Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2014, 07:53 AM   #1
JTA

Default Blueberry troubles

My waterfront wild blueberries on Cow Island were flowering very nicely. A couple of days ago I noticed that most of the flowers were dried up and brown. The same thing happened last year. Normally we get lots of berries. Anyone know what's going on?
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
Dave R

The flowers probably weren't pollinated. Start or borrow a honey bee colony.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
JTA (06-22-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
Lakegeezer

Default bees are too busy

Similar problem here. Only one bee was buzzing around, with way too many blossoms to visit. Could have been a good year but now it doesn't look like it.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #4
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

No more honey bees....I've read that it's due to the all of the Aerial spraying going on.
I know it sounds like a crazy conspiracy,but a few weeks ago I was at a lacross game at the meadows in Gilford on a totally clear day.We noticed several planes leaving a thick trail from horizon to horizon when normal jet contrails evaporate right away.
Anyway,as many as 10 planes crossed over as far as we could see and the contrails expanded until the whole sky was a milky haze.
I googled it up and saw a lot of disturbing theories about spraying for climate control etc.
Just throwing that out there....who knows?
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #5
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
No more honey bees....I've read that it's due to the all of the Aerial spraying going on.
I know it sounds like a crazy conspiracy,but a few weeks ago I was at a lacross game at the meadows in Gilford on a totally clear day.We noticed several planes leaving a thick trail from horizon to horizon when normal jet contrails evaporate right away.
Anyway,as many as 10 planes crossed over as far as we could see and the contrails expanded until the whole sky was a milky haze.
I googled it up and saw a lot of disturbing theories about spraying for climate control etc.
Good Luck with that!

A few years ago I was camping in an area 2 hours North of Millinocket, ME and saw the same thing, seems like a waste of money given the maybe 200 people within 100 square miles of where we were!

Or it could be the way super accelerated air reacts when it is slammed into sub-freezing moisture rich air? Check the weather (beyond the colorful pictures with today's temps) the next time you notice this "spraying". It will save you thousands on Rx meds and therapy bills!

Back to the pollination issue!

Don't be afraid to pollinate the flowers yourself. Just like a veg garden you can help mother nature by using a feather or something similar and just dusting the flowers lightly. I have found that really participating in my flower beds and gardening is more relaxing than any other activity I have tried. It is a great way to wash off the work week and start each weekend fresh!
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (06-20-2014), mhtranger (06-20-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2014, 09:19 AM   #6
Lakegeezer

Quote:
There are lots of articles on the conspiracy angle, but it appears to be a zombie theory (dead but still walking). Debunked here , on WikiPedia and Discovery Channel's Mythbusters. However, a related theory is that normal byproduct contrails impact the weather. There was a report this week that describes research theorizing that rerouting flights into zones where contrails don't last as long, will help reduce the human impact on climate change.

This is probably not the main cause of honey bees disappearing, but hopefully they will return or a cause will be found and addressed. Spraying, aerial or not, is a likely cause.

Last edited by Lakegeezer; 06-20-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Lakegeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:10 AM   #7
Orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Don't be afraid to pollinate the flowers yourself. Just like a veg garden you can help mother nature by using a feather or something similar and just dusting the flowers lightly. I have found that really participating in my flower beds and gardening is more relaxing than any other activity I have tried. It is a great way to wash off the work week and start each weekend fresh!
Plant sex. Boy, has this thread degenerated.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Orion For This Useful Post:
Waterbaby (06-23-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 07:18 AM   #8
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Plant sex. Boy, has this thread degenerated.
Now that is funny!
Old 06-23-2014, 07:29 AM   #9
PaugusBayFireFighter

It's called colony collapse disorder or CCD. Scientists have not concluded the source of the problem but it's certainly not from some silly conspiracy theory like "chem trails".

Last edited by PaugusBayFireFighter; 06-23-2014 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Playing nice for the simple
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
chattypatty (06-23-2014), Natt (06-28-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #10
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
It's called colony collapse disorder or CCD. Scientists have not concluded the source of the problem but it's certainly not from some silly consp iracy theory like "chem trails".
Most people know that jet exhaust is just water vapor and dissipates within 100' or so,from a plane at 30,000 feet.
Conspiracy theory or not.....water vapor does not turn a clear blue sky milky.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #11
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Most people know that jet exhaust is just water vapor and dissipates within 100' or so,from a plane at 30,000 feet.
Sure it does, we've had milky skies way before stupid humans walked the earth... and it's all water vapor.
Sadly, common sense and logic tend to be purposely suspended when it comes to conspiracy crap. The same loons that promote 911 being a government inside job, moon landings not happening, etc, etc., support chem trails.
Anyone can choose which side of reality you want to be associated with, it's a free world. People are allowed to be dolts.
Tin foil hats tend to get warm this time of year...be safe.

Here is some info you SHOULD use but may choose to ignore...

"Contrail, streamer of cloud sometimes observed behind an airplane flying in clear, cold, humid air. It forms upon condensation of the water vapour produced by the combustion of fuel in the airplane engines. When the ambient relative humidity is high, the resulting ice-crystal plume may last for several hours. The trail may be distorted by the winds, and sometimes it spreads outwards to form a layer of cirrus cloud."

Encyclopædia Britannica.Retrieved May 4, 2007,from Encyclopædia Britannica Online:
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
Natt (06-28-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #12
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

I agree with you Sam. We watch the sky a lot and those lines are NOT contrails. We see contrails, but those are markedly different. And we see them in places that have no normal jet traffic.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:46 PM   #13
SAMIAM

Quote:
Sure it does, we've had milky skies way before stupid humans walked the earth... and it's all water vapor.
Sadly, common sense and logic tend to be purposely suspended when it comes to conspiracy crap. The same loons that promote 911 being a government inside job, moon landings not happening, etc, etc., support chem trails.
Anyone can choose which side of reality you want to be associated with, it's a free world. People are allowed to be dolts.

"Contrail, streamer of cloud sometimes observed behind an airplane flying in clear, cold, humid air. It forms upon condensation of the water vapour produced by the combustion of fuel in the airplane engines. When the ambient relative humidity is high, the resulting ice-crystal plume may last for several hours. The trail may be distorted by the winds, and sometimes it spreads outwards to form a layer of cirrus cloud."

Encyclopædia Britannica.Retrieved May 4, 2007,from Encyclopædia Britannica Online:
They have a name for people who believe everything that the government tells them.....they are called "sheep"
Old 06-23-2014, 12:54 PM   #14
Just Sold

Quote:
I work right next to the Manchester Boston Airport and at lunch I spend my time with a view of one of the runways and I can see contrails new and ones that are quite old (hour plus) so your photo looks quite like a very familiar sight to me. There is nothing suspicious about it at all. There are a lot of high altitude air traffic (civilain and military) flying over NH from Europe as well as elsewhere. E to W and W to E.

Last edited by Just Sold; 06-23-2014 at 12:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:58 PM   #15
granitebox

Really? This is what we have come to.
granitebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #16
Crusty

Default Bees, contrails, blueberries, and climate change

Well, since you brought it up...

I used to have some 25 beehives (I still have the suit) and there have always been conditions that result in hive loss. In my day, it was American and European foul-brood and bee mites. There was also considerable damage caused by pesticide spraying on fields that were in bloom. [There should be a law.] It is my considered opinion, backed by experience and research. that of all the things that kill bees, "jet contrails" are not among them.

By the way, you can easily tell the difference between a jet contrail and a crop spraying contrail. First of all, jet contrails are produced by jet aircraft, usually at 10's of thousands of feet in the air. They tend to spread and hang in the air for a long time. Crop spraying contrails are produced by propeller-driven aircraft flying at about 100 feet in the air. The spray quickly descends onto the crops as it does no good while in the air.

The only non-crop spraying I'm aware of is for mosquito control. This is generally applied via ground-based fogging machines. Some government agencies have been known to spray malathion from aircraft during extreme mosquito infestations but they tend to limit this, partly since it is very lethal for bees.

There is one really interesting thing about the actual jet contrails... When all aircraft were grounded following the 9/11 attacks, several scientists were able to greatly advance their work on measuring the contrails' effects on weather and climate.

It turns out that there are two probable related effects: The contrails decrease the difference in day/night temperature by 3 - 5 degrees F (depending on how many jets are flying over). The measurement evidence suggests that the jet contrails reflect enough sunlight back to space that they contribute to "global cooling". [The "climate change" debate is far more involved than most people know and releasing both CO2 and reflective ice into the upper atmosphere provides an incredibly complex situation, all by itself.]

Now, back to blueberries...

I just planted several blueberry bushes to complement my elderberry and raspberry patches. I have not seen a single honeybee this year. My elderberry has bloomed and the amount of fruit that has set is down by over 99%. This does NOT bode well for any other bee-pollinated crop.

I plan to go back into the beekeeping business (on a very small scale) and I would recommend that you do the same. It's inexpensive, doesn't require much work, and can be a rewarding hobby. There are lots of neat things about honeybees that few people know. It will also give your postman a rush when your bees arrive by mail. :-)
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (06-24-2014), ishoot308 (06-23-2014), Lakegeezer (06-23-2014), Misty Blue (06-29-2014), Newbiesaukee (06-23-2014), Pineedles (06-23-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 03:34 PM   #17
jrc

Is it an old wives tale that black flies help pollinate blueberries?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #18
hemlock

Default blueberry problem

Hi, as a highbush blueberry farmer I can tell you that what you are seeing is fairly common in unsprayed blueberries. Botyritis and anthracnose are two fungal diseases that can cause these symptoms. Pollinated fruit corollas can also turn brown but you will still get fruit. A good description of these can be found at the link to Cornells website included below.

As far as honeybees go they dislike blueberry blossoms because their tongues are too short to reach the nectaries easily. In my 3 acre plantation we try to force the issue by bringing in at least 12 strong hives or around 750000 bees. Also we never spray an insecticide when the bees are present. That would be pretty foolish after paying 900 dollars for them.

If I ever get over to my place at 60 cow I will look at them.

http://www.fruit.cornell.edu/berryto...ownflowers.htm
hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hemlock For This Useful Post:
JTA (06-25-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 06:29 PM   #19
Crusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Is it an old wives tale that black flies help pollinate blueberries?
Research has actually been done on this subject. From what I have been able to read, scientists have specifically studied pollination of lowbush blueberries (Vaccinium angustifolium) by Canadian Shield blackflies.

While the black flies weren't shy about consuming the nectar, they did not actually cause pollination.

As I was researching this, I came across the following article: Pollination of Wild Blueberries

It has pretty much everything you would ever want to know about blueberry pollination. [Did you know that 5% of blueberry plants are male-sterile? Or that about 45% produce little or no pollen?]
The Following User Says Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:
Dog's Ear (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 07:50 AM   #20
chipj29

There are a ton of wild blueberries that grow in the field behind my house. Just as soon as the plants start producing berries, they disappear. There are a lot of deer back there, and they strip the bushes down to nothing.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:05 AM   #21
gillygirl

Quote:
Then most people, including yourself, are wrong. Scary.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:25 AM   #22
Lakegeezer

My favorite and most reliable blueberry bush has some green berries on it now, but for every clump of five flowers, there are generally only two berries. It looks like we'll have some fruit, but it will be a light year.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #23
Crusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
Jet fuel is similar to kerosene and consists of a blend of hydrocarbons. Jet rngines are a form of gas-turbine engines, designed to completely combust the fuel into CO2 and water. Because of fuel costs, this process is made to be as complete as possible. Without addressing the issue of undesirable CO2 emissions, the water vapor exhaust immediately freezes into minute ice crystals to form wispy clouds. Depending on the conditions, the crystals may remain for hours or quickly sublime. They are not part of any government conspiracy. [Government conspiracies are almost entirely devoted to stealing money and staying in office.]

I'm sorry if ordinary, well-understood science scares you. However, if you have ANY specific information to the contrary, PLEASE share it.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:15 AM   #24
SAMIAM

Quote:
Who really knows......I'd like to be wrong.... I kinda' like breathing clean air.....just bugs me when planes criss cross the sky and turn a clear day into a hazy one.
Actually, we still have the big bumble bees.....they don't seem to be affected whatever the problem is.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #25
tis

Quote:
Who really knows......I'd like to be wrong.... I kinda' like breathing clean air.....just bugs me when planes criss cross the sky and turn a clear day into a hazy one.
Actually, we still have the big bumble bees.....they don't seem to be affected whatever the problem is.
Don't worry, Sam, they will find out someday that something is going on.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #26
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Don't worry, Sam, they will find out someday that something is going on.
You're right,tis....they said the same thing about Watergate.....nothing to worry about...government is honest.
As long as the chemical spraying doesn't hurt the tripe,we'll be ok
Old 06-25-2014, 05:49 AM   #27
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
Jet fuel is similar to kerosene and consists of a blend of hydrocarbons. Jet rngines are a form of gas-turbine engines, designed to completely combust the fuel into CO2 and water. Because of fuel costs, this process is made to be as complete as possible. Without addressing the issue of undesirable CO2 emissions, the water vapor exhaust immediately freezes into minute ice crystals to form wispy clouds. Depending on the conditions, the crystals may remain for hours or quickly sublime. They are not part of any government conspiracy. [Government conspiracies are almost entirely devoted to stealing money and staying in office.]

I'm sorry if ordinary, well-understood science scares you. However, if you have ANY specific information to the contrary, PLEASE share it.
Can you please go back and read the bit that I quoted, and my response, and then apologize?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2014, 06:27 AM   #28
tis

Quote:
You're right,tis....they said the same thing about Watergate.....nothing to worry about...government is honest.
As long as the chemical spraying doesn't hurt the tripe,we'll be ok
Yes, our government would never lie to us… Oh no, now you make my mouth water!!!!
Old 06-25-2014, 06:57 AM   #29
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Yes, our government would never lie to us… Oh no, now you make my mouth water!!!!
Seriously tis....Who referenced the "government" as their source for information on physics, science or meteorology?

Why not just provide a link to a reputable source that backs such a ridiculous claim like:
"Most people know that jet exhaust is just water vapor and dissipates within 100' or so,from a plane at 30,000 feet.
Conspiracy theory or not.....water vapor does not turn a clear blue sky milky"

Why make statements you can never back with science then get defensive when you are given information that clearly shows your claim is BUNK?

Do you deny science? Do you deny physics? Why just make reckless claims without any care of whether you're right or not?

Personally, if I made such a claim I would either back it up or admit I was wrong when confronted with data and evidence that shows my error.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, I'm just confused as to why people ignore basic science and common sense.

It's easy, if you make a claim, back it up.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #30
KPW

Default Too cold for bees to be active.

That is my theory. I have no proof. This was a simple question about blueberries, turned into government conspiracies.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:24 AM   #31
Happy Gourmand

"water vapor does not turn a clear blue sky milky"

unless it freezes and forms ice crystals. Everybody knows that the air temperature above about 29,000 feet runs about -59 degrees F.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #32
tis

Quote:
Seriously tis....Who referenced the "government" as their source for information on physics, science or meteorology?

Why not just provide a link to a reputable source that backs such a ridiculous claim like:
"Most people know that jet exhaust is just water vapor and dissipates within 100' or so,from a plane at 30,000 feet.
Conspiracy theory or not.....water vapor does not turn a clear blue sky milky"

Why make statements you can never back with science then get defensive when you are given information that clearly shows your claim is BUNK?

Do you deny science? Do you deny physics? Why just make reckless claims without any care of whether you're right or not?

Personally, if I made such a claim I would either back it up or admit I was wrong when confronted with data and evidence that shows my error.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, I'm just confused as to why people ignore basic science and common sense.

It's easy, if you make a claim, back it up.
There are lots of things in life that are questionable. Not everything is black and white. You can believe whatever you want. I just know from LOOKING that what I see sometimes is not normal contrails nor normal jet flight patterns.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #33
mhtranger

This thread is to funny, went from blueberries to government conspires.
I work in Manchester for a MAJOR airline and I can tell you all we put on our airplanes are your heavy bags,jet fuel and peanuts. All of our fuel comes out of Chelsea Ma and I can assure you nothing is added to it. There is no secret panel we put pesticides or mind altering powder or liquid.
Are we the only planes in the air? NO but if someone was doing "special" tests don't you think they would use airlines that fly thousands of flights a day?
Just my .02
mhtranger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhtranger For This Useful Post:
ITD (06-28-2014), Merrymeeting (06-25-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #34
jrc

How do you know the government doesn't put the stuff in the fuel before you get it. Just kidding, I love conspiracy theories.

I used to think that some of them could be true, then Watergate happened. If the President couldn't get away with a simple burglary, how could any major conspiracy go undetected. Government people by and large are not that clever or loyal, someone would have ratted them out by now.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #35
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
How do you know the government doesn't put the stuff in the fuel before you get it. Just kidding, I love conspiracy theories.

I used to think that some of them could be true, then Watergate happened. If the President couldn't get away with a simple burglary, how could any major conspiracy go undetected. Government people by and large are not that clever or loyal, someone would have ratted them out by now.
Conspiracy people say Bush orchestrated 911...you know how we know that's not true?

It worked.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:19 PM   #36
Chaselady

Seems to be a lot of tinfoil hat wearers....
We had no blueberries last year, but this year we have a lot showing. Same thing happened several years ago. A friend ( who was a great blueberry picker and old farm girl ) told me that blueberries take a year off every 7 years or so.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:43 PM   #37
nhcatrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhtranger View Post
This thread is to funny, went from blueberries to government conspires.
I work in Manchester for a MAJOR airline and I can tell you all we put on our airplanes are your heavy bags,jet fuel and peanuts. All of our fuel comes out of Chelsea Ma and I can assure you nothing is added to it. There is no secret panel we put pesticides or mind altering powder or liquid.
Are we the only planes in the air? NO but if someone was doing "special" tests don't you think they would use airlines that fly thousands of flights a day?
Just my .02
What about the frozen surprises that get flushed every so often? Less so when there is someone stuck in that little room....
nhcatrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:44 PM   #38
christo1

Its obvious why the blueberry bushes are not producing its Global warming/Climate change duh!!!
christo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #39
mhtranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcatrider View Post
What about the frozen surprises that get flushed every so often? Less so when there is someone stuck in that little room....
That does happen but it is not the dirty water. It is when the fill valve is leaking. We report all leaks that could cause a problem. Mainly because nobody wants to be hit by a falling chunk of "blue ice" and it cost the airline a lot of money from repairing the door that probably broke off when the ice was forming and anything it hit when it landed.
mhtranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:33 PM   #40
Merrymeeting

Those fictitious moose are producing methane that is then routed into jet fuel producing a toxic, controlling, drug...all planned by the government. Look it up!
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:26 PM   #41
Crusty

Default Loss of bees, butterflies caused by pretty flowers from your local stores...

My attention was just drawn to the following article in the Portland Press Herald:

Maine stores urged to drop plant pesticide that kills bees

"A new report ... links the pesticides to colony collapse disorder..."

The full article, which includes considerable information on specific pesticides and how nursery stock is being pre-treated with bee (and butterfly) killing pesticides can be found here.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:45 AM   #42
Orion

Default spraying schedule?

Looks like they only spray the jet chem trails on humid days...none today. Or maybe they just take Saturdays off.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:23 AM   #43
SAMIAM

Quote:
Looks like they only spray the jet chem trails on humid days...none today. Or maybe they just take Saturdays off.
None yesterday either.What does that tell you?
Either there has been no commercial air traffic for two days or the folks who claim that it's just normal jet contrails are wrong.
Not to be disrespectful to the people who debunk the idea,but doesn't it seem like they should be there everyday that planes are flying?
Old 06-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #44
Orion

Default Huh?

You missed the point. When the air is really dry, it absorbs the excess humidity generated by the jet engines, hence no VAPOR trail.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orion For This Useful Post:
mhtranger (06-28-2014), RailroadJoe (06-28-2014)
Old 06-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #45
RailroadJoe

Just used my binoculars to spot two seperate ailien craft heading northeast to southwest. Heading to DC?
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #46
SAMIAM

Quote:

Don't appreciate being called a "dolt".Only expressing an opinion based on what I am seeing.Certainly we can have a difference of opinion without name calling.
I really don't know what's going on with the spraying or whatever it is and hope I'm wrong thinking that they are messing with the weather.....no,I don't think it's aliens or moose methane
But I do have to ask........if those milky streams are just normal jet contrails,why are there are some days when there are none? Yesterday was a clear blue sky all day without a single trail......maybe someone cancelled all domestic airline flights over NH......haven't seen any today either.....darn airlines,canceling flights on a saturday.
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (06-28-2014)
Old 06-28-2014, 10:54 AM   #47
Winnisquamguy

Is this thread about blueberry trouble this year or airplanes?
Old 06-28-2014, 11:00 AM   #48
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
Is this tread about blueberry trouble this year or airplanes?
You're right,Winnisquamguy....we totally hijacked the thread.....I'm guilty,too.. ..sorry
Old 06-28-2014, 11:02 AM   #49
Orion

Default I had already answered that

Quote:
But I do have to ask........if those milky streams are just normal jet contrails,why are there are some days when there are none? Yesterday was a clear blue sky all day without a single trail......maybe someone cancelled all domestic airline flights over NH......haven't seen any today either.....darn airlines,canceling flights on a saturday.
You must have missed my post 2 hrs and 2 posts prior.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #50
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Don't appreciate being called a "dolt".Only expressing an opinion based on what I am seeing.Certainly we can have a difference of opinion without name calling.
I really don't know what's going on with the spraying or whatever it is and hope I'm wrong thinking that they are messing with the weather.....no,I don't think it's aliens or moose methane
I'll end my participation on this ridiculous thread by saying the dolt comment wasn't meant towards you specific but towards anyone who volunteers to suspend critical thinking and accepts illogical theories as fact. If one chooses to dismiss science in place of supernatural or illogical concept then they have chosen to be a fool. If you can't understand why someone might get frustrated with constant bombardment of silliness, like chem trails, ghosts, psychics, crystals, UFO"s, etc., then I apologize. As someone who deals with common sense and logic to solve life threatening problems it gets frustrating to hear about conspiracy crap.
I apologize to you, SAMIAM, if I offended you, even though I posted that over a week ago.

Your question about why some days you see contrails is easily answered with a google search. It's been explained by others on this thread but you seem to be hellbent on ignoring it.
Sorry to any other forum members who were offended by my comments.
Peace
Old 06-28-2014, 03:01 PM   #51
ITD

Halliburton!!!!
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #52
SAMIAM

I don't believe everything I see on the internet and there are many sites that argue on both sides. I'm not offended by a reasonable argument....but throwing in ghosts and ufo's seems like taking silliness to a different level.Didn't mean to get anyones panties in a wad.....just throwing that idea out there and sorry,also if anyone is offended.
Didn't really mean to hijack the thread......innocent question about blueberries and it got off track.My bad
I promise to stay out of this thread so it can get back to the OP's question.
Happy summer everyone
PaugusBayFireFighter (06-28-2014)
Old 06-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #53
ITD

Quote:
None yesterday either.What does that tell you?
Either there has been no commercial air traffic for two days or the folks who claim that it's just normal jet contrails are wrong.
Not to be disrespectful to the people who debunk the idea,but doesn't it seem like they should be there everyday that planes are flying?
Sam, I generally don't like referencing Wiki, but they have a good write up on condensation trails here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrail

And here is another Wiki article on "chemtrails", this sentence addresses your concern above:

"The rate at which contrails dissipate is entirely dependent on weather conditions and altitude. If the atmosphere is near saturation, the contrail may exist for some time. Conversely, if the atmosphere is dry, the contrail will dissipate quickly.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemtra...spiracy_theory

Most of the theory behind this is covered in high school chemistry, now I realize that some may have not taken chemistry but it really is pretty basic. I hope these articles allay your concerns.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #54
gillygirl

Quote:
Whoops...hit the thanks button instead of the quote button...I'll admit I was a dolt on that one.

Speaking of being called names, who called people who don't believe in the chem trails sheep?
Old 06-29-2014, 07:34 AM   #55
SAMIAM

Quote:
Whoops...hit the thanks button instead of the quote button...I'll admit I was a dolt on that one.

Speaking of being called names, who called people who don't believe in the chem trails sheep?
Gilly....you're right.....busted me.Actually I'm chuckling right now about how silly we were getting and I promise to be good.
Back to the original post.I have blueberries on my point which we trimmed last year and they are coming in pretty good.Some of the flowers got damaged in the heavy rain but we should get some this year.
gillygirl (06-29-2014)
Old 06-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #56
Orion

Default rodentsq

A beaver that was in our cove on Cow Island had a preference for high-bush blueberry saplings and started clearing out our shorefront before I convinced him he wasn't welcome to do that.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:43 PM   #57
wifi

Default oh-oh

Quote:
A beaver that was in our cove on Cow Island had a preference for high-bush blueberry saplings and started clearing out our shorefront before I convinced him he wasn't welcome to do that.
Did you use a Jetski ?
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:54 PM   #58
Orion

Default yep

......a jet-ski with a chem trail.