Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
GTO

Default No rafting.......

Do you wonder why there are no rafting zones around? My guess is that most of the areas were overtaken by inconsiderate boneheads who think that the lake is one big party zone just for them and their friends and not take into consideration the other boaters and neighbors around them. Farrahs point is fast becoming the next Braun Bay. How long do you think rafting will be allowed there? In past threads I have mentioned the trash in the water and on the land and also the loud music. You can play your music all you want but keep it at a range so that you can hear it and enjoy it....all the other boaters rafting there really don't need to hear it. And as far as the trash....there is never an excuse for that. All that said, there seems to be a new annoyance this past weekend. One of the bigger yachts that was there, decided to show off their Mount Washington Decibled horn, quite a few times throughout the day. Guess what pal.........no one was really impressed. While your little group were all laughing like little school kids, there were plenty of others around that weren't.
So in a couple of years when the area is off limits to rafting and Marine Patrol is "harassing" people in that cove....remember, its always the few that ruin the good things for the rest of us.
Resident 2B (06-21-2010), sunset on the dock (06-22-2010)
Old 06-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
Lakegeezer

When considering new rules, please have them effective only on summer weekends. The lake is a very different place during the week (and shoulder seasons), and areas now off-limits can handle the occasional rafting parties which mid-week would bring. Also, the folks most bothered by the weekend crowds are often not around during the week. It is time to stop legislating full-time policies to combat the weekend abuses.
laketrout (07-04-2010), Misty Blue (07-02-2010), Nauset (06-21-2010), pointhouse (06-29-2010), Resident 2B (06-21-2010)
Old 06-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
DMAX

I was over there that day and the horn blowing was for the people that think its o.k. come into an area where boats are rafted, up on plane well within range of us. I've seen this more than a few times this year. Don't get it.
DMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:06 AM   #4
ApS

Unhappy Uh-oh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAX View Post
I was over there that day and the horn blowing was for the people that think its o.k. come into an area where boats are rafted, up on plane well within range of us. I've seen this more than a few times this year. Don't get it.
Those rafters got some bad advice.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:11 AM   #5
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Do you wonder why there are no rafting zones around? My guess is that most of the areas were overtaken by inconsiderate boneheads who think that the lake is one big party zone just for them and their friends and not take into consideration the other boaters and neighbors around them. Farrahs point is fast becoming the next Braun Bay. How long do you think rafting will be allowed there? In past threads I have mentioned the trash in the water and on the land and also the loud music. You can play your music all you want but keep it at a range so that you can hear it and enjoy it....all the other boaters rafting there really don't need to hear it. And as far as the trash....there is never an excuse for that. All that said, there seems to be a new annoyance this past weekend. One of the bigger yachts that was there, decided to show off their Mount Washington Decibled horn, quite a few times throughout the day. Guess what pal.........no one was really impressed. While your little group were all laughing like little school kids, there were plenty of others around that weren't.
So in a couple of years when the area is off limits to rafting and Marine Patrol is "harassing" people in that cove....remember, its always the few that ruin the good things for the rest of us.
To save them the trouble of responding, here's what some of your fellow forum members think about your "whining":

topwater

Life's to short to worry about the little things. Don't enjoy that 1 minute of time? Go inside and fix another cocktail, when you come back they will be gone. Easy solutions !!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pm203

Unbelievable. You are still crying about any boat that does not conform to your selfish standards. I find YOUR post irritating and disruptive. To actually come on here and start a thread like this makes me laugh. Hopefully, Don will delete it and put an end to your excessive whining.

I think we all just need get along.... there is no right to peace and quiet!

Woodsy

Dhuerty24

get a life!!

pm203 ------------------------------------------------------------------

Being a responsible law abiding citizen is a good thing. Being a selfish whiner always crying about what you dislike is a bad thing. If these boats are illegal due to excessive sound, then they will be challenged by the MP. If they are legal, you are just going to have it suck it up.Most of the boats on the lake are compliant. There are a few that are not. Starting this thread is just a public relations stunt to try and further your cause. You really need to move inland or adjust. This is the wrong lake to be on if you want tranquility 100% of the time, every day of the week.

topwater
Talking about " all about me " lmao, try re-reading your post !! Your words of pretending to care for the lake make me gag. And now YOU are throwing in History. Get a life, and if you do decide to keep your present one, do us all a favor and move back to your original state. Preach to them, they will probably jump right on your bandwagon with you.
EAR PLUGS or U-HAUL, very easy solutions to your MAJOR inconvience. Please think about what you are SAYING. Think about what you HAVE, Think about what others DO NOT have and maybe, just maybe you will see how wonderful you have it. As I mentioned earlier in a post, Life is way way to short to worry about the little things. Re-assess your priorities and and what is actually important in your life, and you should find, 1 minute of time a boat is passing your area is really not such a big thing. Remember, Life is what you make of it!!

gtagrip

Paleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze!!!!!!

VitaBene

I hope those nasty boats and motorcylcles do disturb your tranquil shangrli-la!

Sleep tight and say night night to EC (we bonded and have decided to become buddies) for me as well.
sunset on the dock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2010, 06:48 AM   #6
XCR-700

Thumbs down

WOW, I am a strong supporter of folks being able to voice their opinions, but dragging quotes out of context seems out of line.

As someone who boats and rafts with my young children I do not like rowdy crowds, loud music, and have suffered a seriously cut foot from a broken glass bottle left behind by an inconsiderate/irresponsible boater. But I will not support no rafting zones!

I enjoy seeing well behaved people sharing the lake and enjoying themselves, its why I come to Winnipesaukee and don’t go to the quieter and more secluded lakes.

I strongly encourage you to voice your opinion, but starting out on a new thread with quotes from old and unrelated threads is not going to accomplish anything but to alienate other posters,,,
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-23-2010), chipj29 (06-22-2010), chmeeee (06-25-2010), OCDACTIVE (06-22-2010), Resident 2B (06-22-2010), Ropetow (06-23-2010), topwater (06-22-2010), Winnigirl (06-22-2010)
Old 06-22-2010, 07:13 AM   #7
topwater

LOL, thats the only way some people think. I just went out and bought some cheese to go with his whine.
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:15 AM   #8
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post

I strongly encourage you to voice your opinion, but starting out on a new thread with quotes from old and unrelated threads is not going to accomplish anything but to alienate other posters,,,

Did you say old and unrelated?? The thread was from last week and had to do with inconsiderate noise on the lake. SOTD
sunset on the dock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:25 AM   #9
elchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
To save them the trouble of responding, here's what some of your fellow forum members think about your "whining":
Excellent excellent reply. Spot on. Combines the lunacy of the reactions you got to your other thread with a simultaneous exposure of the blatant hypocracy. A master stroke.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:30 AM   #10
Paugus Bay Resident

As a former LR resident, I wanted to share a picture from my new home. This isn't unusual for a nice weekend day. Boats from 10' to 100'. Notice the jet skis in the upper left corner, no 150' rule. Quite a change There's go fasts, go slows, dinks, mega yachts, everybody's just enjoying the day.
Attached Images

Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paugus Bay Resident For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (06-22-2010), NoRegrets (06-22-2010)
Old 06-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #11
NoRegrets

The media has perfected the art of using sound bytes or partial statements to make points. Clipping statements with non-flattering intentions can turn a thread into a bitter exchange. Many readers get the wrong impression and Don has had to close or lock many threads that have taken this path. The exchange of opinions about noise and rafting has let many give their perspectives.

We were rafted in a different part of the lake this past Saturday when a large Carver anchored close by. They had a large party with music, dancing, jumping off the bow, and plenty of screaming and yelling. I was at first turned off by the excessive noise but then realized they were enjoying the moment. It was my mood that was critical of their fun. I made a cocktail, jumped into the water, and got out of my bitch mood and had the best day of the year!
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:52 AM   #12
Woodsy

I was also there.....

To be truthful.... I was wondering why this guy was blowing off his horn, and I figured he was just being an *ss... and because I "thought" he was being an *ss I was def irritated! (for the above mentioned reasons... ruining a good thing) If he was blowing his horn to ward off a non-courteous boater.... it def eases my irritation level.

Sometimes things are not exactly what they seem....

Woodsy
Old 06-22-2010, 08:03 AM   #13
Kracken

Sunset,

So… you are in favor of loud horns, inconsiderate boneheads who think that the lake is one big party zone and throwing trash into the lake? Wow, welcome to the darkside buddy.

Now what??? We agree…what happens now?
Kracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #14
XCR-700

Quote:
Did you say old and unrelated?? The thread was from last week and had to do with inconsiderate noise on the lake. SOTD
Meaning not from this thread.

I have no issue with you bringing any opinion you wish to bring to this thread, I dont have to agree with you, but I would much rather see people venting on forums than passing new laws.

But grabbing snippets from different threads is generally not a good practice, and it’s a pet peeve of mine.

If thats your style, so be it, but by doing so you risk loosing folks who might be like minded to your issue and you may loose support.

Sorry for being preachy, but using quotes from different threads just strikes me a trolling for trouble as opposed to engaging in an honest and open debate.

If you see it differently, then we will have to agree to disagree about forum etiquette.
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
VtSteve (06-22-2010)
Old 06-22-2010, 08:43 AM   #15
GTO

Default try this...

Quote:

topwater

Life's to short to worry about the little things. Don't enjoy that 1 minute of time? Go inside and fix another cocktail, when you come back they will be gone. Easy solutions !!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pm203

Unbelievable. You are still crying about any boat that does not conform to your selfish standards. I find YOUR post irritating and disruptive. To actually come on here and start a thread like this makes me laugh. Hopefully, Don will delete it and put an end to your excessive whining.

I think we all just need get along.... there is no right to peace and quiet!

Woodsy

Dhuerty24

get a life!!

pm203 ------------------------------------------------------------------

Being a responsible law abiding citizen is a good thing. Being a selfish whiner always crying about what you dislike is a bad thing. If these boats are illegal due to excessive sound, then they will be challenged by the MP. If they are legal, you are just going to have it suck it up.Most of the boats on the lake are compliant. There are a few that are not. Starting this thread is just a public relations stunt to try and further your cause. You really need to move inland or adjust. This is the wrong lake to be on if you want tranquility 100% of the time, every day of the week.

topwater
Talking about " all about me " lmao, try re-reading your post !! Your words of pretending to care for the lake make me gag. And now YOU are throwing in History. Get a life, and if you do decide to keep your present one, do us all a favor and move back to your original state. Preach to them, they will probably jump right on your bandwagon with you.
EAR PLUGS or U-HAUL, very easy solutions to your MAJOR inconvience. Please think about what you are SAYING. Think about what you HAVE, Think about what others DO NOT have and maybe, just maybe you will see how wonderful you have it. As I mentioned earlier in a post, Life is way way to short to worry about the little things. Re-assess your priorities and and what is actually important in your life, and you should find, 1 minute of time a boat is passing your area is really not such a big thing. Remember, Life is what you make of it!!

gtagrip

Paleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze!!!!!!

VitaBene

I hope those nasty boats and motorcylcles do disturb your tranquil shangrli-la!

Sleep tight and say night night to EC (we bonded and have decided to become buddies) for me as well.

Express "YOUR" opinion....not those of others.
Rattlesnake Guy (06-22-2010)
Old 06-22-2010, 08:54 AM   #16
OCDACTIVE

sunset,

You know I always value your opinions and comments. But I don't think pulling posts from a "locked" thread into a new thread is a great idea. The webmaster didn't want the conversation to continue and bringing it here may just be exasperating the situation.

I agree that there are times people need to respect those around them when rafting. But it being one of my favorite things to do on the water I can say that out of the hundreds, if not thousands of boats that I have seen or experienced rafting with, only a hand few are "out of line". Most everyone are there simply for a great time to enjoy with others and are most helpful and respectful to those around them.
OCDACTIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OCDACTIVE For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-23-2010), LIforrelaxin (06-22-2010), Resident 2B (06-22-2010), Ropetow (06-23-2010), VtSteve (06-22-2010)
Old 06-22-2010, 09:05 AM   #17
XCR-700

Thumbs up

PBR, love your LakeBocaCam shot!

Not what I would want to do everyweekend, but it looks cool!!

Thanks and ENJOY!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #18
GTO

Default fully agree.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
sunset,

You know I always value your opinions and comments. But I don't think pulling posts from a "locked" thread into a new thread is a great idea. The webmaster didn't want the conversation to continue and bringing it here may just be exasperating the situation.

I agree that there are times people need to respect those around them when rafting. But it being one of my favorite things to do on the water I can say that out of the hundreds, if not thousands of boats that I have seen or experienced rafting with, only a hand few are "out of line". Most everyone are there simply for a great time to enjoy with others and are most helpful and respectful to those around them.

I am not opposed to rafting at all. Everyone enjoy the lake to its fullest....better to do it with a group of friends with other boats. My point was that there are a few that will ruin it for the rest, whether its by throwing trash, loud music/horns etc. This thread could easily in one to two years be people writing about how another area on the lake is now off limits to rafting but they will never say it was because the the few inconsiderate idiots that ruined it for everyone else, they will blame the state, marine patrol, laws, regulations, etc.
BroadHopper (06-23-2010), Gatto Nero (06-22-2010), OCDACTIVE (06-22-2010), VitaBene (06-22-2010)
Old 06-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #19
cowisl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paugus Bay Resident View Post
As a former LR resident, I wanted to share a picture from my new home. This isn't unusual for a nice weekend day. Boats from 10' to 100'. Notice the jet skis in the upper left corner, no 150' rule. Quite a change There's go fasts, go slows, dinks, mega yachts, everybody's just enjoying the day.
Nice pic. i was down there last weekend!
cowisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:57 AM   #20
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
I am not opposed to rafting at all. Everyone enjoy the lake to its fullest....better to do it with a group of friends with other boats. My point was that there are a few that will ruin it for the rest, whether its by throwing trash, loud music/horns etc. This thread could easily in one to two years be people writing about how another area on the lake is now off limits to rafting but they will never say it was because the the few inconsiderate idiots that ruined it for everyone else, they will blame the state, marine patrol, laws, regulations, etc.
Hi GTO, I think you nailed it and your sentiments about excessive (fill in the blank- speed, exhaust noise, stereo noise) are right on. Regardless of rules and laws, one or two boneheads can and will ruin it for the rest of us.

We need to be realistic, there are only a few folks here that want to see the lake as it was in 1700 (well I would love to see it, but only for a day). I like my powerboat, but I also feel that I am considerate in the use of it, including the volume control on the stereo.

Enjoy the day on the lake if you can, it looks like some rain will be moving through.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #21
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
sunset,

OCD nails it. Don should just pull that post by SOTD, which was obviously dragged from a closed thread. No reason to pull entire threads due to the actions of a few. Hey, that's what this thread is about isn't it?

Thanks OCD, for pointing out the obvious.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
KonaChick (06-23-2010)
Old 06-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #22
DC Pointer

I always have to remind myself that I abut a state park.
DC Pointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #23
jrc

We boaters should self police. If someone throws trash in the lake, pick it up and give them an earful.

If someone is being a jerk at the sandbar remind them that their behaviour reflects on all of us. And remind them that everyone has a camera these days.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
Baja Guy (06-25-2010), BroadHopper (06-23-2010), GTO (06-23-2010), Mee-n-Mac (06-23-2010), OCDACTIVE (06-23-2010), Winni P (06-23-2010), XCR-700 (06-28-2010)
Old 06-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #24
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Is really the root of the problem rafting or irresponsible behavior? If one or more persons decide to become belligerent, the number of physical boats present and how they happen to be anchored is inconsequential IMHO. Why not just rename the no rafting zones to no loitering zones, because I believe that's the intent of their existence.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-28-2010), OCDACTIVE (06-28-2010), VitaBene (06-28-2010)
Old 06-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #25
robmac

I can see my friends condo in the pic. Very cool.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:49 PM   #26
LDR4

Quote:
Here is my 2 cents on this... If you don't like to be around people having a good time, go someplace else!

I certainly don't condone the trash etc in the lake but as far as the music and horns go...{removed} Maybe you can start a book club and we can all meet there on Sat mornings and read all day!
I was there early in the morning that day and was one of the last to leave.
We had a great day and were not bothered by either the horns or the music.
LDR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #27
Jonas Pilot

LDR4 you won't find people using foul language on this site either spelled out or implied.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-05-2010), Skip (07-01-2010), webmaster (07-01-2010)
Old 07-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #28
GTO

Default you don't understand....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDR4 View Post
Here is my 2 cents on this... If you don't like to be around people having a good time, go someplace else!

I certainly don't condone the trash etc in the lake but as far as the music and horns go...{removed} Maybe you can start a book club and we can all meet there on Sat mornings and read all day!

I was trying to read but some idiot was playing loud music and blowing his horn.
VitaBene (07-02-2010)
Old 07-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #29
GTO

Default hey....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDR4 View Post

If you read my other reply, I said I have nothing against rafting and people having a good time, even playing your music....just be considerate of the other 45 boats around you.....but your reply just proves my point...it will be ruind by a few idiots.....or maybe by just one. now, back to my book......
Old 07-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #30
LDR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
LDR4 you won't find people using foul language on this site either spelled out or implied.
You are absolutely right and for that I apologize. As frustrated as I am with people thinking that winni should be "on Golden pond", I should not use or imply such words.
LDR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LDR4 For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (07-05-2010)