Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #101
jrc

Now I've heard it all.

Be honest, your in Erica's shoes, you hire an attorney and he talks to the prosecutor and the judge about your "mercy of the court" plan. They come back with 3 years in jail (about half the max) plus all the community service baloney. Plus your insurance company says that they won't pay if you're guilty (see Littlefield) so you personally will be on the hook for a multimillion dollar wrongful death suit.

Then your lawyer says for $50k to $100K, he can get expert witnesses and you have a better than 50/50 chance of walking away with a not guilty verdict. Say you have or can get the money.

Now be honest, you would do that to your family?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
topwater (04-23-2010)
Old 04-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #102
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Now I've heard it all.

Be honest, your in Erica's shoes, you hire an attorney and he talks to the prosecutor and the judge about your "mercy of the court" plan. They come back with 3 years in jail (about half the max) plus all the community service baloney. Plus your insurance company says that they won't pay if you're guilty (see Littlefield) so you personally will be on the hook for a multimillion dollar wrongful death suit.

Then your lawyer says for $50k to $100K, he can get expert witnesses and you have a better than 50/50 chance of walking away with a not guilty verdict. Say you have or can get the money.

jrc, couldn't have said it better myself.

With all due respect PIG, your morality sounds good in a hypothetical situation. But I think if it came down to it, the money would be flowing.
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #103
Pine Island Guy

Default just another perspective...

Hey, I said I was thinking out loud... who knows what any of us would really do in that situation...

but I will say that everyone does not react the same as you would (or think you would)... "guilt" can manifest itself many ways in people... look at people that are so overcome with guilt that they commit suicide after committing a crime... others write a book about how clever they were in both committing the crime and getting away with it (OJ anyone?)... some people are lucky and can stay 'above' the law for a long time, others, not so much...

Again, my main point of the story is that if people didn't try to weasel out of taking responsibility when they do get caught... we'd be in a better place...

just my opinion, go ahead and crucify me -PIG

p.s.
Quote:
It all depends, could I live with myself in the future? Look at outpouring of vitriol towards Erica since she took that stance with her lawyer... would I want to be that person and incur the hate of 90% of the people that have heard about this case? I think not...
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #104
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Island Guy View Post
Hey, I said I was thinking out loud... who knows what any of us would really do in that situation...

but I will say that everyone does not react the same as you would (or think you would)... "guilt" can manifest itself many ways in people... look at people that commit suicide after committing a crime... others write a book about how clever they were in both committing the crime and getting away with it (OJ anyone?)...

Again, my main point of the story is that if people didn't try to weasel out of taking responsibility when they do get caught... we'd be in a better place...

just my opinion, go ahead and crucify me -PIG
Not going to crucify you at all. And you're right, guilt can manifest itself in many ways. My point was and is, one hires the best defense one can with what is available to them. With that said, what if one is actually innocent and falsly accused of a crime. In CT. a few weeks ago, two men were released from prison after being falsly identified of committing murder. The person who identified these two men recanted her story after I think 27 years.

Now, if these two men had the means to hire the best lawyer money could buy at the time, it's possible they would not of had to spend 27 years in prison for a crime they did not committ.
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #105
Pine Island Guy

Default mixing apples and kiwis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtagrip View Post
With that said, what if one is actually innocent and falsly accused of a crime.
If I was falsely accused of a crime, I would absolutely pull out all the stops and do what ever necessary to get myself aquitted...
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #106
jrc

Sorry reading my post it does come off a little strong, not meant to crucify.

In a case like this, an unintended collision and death, I'm sure she feels falsely accused. She feels like she was sober enough and she feels she did her best to navigate safely. So living with the guilt might not really apply. Plus i'm sure here friends and family are not among the 90%.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #107
jeffk

Default Fair enough

Well, the legal system has completed the criminal trial process. I think it would have been a travesty to have killed someone with significant responsibility for that death and received no jail time. I think she is fortunate and got off lightly, and yes, that probably had something to do with her being in the family she is in and their money. She got a strong defense and that's the way the system works. It's a waste of energy to moan about it. I, personally, would have been a bit harsher but probably not too much more. She probably got less time than Littlefield because it was her friend that she
killed, that she was injured so badly herself, and she didn't flee the scene. There already was punishment from the circumstances as others have pointed out. That's how justice is supposed to work. The trial decides guilt based on facts (hopefully), the sentencing can take into account the complete circumstances.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if she qualifies for electronic monitoring she could still go to work, correct? They just have to set the terms of the monitoring to be at home or at work and allow for travel between the two places?
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #108
jeffk

Default Boy, I hope she learned more than you seem to imply

Quote:
Sorry reading my post it does come off a little strong, not meant to crucify.

In a case like this, an unintended collision and death, I'm sure she feels falsely accused. She feels like she was sober enough and she feels she did her best to navigate safely. So living with the guilt might not really apply. Plus i'm sure here friends and family are not among the 90%.
I don't think she was sober enough and certainly think she made very poor judgments about navigation considering the conditions. I fully accept that from a legal standpoint she has to maintain a strong posture of innocence.. That's understandable and a civil trial might still happen so she needs to be very careful about what she says publicly.

But from a personal standpoint if I was involved in an accident where my friend was killed and myself and another friend was severely injured I would be privately VERY aware of my responsibilities in the outcome. We will never know her inner thoughts but if she is thinking she was sober enough and didn't make any operating errors she is a very deluded woman and likely to repeat her mistakes. She screwed up badly. We all make mistakes but hopefully we recognize our responsibilities in the messes we make and make changes in our life to not allow a repeat of the problems we caused.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:35 PM   #109
Mee-n-Mac

Question Civil Suit

More than a few times I've heard mention of a (possible) civil suit. I may have detected some salivation as well. I ask, who is going to file such a suit ? Last I heard Ms Beaudoin's parents were opposed to jail time for Ms Blizzard. I find it hard to imagine they'll sue. I'm not 100% sure but I believe Ms Beaudoin wasn't married (hence she has been referred to as Ms Beaudoin) so I don't see a husband suing. She didn't have children so that's not a possibility either. I don't think the the staute applies to siblings so her brother and sisters can't sue. So I don't see a lawsuit forthcoming.

http://www.currentobituary.com/Memor..._ObitdID=51057
Old 04-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #110
Rattlesnake Guy

Default My experience in the juror

I can tell you that from personal experience sitting on juries that many jurors don't trust the obvious high priced and outstanding attorneys. I am not convinced that hiring the best is all good and can be very off putting to some of us. I was impressed with the skill and enjoyed the manipulation attempts. Jury's are a cross section of folks who are not always easily manipulated one way or the other. A high priced attorney may reduce the risk of incompetence and lack of effort but it does not buy the jury by any means. Remember the jury is made up of passionate people like you find on this forum. They don't agree either.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #111
ApS

Arrow .08 is the DUI threshold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
"...I can tell you that from personal experience sitting on juries that many jurors don't trust the obvious high priced and outstanding attorneys...A high priced attorney may reduce the risk of incompetence and lack of effort but it does not buy the jury by any means..."
There is a huge difference.

The State had just one expert witness on the boating crash: Lt. Dunleavey.

A high-priced defense attorney can bring in a dozen boat expert witnesses—then select the one who can present the best crash "story".

The defense can also "purchase" the silence of any other boat experts. (Keeping them "on retainer", and never calling them at all for any reason).

The jury and the media will never hear—or learn of—any of those "missing" expert witnesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
"...Remember the jury is made up of passionate people like you find on this forum. They don't agree either..."
Impassionate people should recall that among the three parties to this crash, the average BAC was .13 . With shoreline or another boater, this was a fatality waiting for impact.

Passionate people will call this "an accident".
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:23 AM   #112
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Let this rest

People,

We need to let this rest. There was a time and place to banter about these arguments. The trial has come and gone. A verdict has been passed down and so has a sentence. The original facts have been place before we have debated them. There is no sense in re-debating them.

If there is an appeal, I will debate with anyone the grounds of the appeal, but for goodness sake lets let the original stuff go. It is over. decision final. We have a verdict. Buy a Jury, it can not be over turned, with out an appeal with legal standing. This is the American Legal system showing us how it works. And it is working.

The families and loved one deserve a break. Some of whom are members of this forum, and have spoken up form time to time. Some of you may not realize who I am refering to but I do.

Let this issue rest.
BroadHopper (05-15-2010), Eagle (04-27-2010), ike (04-27-2010), OCDACTIVE (04-28-2010), robmac (04-28-2010), Ropetow (05-15-2010), trfour (04-27-2010), upthesaukee (04-27-2010)
Old 05-10-2010, 06:16 AM   #113
ApS

Exclamation "Seeds" of a Civil Suit Begin to Appear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
"...More than a few times I've heard mention of a (possible) civil suit...I find it hard to imagine they'll sue..."
The June issue of Soundings magazine has a sidebar on boating safety that relates to "good seamanship skills"—that stretches across three pages—and quotes this Diamond Island crash case.

(Crash Highlights Perils of Night Boating
Soundings).

Of all the accounts we've seen in the local press, none contains all that appears in this two-page article in Soundings.

These quotes (which appear critical to a civil suit, IMO) are accredited to Edgar Beaudoin:

Quote:
"...'It was total negligence all the way', says Beaudoin..."
and...

Quote:
"...'total negligence and a poor choice of judgement'..."
and...

Quote:
"...'Find out how many feet of water [the boat] was in, drop the anchor, and ride it out till (sic) morning. It was 2-3 o'clock in the morning. There was a place for people to sleep'..."
Including never-before-seen quotes by NHMP's Lt. Dunleavey, this comprehensive article hasn't appeared on the Internet (as yet—or if ever), but Soundings' June issue would be available "at better newstands".

(Black's newstand, in Wolfeboro, comes to mind).
Old 05-11-2010, 06:44 AM   #114
fatlazyless

....come on somebody here...I don't want to buy the whole magazine...I just want to read the one article.....could someone do me a favor and scan the article and post it here....thanks in advance...otherwise I'll have to wait for it to show up at the Water St 2nd-hand store, magazine rack for 10-cents...

...say, ...... Heath's over in Centre Harbor might carry Soundings in their magazine rack and one could read the entire article while sipping a freebie cup of Vermont coffee...is Heath's a great super market or is Heath's a great super market!

...understand the Rt 93 negligent driving charge while texting has been pleaded 'not guilty, your Honor" and will be going to a trial.....wonder if that will be a jury of six, twelve, or just one judge or magistrate? (today's Laconia Daily Sun)
Old 05-14-2010, 06:01 AM   #115
OCDACTIVE

Its finally over for good.. Report on WMUR that the state will not re-try the case.

I for one am very relieved that it is over and this tragedy can be put behind us and the families are able to go on without the media interferring with their lives.
BroadHopper (05-15-2010), NoRegrets (05-14-2010), VtSteve (05-14-2010)
Old 05-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #116
secondcurve

Does this also mean that she isn't appealing her conviction on the lesser charges? Is she serving her time now?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #117
RI Swamp Yankee

That was the agreement, no appeal, no retrial.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #118
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Is she serving her time now?
According to the press reports after her sentencing, she was supposed to begin serving her time on June 1 but I read in one of the newspaper articles regarding the decision not to retry that they might be asking for a delay for her to begin because of the possibility of more surgery.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #119
Skip

Post Blizzard behind bars, minus her luggage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
According to the press reports after her sentencing, she was supposed to begin serving her time on June 1 but I read in one of the newspaper articles regarding the decision not to retry that they might be asking for a delay for her to begin because of the possibility of more surgery.
Her Attorney did indeed ask for another delay, but it was opposed by the prosecutor and denied by the Judge.

Blizzard entered jail today.

Full story can be read at the Union Leader HERE.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:38 AM   #120
Skip

Post Citizen story with further detail

Additional story with more details can be read on-line HERE at the Citizen site.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:39 AM   #121
ApS

Default "It is difficult to make predictions, especially about the future"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
"...It's finally over for good..."
The previous headlines can't be so easily dismissed...and we can't know what the future holds.

But as this case fades from the headlines, I recently stumbled upon a prophetic post from this forum.

Just three months after "Ice-Out, 2008", a problem boater brought this quote to reality:

Quote:
"...Or one can captain one's boat in a sane manner, and pray that problem boaters with problem boats don't take that first drink of alcoholic beverage for the next two seasons..."
Edited to Add:

Newbies to this case can read about it here:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=6190

Last edited by ApS; 06-05-2010 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Forgot to include Newbies...
Old 06-12-2010, 06:07 AM   #122
Skip

Post Blizzard fallout continues

More penalties levied, trial regarding reckless driving on the horizon.

Full story in today's Citizen can be read HERE....
Old 06-12-2010, 06:30 AM   #123
tis

Thanked 1,380 Times in 956 Posts

The thing that hits me in the face about that is they keep saying this is NOT A LICENSE. It is just a safety course.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:46 AM   #124
Skip

Default Certificate revocation or suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
The thing that hits me in the face about that is they keep saying this is NOT A LICENSE. It is just a safety course.
Good point tis.

We have had this discussion before with some posters adamant that the State cannot revoke the certificate once it is issued.

However, in the case of the State of New Hampshire the law clearly states that after the appropriate hearing held by the Department of Safety the State does indeed have the authority to revoke the certificate it has issued for cause.

The rub?

The individual can then obtain a certificate from another State and operate legally. Director Barrett has publicly admitted this flaw and is working with the Legislature to correct this flaw.

However, the Hearings Officer has attempted to nullify this loophole by not only revoking the certificate for the maximum of one year, but to further suspend Blizzard's right to operate a vessel for a total of three years.

This additional three year suspension is in murkier legal waters, and an appeal by Moir could set a precedent to it's legality or force the Legislature to address any shortfalls in present law.

Why is this important?

If you are one of the number of New Hampshire residents operating on a legally obtained Certificate issued by another State, or using an approved Coast Guard or Auxiliary issued certificate/license then the State does not have an ability to suspend or revoke that certificate. That leaves them with a second option of suspending your right to operate within the State. Moir is intending to appeal this process. If he is succesful then until the laws are changed or modified convicted offenders will be able to operate a vessel regardless of the severity of their crime or the perceived abilty the State has on their ability to safely operate a vessel.

I expect it will be addressed either way in the next legislative session.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-12-2010)
Old 06-12-2010, 07:42 AM   #125
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default New and existing laws.

Why is it that the state can't get their laws right the first time? The legislature spends too much time trying to fix current laws that are not right and or have loopholes.

They should take a hint from the corporate world. When a corporation enact a new policy, it is scrutinized by their legal eagles, finance dept as well as the board of directors. Once the policy is OK by the depts, then it becomes legal.

Seems like politics takes the ready, shoot, then aim approach. Know wonder the state and nation is in such a mess.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 06-12-2010 at 10:10 AM.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #126
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post

Seems like politics takes the ready, shoot, then aim approach. No under the state and nation is in such a mess.
OK technically not a state law, but have you read the new federal health care law? (just joking, no one has). But my point is that knee-jerk laws are pretty common in the political world.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #127
XCR-700

Default RE: Why is it important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
I expect it will be addressed either way in the next legislative session.
What strikes me as interesting about this issue and so many others like it is that the legislature will expend significant time and effort on this public safety matter, largely because someone, some group, or some event brought attention to the issue.

Beyond the details of the issue of concern, people will argue that if the law, rule, statue, saves even one life its worth it.

Well I cannot argue with any of that, but it all begs the question of what is the actual risk?

By that I mean likely hood of this potential event to happen, and I would expect hard numbers of actual events, not near misses, not polls showing numbers of people who have great concern for the matter or who have a paralyzing fear it could happen to them or strong preference for the law, rule statue. Show me the hard numbers of actual events!

Once you have that irrefutable data in hand, then you really have to ask the cold and hard question, how does this rank alongside all the other matters that the same legislative body should, could, might focus on.

Is some cases, we agree that the likelihood is very low, but the potential impact is worth focusing on this issue before other more likely situations.

So we pass laws to keep dynamite out of hardware stores before we deal with road safety matters because of the tremendous dangers associated with explosives.

And most are in agreement with such prioritization, but when you start talking about boating safety in the northeast where we get 2 – 3 good months for boating, and that the issues of concern use up extended periods of the legislatures time to address, then I ask you to consider what you are accomplishing.

Are there really so many accidents and fatalities on NH waters that these issues truly warrant putting them ahead of the many other issues that they could be focusing on?

As I am not a resident I cannot say specifically what other matters might come before boating safety, but I suspect there are plenty.

And for those who will ridicule this perspective, please just show me the real numbers because the ones I have seen don’t seem to make me fear for my safety on NH waters, just the opposite in fact, and unfortunately there is only so much time and money in the Government pool, and the legislature will have to pass up something else to deal with your boating safety issues.

As NH residents its your choice, but you might take a moment and step back and take a holistic view of Government and public resources and make sure you have really considered where you want to expend those finite resources. I for one would have a very long list of concerns that comes ahead of boating certificate regulations and boating speed limits and some of these other issues that just dont seem to have hard public safety numbers to support the concern being expressed by some here.

Eeek that’s was a long post,,, Better take a breath,,,
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
Dave R (06-12-2010), Hezman (06-12-2010)
Old 06-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #128
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
....Full story in today's Citizen can be read HERE....
The story refers to RSA 270 E: 10 -

Marine Patrol also filed a request to suspended Blizzard's boating registration under RSA 270 E: 10 that gives the Commissioner of the Department of Safety the authority to rule that a boat owner is "physically or mentally an improper or incompetent person to operate a vessel" or "is operating improperly or so as to endanger the public." DuClos said Attorney Seymour issued the ruling, not Commissioner John Barthelmes.

but that RSA doesn't match the story (quoted above)

270-E:10 Notice of Transfer; Destruction or Abandonment. – The owner shall furnish the department written notice of the transfer of all or any part of his or her interest, other than the creation of a security interest, in a vessel registered in this state pursuant to this chapter or the destruction or abandonment of such vessel within 15 days of its transfer, destruction, or abandonment. ........

Did MP or The Citizen get it wrong
Old 06-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #129
Skip

Post Correct RSA is 270-E:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
The story refers to RSA 270 E: 10 -

Marine Patrol also filed a request to suspended Blizzard's boating registration under RSA 270 E: 10 that gives the Commissioner of the Department of Safety the authority to rule that a boat owner is "physically or mentally an improper or incompetent person to operate a vessel" or "is operating improperly or so as to endanger the public." DuClos said Attorney Seymour issued the ruling, not Commissioner John Barthelmes.

but that RSA doesn't match the story (quoted above)

270-E:10 Notice of Transfer; Destruction or Abandonment. – The owner shall furnish the department written notice of the transfer of all or any part of his or her interest, other than the creation of a security interest, in a vessel registered in this state pursuant to this chapter or the destruction or abandonment of such vessel within 15 days of its transfer, destruction, or abandonment. ........

Did MP or The Citizen get it wrong
Good catch!

Probably a typo as the correct RSA is 270-E:17

... 270-E:17 Revocation of Registration. – In addition to any other authority provided by law, the commissioner is hereby authorized to revoke or suspend any registration issued pursuant to this chapter or any privilege to operate a boat, or both, upon a showing that:
I. The owner has violated any provision of this chapter, RSA 270, RSA 270-A, RSA 270-B, or any rules adopted under these chapters, or has allowed another person to violate any of these laws or rules.
II. The owner has failed to pay the boat fee required by RSA 72-A:2.
III. The owner is physically or mentally an improper or incompetent person to operate a vessel or is operating improperly or so as to endanger the public.
IV. The owner has defaulted on a court summons arising from a violation of boating laws or rules.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
RI Swamp Yankee (06-12-2010)
Old 06-18-2010, 02:49 AM   #130
ApS

Red face Found It—They DO Have a Website...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
"...come on somebody here...I don't want to buy the whole magazine...I just want to read the one article.....could someone do me a favor and scan the article and post it here...thanks in advance...otherwise I'll have to wait for it to show up at the Water St 2nd-hand store, magazine rack for 10-cents..."
A few details are incorrect, but a long summary of "the incident" can be read here:

http://www.soundingsonline.com/featu...-night-boating
Old 06-18-2010, 11:15 AM   #131
VtSteve

That sure was worth waiting for Kidding, a nice wrap up, except Moir's statement about coming off plane, which if not completed, directly contradict testimony by his client.

Nothing earth-shattering or new, but a good summary. They even have the lake's fatalities correct.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote