Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
winnitru

Default What's burning?

Lots of smoke and visible flames across the Broads from Tuftonboro Neck.
Prayers for all involved.
winnitru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,938 Times in 1,914 Posts

Watching it from Welch island now... very close to the Belknap Point Motel office building... Can't be sure exactly where though... Huge fire however and was put under control in minutes but has to be a total loss...

Hope there are no injuries.

Not good!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
Fargo

Default Black smoke

The Union Leader picked this up immediately, new house burned. I could see the black smoke from the GI bridge. I think the house was insulated with foam, black, black smoke, bad news when it burns and extremely toxic.
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
Pepper

Default Link to UL Story

http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...4-ed5ee21dd663

GILFORD – A three-alarm fire tonight destroyed a newly constructed house near the Belknap Point Motel overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee, a neighbor said.
"The flames are as high as the trees and the trees are pretty high," said motel co-owner Elaine Blinn. "There's flames shooting out of every window."
The blaze was two houses away from the hotel on Belknap Point Road, she said.
The 16-room hotel was nearly booked and guests were "all standing on our porch watching" the blaze, she said.
Fire trucks were stationed between the hotel and the fire, which Blinn estimated was less than a half a football field away.

Firefighters responded and immediately called for a second alarm. A third alarm was toned out soon after. It was tough to listen to the dispatcher calling for so much apparatus and knowing this was a huge fire so close to a beloved Landmark. My thoughts are with the owners of the home. So sad.
RI Swamp Yankee (10-09-2010)
Old 10-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

That was a beautiful new house on the inland side of the road with waterfront across the street. I believe it was still under construction with interior finishing in process. It was a custom design on the hill side, clearly a lot of thought and $$ had gone into it. Sad
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
Damdonzi

Very spooky. Dumb luck as we were headed home this evening. The first home fire I have seen before the fire dept got there. Smoke turned black quickly once the hoses went on. Very sorry for the home owner.
Attached Images

Damdonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Damdonzi For This Useful Post:
GTO (10-11-2010), Jeanzb1 (10-10-2010), Rattlesnake Guy (10-10-2010)
Old 10-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
fatlazyless

That was a very large house under construction, in a location carved into a steep hillside, and perched high across a small road overlooking the lake and mountains. It was a mcmansion type of a house.

For a homeowner in this situation, when working with your insurance company to recover your losses from the fire, are you better off hiring a private insurance adjuster to represent yourself or dealing yourself direct with your insurance company? Any thoughts and suggestions?
Old 10-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #8
dan

The Insurance adjusters job is to protect the insurance company
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #9
WinnDixie

Default Wow!

Thanks for the pictures, Damdonzi. The Belknap Point Motel is where we spend part of the time when we are up there. VERY relieved to see that it's OK...but, I echo you...VERY sorry for the owner of the home burned. I walked by it this summer and could see it was going to be quite the place. The newspaper article in the Citizen said it is partially structurally sound still...but, just a devastation to the owner anyway! Sad, indeed.
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #10
Rattlesnake Guy

FLL,
I am surprised to hear you call a single, custom built home that looks like it was lovingly built into a heavily treed lot without devastating the character of the shore line by the pejorative term of "McMansion". I would think this would be the exact opposite. IMO.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Guy For This Useful Post:
Heaven (10-15-2010)
Old 10-11-2010, 07:23 AM   #11
Slickcraft

Default After photo

It looks like the lowest level can be salvaged but I don't know about the rest. As I said earlier it was shaping up to be a beautiful home.

I would guess that the first thing that the fire dept will check for is the presence of a propane space heater as work was still going on.
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2010, 08:41 AM   #12
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
The Insurance adjusters job is to protect the insurance company
Yes, that's very true, but a homeowner can also hire their own insurance adjuster to represent their interest so it would be one homeowner adjuster vs the other insurance company adjuster. Looking at a fire related insurance claim, it can probably be very complex with all sorts or building code rules that apply. As a homeowner, am I capable of representing myself or am I better off hiring an insurance adjuster?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #13
Argie's Wife

In the two cases we've had where we had to work with our insurance company's adjuster we found them to be very fair, thorough, and had a positive experience. We were allowed to dispute their findings and even request the claim to be re-opened once it was settled.

However, we documented everything, saved every receipt, letter, and form we we received, read the fine print, and asked a lot of questions. It's hard to keep track of everything you're being told when you're stressed out by a major issue with your home. I'd imagine the insurance adjusters have a very difficult job.

Yes, adjusters have to protect the insurance company but the insurance companies also want to keep their customers.

I feel bad for anyone who loses their home to a fire.... as dry as things have been lately, it's amazing that this didn't spread into the woods more. Kudos to the local fire departments for keeping this one contained!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #14
Coolbreeze

WOW! the firefighters made one hell of a stop! I tip my hat to them for the stop. The location of the home and type of fire load they had tells me that they had their hands full from the start. Great job!
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #15
ishoot308

Thanked 4,938 Times in 1,914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbreeze View Post
WOW! the firefighters made one hell of a stop! I tip my hat to them for the stop. The location of the home and type of fire load they had tells me that they had their hands full from the start. Great job!
I agree 100%! After seeing the size of the fire from my place on Welch then driving by it this morning on our way to work, I couldn't believe anything was left standing. They did a heck of a job getting it under control quickly and at least partially saving it.

Kudos to the G.F.D.!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #16
jrc

We took a ride there after the sixth or seven fire engine went by. We parked in front Belknap Point Motel and walked in.

From the rear we could see right in the third story windows during the fire. My bet is that they will have to knock the whole place down. The fire was well up into the roof framing and the metal roof is obviously heat damaged. The second floor is at grade level in the back and water was pouring out six inches deep. My guess is the only salvagable part is the foundation and maybe those stone supports in the front.

We went by the front of the house on Sunday by car and then by boat. Too bad it burned, as it looked very nice and pretty well set into the landscape, they left a ton of trees on the water side of Scenic Drive.

Does anyone know who the builder or the owner are? Lot's of people at the fire had opinions on the cause, I will not repeat them.

Thankfully no one was hurt.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #17
nj2nh

I know exactly where that is. We often take the scenic route from Alton to the Weirs and go past that location. I recognize the house on the other side of the road, the one with the stones on the bottom level. I even have a postcard of that house since it has the name that is the same as my last name.

I hate to hear these stories. Happens far to often during construction and renovation. There is a house near me here in Jersey that burned - twice - during renovation. How heartbreaking for the owners.

nj2nh
Old 10-11-2010, 04:11 PM   #18
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Back Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbreeze View Post
The boss, AKA "she who must be obeyed" is friends with the folks that own Belknap Point. Story is, one of the guests at BP was a fireman, he was out on the deck and spotted it as soon as it started. The hotel quickly contacted the Gilford FD and they were on scene very quickly.

From the pics, it looks like the home owner was actually very lucky he spotted it. If this was football... they held that fire to a field goal.

Cheers to all the firemen that protect us, on duty and off. It went to three alarms and fire companies responded from as far away as Holderness.

For all the complaining about proerty taxes I'm glad I don't have to worry about that clown that let that guys house burn down and kill his pets over a missed $75 fee. ( Yes I know, most of the firemen wanted to help, but were ordered to stand down.) This is just a statement not a rant.
ApS (10-15-2010)
Old 10-12-2010, 05:32 AM   #19
Slickcraft

Today's Citizen:

Quote:
Probe into 3-alarm blaze continuing
Gilford:
By HARRISON HAAS
Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Authorities are working to pinpoint the cause of a three-alarm fire that severely damaged a house overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee which was under construction.

Fire crews and equipment from nine area departments battled the blaze at the post-and-beam structure at 119 Belknap Point Road Saturday evening.

As of Monday the cause of the fire had not been determined.

Crews acted quickly and were able to put the fire out before it was able to spread. Captain Michael Balcom said Monday that the department handled the situation with only one engine.

The home which was valued at $1 million, according to officials.

Call Firefighter Marty Barrett arrived on scene and reported that the building was well-involved in fire, which activated the first alarm. A second alarm was requested after the Gilford's Engine 2 arrived on scene at 6:10 p.m., reporting heavy fire. The request for a third alarm came 20 minutes later as crews began drafting water from Lake Winnipesaukee nearly 800 feet away and there was need for addition water supply and manpower needs. Deputy Chief Stephen Carrier said the Gilford fire boat was activated to help supplement the water supply.

The fire was officially placed under control at 7:09 p.m., but some fire crews remained on the scene until just before 10 p.m.

"With the amount of fire showing upon my arrival, I'm impressed by how quickly we were able to control the fire," said Chief John Beland, who was impressed by the effort of the firefighters on scene.

In the pre-dawn hours Sunday firefighters had to return when some of the fire debris rekindled.

According to fire officials, the building was unoccupied at the time of the fire since the residence was currently under construction. Carrier said the three-story post and beam, open concept construction contributed to the rapid spread of the fire. The second and third floors sustained severe fire damage while the garage and basement area suffered water damage.

No injuries were reported to civilians or firefighters. The cause of the fire is being investigated by the Gilford Fire Rescue, Gilford Police Department, Lakes Region Mutual Aid and the NH State Fire Marshal's Office. The cause remains undetermined at this time.

Gilford Fire Rescue units were assisted at the scene by companies from Laconia, Meredith, Belmont, Tilton-Northfield, Alton, Center Harbor, Holderness, Franklin, and New Hampton, while engines from Sanbornton and Gilmanton and an ambulance from Belmont covered the Gilford Station.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:29 AM   #20
ApS

Thumbs down "MAKING a Property Expensive"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
FLL, I am surprised to hear you call a single, custom built home that looks like it was lovingly built into a heavily treed lot without devastating the character of the shore line by the pejorative term of "McMansion". I would think this would be the exact opposite. IMO.
1) You can't build a concrete foundation across the roots of existing trees. (The trees will eventually fail in some manner.)

2) It's "heavily-treed" today, but over time, trees are gradually trimmed and later cut down. Subsequent owners can have conflicting ideas of the value of their trees.

3) A property that ends up "treeless" is the inevitable consequence of concrete versus Mother Nature.

4) It's also a very tall structure, which helps to feed oxygen to a house-fire.

5) It lies 800' from the actual shoreline and is still valued at $1,000,000.

6) To add a multiplier to one's dollar-investment, I regretfully understand the logic of "making-a-property-expensive".

It could have been designed to be far less intrusive to avoid the pejorative of McMansion.

IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
My bet is that they will have to knock the whole place down...My guess is the only salvageable part is the foundation and maybe those stone supports in the front.
1) Structure height increases the intensity and damage of fire: Extreme heat in a fire damages even steel, stone, brick, mortar, stucco and concrete blocks.

2) I agree this could very well be "totaled". (Although a reconstruction near me was built on a foundation that was already sliding towards the lake—and was stuccoed into a "sorta-upright" position.)

3) Those stone supports in front fairly shout "McMansion" (and the conflict of Adirondack.)

I hope they consider not replacing them.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:36 AM   #21
fatlazyless

[/QUOTE]

The burnt out house sits, wrapped in yellow State Fire Marshall tape, up on a steep hillside, across a two lane paved residential road, and then down to a flat woods area and lake embankment (probably all belongs to burnt out house) all heavily treed with large trees. Distance from house to water is about 120' by guess-timation. A fresh pile of loamy sand was dumped at the foot of the steep driveway probably to keep looky-loos from driving on up.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:01 AM   #22
Just Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
The burnt out house sits, wrapped in yellow State Fire Marshall tape, up on a steep hillside, across a two lane paved residential road, and then down to a flat woods area and lake embankment (probably all belongs to burnt out house) all heavily treed with large trees. Distance from house to water is about 120' by guess-timation. A fresh pile of loamy sand was dumped at the foot of the steep driveway probably to keep looky-loos from driving on up.[/QUOTE]

FLL that flat woods area is the old RR bed.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:47 PM   #23
SIKSUKR

R-guy,don't you know that If it doesn't look like my house or my lot it is not acceptable?
Rattlesnake Guy (10-18-2010)