a name similar to another business they use a different name to incorporate such as ABC Corp and then use a dba for the name of the business to operate under. Perfectly legal, its done all the time. This is why you do not see the name on the sign in the state registry even though it is probably registerd. Also in order to collect NH food tax and issue payroll to employees in NH you must be registered.
Really? So for example I could have a company name of TPG Inc D/B/A The Woodshed, in, let's say, Meredith?
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #27
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
It's not perfectly legal and it is not done all the time, at least, not in this state. By state law, the name on the sign must be registered with the Secretary of State's (SOS) office since that is the name they are doing business under AND whatever business name is registered cannot be the same as a name currently registered in the SOS office.

This is a very simplified explanation: to use your example, ABC Corp. wants to register and wants to do business as XYZ Enterprises; BOTH of those names must be registered. If the name ABC is available, no problem. If XYZ Enterprises is already registered, then ABC cannot do business under that name, they will have to choose another d/b/a name.

Also, Dept. of Revenue Administration (DRA) is entirely separate from the SOS office. DRA will accept most any filings and taxes paid whether the business is registered with the SOS office or not.

Gourmand, if either or both of the names "TPG" or "The Woodshed" are already registered, then you would not be able to register them to use in Meredith or most anywhere else in NH. Of course, you all know "The Woodshed Restaurant" in Moultonborough is registered in the SOS office; it is owned by JAMS Management LLC.

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney nor do I pretend to be one (I don't even play one on TV!). Anything stated here should not be construed as legal advice. Always consult with your own lawyer.