Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
Showem

Default Overnight?

Are there any places on the lake where you can tie up for the night? Are you allowed to drop anchor anywhere on the lake ? Thanks in advance
Showem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Well.........

You cannot anchor overnight on the lake.

You can tie up a dock with permission of the owner.

Overnight stays on a boat is darned near impossible except in a marina or at someone's personal dock.

Days of anchoring on the lake over night are long gone, unfortunately.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:44 AM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showem View Post
Are there any places on the lake where you can tie up for the night? Are you allowed to drop anchor anywhere on the lake ? Thanks in advance
Unfortunately, no
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
Showem

Thanks. We do have friends over in Cow Island were we could tie up to their dock for the night.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:40 AM   #5
ApS

Exclamation Well...IMHO...,

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
You cannot anchor overnight on the lake.

You can tie up a dock with permission of the owner.

Overnight stays on a boat is darned near impossible except in a marina or at someone's personal dock.

Days of anchoring on the lake over night are long gone, unfortunately.
You wouldn't want to swim in the ocean waters that many coastal states have.

You can overnight in those ocean waters.

In many states on ocean waters, overnighters must provide a log of "pump-outs" to the Marine Patrol or U.S. Coast Guard—upon demand.

Let's keep the good quality of lake water we have, and not consider mandatory inspections by LEOs on Lake Winnipesaukee.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
upthesaukee

Default Not supporting overnight anchoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
You wouldn't want to swim in the ocean waters that many coastal states have.

You can overnight in those ocean waters.

In many states on ocean waters, overnighters must provide a log of "pump-outs" to the Marine Patrol or U.S. Coast Guard—upon demand.

Let's keep the good quality of lake water we have, and not consider mandatory inspections by LEOs on Lake Winnipesaukee.

My last sentence in the post you quoted only dealt with my feelings for the original poster not being able to fulfill his wishes, not that I support overnight anchoring on the lake. If you think we have problems with No Rafting Zones now or with boaters vs landowners, well.... I don't even have to finish the sentence.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
jrc

Highlighting your post in blue doesn't make it relevant.

For over forty years it's been illegal to discharge waste water in NH lakes. It's heavily enforced and well known to the boating community.

upthesaukee hit the nail on the head.

I've included the relevant clean water rules for NH, for our perpetually our uninformed poster.

http://des.nh.gov/organization/commi...ents/bb-38.pdf

487:2 Restrictions on Marine Toilets. – No marine toilet on any boat operated upon waters of the state shall be so constructed and operated as to discharge any sewage into said waters either directly or indirectly, nor shall any sewage or container of sewage be placed, left, discharged or caused to be placed, left or discharged in or near any waters of the state by any person at any time whether or not the owner, operator, guest or occupant of a boat; provided, however, that nothing in this section shall prohibit such discharge to a municipal sewerage system or to any adequate sewage disposal system on shore.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Overnight anchoring

I feel like there was a bit of a leap from a simple question about overnight anchoring to an assumption that there would be inappropriate discharges. Decades ago, when fewer boats had holding tanks, I would have agreed, as did the legislature. In those days, towns (Wolfeboro, Meredith, and the Weirs in particular) encouraged overnight stays at the municipal docks. Good for business, and the boats attracted tourists.

Now, I think everybody is aware of the need to protect our waters and the issue is more one of landowners and boatowners having an appreciation for the desire to use the lakes without harm. The relevant RSA is 270-A.
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...XXII-270-A.htm

Overnighting on your boat is a little like camping. Maybe a little cramped, hard to get dry on a rainy day, etc, but fun and a family adventure. If you have a friend with a dock, go for it. If you can tie off a bit so you don't bump against the dock, it will feel like you're at anchor.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
Showem

Our friends on Cow island are in a cove and you wouldn't need to tie up to a dock because its so calm in there. As far as overnighting were planning on using one of the moorings they have in Boston harbor on some of the islands. It's a first come basis so I thought we would try it. Be nice to see the city skyline at night!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
Kamper

Unless they have a registered mooring, you would need to tie up to a dock. You can argue the semantics about the reg.s only applying to 'houseboats' but that's for another thread.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #11
HellRaZoR004

I may have read somewhere that you need to notify the state in advance. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
Showem

Our friends over in Cow island have a dock and we could tie up there. As far as the moorings they have in Boston harbor its a first come basis. They do have docks you can tie up to at some of the islands and they have a fee for that but its pretty reasonable. The state doesnt run it which is a good thing, it's run by a seperate agency.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #13
ApS

Exclamation It's NOT the ocean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I feel like there was a bit of a leap from a simple question about overnight anchoring to an assumption that there would be inappropriate discharges. Decades ago, when fewer boats had holding tanks, I would have agreed, as did the legislature. In those days, towns (Wolfeboro, Meredith, and the Weirs in particular) encouraged overnight stays at the municipal docks. Good for business, and the boats attracted tourists.

Now, I think everybody is aware of the need to protect our waters and the issue is more one of landowners and boatowners having an appreciation for the desire to use the lakes without harm. The relevant RSA is 270-A.
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...XXII-270-A.htm

Overnighting on your boat is a little like camping. Maybe a little cramped, hard to get dry on a rainy day, etc, but fun and a family adventure. If you have a friend with a dock, go for it. If you can tie off a bit so you don't bump against the dock, it will feel like you're at anchor.
I've overnighted many times at anchor. Overnighting at anchor is not for me, as I always seem to pick a night that has a full moon, which shines into my eyes each time the boat turns on its mooring line. For me, anyway, it's like having a flashlight turned onto one's face.

But night-anchoring is a hazard to Winnipesaukee navigation, particularly with night-time boaters striking navigation markers and breaking them off—not to mention the many islands becoming impediments to travel—such as Eagle, Rattlesnake, Parker or Diamond—which have been seriously impacted in the dark. Maintaining "Safe Passage" means staying 150-feet from such granite objects, but the darkness changes everything.

You can relate RSAs all day long, but ultimately they are ignored or special interests will see them ripped away: NH has an RSA on disposing of plastic in the lake, yet we often see bottles or bait containers floating by.

NH had a boating RSA on excessive exhaust-pipe noise, but that's no longer the case.

While it's possible that Winnipesaukee's many lodging facilities would never feel the pinch from night-anchorers, it's also possible that some at anchor would take the dearth of enforcement during night hours to live aboard their boats all summer.

Getting up with the dawn gives me a special look at Lake Winnipesaukee. Most summer mornings, I'm greeted with a rosy sunrise—other times—well...night-anchorers have to start their waking hour in their usual manner.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #14
gtagrip

Quote:
I've overnighted many times at anchor. Overnighting at anchor is not for me, as I always seem to pick a night that has a full moon, which shines into my eyes each time the boat turns on its mooring line. For me, anyway, it's like having a flashlight turned onto one's face.

But night-anchoring is a hazard to Winnipesaukee navigation, particularly with night-time boaters striking navigation markers and breaking them off—not to mention the many islands becoming impediments to travel—such as Eagle, Rattlesnake, Parker or Diamond—which have been seriously impacted in the dark. Maintaining "Safe Passage" means staying 150-feet from such granite objects, but the darkness changes everything.

You can relate RSAs all day long, but ultimately they are ignored or special interests will see them ripped away: NH has an RSA on disposing of plastic in the lake, yet we often see bottles or bait containers floating by.

NH had a boating RSA on excessive exhaust-pipe noise, but that's no longer the case.

While it's possible that Winnipesaukee's many lodging facilities would never feel the pinch from night-anchorers, it's also possible that some at anchor would take the dearth of enforcement during night hours to live aboard their boats all summer.

Getting up with the dawn gives me a special look at Lake Winnipesaukee. Most summer mornings, I'm greeted with a rosy sunrise—other times—well...night-anchorers have to start their waking hour in their usual manner.

Oh boy!
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gtagrip For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (12-05-2013)
Old 12-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #15
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:

Well is a darn good thing that we got lots of loud boats out there blasting back and forth all night long keeping you illegal overnighters from getting a good nights sleep.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (12-09-2013), Webbsatwinni (01-19-2014)
Old 12-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #16
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Well is a darn good thing that we got lots of loud boats out there blasting back and forth all night long keeping you illegal overnighters from getting a good nights sleep.
LOL Maxum
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:30 AM   #17
ApS

Red face 'Could have said it better, I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I've only overnighted at anchor in the Biscayne National Monument, where its 270 square miles keeps things very quiet.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #18
CrownRay

Quote:
Our friends on Cow island are in a cove and you wouldn't need to tie up to a dock because its so calm in there. As far as overnighting were planning on using one of the moorings they have in Boston harbor on some of the islands. It's a first come basis so I thought we would try it. Be nice to see the city skyline at night!
Yup. I did this just last summer. We went to Peddock's Island on a Friday night. We just grabbed one of the many moorings that were available. As long as they have BHI (something like that) printed on them, they are free. A great time!
Old 12-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #19
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Before and after the season

I don't see overnight anchoring enforced.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #20
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:

What ever gave you the impression that there is no longer an excessive exhaust noise ordnance?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

The only thing that has changed in that regard is that switchable exhaust systems are now legal as they always should have been.... The Max limit is still in place.....

Last edited by LIforrelaxin; 12-09-2013 at 04:01 PM.
LIforrelaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LIforrelaxin For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (12-09-2013), trfour (01-20-2014)
Old 12-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #21
upthesaukee

Quote:

I can tell you that the Excessive noise law is being enforced, or at least trying to be.

In the 2012 boating season, a friend was stopped a total of, I believe, 8 times during the season, but a ticket never went to court due to some possible mistakes in how the test was administered.

In 2013, he was stopped once again and was issued a citation. He ended up having to pay a pretty hefty fine, and had to do a running test conducted out by Timber Island, where he had to do two pass by's, one at I believe 45, and another at WOT, approximately 75. He did have a MP officer in the boat, and no he didn't get a ticket for speeding as he was directed to do that speed.

Bottom line, the RSA is alive and well (not so well if you are the one ticketed and found guilty). What is not so obvious is how much it is being enforced, because we have had boat go by us that certainly seemed even louder than our friend's boat, at least to our ear.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #22
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I can tell you that the Excessive noise law is being enforced, or at least trying to be.

In the 2012 boating season, a friend was stopped a total of, I believe, 8 times during the season, but a ticket never went to court due to some possible mistakes in how the test was administered.

In 2013, he was stopped once again and was issued a citation. He ended up having to pay a pretty hefty fine, and had to do a running test conducted out by Timber Island, where he had to do two pass by's, one at I believe 45, and another at WOT, approximately 75. He did have a MP officer in the boat, and no he didn't get a ticket for speeding as he was directed to do that speed.

Bottom line, the RSA is alive and well (not so well if you are the one ticketed and found guilty). What is not so obvious is how much it is being enforced, because we have had boat go by us that certainly seemed even louder than our friend's boat, at least to our ear.
I think APS gets bored down in FL. and likes to stir the pot every now and then. and when he does, he is often proven wrong!
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gtagrip For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (12-10-2013), Resident 2B (01-19-2014)
Old 12-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #23
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I don't see overnight anchoring enforced.
If you're discreet you can get way with it (not saying you should try).

I blew the whistle once on boat in the channel just south of the Governor's Island bridge. It was in the middle of the channel and the way some folk blast-off after clearing the bridge, it looked like an accident waiting to happen. The responding MP was lenient and just chewed the skipper out and said 'don't let me find you moored again tonight.'

If they had gone down the shore a little bit and tucked in with the moored boats I doubt they'd have been noticed by even the most diligent MP.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #24
Not to Worry

Default Mooring

People really should not moor overnight in the lake. Didn't that rule get passed because so many were flushing the toilets overboard...or did I just make that up?
Not to Worry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #25
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default I guess you just made that statement up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not to Worry View Post
People really should not moor overnight in the lake. Didn't that rule get passed because so many were flushing the toilets overboard...or did I just make that up?
We at WCYC have been battling this law for years. We've been cited, charged, detained and even gone to court with a fines resulting. We've hired lawyers, proposed legislation to amend the law, nothing has worked for us. If you look at who proposed this law and why, you'd have a better understanding why it exist and more to the fact why it can't be changed.

It has nothing to do with pollution at all. I can't stay overnight on my mooring, but I can move 50' over to our docks and legally stay as long as I want. The State environmental police visit us every year to inspect our boats and issue us a permit, that's fixed to our boats windows.

The real question is: Who wrote this law and why can't it be amended or repealed? The answer is closer to you than you might think.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #26
HellRaZoR004

Default Simple

Homeowners - even though they don't own the water in front of their property they don't want to see you there. And they have money to influence their position....

I don't agree with the law. A good alternative would maybe be a dedicated spot, take Lake Tahoe for instance.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #27
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default I'll give you a hint.

It's called the "The House Boat Law"... It was crafted and designed for one single purpose. And it's done a pretty good job doing just that!
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:34 PM   #28
ApS

Question Last September?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
The only thing that has changed in that regard is that switchable exhaust systems are now legal as they always should have been.... The Max limit is still in place.....
Really?

Quote:
Whatever gave you the impression that there is no longer an excessive exhaust noise ordnance?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
My Lyin' Eyes?

http://bwolfeboro.runboard.com/t147019

(ETA—Changed link to our oldest forum in Wolfeboro)

Last edited by ApS; 01-20-2014 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Moved link to a Town-related forum...
Old 01-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #29
Webbsatwinni

[QUOTE=ApS;217938]Really?

Quote:
Whatever gave you the impression that there is no longer an excessive exhaust noise ordnance?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

My Lyin' Eyes?

http://tinyurl.com/lc8b6f3
I'm loathe to hot link,,,,,Hypocritical.
Attached Images

Last edited by Webbsatwinni; 01-19-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Webbsatwinni For This Useful Post:
Rusty (01-19-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #30
Webbsatwinni

[QUOTE=Webbsatwinni;217940]
Quote:
Really?

I'm loathe to hit link,,,,,Hypocritical.
And again Chipmunk, news hawk, aps, etc. great vid!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Webbsatwinni For This Useful Post:
Rusty (01-19-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #31
PaugusBayFireFighter

[QUOTE=Webbsatwinni;217941]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbsatwinni View Post

And again Chipmunk, news hawk, aps, etc. great vid!!
I didn't hear or see anything crazy in that video. When I read the video title I expected to see a bunch of boats terrorizing the lake but all I saw was a few boats opened up on a calm rainy day with the lake to themselves. I don't get it. I did like the low hum of the engines as it brought me back to the sounds of summer. The boats opening up into Paugus after leaving the canal are MUCH louder than that. I welcome those sounds as they are very infrequent and part of living water front on a big lake.
Boy would I love to hear some boats right about now!
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
Webbsatwinni (01-20-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 09:10 AM   #32
Webbsatwinni

[QUOTE=PaugusBayFireFighter;217973]
Quote:

I didn't hear or see anything crazy in that video. When I read the video title I expected to see a bunch of boats terrorizing the lake but all I saw was a few boats opened up on a calm rainy day with the lake to themselves. I don't get it. I did like the low hum of the engines as it brought me back to the sounds of summer. The boats opening up into Paugus after leaving the canal are MUCH louder than that. I welcome those sounds as they are very infrequent and part of living water front on a big lake.
I think you see the point, this video was posted on youtube by Wolfeboronian (Shhh we know who that really is ). The boats do not appear to be too close, and the sound isn't loud, but these people are called scofflaws by Wolfeboronian.

scoff·law
ˈskôfˌlô,ˈskäf-/
noun
informal
plural noun: scofflaws

a person who flouts the law, esp. by failing to comply with a law that is difficult to enforce effectively.

I didn't see laws being broken in the video.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:42 PM   #33
Misty Blue

Default Town docks.

I have always wondered why the various towns do not make overnight dock space available for a fee. Example:

You go to Canter Harbor and tie up for the night. You go to an "authorized agent" who accepts the fee and takes their share for the labor. They hand out a paper with the rules such as noise, hours that you can stay, etc.

The boater will pay the fee which could be used for dock maintenance, buy groceries in town and go the the local eating establishment and SPEND MONEY locally.

The local cops can keep an eye on the crowd and, if they want to have a couple of grogs in the evening they can do so without getting underway.

Just my $.02.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #34
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
I have always wondered why the various towns do not make overnight dock space available for a fee. Example:

You go to Canter Harbor and tie up for the night. You go to an "authorized agent" who accepts the fee and takes their share for the labor. They hand out a paper with the rules such as noise, hours that you can stay, etc.

The boater will pay the fee which could be used for dock maintenance, buy groceries in town and go the the local eating establishment and SPEND MONEY locally.

The local cops can keep an eye on the crowd and, if they want to have a couple of grogs in the evening they can do so without getting underway.

Just my $.02.

Misty Blue
MB, your 2 cents makes too much sense!!
Old 01-20-2014, 02:25 PM   #35
brk-lnt

Quote:

Just my $.02.

Misty Blue
My guess: water quality. The state is worried about people discharging stuff overnight or living aboard transient boats. Personally, I'm not a fan of overnighting via boat on the lake.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #36
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

I am not a fan of overnight boating either. People deposit too many things in the lake during the day, think what they would do overnight.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #37
garysanfran

Default Noise travels far and loud over the Lake...

Especially at night.

Nothing like a bunch of drunk partiers, with a big sound system to help change the serenity of the Lake and its character forever! Maybe those who want to ruin the quiet for others should explore Lake George?

And are the drunks going to want to bother emptying their holding tanks next day with a hangover? Should they be allowed to "anchor-out" all summer? Should puking over the rail be allowed?
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #38
BostonWhaler

It may not have been legal, but I've "camped" quite a few places on Winni...

Anchored off of Black Is. in Melvin Bay way behind the black spars, and camped on the island twice (in the fall, with permission from Winaukee).

Camped on Store Is. multiple times as a kid. Anchored slightly off the north side of the island.

Got stuck in a thunderstorm at 1AM en route from Toltec Pt. to Wolfeboro, and took shelter next to the church in Melvin. Slept under a cockpit cover in a 19' Mirage (fun times ).

Camped in the boat while anchored just off the Trubee property just outside The Basin's tunnel once. Chef'd up steak tips and corn on the cob off the back of the boat.

Rule is... Be reasonably quiet, pick up after yourself (and leave any space you use better than you found it, and if you're on land, NO CAMPFIRES! Common sense, really.
BostonWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #39
garysanfran

Default Obey only the laws you approve of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonWhaler View Post
It may not have been legal, but I've "camped" quite a few places on Winni...

Anchored off of Black Is. in Melvin Bay way behind the black spars, and camped on the island twice (in the fall, with permission from Winaukee).

Camped on Store Is. multiple times as a kid. Anchored slightly off the north side of the island.

Got stuck in a thunderstorm at 1AM en route from Toltec Pt. to Wolfeboro, and took shelter next to the church in Melvin. Slept under a cockpit cover in a 19' Mirage (fun times ).

Camped in the boat while anchored just off the Trubee property just outside The Basin's tunnel once. Chef'd up steak tips and corn on the cob off the back of the boat.

Rule is... Be reasonably quiet, pick up after yourself (and leave any space you use better than you found it, and if you're on land, NO CAMPFIRES! Common sense, really.
Love anarchy for all it's charm. I met a guy with a dog in SF that always allowed his dog to sh*t on the sidewalk even though there's a pooper-scooper law here. His reply? "The law doesn't apply to me". He ended up being on the wrong side of that opinion!
Old 01-20-2014, 08:53 PM   #40
sum-r breeze

Default I miss the rumble

[QUOTE=PaugusBayFireFighter;217973]
Quote:

We had a 28' Powerquest before the "Breeze" with a 502 Mag in it and Corsa muffled thru hull exhaust. I loved the sound of that big block chevy....but...I always thought the old law was a little stupid. I wanted to put "captain's call"(a feature that would send the exhaust noise through the prop and under water)
in the boat but was told it was illegal to have ANY type of switchable exhaust. We would come idling into the marina after 11:00pm and wake up the whole dock. I would have LOVED to come in quiet and un announced. We knew people who were out on the water over night and had their boat tucked into a cove to avoid detection from MP. We were never so daring.

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sum-r breeze For This Useful Post:
Webbsatwinni (01-20-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 01:46 AM   #41
BostonWhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Love anarchy for all it's charm. I met a guy with a dog in SF that always allowed his dog to sh*t on the sidewalk even though there's a pooper-scooper law here. His reply? "The law doesn't apply to me". He ended up being on the wrong side of that opinion!
Guessing that's a bit of unneeded sarcasm and you didn't take the time to read my post... Heck, my first post on this forum was about how to clean up a popular campsite in the lakes region. :/

Idea is... If you want to camp out on your boat, keep it LOW KEY. If you pick a spot where you won't bother others, clean up after yourself, keep it to a dull roar (I've been invited to island homes to keep the party going, but otherwise... Shhhh.).

In general, if you're RESPECTFUL, nobody will bother you. That said, things might be different on the south side of the lake.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:21 AM   #42
jrc

Anarchy? Ok, I guess overnight anchoring and dog poop are the hallmarks of the fall of western civilization Newsflash, people break laws, especially annoying laws with relatively minor fines. Ever been on a highway?

It's clearly illegal but I'm sure people take a chance.

At our old marina, one night a couple of boats didn't come back. They were very nervous and hush, hush about it but finally admitted they were stuck after dark in place they didn't know well and decided to stay out. They were afraid they were going to get a ticket even the next day.

One day we anchored late morning near Stonedam and a little boat was anchored at the dock. A skinny older man swam over to our boat and told us great stories about his life and how he spent the last few days moving from island to island. He was a retired teacher and still upset about birth control pills ruining the need for teachers.

Turn on a VHF during a fishing derby, all those fishing boats don't make it back every night.

I never tried it, dealing with the Marine Patrol at 2AM is just not worth the novelty.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #43
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
He was a retired teacher and still upset about birth control pills ruining the need for teachers.
Really?
Old 01-21-2014, 05:10 PM   #44
garysanfran

Default Little old man trespassing on Stonedam...

Quote:
Anarchy? Ok, I guess overnight anchoring and dog poop are the hallmarks of the fall of western civilization Newsflash, people break laws, especially annoying laws with relatively minor fines. Ever been on a highway?

It's clearly illegal but I'm sure people take a chance.

At our old marina, one night a couple of boats didn't come back. They were very nervous and hush, hush about it but finally admitted they were stuck after dark in place they didn't know well and decided to stay out. They were afraid they were going to get a ticket even the next day.

One day we anchored late morning near Stonedam and a little boat was anchored at the dock. A skinny older man swam over to our boat and told us great stories about his life and how he spent the last few days moving from island to island. He was a retired teacher and still upset about birth control pills ruining the need for teachers.

Turn on a VHF during a fishing derby, all those fishing boats don't make it back every night.

I never tried it, dealing with the Marine Patrol at 2AM is just not worth the novelty.

Inconsiderate people, I guess like you, ruined Stonedam Island for the Rice family. So you want to encourage more? There are all kinds of people in the world. One chooses how to conduct themselves with many decisions, every day. Some think of others...and some don't!

The Marine Patrol doesn't answer at 2 am. They're sleeping, not working.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #45
dave603

Default Misty

Quote:

Just my $.02.

Misty Blue
Towing my boat a lot I'm familiar with this:
That is what happens all along the coast, including inland river ways.
Lot's of marinas and even towns have a few open dock spaces that allow you to tie up to for a fee, even overnight most places. The ones I am familiar with are pretty tightly controlled for noise and dumping.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:19 PM   #46
jrc

Hey Garysanfran, I guess the happy face wasn't enough I'm absolutely sure I never caused any problems for the Rice family.

I'm not encouraging anything, just relating my experiences and ribbing you a little for calling, what amounts to illegal parking, anarchy.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #47
Dave R

Quote:
Especially at night.

Nothing like a bunch of drunk partiers, with a big sound system to help change the serenity of the Lake and its character forever! Maybe those who want to ruin the quiet for others should explore Lake George?

And are the drunks going to want to bother emptying their holding tanks next day with a hangover? Should they be allowed to "anchor-out" all summer? Should puking over the rail be allowed?

I have spent the night on the hook on Lake George. It was wonderfully peaceful and quiet even though there were quite a few boats in the cove anchorage I choose. I've done the same a few times on Sebago, and the CT River, also with no noise issues at all.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #48
ApS

Question Lake George Water—AS GOOD?

Yes, it's water quality. Any "camp" with a pipe in the water will tell you—especially islanders with a pipe for water.

Quote:
Hey Garysanfran, I guess the happy face wasn't enough I'm absolutely sure I never caused any problems for the Rice family.

I'm not encouraging anything, just relating my experiences and ribbing you a little for calling, what amounts to illegal parking, anarchy.
Some illegal parkers get their "comeuppance", but Winnipesaukee's overnighters seldom do.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:09 AM   #49
BostonWhaler

A lot of animosity in this thread.

Me and my friends had a lot of life-enriching moments camping about Winni when we were kids, and never pissed anyone off. I only make it back up a couple times a season now, but it's definitely a show of how things have changed.

Where would a kid go nowadays to do such a thing? Is it better that they now have DSL to the islands so they can play Call of Duty on Xbox all day?
Old 01-23-2014, 07:24 AM   #50
dickiej

On the coast, we call this "gunkholing".......finding a protected, quiet cove to throw the anchor over and spend the night. A lot easier on the ocean than a lake. I guess you have to look at this issue from both sides......if I owned a home on the lake, how would I feel about a boat or several boats anchoring right off my property? I guess it depends on how they behave......if they are loud, you know how sound travels on the water.......but if they're quiet, what harm, really? On the other hand, do you really want to open this door? Next thing, you've got hundreds of boats being trailered up to the lake for the weekend just adding to what many already consider an overcrowded situation......
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:16 AM   #51
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
On the coast, we call this "gunkholing".......finding a protected, quiet cove to throw the anchor over and spend the night. A lot easier on the ocean than a lake. I guess you have to look at this issue from both sides......if I owned a home on the lake, how would I feel about a boat or several boats anchoring right off my property? I guess it depends on how they behave......if they are loud, you know how sound travels on the water.......but if they're quiet, what harm, really? On the other hand, do you really want to open this door? Next thing, you've got hundreds of boats being trailered up to the lake for the weekend just adding to what many already consider an overcrowded situation......
But those weekenders have the same right to enjoy the lake as the home owners.
HellRaZoR004 (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #52
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts

The problem is some people are pigs and don't care!...not all... but those that are, ruin it for everyone and are the reason for some of the laws we have on the lake.

The people who litter and discharge their waste into the lakes and don't know when to keep the noise down, are the ones why the overnight law is in place. It's really that simple...

In my heart I believe over-nighting should be allowed on the lake...but the realist in me knows what the outcome would be...

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 01-23-2014 at 11:40 AM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #53
VitaBene

Default Inconsiderate?

Quote:
Inconsiderate people, I guess like you, ruined Stonedam Island for the Rice family. So you want to encourage more? There are all kinds of people in the world. One chooses how to conduct themselves with many decisions, every day. Some think of others...and some don't!

The Marine Patrol doesn't answer at 2 am. They're sleeping, not working.
I saw nothing in JRC's post that even came close to saying that they moored overnight, late morning; yes. How is that inconsiderate?
Old 01-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #54
Rusty

Quote:
This is what I read before getting my "New Hampshire Safe Boater Education Certificate":

Overnight Anchoring & Mooring Permits

Overnight Anchoring

It is against the law to anchor your boat overnight on any inland surface waters of the State of New Hampshire. Overnight is defined as “the period of time between the termination of daylight in the evening to the earliest dawn of the next morning.”

A houseboat is defined as a “ship, boat, raft, float, catamaran, or marine craft of any description which has sleeping and toilet facilities, regardless of whether such facilities are of a permanent or temporary nature.” Occupied or unoccupied houseboats may be beached or grounded, or tied to the shore of any of the inland surface waters of the state for an overnight period, or any part of an overnight period, only when on or at a location owned, leased, or permitted by the owner. Also, the owner, lessee, or person with permission of the owner must give written notice of this fact promptly to the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #55
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
This is what I read before getting my "New Hampshire Safe Boater Education Certificate":

Overnight Anchoring & Mooring Permits

Overnight Anchoring

It is against the law to anchor your boat overnight on any inland surface waters of the State of New Hampshire. Overnight is defined as “the period of time between the termination of daylight in the evening to the earliest dawn of the next morning.”

A houseboat is defined as a “ship, boat, raft, float, catamaran, or marine craft of any description which has sleeping and toilet facilities, regardless of whether such facilities are of a permanent or temporary nature.” Occupied or unoccupied houseboats may be beached or grounded, or tied to the shore of any of the inland surface waters of the state for an overnight period, or any part of an overnight period, only when on or at a location owned, leased, or permitted by the owner. Also, the owner, lessee, or person with permission of the owner must give written notice of this fact promptly to the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services.
Rusty, the definition seems out of whack to me. What about people out looking at fireworks, etc. Why do we need an anchor light switch?

I know it is not your definition, just thought it to be poorly worded.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:08 PM   #56
upthesaukee

Default Guess it's how you look at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Rusty, the definition seems out of whack to me. What about people out looking at fireworks, etc. Why do we need an anchor light switch?

I know it is not your definition, just thought it to be poorly worded.
My reading is that you can not be anchored on inland waters for all the overnight hours from the last rays of sun at sunset to the first rays at dawn in the morning inclusive.

If it is "dark" at 920 PM and doesn't start to get "508" AM, it would be illegal to anchor for all those hours between 920 and 508. The key is the word overnight. JMHO

You need the anchor light on when at anchor during the hours of darkness.(actually, I have had the MP tell me to please put on all my nav lights while watching fireworks, better visibility to other boats when they go to leave.) We will go out into the broads to watch the sunset, drifting with the breeze if there is any, and just have the anchor light on. Start the engine, turn the nav lights on.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #57
NoBozo

Default Just An Observation from a Flatlander

I think you people are Totally Missing the REAL reason for the No Anchoring Overnight rule....

If anchoring overnight were allowed..we might see a "Barge"..or "Houseboat" anchored off a very nice Estate...For the SUMMER. Paying No Property taxes whatsoever...unlike the property owners on shore who pay massive taxes for their spot. Just a thought. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #58
ApS

Arrow To Clarify a Point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I have spent the night on the hook on Lake George. It was wonderfully peaceful and quiet even though there were quite a few boats in the cove anchorage I choose. I've done the same a few times on Sebago, and the CT River, also with no noise issues at all.
⚫ Lake Winnipesaukee can be "wonderfully peaceful and quiet"; however, boats anchored overnight face the prospect of other boats wending their way amongst her 258 islands in the darkness.

⚫ In the dark, entire islands have been struck—off the top of my head—to include Rattlesnake Island (multiple times), Parker Island, Camp Island, Diamond Island, and Eagle Island.

(Although—technically—the collision with Camp Island can't be counted as "anchored-overnight")

Any anchored boat would place its occupants in far greater peril than any island-dweller from such misadventures.

⚫ Hopefully, everyone looked closely at the fire hydrant, the illegally parked BMW, fire hoses, and got a chuckle! (Schadenfreude—anyone?)

Follow the arrow...

Attached Images

Old 01-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #59
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Well I can think of one time where someone should have stayed tied up and slept on their boat. Another person would still be alive.....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:13 PM   #60
garysanfran

Default Encouraing tresspassing overnight campers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I saw nothing in JRC's post that even came close to saying that they moored overnight, late morning; yes. How is that inconsiderate?
Read the title to my post. Your answer is (and was) there.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:42 PM   #61
jrc

Just to be clear, I have never moored overnight, except at my slip. I never encouraged someone to moor overnight illegally.

BTW my teacher encounter was at the LRCT dock on Stonedam, a long way from the Rice's place.

I'm not sure how I got garysanfan so miffed, I guess my humor didn't come across well. You're not related to my new no rafting zone pen pal from the bay area are you?
Old 01-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #62
Rich

Why is it that people think that anchoring overnight on Winnipesaukee is more dangerous than anchoring overnight on any other of the thousands of busy lakes and salt water bays and coves around the country and the world?

I just don't buy it.

If a boat has the proper on board equipment to support an overnight stay (i.e.: anchor light, portable or built in head, etc.) and the occupants are not having an all night party to disturb others that are nearby, then there should be no reason why anchoring overnight on Winnipesaukee is any different than any other busy lake or body of water in the world.

If people are making too much noise, then go after them for disturbing the peace or other noise control laws, don't try to claim that this particular lake is unique in that it's too dangerous at night. There are plenty of other lakes that have many islands and are busy with boat traffic.

Yes I know, this has been discussed at length, but it still doesn't make it right.

Sorry, I get tired of too many laws and especially those that make little common sense.

By the way, not that he needs it, but I'll vouch for JRC. He's tucked into his berth every night at his slip.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #63
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Why is it that people think that anchoring overnight on Winnipesaukee is more dangerous than anchoring overnight on any other of the thousands of busy lakes and salt water bays and coves around the country and the world?

I just don't buy it.

If a boat has the proper on board equipment to support an overnight stay (i.e.: anchor light, portable or built in head, etc.) and the occupants are not having an all night party to disturb others that are nearby, then there should be no reason why anchoring overnight on Winnipesaukee is any different than any other busy lake or body of water in the world.

If people are making too much noise, then go after them for disturbing the peace or other noise control laws, don't try to claim that this particular lake is unique in that it's too dangerous at night. There are plenty of other lakes that have many islands and are busy with boat traffic.

Yes I know, this has been discussed at length, but it still doesn't make it right.

Sorry, I get tired of too many laws and especially those that make little common sense.

By the way, not that he needs it, but I'll vouch for JRC. He's tucked into his berth every night at his slip.
No reasonable person really thinks that way. The arguments clearly don't hold up when one can simply go to any other neighboring state and see that overnight anchoring is not a big issue at all.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (01-25-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #64
Descant

Default Time perspective

For those who want to know why overnighting was prohibited, think about the time. These laws were passed in 1967, effective January 1, 1968 as far as I can tell. I remember that summer when I was working at a marina and they installed their first pump out station. Prior to that time, few boats had holding tanks, and those that did, had no proper place to discharge. The prior practice had been "macerator/chlorinators" and overboard discharge. Prior to that, there was just direct discharge into the lake. "Good practice" was to not empty the head until you were well away from the dock, but not all followed that plan.

Anyway, the legislature was doing as much as they could to protect the state's water quality. Holding tanks and no overnighting were two steps taken. I doubt that safety or the preferences of shorefront landowners ever entered into the discussion. There was too much open shorefront, unoccupied coves, etc.

Is it TRUE? I recall hearing at the time that there were some legislators who wanted bilge pumps to feed into holding tanks. One of those crazy things that just sticks in your mind. You can't make this stuff up.

So, in those older times, people slept on boats, often tied up at the public docks, and often without a permanently installed head or sanitary facility. Years later, on the federal level, with no regard to water quality, the tax law changed to allow deductibility of mortgage interest on a boat as a residence, if it had sleeping and toilet facilities. Q. How many manufacturers started installing heads with that in mind? A. All.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #65
Rich

If this is the true original reason for this law, then it's high time to repeal it.

Or amend it to allow overnight anchoring if you have one of those 'this boat has been inspected' stickers from the boat potti-police.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:39 PM   #66
Descant

But now we have the new conditions of densely populated shorelines, even on most islands. I think it was MistyBlue who suggested that Town docks should be made available for an overnight fee. I see merit to that idea. Maybe there's a way or a place for towns or states to allow overnighting on moorings, again for some sort of fee.

I keep my boat at a club (condo) where there are some rentals by owners, but the lease is for a full season minimum. Too bad visitors couldn't rent one of these for a week or less. Not the same as anchoring in solitude, but at least you get to sleep on the boat and can walk to the bath house.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #67
pcmc

If an over night 'area' were ever initiated, imo a mandatory pumping of the holding tanks prior to the vessel leaving the docks would help with accidental 'mishaps'.
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:55 AM   #68
Rich

Quote:
But now we have the new conditions of densely populated shorelines, even on most islands.
I fail to see what this has to do with people dumping raw sewage into the lake.

I would think that those shoreline homes with all the kids swimming in the lake water during the summer, each weekend, has just as much if not a larger impact on the water quality than a number of boaters anchoring over night and using their self contained toilets and pumping out when they get back to their dock/trailer/pump out station.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:48 PM   #69
Greene's Basin Girl

I would think water quality would be impacted more by boaters that anchor on the lake for hours on end. Most of these boaters do not have any place to go to the bathroom, but in the lake. We grew up on the lake knowing that if we had to go the bathroom then it was time to get out of the lake and use the bathroom.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #70
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
I would think water quality would be impacted more by boaters that anchor on the lake for hours on end. Most of these boaters do not have any place to go to the bathroom, but in the lake. We grew up on the lake knowing that if we had to go the bathroom then it was time to get out of the lake and use the bathroom.
We can all hope this is true and it's very nice that you had good parents to teach you this.

The point is: Let's limit over night anchoring to those that have the proper on board toilets of some sort, not ban all over night anchoring of all boats.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
Grandpa Redneck (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 01:06 PM   #71
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
We can all hope this is true and it's very nice that you had good parents to teach you this.

The point is: Let's limit over night anchoring to those that have the proper on board toilets of some sort, not ban all over night anchoring of all boats.
I agree, but with a clarification. I would like to see some designated areas on the lake approved for overnight anchoring. I don't think overnights should be approved and allowed at public docks. For example, it's already hard enough to get to dock at Center Harbor on a Saturday or Sunday AM for breakfast, or whatever. If overnight docking were to be allowed, there would be no space available to pull in for breakfast or for whatever reason.
Overnight anchoring, yes, in restricted areas, overnight docking at public docks, no.
Just as you are not allowed to pull your motor home into a public parking lot and camp out, neither should you be allowed to overnight at a public dock.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:42 PM   #72
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Just as you are not allowed to pull your motor home into a public parking lot and camp out, neither should you be allowed to overnight at a public dock.
With the exception of Wal-Marts and Sam's Clubs. You can park overnight with an RV. Also Park and Rides in various states allow overnights. I have traveled the US staying at Park and Rides and truck stops.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #73
Rich

This would make sense to me too.

Public docks are different than overnight anchoring (with the proper on board toilets, etc.).

But again, this is a bit of a dead horse, unless we can get some state rep to take up a modification to the old RSAs now that we have DES inspection of boats with toilets and sinks, etc.

Here are the rules:
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/.../270-A-mrg.htm

More specificially:
Here's where is says you can't overnight:
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...-A/270-A-3.htm

Here's where they define a houseboat as basically a boat with sleeping and toilet facilities, either permanent or temporary:
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...-A/270-A-1.htm

So as stupid as this sounds, if you have a boat, and no toilet, temporary or otherwise, which could mean: no buckets, bottles, or other containers on board that could be used as a 'temporary toilet', could you get away with anchoring over night?

Here's another very old thread on this topic, if you read it, you may find one post that has a 'reason for not allowing overnight anchoring' which may, or may not be still a problem now that we have DES inspecting boats to be sure no grey or black water can be discharged overboard: http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=6404
Old 01-30-2014, 12:30 PM   #74
ApS

Smile

Quote:
For those who want to know why overnighting was prohibited, think about the time. These laws were passed in 1967, effective January 1, 1968 as far as I can tell. I remember that summer when I was working at a marina and they installed their first pump out station. Prior to that time, few boats had holding tanks, and those that did, had no proper place to discharge. The prior practice had been "macerator/chlorinators" and overboard discharge. Prior to that, there was just direct discharge into the lake. "Good practice" was to not empty the head until you were well away from the dock, but not all followed that plan.

Anyway, the legislature was doing as much as they could to protect the state's water quality. Holding tanks and no overnighting were two steps taken. I doubt that safety or the preferences of shorefront landowners ever entered into the discussion. There was too much open shorefront, unoccupied coves, etc.

Is it TRUE? I recall hearing at the time that there were some legislators who wanted bilge pumps to feed into holding tanks. One of those crazy things that just sticks in your mind. You can't make this stuff up.

So, in those older times, people slept on boats, often tied up at the public docks, and often without a permanently installed head or sanitary facility. Years later, on the federal level, with no regard to water quality, the tax law changed to allow deductibility of mortgage interest on a boat as a residence, if it had sleeping and toilet facilities. Q. How many manufacturers started installing heads with that in mind? A. All.
Descant has it right:

Quote:
For those who want to know why overnighting was prohibited, think about the time. These laws were passed in 1967, effective January 1, 1968 as far as I can tell.
That's the era that the Legislature decided the lake water was no longer potable. (We kept getting private laboratory requests for checking one's lake water supply).

We got by with town water from the spigot at Wolfeboro's Lakeview Cemetery. (And called it "Cemetery Water").