Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2015, 03:56 PM   #1
jbolty

Default Sawyers 2015

Just went to Sawyers and had a cone. It's my go-to place when I want to have some of the old school flavors that no one makes anymore. Grapenut, frozen pudding, black raspberry, walnut fudge, orange pineapple and a few others.

Was as good as every, IMHO.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:34 PM   #2
Chickie

Default Pistachio Where Art Thou

Went to Sawyers a couple weeks ago. Had a craving for pistachio ice cream, which was a favorite in my childhood days. I was a bit disappointed as they didn't have it. However, there were plenty of other flavors to choose from and it came down to a toss-up between grapenut and maple walnut. Maple walnut won - delicious and filled with large pieces of nuts. It made me forget that I had wanted pistachio. Perhaps that flavor is passe?
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:16 PM   #3
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickie View Post
Went to Sawyers a couple weeks ago. Had a craving for pistachio ice cream, which was a favorite in my childhood days. I was a bit disappointed as they didn't have it. However, there were plenty of other flavors to choose from and it came down to a toss-up between grapenut and maple walnut. Maple walnut won - delicious and filled with large pieces of nuts. It made me forget that I had wanted pistachio. Perhaps that flavor is passe?
Jordan's has pistachio, wife says excellent. I think that Sawyer's ice cream is very good. However Jordan's is a clear step above, best black raspberry anywhere.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:40 PM   #4
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickie View Post
I am surprised thy did not have pistachio. I get it everywhere. Friendly's pistachio is very good ( you can get it at the supermarket) and so is the pistachio ice cream at Sandwich Creamery
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:38 AM   #5
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Brighams the Best if you can find it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Jordan's has pistachio, wife says excellent. I think that Sawyer's ice cream is very good. However Jordan's is a clear step above, best black raspberry anywhere.
Brighams,

Hands down the BEST Pistachio, Vanilla and Coffee. Hot Fudge sauce very good.

Oh don't forget the JIMMIES, especially on the Vanilla.

If you are from the Wollaston area of Quincy, Mass you must remember the BRIGHAMS across from the Wollaston Theater. Hand Packed Quarts and Hot Fudge on a Sunday night.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2015, 12:52 PM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Pulled Pork BBQ

had them at Sawyers a while ago. No where near as good as the Texas BBQ on 104. Last weekend I had pulled porked BBQ at Pop's for the same price. But Pop's gives you two sandwiches! As well as a huge portion of fries and cole slaw! Although not as good as the 104 BBQ, Pop's has more sauce than Sawyer's. Sawyer's been a family favorite for eons. Lost my vote.

Sandwich Creamery and Jordan's are family favorites for ice cream. For an economical treat, the Happy Cow!
Old 08-15-2015, 03:33 PM   #7
jbolty

Just got back from Jordan's and had the pistachio. Good and creamy with lots of nuts but the ice cream base was not very flavored. Not bad and only mention it since we're comparing.

Cone a day mission

Last edited by jbolty; 08-16-2015 at 08:22 PM.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:54 PM   #8
Chickie

Default Pistachio Ice Cream

Had my first taste of pistachio ice cream at the old Howard Johnson's when I was about 10 and didn't stray far from it after that (with sugar cone, of course.) I drifted away from it as I grew older and when I had it again later in life, it didn't seem to taste the same somehow. Thought I would give it another whirl at Sawyer's the other day but, alas, they didn't have it. I guess nothing tastes as good as it did when we were kids anyway.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:56 PM   #9
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
had them at Sawyers a while ago. No where near as good as the Texas BBQ on 104. Last weekend I had pulled porked BBQ at Pop's for the same price. But Pop's gives you two sandwiches! As well as a huge portion of fries and cole slaw! Although not as good as the 104 BBQ, Pop's has more sauce than Sawyer's. Sawyer's been a family favorite for eons. Lost my vote.

Sandwich Creamery and Jordan's are family favorites for ice cream. For an economical treat, the Happy Cow!
I think Texas BBQ on !04 is a little skimpy with the pork. I have eaten there twice.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:56 AM   #10
fatlazyless

Default .... Kellerhaus' Wednesday special!

Kellerhaus on Route 3-Weirs Beach, close to the big Cumby gas station has a $1.09 Wednesday Special just about every Wednesday throughout the year; an ice cream cone choice with about ten different home-made flavors and /or sprinkles ....... probably would cost you maybe $3.50 at Sawyers, and Kellerhaus has better quality ice cream than Sawyers ..... according to the 25 out of 30 local ice cream experts who were polled .... and polls never lie!
Old 08-17-2015, 05:40 AM   #11
wynndog

Default lobstah roll

Well we had lobster rolls at Tammerack and theirs were $18. They were good
but wasn't August cheaper for lobster years ago? I think it's like gasoline gougers anymore. OH weekend,or end of the summer; anything to up the $$
wynndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:54 AM   #12
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
Brighams,

Hands down the BEST Pistachio, Vanilla and Coffee. Hot Fudge sauce very good.

Oh don't forget the JIMMIES, especially on the Vanilla.

If you are from the Wollaston area of Quincy, Mass you must remember the BRIGHAMS across from the Wollaston Theater. Hand Packed Quarts and Hot Fudge on a Sunday night.
Lived in Wollaston 1937until 1953. Brighams hot fudge sundae was the best and i think it cost $.20. Set up chairs in Theater across the street for free passes to the movies. Popcorn was a i nickel or dime. Fished in Sailors home pond for goldfish and carp. Allway's went to the carnival and bonfire in Merrymount on the Fourth of July.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:53 PM   #13
wynndog

Default Carp

How much were the Carp Rolls ?
wynndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:50 PM   #14
fodalo

Default Sawyers Icecream

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Kellerhaus on Route 3-Weirs Beach, close to the big Cumby gas station has a $1.09 Wednesday Special just about every Wednesday throughout the year; an ice cream cone choice with about ten different home-made flavors and /or sprinkles ....... probably would cost you maybe $3.50 at Sawyers, and Kellerhaus has better quality ice cream than Sawyers ..... according to the 25 out of 30 local ice cream experts who were polled .... and polls never lie!
I agree Sawyers is not the place for icecream, went 3 weeks ago and the Mint chocolate chip had food coloring in it and never did before. The Mrs had Mocha chocolate chip and the taste had change, its a far cry from natural.
Then the prices on seafood, there window /season is short but when the quality heads south and the prices head north, customers head west with or without cider doughnuts!
fodalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:08 PM   #15
Taz

Default Lobster rolls

$17, $18 is outrageous for lobster rolls even with fries. Lobster isn't even that expensive now. In June wen to 99, had great lobster roll with fries and slaw, roll packed with big chunks and it was served not take out for $15 I believe. McDonals lobster rolls $7.99, I refuse to eat meals frm Sawyers prices are outrageous for mediocre food. I don't care if its a short season. There are many other restaurants with better food and better prices.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:55 PM   #16
Happy Gourmand

Default How times change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Gourmand View Post
Had a great lunch at Sawyer's a couple weeks ago. Everything was cooked perfectly. We didn't find the prices out of line with other places around the lake.
A very nice touch was the young folks they have roaming the dining room, offering to pick up your order and clean the table off when you're done. They didn't "hang" around fishing for a tip either.
We've never had a bad meal there, and, as usual, the place was packed. Even so, service was quick and efficient.
I stopped at Sawyer's twice this season. As always, the place was clean, the folks all friendly, and service was quick, in spite of there being quite a long line to order.
I was disappointed the first time and was hoping it was a fluke as Sawyer's has always been the go to place for great seafood on this side of the lake.
We stopped in last weekend with our son and 3 small grandkids. As always, still packed, still clean, and still friendly. My son and I got the clam and scallop dinner, my wife ordered the shrimp boat. We all agreed they were mediocre at best... at $25 each a d I think $15 for the shrimp boat. Value for the price just wasn't there, quality or quantity.
Including the kids, the slip was pocket change short of $100.
I wish we had gone to Pop's.

The copied quote was from 2013.

Last edited by Happy Gourmand; 08-24-2015 at 03:56 PM. Reason: addition
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:03 PM   #17
Bigstan

Default Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
$17, $18 is outrageous for lobster rolls even with fries. Lobster isn't even that expensive now. In June wen to 99, had great lobster roll with fries and slaw, roll packed with big chunks and it was served not take out for $15 I believe. McDonals lobster rolls $7.99, I refuse to eat meals frm Sawyers prices are outrageous for mediocre food. I don't care if its a short season. There are many other restaurants with better food and better prices.
Sawyers rolls don't come with fries. I see that they removed pricing from the food portion of their site (they are still there for ice cream), they were there earlier in the year.

That's why we now (unfortunately) drive by and head to the Lobster Connection. We do stop at Sawyers on the way back for a couple pints to bring home, their sherbet is still great.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:12 PM   #18
Charlie T

Default not like it used to be

I stopped going to Sawyers a couple of years ago. It is literally a 2 minute drive from my front door but the high prices and low quality cause me to drive right by. There are plenty of other choices for better food values in the area.
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:02 PM   #19
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
I am surprised thy did not have pistachio. I get it everywhere. Friendly's pistachio is very good ( you can get it at the supermarket) and so is the pistachio ice cream at Sandwich Creamery
Yes, Friendly's is very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
Brighams, Hands down the BEST Pistachio, Vanilla and Coffee. Hot Fudge sauce very good. Oh don't forget the JIMMIES, especially on the Vanilla. If you are from the Wollaston area of Quincy, Mass you must remember the BRIGHAMS across from the Wollaston Theater. Hand Packed Quarts and Hot Fudge on a Sunday night.
.....and yes Brigham's is very good too. So, you two might be interested to know that Friendly's and Brigham's will soon be merging. They plan to call it Frigham's.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:26 AM   #20
chipj29

Quote:
I pray that you are not comparing McDonald's "lobster" rolls with any real lobster rolls.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:30 AM   #21
Taz

Default lobster

You missed the point Chipj29, THEY ARE $7.99, NOT $18 and its real lobster
The Following User Says Thank You to Taz For This Useful Post:
wynndog (08-25-2015)
Old 08-25-2015, 10:28 AM   #22
Pineedles

I too have tried McD's lobster rolls. Real lobster, ayah. Comparable to any other place serving LBs for quantity, nope. A bargain meal, yup. It's better and healthier than a double quarter pounder.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:51 PM   #23
Bigstan

Quote:
Real frozen maybe, not really comparable......
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:28 PM   #24
bigdog

Check out Vista Foods grocery store Laconia...

In their deli dept. you can buy a lobster roll with chips on Fridays $9.99 +tax.
Other days $10.99 (no chips).

They also have a 'Lobster Roll Club' card. Buy 6 lobster rolls get the 7th FREE !

They're really good, and larger than McD's.

Enjoy !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:32 AM   #25
Taz

Default lobster

Bigstan, you missed the point again, THEY ARE $7.99! did not intend to compare, although I have not eaten a Sawyers lobster roll so not sure of the quality but at $18 no matter how good it is its not worth it in my opinion especially without the extras. Now if you want comparison, I have had 99's, D'Angelo's and Red Hill Dairy, all very good. D'Angelo's $10.99, 99 $15.99 including fries and slaw, not sure how much Red Hill Dairy's are this year but 2years ago were $12.99 including fries and slaw
Old 08-26-2015, 08:08 AM   #26
chipj29

Quote:
You missed my point, even for the price it is a terrible lobster roll.