Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2015, 09:54 PM   #1
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts
Default Anyone Using Garmin Glo?

I have a Wifi only IPad and I want to use it as a chart plotter with the Bizer Winni map. So, I have been researching how to do it and a friend suggested I get a Garmin Glo. Apparently this will allow me to use the IPad as a chart plotter.

I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with it? It seems like a great solution.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Portabl.../dp/B00AYAZENY
Old 01-21-2015, 02:18 PM   #2
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

I don't know how well it works but I also found this gadget to add GPS to an iPad:

http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Elf-GPS-Li.../dp/B00G2BX616
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 05:58 PM   #3
Airedale1

Thanks Don, I will check that one out as well.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:57 PM   #4
Puffin

Default Not familiar with the Garmin but am with the Dual

I have the Dualxgps150A and use it with the IPAD and IPHONE for Navigation, it works great. Many chart options for the IPAD that are very reasonably priced. For me this makes more sense than spending $100's for a marine Nave system for the lake if you already have an IPAD.

http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electroni...=dual+xgps+150
Puffin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puffin For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (01-23-2015)
Old 01-31-2015, 04:29 PM   #5
lilysdad

I also use the Dual 150 with the ipad and the LakeWini app. Both work great, especially valuable when visibility is reduced, ie. night time.
lilysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2015, 11:15 PM   #6
RLW

Smile

lilysdad, I was just browsing through the forum and noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:39 AM   #7
Formula260SS

Default Navionics

If your familiar with the lake and are just looking for something to keep in check the Navionics App on my galaxy phone works very well. The screen is hard to see in the day but at night it is really slick. I've got most routes I run programmed in as "Tracks" and lite it up when visibility is not ideal at night. Each time I've used it it's been spot on in terms of accuracy and all the bouys are on it. I do have it on my tablet but haven't tried it as the phone works fine for me.
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:59 AM   #8
Kamper

http://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside...-app-ipad.html

I posted the same question on "The Hull Truth," and the Bad Elf line got more specific references than anything else. I really like the BlueTooth version that will interface with up to 5 devices so if your passengers keep asking "Are we there yet?" you can tell them to use their own devices to look it up.

On thing to consider though, is what are you using it for? If it's for driving in areas serviced by your cell provider it will be cheaper in the long run to pay the extra $10 a month since their maps are updated more often than some GPS tools. You especially need to be aware of this if the unit you are looking at does not have update capability or has been on the market so long that product support may be about to end.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:47 AM   #9
Rich

Don't most tablets have a built in GPS?

If so, why buy an external GPS, just use the internal GPS that is built into the Tablet / phone?

Or is this an area where Apple is lacking (I don't have an ipad so I'm not sure)?
Old 02-02-2015, 12:28 PM   #10
Kamper

Ipads only have GPS if you have WiFi access. If it is a cell phone model then it can be its on hot-spot and the mapping, and GPS apps will work, or so I have been told.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #11
Rich

Are you confusing having the ability to download map data vs having a GPS receiver?

The GPS will only provide your lat/long position. It shouldn't need WiFi or Cell access for that.

But if you try to display something like a google map, then you will need internet access of some sort (via WiFi or cell signal) to be able to download the map data itself.

However, if you purchase map data such as the Bizer or Navionics app, then you will have the map already on your system, and you won't need WiFi or a cell signal to use it. In this case the GPS provides your current position, direction of travel, speed, etc.

So unless I'm wrong, an external GPS device will only be an extra cost item that you may not need. Of course, I don't own an i-anything, so I could be wrong, but if they force you to have a WiFi or Cell signal to use the GPS, I just found another reason not to like an I-anything.

Last edited by Rich; 02-03-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:35 PM   #12
Airedale1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Are you confusing having the ability to download map data vs having a GPS receiver?

The GPS will only provide your lat/long position. It shouldn't need WiFi or Cell access for that.

But if you try to display something like a google map, then you will need internet access of some sort (via WiFi or cell signal) to be able to download the map data itself.

However, if you purchase map data such as the Bizer or Navionics app, then you will have the map already on your system, and you won't need WiFi or a cell signal to use it. In this case the GPS provides your current position, direction of travel, speed, etc.

So unless I'm wrong, an external GPS device will only be an extra cost item that you may not need. Of course, I don't own an i-anything, so I could be wrong, but if they force you to have a WiFi or Cell signal to use the GPS, I just found another reason not to like an I-anything.
A Wifi only IPad does NOT have internal GPS. So, if you have a Wifi only IPad like I do, you add the Garmin Glo which gives you GPS capability, no maps just GPS capability. Then you download the Bizer Winnipesaukee map and now you have a fully functional chart plotter.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:37 AM   #13
Rich

Thanks for clarifying this. I wasn't aware that Apple doesn't include a GPS in the WiFi only Ipads. It's too bad and someone limiting.

So my statements are meaningless to a WiFi only ipad.