Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2015, 07:27 AM   #1
nhboat61

Default Target shooting / range?

My son is coming up for the week of vacation. He asked that we go shooting. Being new to the area, is there a range that offers rentals?

We do this often when I'm back in CT.
nhboat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:29 AM   #2
That Guy

http://www.belmontfirearms.com/

You can rent weapons there. The ammo is really expensive though. I'd see if its at all possible to buy some and take it in.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to That Guy For This Useful Post:
DougNH (06-26-2015), nhboat61 (06-24-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 07:47 AM   #3
Rich

Yes, you can rent GUNS there.

Most gun ranges that have rentals require you to use ammo purchased from them instead of ammo that you bring in yourself.

Yes, it's not cheap, but for liability reasons they want to be sure that you don't blow up their guns using hand loads, etc.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:57 AM   #4
That Guy

Guns, firearms, sidearm, weapon; whatever. I always use weapon or sidearm. Gun is just a media buzzword to me. I got stopped the other day in the grocery store. Guy walked right up to me. "Why are you carrying a, GUN?!" My answer? Because I can't throw a rock at 150fps. I simply turn around and went on my business as this guy went off. It took a ~70 year old lady telling him he should move about 80 miles south if he felt that scared.

But yea, back on topic. I'd call to see about the ammo part. It makes sense that they wouldn't let you, but I'd call and see. It was something like $30 for 50 rounds of 9mm. I rented one sidearm, bought a box of ammo, and a lane for 1h. It was something like $95. This was about three years ago.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to That Guy For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (06-24-2015), DougNH (06-26-2015), KeepItSimple (06-24-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 08:03 AM   #5
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Guns, firearms, sidearm, weapon; whatever. I always use weapon or sidearm. Gun is just a media buzzword to me. I got stopped the other day in the grocery store. Guy walked right up to me. "Why are you carrying a, GUN?!" My answer? Because I can't throw a rock at 150fps. I simply turn around and went on my business as this guy went off. It took a ~70 year old lady telling him he should move about 80 miles south if he felt that scared.
Were you open carrying?
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2015, 08:04 AM   #6
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Next time someone asks you why you carry a gun....tell them it's because a cop is too heavy.
Seriously,though,no one should see your gun if you are carrying.It defeats the purpose.If someone meant harm they would take you out first.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (06-24-2015), Pineedles (06-25-2015), SAB1 (06-25-2015), VitaBene (06-24-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 08:17 AM   #7
Rich

$20 or $25 for a box of 9 mm would be a very high price, but $30 is double the normal price (fair price is about $15 per 50). But if you want to shoot, and have to rent, then just check your prices before you show up and are surprised.

I suppose they could build in the price to the firearm rental, and then make the ammo cheaper, but I'm sure all of this goes towards their liability costs, plus their profit.

I guess you like to open carry if someone saw your firearm.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:20 AM   #8
That Guy

Yes, I was OC. I had just finished several hours of yardwork. Went to the hardware store to grab something real quick. While I was there, went to the grocery store to grab something for dinner. I don't always OC, but I will if I just have to zoom to the store real quick. If I'm out for the day, yes I conceal. Also depends on where I'm going. Bank? Conceal. Movie theater? Conceal. Any place with high concentration with kids (ex girlfriend had a young kid and we'd often go to playgrounds)? Conceal. Quick run to the hardware store for a spark plug or auto store for some oil? Slap it on my belt and run in.

As far as the OC vs conceal in regards who targets who, its a wash. Yea I can be a target. Or, they see someone carrying and they back down.

Oh boy. I feel like I just opened a discussion that is going to lead on for ten pages.
DougNH (06-26-2015), Misha888 (06-24-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 08:22 AM   #9
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
$20 or $25 for a box of 9 mm would be a very high price, but $30 is double the normal price (fair price is about $15 per 50). But if you want to shoot, and have to rent, then just check your prices before you show up and are surprised.
Yea, it wasn't cheap at all. It was in the $90s for one lane, a Glock, and 50 rounds.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #10
Rich

Yes, it will never be cheap. This is about the going rate at local ranges to rent and shoot for an hour.

Expect to pay about $100 an hour or more, one way or another.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:00 AM   #11
fatlazyless

....and for about $50/month, or $10/class .... you can go to the www.thefitnessedgenh.com next to the Meredith roundabout, open 7-days/week; .....and you'll get a lot more out of it than ....going to a shooting range....and inhaling all that bad air loaded with fumes from burnt gunpowder and pulverized lead bullets.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #12
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
....and for about $50/month, or $10/class .... you can go to the www.thefitnessedgenh.com next to the Meredith roundabout, open 7-days/week; .....and you'll get a lot more out of it than ....going to a shooting range....and inhaling all that bad air loaded with fumes from burnt gunpowder and pulverized lead bullets.
Ummm... what the heck does a fitness gym have to do with someone asking about a shooting range? Talk about Off topic!

Note: (because you mentioned it) all ranges these days have very good air systems with filters. At a club I belong to, the air is tested and I'm told the air in our inside range is cleaner than the air out on any road in NH.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:26 AM   #13
Rich

nhboat61,

If you want to go to a larger, state of the art range, drive down to Manchester and visit the Manchester Firing Line on Brown Ave (next to the airport): http://www.gunsnh.com/

This is an impressive modern range with a large variety of firearms to rent (including some full auto firearms if you feel the need to shoot something that not many can afford to own).

It's about an hour drive straight down Rt 93 from the lake, but I think it would be worth it for a fun outing like this.

Then, on your way home, stop at their gun store "Shooters Outpost" on Rt 3 just minutes off Rt 93 http://www.gunsnh.com/shooters.php, then go north a few miles and Visit Riley's Gun shop. This make for a fun shooting day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
nhboat61 (06-24-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 10:54 AM   #14
nhboat61

Thanks...peeps.

Those prices are in no were near what I pay for an hour, 150 rounds of 380 and a sig in the most regulated, taxed and controlled state-of Connecticut.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:55 AM   #15
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhboat61 View Post
Thanks...peeps.

Those prices are in no were near what I pay for an hour, 150 rounds of 380 and a sig in the most regulated, taxed and controlled state-of Connecticut.
I can only imagine what prices were like down there after SH.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:58 AM   #16
dpg

I have a Mass LTC have for years. I'm not sure why you always need to walk around with a pistol but whatever?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:01 AM   #17
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
I have a Mass LTC have for years. I'm not sure why you always need to walk around with a pistol but whatever?
Rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
DougNH (06-26-2015), Grandpa Redneck (06-24-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 11:04 AM   #18
dpg

Quote:
Well I suppose but how many times (realistically) are you going to "need" a pistol out in public? In my 50+ years of living I've never "needed" one while out shopping, working, going to lunch, etc. Again to each his own I suppose.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:17 AM   #19
That Guy

Quote:
Well I suppose but how many times (realistically) are you going to "need" a pistol out in public? In my 50+ years of living I've never "needed" one while out shopping, working, going to lunch, etc. Again to each his own I suppose.
Never been in a car crash either, but yet I wear my seatbelt the moment I get in it.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to That Guy For This Useful Post:
DougNH (06-26-2015), HomeWood (06-25-2015), Leoskeys (06-25-2015), Pineedles (06-25-2015), Tallyho (07-03-2015), VitaBene (06-24-2015), wynndog (06-25-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 11:42 AM   #20
kawishiwi

Default Something else going on....

Quote:
Never been in a car crash either, but yet I wear my seatbelt the moment I get in it.
1. I am totally comfortable with lawful carry.
2. Bro in law is retired 20 yr Chicago patrolman.
3. To me, perpetually carrying is, how should i put it, a little odd.

I get it, its your right. And legal. But you carry all the time?

My brother in law, by rule, was always carrying while he was on the force. At home, on the road, our family vacations together. I assume he most always has a sidearm arm with him after his retirement, at home, while driving, on family vacations, e.t.c. I dont feel safer or less safe because of it. I guess I "get" that.

I do wonder about perpetual carry for a civilian. Sure, something could happen, but equating sealtbelts to sidearms is a bit odd. Brother in law never used his gun in 20 years of patrolling the south side of Chicago. He was in 2 or 3 car accidents in a criuser.

I always wear a seatbelt in the car, but never a helmet, or a 5 point restraint.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kawishiwi For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (06-25-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 11:57 AM   #21
SAB1

Quote:
+1 there. Not sure I agree with the open carry though....
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:01 PM   #22
Rich

Some people don't see a need, but others do!

There is nothing strange about wanting to be able to protect yourself, no matter where, no matter when. These days there are more and more stories of all sorts of violent crimes:

Home invasions
Car jackings
Muggings
People hurting others just to do it for no reason or to record it on youtube for their amusement.

Do you have a fire extinguisher at home? how about a carbon monoxide detector?

Have you ever been in a fire? NO? Then why do you have a fire extinguisher or CO detector in your home? By some of the logic mentioned, only those that have already been in a fire should have these things, no?

Do you wear your seat belts? If you have never been in a bad car accident, why do you wear it?

It's all about being able to protect yourself.

Same thing about a firearm. It's our God given right to protect ourselves from those that want to do us harm. It's been this way since we were tadpoles.

Perhaps you don't think this area of NH has the sort of issues that may require someone to defend themselves?

What about the people in the news that have been killed in their own home? What about those that have been killed in a 'gun free zone' like schools or churches? These areas should be renamed 'self defense free zone'.

How about all the new crop of heroin addicts that are breaking in and stealing anything they can to fund their addiction? Some of these people are violent.

If you don't understand the need to protect yourself, I wish you best of luck if you ever need to. Or if you are lucky, perhaps someone nearby can help you.

As you know, you can always call 911, and the police will be there within 10 minutes or so if all goes well. If you are lucky, you will still be alive when the police show up, as the bad guy will most probably be long gone by then and the damage will have already been done.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
noreast (06-25-2015), That Guy (06-24-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 12:07 PM   #23
Rich

Sorry we're getting off topic of local shooting ranges. Please, if anyone else has suggestions for the OP, let's get back on topic.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:24 PM   #24
That Guy

The way I look at it, I have very few things in my life that are important to me.

First and foremost, my wife. I am 100% willing to put my life on the line to make sure she gets home safe. I will not let anyone interfere with that and I would hope every other husband out there would do the same. If there was ever a situation where my wife's life is in jeopardy, I would not hesitate for a moment to do what is necessary.

My life. Its the only one I've got. And I'll do whatever it takes for me to get home safely.

My property. That is the place where one should feel safe. Anyone that should ever breach that, I will defend it as long as there is a breath in my body.

With that said, am I looking for trouble? Not at all. I'm the nicest guy you'll ever meet. I help old ladies cross the road. I volunteer with the elderly. I love to teach children. If its 2am and your furnace stopped working, give me a call; I'm on my way.

I wish to die an old man without ever having to pull my weapon on someone. Do I open carry? Sometimes I do, yes. Don't like it? Write about it on Facebook. Chat with your coworkers. But don't approach me, holler at me that I'm wrong, and make a scene. I chose to have the necessary tools to defend myself if a situation should ever occur. If you feel bothered by someone legally carrying a sidearm, CC or OC, I suggest you travel about 90 miles from here; south.

-TG

to add, sorry for the off topic. That was my fault.
The Following User Says Thank You to That Guy For This Useful Post:
wynndog (06-25-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 12:43 PM   #25
bruinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
1. I am totally comfortable with lawful carry.
2. Bro in law is retired 20 yr Chicago patrolman.
3. To me, perpetually carrying is, how should i put it, a little odd.

I get it, its your right. And legal. But you carry all the time?

My brother in law, by rule, was always carrying while he was on the force. At home, on the road, our family vacations together. I assume he most always has a sidearm arm with him after his retirement, at home, while driving, on family vacations, e.t.c. I dont feel safer or less safe because of it. I guess I "get" that.

I do wonder about perpetual carry for a civilian. Sure, something could happen, but equating sealtbelts to sidearms is a bit odd. Brother in law never used his gun in 20 years of patrolling the south side of Chicago. He was in 2 or 3 car accidents in a criuser.

I always wear a seatbelt in the car, but never a helmet, or a 5 point restraint.
Nobody "plans" the exact time to need a firearm for protection. It WILL happen when you least expect it. Choosing not to be a victim is a state of mind and constant state of awareness.
bruinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:34 PM   #26
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

There are sand pits around that you can shoot in as well.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:58 PM   #27
VitaBene

There is a nice outdoor range in moultonborough. 50 bucks a year. http://winnisportsmensclub.org/

Nhboat, pm me- you buy some 22,.40 and 12 guage and ill meet you there as my guest. You can shoot all you want!
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
nhboat61 (06-26-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 05:57 AM   #28
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Some people don't see a need, but others do!

There is nothing strange about wanting to be able to protect yourself, no matter where, no matter when. These days there are more and more stories of all sorts of violent crimes:

Home invasions
Car jackings
Muggings
People hurting others just to do it for no reason or to record it on youtube for their amusement.

Do you have a fire extinguisher at home? how about a carbon monoxide detector?

Have you ever been in a fire? NO? Then why do you have a fire extinguisher or CO detector in your home? By some of the logic mentioned, only those that have already been in a fire should have these things, no?

Do you wear your seat belts? If you have never been in a bad car accident, why do you wear it?

It's all about being able to protect yourself.

Same thing about a firearm. It's our God given right to protect ourselves from those that want to do us harm. It's been this way since we were tadpoles.

Perhaps you don't think this area of NH has the sort of issues that may require someone to defend themselves?

What about the people in the news that have been killed in their own home? What about those that have been killed in a 'gun free zone' like schools or churches? These areas should be renamed 'self defense free zone'.

How about all the new crop of heroin addicts that are breaking in and stealing anything they can to fund their addiction? Some of these people are violent.

If you don't understand the need to protect yourself, I wish you best of luck if you ever need to. Or if you are lucky, perhaps someone nearby can help you.

As you know, you can always call 911, and the police will be there within 10 minutes or so if all goes well. If you are lucky, you will still be alive when the police show up, as the bad guy will most probably be long gone by then and the damage will have already been done.
And in todays society 9 out of 10 times if you shoot someone YOU'LL be in jail for it. If they live they'll find a reason to sue the crap out of you and if they don't, well that's a whole other story. Yup it is our right I get that and I also have a LTC but as someone else stated I guess I also find it a little odd that's all.
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 06:36 AM   #29
VitaBene

Quote:
And in todays society 9 out of 10 times if you shoot someone YOU'LL be in jail for it. If they live they'll find a reason to sue the crap out of you and if they don't, well that's a whole other story. Yup it is our right I get that and I also have a LTC but as someone else stated I guess I also find it a little odd that's all.
This is a case where that old adage is true... I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
Old 06-25-2015, 06:56 AM   #30
DRH

Default No Exceptions

Quote:
http://www.belmontfirearms.com/

You can rent weapons there. The ammo is really expensive though. I'd see if its at all possible to buy some and take it in.
If you rent a firearm at Belmont Firearms you must buy and use their ammo. If you take your own firearm, you can bring your own ammo.
nhboat61 (06-26-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 07:00 AM   #31
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
If you rent a firearm at Belmont Firearms you must buy and use their ammo. If you take your own firearm, you can bring your own ammo.
Same at Manchester Firing Line.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:21 AM   #32
Tired of Waiting

Default Your right but!!

Quote:
The two guys from Mass who were riding their bikes in Conway a few years ago didn't need one, that is until they went into the army barracks store!! Then they paid the price for not having one with their lives. Like you said each to their own.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:06 AM   #33
Pineedles

If you go to Belmont rent something cool like a MP7, best bang for your buck. And remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away. BTW, nhboat61, are you a member of CCDL?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:26 AM   #34
DRH

Quote:
But yea, back on topic. I'd call to see about the ammo part. It was something like $30 for 50 rounds of 9mm. I rented one sidearm, bought a box of ammo, and a lane for 1h. It was something like $95. This was about three years ago.
That Guy, please help me with your math.

The gun rental is at Belmont Firearms is $20 and the lane is $16 for an hour. One target costs $1.50 - $2.00, eye and ear protection cost $1.00 each. That comes to $40. That means you must have paid $55 for ammo if your total cost was $95.

Are you sure you didn't buy TWO boxes of ammo?
Old 06-25-2015, 01:05 PM   #35
nhboat61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
If you go to Belmont rent something cool like a MP7, best bang for your buck. And remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away. BTW, nhboat61, are you a member of CCDL?
Not a member, live in NH fulltime now.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:08 PM   #36
fatlazyless

Default ... Fryburg, Maine town pistol & rifle range

Believe the Town of Fryburg, Maine, which is just down the road from North Conway, has an outdoor, open all year, rifle and pistol range; free to use by anyone, and is usually totally empty.

It has shooting tables, about 42-inches high, nicely made with pressure treated lumber just like outdoor patio furniture, and just the right height so you can fiddle and diddle with the bullets, sights, scopes, shells, primers and everything else that goes with the Religion of Handgun & Rifle worship...... bless you ...and bang-bang!
Old 06-25-2015, 02:31 PM   #37
garysanfran

Default Pemigewasset Rod & Gun Club in Holderness...

$30 for a single membership/year. $40 for a family membership. Nice club!

http://www.pemi.org/
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:43 PM   #38
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
That Guy, please help me with your math.

The gun rental is at Belmont Firearms is $20 and the lane is $16 for an hour. One target costs $1.50 - $2.00, eye and ear protection cost $1.00 each. That comes to $40. That means you must have paid $55 for ammo if your total cost was $95.

Are you sure you didn't buy TWO boxes of ammo?
It was a glock, ammo, and one hour lane time. It was $90something. I swear it was one box of ammo, but maybe you're right and it was two. This was about four or five years ago so who knows.

I have more to comment on the subject, but I'll keep it to myself.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:12 PM   #39
Misty Blue

Default Get together?

Vita Bene:

'Just got the wife a Judge for walking the dog. We will have to go to the range and try it out.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:22 PM   #40
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
Vita Bene:

'Just got the wife a Judge for walking the dog. We will have to go to the range and try it out.

Misty Blue
Nice... but knowing your pup, she wont need it soon!

But anytime!!
Old 06-27-2015, 07:29 AM   #41
nhboat61

Thank you for the information everybody, sorry this topic got a little off-track.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:21 AM   #42
Rich

Quote:
Your choice: dead and buried or alive and take your chance in court.

Were you really saying you would give up without a fight to avoid legal fees?

Most that have a LTC know it's a tool of last resort to be used ONLY when you know your life is on the line. There will be no question if I need to defend myself with deadly force.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
DougNH (07-04-2015), trfour (06-27-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 06:45 PM   #43
nhboat61

Went to Belmont today. We had a good time. Place was awesome... Prices were better then ct except the gun rental, but the quality, cleanliness was far superior.

Ammo was 1/2 the prince we paid in ct.... So again thank you. Today was one of those priceless days a man can spend with his son.
The Following User Says Thank You to nhboat61 For This Useful Post:
That Guy (07-01-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 07:15 AM   #44
Rich

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

You should try to experience Manchester Firing Line also. It's impressive.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:06 AM   #45
rscalzo

Quote:
$30 for a single membership/year. $40 for a family membership. Nice club!
That doesn't address the rental they requested.

Quote:
And in todays society 9 out of 10 times if you shoot someone YOU'LL be in jail for it.
Total BS. Back it up with some facts and data. UIf the shoot is during the course of a drug deal, then you are correct. The problem is too many simply buy a firearm and a holster and think they are actually capable of protecting themselves and family without an issue. They don't bother to actually get some knowledge in the law of self defense. While there are seminars and some great books, too many rely on some unknown screen name on the internet.

Spend a few dollars and attend a seminar or read the book,.
http://lawofselfdefense.com/

Back to the original question. A hundred in fees is not going to be out of line. No one is going to travel that far and only buy 50 rounds of ammo . I watch many simply load up the magazine to full capacity and fire away not learning a thing. Three magazines later, they are out of ammo. So figuring in at least two boxes is a reasonable assumption.

Another option is the new range in Hudson.

http://www.granitestaterange.com/

They have rentals and the range fee is for the entire day. Both the manager and owner are great people.
rscalzo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rscalzo For This Useful Post:
DougNH (07-04-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 09:24 PM   #46
DougNH

I spend time here... one of the best schools in the US...

www.sigsaueracademy.com
DougNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:15 PM   #47
rscalzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougNH View Post
I spend time here... one of the best schools in the US...

www.sigsaueracademy.com

While not cheap, they will supply any of their products to use while at their course.
rscalzo is offline   Reply With Quote