Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
Audiofn

Default Streaming video to your vacation home

It kills me to have to pay for cable at my vacation home. I have been trying to figure out a legal way to get cable into my house and not have to pay for it. Only being in the house for a few days a month it just seems rediculous to pay 100 bucks for TV a month. I think I have what I am going to go with but thought that I would put it out there and see if anyone else has done anything similiar. I know that there was a thread on this before but I could not find it.

Option 1: I could set up my windows media players with a VPN from my house and stream video to my vacation home using a Windows Media Extender such as a X-box or similiar. The problem with this is it is a awful lot of bandwidth. My out internet speeds in MA may be fast enough but I do not think that my down speeds are fast enough in the vacation home.

Option 2: This is what seems to be the best. Sling box has been around for ever. They adjust the video based on your ability to stream (faster connection means better picture slower is lower quality). I was going to get a Slingbox HD hook it up to my home system. This will get my cable and even home server hooked and streaming out to the net. Then I can use and I-touch that I and most people have to stream the video to my vacation home. Drop the I-touch into a 40 dollar dock and I have all the video at my home available in my vacation house. Total cost is looking like it will be about 200 bucks (not counting the I-touch/phone that so many people already have).

Does anyone see any problem with this or has anyone come up with a better solution? I have internet at my vacation house because I need it for work. It pays for itself in my case in about 4 months. Plus then if I am ever on the road and want to watch video I can tap into it with my PC, touch, phone, droid......... Seems like a win win. I know the quality will not be as good but I am sure it will get better and better.
Audiofn is offline   Reply With Quote