Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
NoBozo

Default Launch Ramp Fun

I like to go down to the launch ramp to watch the fun. Spring is the best time for this although any time will probably do.

A couple of weeks ago I was watching as a family came down, launched the boat without any mishaps and proceeded to load the boat with all the stuff needed for a day on the water. Some people need more stuff than others.

The engine took awhile to get started but it did finally start and everyone piled in. About five minutes after the engine started the bilge pump came on, on automatic and kept running. I figured they forgot to put the plug in and were oblivious to the pump running, so I got out of my truck and RAN down to the dock to stop them from casting off..which they were already starting to do.

They heeded my warning, but insisted they HAD put the plug in. To get to the point: This was their First trip of the season. Their "Marine Mechanic" had pulled all the hoses off the engine to drain it for the winter and never put them back. I suspect the "Mechanic" never even Finished winterizing the engine at all.

Lessson learned I hope. Always check EVERYTHING in the boat after anyone "Works" on your boat. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
NoRegrets (08-28-2009)
Old 08-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Arrow Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Their "Marine Mechanic" had pulled all the hoses off the engine to drain it for the winter and never put them back. I suspect the "Mechanic" never even Finished winterizing the engine at all.
Not surprised here. Last spring there was two incidents the mechanic did not complete the winterizing and left the hoses unattached. Both cases were done by known marinas in the area. I always open the hatch and observed the motor while it is running after the first start of the season.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Kracken

Its not so much fun being in line behind these people.

My wife and I were Downing’s Landing earlier this season waiting our turn to launch. There were a few boats waiting before us, giving us plenty of time to get everything ready before we got to the ramp. Once we completed everything, loaded the boat and checked everything I walked to the ramp just to take a peak. There was a couple launching their new Bayliner 22+ with their….Honda CRV. I was not in a rush so I just waited patiently for them to clear the ramp. They were having trouble getting the boat off the trailer so the guy backed the CRV in so far I could only see the top 2 inches of his rear rims. At this point I could no longer mind my own business. I asked the guy if he needed any help. He shrugged and said no. I said to him in a straight face: That is a beautiful boat. (Just kidding I have nothing against Bayliners.).

Anyways he said “ya…thanks”. Then I told him as nice as I could, It’s really not a good idea to back your truck that far into the water, completely submersing your hubs. He looked over at my rig particularly at my Ford truck, He cracked a smug grin and said “It’s not a problem, this is a Honda”

Sometimes its better to just mind your own business.
Kracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
Dave R

That could have ended ugly. Nice of you to help out.

I always open the engine hatch, do the routine checks (oil, drive lube, power steering, belt tension, leaks, loose fasteners etc.), then start my boat in the driveway and let it warm up a bit while I watch the engine and look for problems, before I head out to the ramp. This makes for painless ramp experiences.

When running a boat out of the water, I use these style "muffs":

They are Quicksilver part number 44357Q2 and are vastly superior to any other engine flushers I have used. Unlike the type that rely solely on friction to stay on, there's no danger of them falling off.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
Rattlesnake Guy

Couple years back the kids returned from the ramp convinced the boat was sinking and we needed to go back and put it on the trailer. I could see the boat had 10 inches of water in it but noticed it did not seem to be getting any worse so I convinced them we had time to figure out where the leak was. The bilge was running and the level was slowly receding. We noticed the engine compartment was soaked. I had them switch the motor on and the water pump hose had come free and was pumping a ton of water into the boat. The moral to this story is that your motor can pump water into your boat faster than the missing drain plug ever could.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links