Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
Airwaves

Default Paddle Smart ID Sticker

The Coast Guard has launched a campaign to ID owners of paddle and non-motorized vessels.
Quote:
Adrift, unmanned paddle craft such as canoes and kayaks, are considered a sign of distress and rescue crews are launched to search for a potential missing person.
I personally think this is an excellent idea...and it's FREE!
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Airwaves For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (04-19-2010), LIforrelaxin (04-19-2010), trfour (04-18-2010), upthesaukee (04-18-2010)
Old 04-18-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
fatlazyless

Seems like a good idea. Any chance the NH Marine Patrol in Glendale (Gilford) could supply these canoe-kayak, small non-registered boat ID stickers either for free or for a low price like five cents each? Well....ok...maybe ten cents each, but not any more than ten cents each! Free would be ok, too!

Wonder if they stick okay to kayaks made from rotomolded, polypropolene plastic which can be problematic?
Old 04-19-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
Kamper

You could always use a magic-marker and refesh it periodically. It's harder to remove than a sticker. I see no need for government involvement at all.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
fatlazyless

Yes, that's true, a $1.29 black magic marker could easily be used.

So, why does the Coast Guard chose to promote these stickers. Do they do a better job or get more to use them?
Old 04-19-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Whether or not people get the stickers from the coast guard, doesn't matter, but the information on the boat with a black sharpie. I think after reading the article here, all the coast guard is trying to do is help people out. They have created a sticker to mark as an example of information that should be provided, and will also give an owner and easy way to provide said information. If you put that sticker on the inside of the kayak, by the seat there should be any problems as long as you make sure the surface is dry, and clean.

This is one of the better projects started by a govt agency in a while. I also noticed that the article came from Lake Champlain. Which having lived over there, is noted for sudden changes in weather, and often beached, canoes, kayaks, and row boats find there way out onto the lake.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
Airwaves

Default The easiest way to get the sticker

I know there are some members of the USCG Aux and Power Squadron on this forum. May I suggest that you contact your Marine Dealer Visitor Officer and suggest that they get these pamphlets and distribute them to outlets that sell these types of boats and equipment?

Once it catches on the dealers themselves will probably stay on top of it as a service to their customers.

Meanwhile if anyone wants one I would just drop the CG Public Affairs office a note or give them a call and ask for them.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
Belmont Resident

Default most dealers are not interrested

Dealers around the lake sell boats. I’ve not met one that has the time to promote things like this.
Take for instance the boater safety card that we are all required to have with us while driving our boat.
How many are asked to provide this when you register your boat? I've never been.
You should not be able to register your boat without providing them with your card, it is required to boat on NH waterways.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
Airwaves

Orginally posted by Belmont Resident
Quote:
Dealers around the lake sell boats. I’ve not met one that has the time to promote things like this.
Take for instance the boater safety card that we are all required to have with us while driving our boat.
How many are asked to provide this when you register your boat? I've never been.
You should not be able to register your boat without providing them with your card, it is required to boat on NH waterways.
My mistake then.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:48 AM   #9
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
You don't have to have a certificate to own a boat, and you don't have to have a certificate to register a boat either. The only requirement is that the driver of the boat (who is not always the boat owner) have a certificate. That is why they don't ask.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:15 AM   #10
topwater

All canoes and kayaks should be REQUIRED to have a sticker on there bows!! If they are on the NH public waters, they should pay just like and other watercraft. No magic marker, actuall pay cash to the State of New Hampshire! What makes canoe owners or kayak owners any different then speed boat owners? Other then they cry alot more. Pony up boys and girls, it will be coming to a yard in your neighborhood soon. Safety comes with A COST. You yell and scream because you don't feel safe on the waters of NH because of the speed boats, stop crying and kick in some cash for your canoes and kayaks, then there MIGHT be enough to hire additional MP.
Damn I feel good!
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:32 AM   #11
Island Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
You could always use a magic-marker and refesh it periodically. It's harder to remove than a sticker. I see no need for government involvement at all.
I use this method. In very large print on the bottom of my kayaks I write my name, cell phone number and address of where I stay on the lake. I write it in sharpie and refresh every year.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:01 AM   #12
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater View Post
All canoes and kayaks should be REQUIRED to have a sticker on there bows!! If they are on the NH public waters, they should pay just like and other watercraft. No magic marker, actuall pay cash to the State of New Hampshire! What makes canoe owners or kayak owners any different then speed boat owners? Other then they cry alot more. Pony up boys and girls, it will be coming to a yard in your neighborhood soon. Safety comes with A COST. You yell and scream because you don't feel safe on the waters of NH because of the speed boats, stop crying and kick in some cash for your canoes and kayaks, then there MIGHT be enough to hire additional MP.
Damn I feel good!
Sounds like someone got up on the wrong side of the SL.
sunset on the dock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:12 AM   #13
jmen24

Quote:
Damn I feel good!
Broad brush, we are not all like that. I do not know personally a paddler that whines about not being safe on a large lake. Most understand that with that adventure comes a price and they accept that risk on their own. Most stick to themselves.

Quite a few do whine about these things it seems though, so I understand where you are coming from. I don't typically hang with the "hippy, I am going to make life better for you and me" types, so maybe that is why I don't hear the whining.

I have said it before that I would have no issue with paying for a sticker for my boat, as long as every dollar goes to fish and game and not marine patrol.
Something would need to be written in to protect commercial operations such as guiding and rentals, it would not be fair to ask a outfitter to pay say $10 for 20 or 30 boats, flat $100 commercial fee would be fine.

I buy a hunting license because I choose to participate in that sport.
I buy a white mountain access sticker because I choose to hike in that area.
I would buy a canoe "reg" decal because I choose to own and use one of those boats.

All choices, that I can stop at any moment.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:26 AM   #14
topwater

Point taken Jmen, however on the other side of the coin is the reason why the SPEED LIMIT was en-acted. SAFETY, was the outcry of the canoers and kayakers, how they did not feel safe on NH waters anymore. You may check any thread on here about speed limits/safety and that is always brought up.
Thats where I am coming from! Maybe NH can create a bill to go to Johnny desk, " No Pay -- No Paddle " Just think how much more money that could generate for the state of NH. I believe Johnny would love that! I'll buy the first one, but I don't drink while on the water. But thats another whole story in its self. (Safety Story)
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:33 AM   #15
jmen24

Quote:
Point taken Jmen, however on the other side of the coin is the reason why the SPEED LIMIT was en-acted. SAFETY, was the outcry of the canoers and kayakers, how they did not feel safe on NH waters anymore. You may check any thread on here about speed limits/safety and that is always brought up.
Thats where I am coming from! Maybe NH can create a bill to go to Johnny desk, " No Pay -- No Paddle " Just think how much more money that could generate for the state of NH. I believe Johnny would love that! I'll buy the first one, but I don't drink while on the water. But thats another whole story in its self. (Safety Story)
Oh, I know how and why the SL was passed, you can read back in the threads and see a very similar comment from me regarding the whiners. I think we are on the same page, just wanted you to know that when you see us at the launches, we are not all evil. You won't see me at the lake with my canoe though, you'll have to venture further from the crowds.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #16
ApS

Smile Smart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Life View Post
I use this method. In very large print on the bottom of my kayaks I write my name, cell phone number and address of where I stay on the lake. I write it in sharpie and refresh every year.
That's a really good idea and another good way to protect one's boat from theft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
Sounds like someone got up on the wrong side of the SL.
Maybe the one who started:

Quote:
We Can't See Kayaks

A decal isn't going to improve that.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:03 PM   #17
Grady223

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Seems like a good idea. Any chance the NH Marine Patrol in Glendale (Gilford) could supply these canoe-kayak, small non-registered boat ID stickers either for free or for a low price like five cents each? Well....ok...maybe ten cents each, but not any more than ten cents each! Free would be ok, too!

Wonder if they stick okay to kayaks made from rotomolded, polypropolene plastic which can be problematic?
I have a 17 foot rotomolded polypropolene Triumph boat. Tags stick fine to it.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #18
Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
The Coast Guard has launched a campaign to ID owners of paddle and non-motorized vessels.

I personally think this is an excellent idea...and it's FREE!

Government meddling with the lives of kayakers now. Soon they'll make us install GPS in all kayaks so they can be tracked.

Maybe next we should be required to place a sticker on our kayaks certifying that we have health insurance before we can paddle.

Oh wait, everyone will be insured soon!
Old 04-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #19
Airwaves

Time to start lining your hat with tinfoil again heh?

No one is forcing you to do anything although I would certainly advocate that the Marine Patrol and Coast Guard charge the owners of canoes, kayaks etc that trigger an unnecessary search and rescue operation for the cost of the operation similar to the way the NH Fish and Game charges hikers that need rescuing that are deemed to have been unprepared or negligent.

That free decal would look pretty good if you have to start writing checks to reimburse the government.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:11 AM   #20
ApS

Talking Polypropylene: The Old Teflon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady223 View Post
I have a 17 foot rotomolded polypropolene Triumph boat. Tags stick fine to it.
C'mon...what "tags" would those be?

Duct tape won't stick to them for very long—even the manufacturer's decals will fall off!

28pitt

Last edited by ApS; 10-21-2010 at 01:51 AM.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:07 AM   #21
Belmont Resident

Default chipj29

You don't have to have a certificate to own a boat, and you don't have to have a certificate to register a boat either. The only requirement is that the driver of the boat (who is not always the boat owner) have a certificate. That is why they don't ask.
04-19-2010 09:02 PM
Airwaves Orginally posted by Belmont Resident

Who the heck registers a boat and does not drive it?
Read what you posted you make no sense at all with that comment.
In all actuality you should be required to produce your driver’s license when you register which I’ve not been required to produce either.
There are and have been many of us that would like to see a sticker system in place that indicates the owner of the boat did take a boater safety course. This would give the MP a reason to pull more of the vacationing boaters many who have no clue as to what they are or should be doing off the lake.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:01 AM   #22
chipj29

Quote:
04-19-2010 09:02 PM
Airwaves Orginally posted by Belmont Resident

Who the heck registers a boat and does not drive it?
Read what you posted you make no sense at all with that comment.
In all actuality you should be required to produce your driver’s license when you register which I’ve not been required to produce either.
There are and have been many of us that would like to see a sticker system in place that indicates the owner of the boat did take a boater safety course. This would give the MP a reason to pull more of the vacationing boaters many who have no clue as to what they are or should be doing off the lake.
Ummmm...well I have had my wife register my PWC in the past, and she doesn't drive it. She won't even go on it. She does not have a boaters cert. That makes plenty of sense to me.

When I registered it a couple weeks ago at Concord DMV, they asked for my drivers license.

Although I agree that there could be a better way to identify boaters who do not have a boaters cert, a sticker would simply NOT work. Let me give you a hypothetical example:

*I own a boat which is kept at my dock. I have my boaters cert, therefore there is a sticker on my boat. On weekends, I have family and friends come visit me. Being the nice guy that I am, I let my brother take his family out in my boat, even though he does not have his boaters cert. The boat has a sticker saying that the owner (Me) has a cert, but what good does that do when the guy driving does not have a cert?

*Disclaimer-This is very hypothetical, as I do not own a boat (I own a PWC), I do not have a dock, and I do not have a brother. I do however have my boaters cert.

Why would a sticker work? The boat is not required to be certified, as the boat does not drive itself. The driver of the boat (at the time it is being driven) needs to be certified.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:31 AM   #23
jmen24

I think a tattoo somewhere on the face that either reads "certified" or a agreed upon logo would solve the issue.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #24
Belmont Resident

Default you just proved my point chip

While it is not a perfect fix it would be a start.
As long as we have ignorant people who knowingly let someone who does not have a cert drive their boat there will be a need for improvement. And it does not matter weather they have driven all their life or not it’s still the law.
I believe Woodsy states it perfectly when he says “you cannot legislate ignorant”.
Your actions would fall into this category.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:24 PM   #25
Airwaves

That would put an end to mail in registration renewals and force everyone to travel to the town hall in NH in which their boat is registered. Another anti-tourism move if you ask me. Just look at the pole asking how far away from the lake that people live. 70% of the people responding live over 50 miles from the lake, most of them obviously from out of state.

Now, that said, what has that got to do with a FREE sticker to identify the owner of an unregistered boat that, if adrift, would spark a search for a missing person?
Old 04-22-2010, 07:28 AM   #26
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
That would put an end to mail in registration renewals and force everyone to travel to the town hall in NH in which their boat is registered. Another anti-tourism move if you ask me. Just look at the pole asking how far away from the lake that people live. 70% of the people responding live over 50 miles from the lake, most of them obviously from out of state.

Now, that said, what has that got to do with a FREE sticker to identify the owner of an unregistered boat that, if adrift, would spark a search for a missing person?
While I agree that it would create more of an inconvience, you would have a reason to travel to that town anyway. Most town halls are open on Saturdays, so a quick stop in the morning the first weekend up doesn't sound all that difficult. Kind of like taking a dump run.

The folks that do not own property in the state would have to make the time to take one of your days off to come up and register at a DMV. I think Mass has what like 30 holidays a year, pick one, obviously less but you get my point.

In my book, if you own a home in the state you are moving away from being a tourist.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #27
chipj29

Quote:
While it is not a perfect fix it would be a start.
As long as we have ignorant people who knowingly let someone who does not have a cert drive their boat there will be a need for improvement. And it does not matter weather they have driven all their life or not it’s still the law.
I believe Woodsy states it perfectly when he says “you cannot legislate ignorant”.
Your actions would fall into this category.
I completely disagree, but will not argue my point as I don't want to derail this thread any longer. To sum up my opinion:

A boat with a sticker does not mean that the operator of the boat has a certificate. Period.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #28
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow And ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
I completely disagree, but will not argue my point as I don't want to derail this thread any longer. To sum up my opinion:

A boat with a sticker does not mean that the operator of the boat has a certificate. Period.
I'll further add that a certified operator is no guarantee of competency at the helm.