Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-08-2006, 01:57 PM   #1
gwood

Smile Great Time on the Lake

Well, I'm up here on vacation and went out on our 18ft boat today. Had a great time. Left from Meredith, went to paugus bay, sally's gut, behind bear island and up to braun bay.

Looking for opinions, was today considered a choppy day or normal. We thought it was pretty choppy. Crossing from Weirs Beach to Sally's Gut we got wet hitting 2ft swells and getting sprayed. I don't think today would have been the day I take on the Broads.

Beautiful lake...can't wait to go out later today and/or tomorrow morning. Gonna try wakeboarding in the early morning hoping for calm waters.

Thanks.
gwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:06 PM   #2
Seadoo

looking @ the weirs cam i would say it looks a little windy, making it a little choppy. I guess in a 18 foot boat today would be a choppy day
Seadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:16 PM   #3
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwood
Looking for opinions, was today considered a choppy day or normal. We thought it was pretty choppy.
Yes the lake was pretty choppy today, especially this morning. We're located in the West Alton area (southeastern portion of the lake) and we had winds up to about 25 mph at times today with an average speed of 10 - 15 mph, so we saw lots of white caps out on the water. The wind has tapered off now from this morning's levels and most of the white caps are gone. Why not take another ride now that things are a bit quieter?!!
Old 08-08-2006, 02:22 PM   #4
jrc

First of all it's not fair to tell us how great a time you're having while we are at work.

If you were getting 2ft waves in front of the Weirs and they were not boat wakes, then it was a windy day. If the waves were coming from Meredith (North) then the broads were probably messy. Winds from any northerly direction tend to make white caps on the broads. Check the weather link on this site it give wind speed and direction. Also check the webcams like this one http://www.rattlesnakecam.com/

Looking now it does seem too bad, a little choppy but no white caps.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:44 PM   #5
gwood

Smile Great Time

Sorry for all of you at work this week.

Yes....the wind was coming from the north at about 20mph with gusts higher. I can say 20mph becasue on the way out of Meredith Bay when I was going 20mph we felt no wind at all.

Makes me feel a little better knowing this is not the normal everyday chop. Hopefully tomorrow is a bit calmer and we can cover more territory with more speed.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2006, 04:06 PM   #6
Newbiesaukee

We have a SeaRay 230 and it was a bit bumpy and windy, particularly on the Broads and even nearer the islands. It was beautiful though. Take care out there.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:57 AM   #7
gwood

Smile Great Time

Just wanted to thank all of you for your input. We had a great time last week. Explored more of the lake than I thought we would. After Tuesday the water calmed down and we were able to cruise around at a more reasonable speed.

Favorite spots are Sally's Gut, Hole in the wall, Weirs Channel, Smith Cove. Since we were staying in Meredith, the Meredith Bay was great for wakeboarding in the mornings.

For eating, the turkey dinner on the train was very good. Canoe was excellent. Guisseppi's was very good. Lakehouse Grill was so so.

Never made it down to Alton Bay or Wolfeboro or Peppers for lunch so we might make it up there again later in August to do some of those things.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:18 AM   #8
Dave R

Glad to hear you had a great time. Lake was indeed choppy at times last week. We went on a 75 mile cruise from Center Harbor to Alton Bay and back, the long way on Thursday. The ride back in the afternoon was rough. At night, the lake was much more calm and we took advantage of it nearly every night.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote