Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
wildwind

Default Looking for an upholster in Moultonboro area?

Can anyone recommend an upholster for chairs in the Moultonboro area? Thanks
Old 01-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Thumbs up State Prison, Concord & Berlin

We were looking to re-uploster a Wingback chair several moths ago and could not find anyone (2 people) that would quote the job with what we felt was realistic price.

State Prison, Concord & Berlin
We have had several things made by them, Book Case, End Table and 2 Chairs recaned and upolstered. The workmanship as good or better than any commercial company.

As for the Wingback chair, it cost close to half what we were quoted localy.

Check it out.

Ask for:
Concord, Victor 603-271-6587

Berlin, Tim 603-752-0376
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WINNOCTURN For This Useful Post:
Happy Gourmand (01-10-2013), RLW (01-07-2013), wildwind (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,376 Times in 952 Posts

Steve Rollins does it in Wolfeboro. He's not cheap but he is excellent. He did an antique chair for me.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
wildwind

Does he have a store or is it out of his house? Not that it matters, I just wondered how to find him
Old 01-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
donnamatrix

Default Upholsterer in area

Hi
I cannot remember this gal's name, but she is located on Ta Dump De Dump road off route 3 almost in Holderness (This is the road on the left heading north that leads to the dump/transfer station). Her house is at end on left. She redid all four of our dining chairs (I already had purchased the fabric, but she has fabric as well). She came recommended to me from Ippolito's furniture. She did excellent work, and was priced fairly.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,376 Times in 952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwind View Post
Does he have a store or is it out of his house? Not that it matters, I just wondered how to find him
He is out of his house. He had a shop for years, right next to Hoyt's Carpet on Bay Street in Wolfeboro, which is now a pet store. But that building went up for sale before the pet store came in and I don't know if that is why he moved to his house or what, but that is where he is. His phone number must be in the book. You can try 569-1714. I assume he still uses the same number but don't know.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
Loony Singer

Default Hillhurst Fix and Finish

You might look up Jim Currier at Hillhurst Fix and Finish: http://hillhurstfixandfinish.com/. Very nice guy.

He used to work out of his home, but has expanded and now has a shop across Rt. 25 from the Moultonboro airport (it's up the hill behind another building). He used to handle only the woodworking part, but now that he's got more space, he's added an upholsterer, too.

Last edited by Loony Singer; 01-07-2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: correct link
Loony Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
wildwind

Perfect! That's exactly what I was looking for Thank you so much! I'll let you know how it turns out...
Old 01-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
winnitru

I must second the recommendation for the upholstery shop at the Men's Correctional Facility in Concord. It is a vocational training program that produces professional quality work. I had a sofa reupholstered this summer for less than 40% of quotes I received from local upholsterers. I am quite particular, and would rate the quality of workmanship very high.
winnitru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #10
donnamatrix

Default Hillhurst is Excellent

I didn't know Jim Currier was now doing upholstery-that's totally awesome. He is an extremely talented fellow with any type of wood. Several years ago, the arm of one of our Harden cherry dining chairs was shattered when somebody put their full weight into the center of the rather slender arm when getting up from the table. I took the chair to Jim (when he was way out on the Neck) and he did a remarkable job in repairing the chair. You would never be able to tell that it looked like it had been smacked with a meat cleaver. He does great work. Thanks for sharing his updated business info.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #11
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
We were looking to re-uploster a Wingback chair several moths ago and could not find anyone (2 people) that would quote the job with what we felt was realistic price.

State Prison, Concord & Berlin
We have had several things made by them, Book Case, End Table and 2 Chairs recaned and upolstered. The workmanship as good or better than any commercial company.

As for the Wingback chair, it cost close to half what we were quoted localy.

Check it out.

Ask for:
Concord, Victor 603-271-6587

Berlin, Tim 603-752-0376
I have needed my leather recliner reupholstered for some time but have been putting it off. The chair is about 15 years old and fits like a glove except the seat seems to be giving out. I spoke with one upholstery shop and they ballparked 1800 to 2300 to redo it. Spoke with another and he quoted 800 for faux leather, but that is not an option.
So, I called the State Prison in Concord. Victor is out till Monday but I spoke with another gentleman who is sending the paperwork to get the process started. He quoted 265 for labor against 800 that I got from an upholstery shop in Nashua. He asked if I would supply the leather and said the "good stuff" if they supplied it would be about 8 bucks a square foot against 15 bucks a square foot locally. I found a leather shop in Wells Maine that sells full hides ranging from 4 a foot to 8 a foot. I see a road trip to Wells in my near future.
I don't know what the time frame is yet as I haven't spoken with Victor, but I'm anxious to have my recliner redone.
I paid around 1200 for it 15 years ago. To replace it with a comparable quality full leather recliner would be about 2000.
I had heard about this program a few years back but didn't know about the process to get it done. Thanks for this timely information.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
Redwing (01-11-2013)