Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-06-2015, 05:38 PM   #1
Island Girl

Default Wood stoves and where to buy

Back to the discussion on buying and installing a replacement wood stove on Rattlesnake Island. I have looked at the websites around the area but need recommendations and warning on these various places. I like some of the Jotul and Morso models. They are a bit pricey. Floor and wall clearance are the main issues as well as delivery to the island and up the stairs!

I would be interested in what people have installed in small areas. I know we have talked about this in the past, but am much more serious about this purchase this summer.

Thanks
IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

You might wish to check out hearth.com for stove recommendations and then find a dealer. From what I've seen, delivery to the island shouldn't be too difficult.

BTW, I have both plate steel and soapstone stoves and there's good and bad about both. The steel heats up very quickly, but creates a "hot spot" effect in the room--makes a good emergency/backup stove. The soapstone heats up a bit slower, but heat is much more level and evenly distributed. Cost for the latter was almost triple, though.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:59 PM   #3
Dad sold the C * C

Let's just say that last year I did not get the Jotul and I may have made a mistake.

We have a small cabin 700SF and needed a fireplace insert. Our choices were limited due to the small size we required. The Hampton we bought works well and does the job, I'm just not 100% happy with the workmanship of the stove it's self. If I was to do it over, I would take a better look at the Jotul and the shop in Meredith.
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:03 PM   #4
wifi

Fans are pretty cheap and work well for hot and cold spots
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

^ Don't want the noise or need for power--it is the perfect backup heating source, after all. Same reason I avoided pellet stoves and inserts.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2015, 09:48 PM   #6
mhtranger

I have been dealing with the folks at Energy savers in Meredith and have been happy. They have Jotul as the main brand there. Not sure about delivery to the island though.
mhtranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:22 PM   #7
bruinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhtranger View Post
I have been dealing with the folks at Energy savers in Meredith and have been happy. They have Jotul as the main brand there. Not sure about delivery to the island though.
Me too... we have the Jøtul F 3 CB and are very pleased with the product and installation from Energysavers.

http://energysaversnh.com/
bruinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:08 AM   #8
Merrymeeting

I have owned 3 Jotul stoves over the years, and I would get another one in an instant. They hold up very well, are of high quality materials, and they have many models and sizes to choose from.

I'd also recommend you check out Woodman's Forge. Our dealings with them have been very good. http://www.woodmansforgefireplace.com/
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:17 AM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Fireplace Insert

By Salvo Iron Works out of Falls River. Largest glass area in the business.
Unfortunately the company went on to bigger things and no longer sell stoves.

Since installing the Mitsubishi Split System, I rarely use the stove for heating, only for aesthetic.

I see these stoves on Craigslist or EBay.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:35 AM   #10
ishoot308

Thanked 4,938 Times in 1,914 Posts
Default Abundant Life

I would check out what Abundant Life has to offer in Chichester. http://www.abundantlifestoves.com/sh...FYsWHwodEKYAGA

They have a huge selection of top quality stoves, they are great people to deal with and they have no problem going to the islands as long as you supply the ride out.

We bought a propane stove for our place on Welch from them and it was a great experience. We have also bought stoves from them in the past for other homes we have had over the years and it has always been a pleasant experience.

Good luck!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 07-07-2015 at 09:12 AM.
ishoot308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:16 PM   #11
Bumble2249

Have you considered a pellet stove? If so Harmon is the best one out there. I bought mine at Fireside Living in Laconia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2015, 06:34 PM   #12
Island Girl

Default Wood is plentiful

We have plenty of wood on the island. Birch trees just fall down when we need them. Mix in a bit of ash and oak and we have nice fires. Pellets cost money and have to be transported. I am too old for that. A little chain saw and an electric splitter and we are good to go. Thanks for the suggestion.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:21 PM   #13
SAB1

Yotuls are great stoves like mentioned above. I have an old 602 that's heats my 800 sg ft and is great. Small stove that takes logs at 16 inch. I also have a yotul propane stove, model is the Lillehammer, that only gets used in early spring. I bought that at Woodmans Forge but after dealing with them for service I wouldn't buy a thing from them again.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:45 AM   #14
ApS

Exclamation Passing Along Coupla Birch Tips...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
We have plenty of wood on the island. Birch trees just fall down when we need them. Mix in a bit of ash and oak and we have nice fires. Pellets cost money and have to be transported. I am too old for that. A little chain saw and an electric splitter and we are good to go. Thanks for the suggestion.

IG
I just learned a tip from a friend who heats his primary NH dwelling with two (!) wood stoves.

Birch logs should have their birch bark coverings split lengthwise with a utility knife—open up the bark about ¼ of each log's width, and the birch will season appropriately.

(Birch bark itself makes an ideal fire-starter. To get a new fire started over the cold ashes of last night's fire, place the birch bark on a couple of pine cones and cover with tinder).

He demonstrated on a log I'd cut last summer, and sure enough, it was soaked with moisture inside! Is it any wonder so many birch logs have rotted on the ground—yet appeared intact?

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote