Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
sa meredith

Default Squam Lake Boat Tour...FANTASTIC!!!

Althought I had not planned on posting a review, I need to give a shout out to the Squam Lake Science Center Boat Tour of Squam.
Just so much better than I ever expected. We went on Monday (yesterday) at 11AM, just for something different to do.
While my intent is not to bore everyone with all the details, I want to hit a few key points that made it so entertaining for me...although if people want extra details or have questions, just ask...I'm happy to answer.
First of all...I am a huge fan of the movie. I've watched On Golden Pond no less than 7 or 8 times. If I come across it while channel surfing, I just can't look away. And a few weeks back, watched it from front to back, for the first time in a while.
Our guide (AL...great, great job) took the time to point all the parts on the lake were famous scenes were filmed.
The gas dock, where Norman speeds away, after his conversation with the two teenage boys.
The boat house, where Ethal goes looking for help when the boys are out past dark, and she thinks they are in trouble.
And, for me anyway, the most famous scene...where Billy crashes the boat, tossing Norman into the water, and Billy jumps in after him.
Al brought us by what was called "Pergatory Cove" in the movie, and pointed out the actual rocks that were used...the first one being the one the boat hit, and the second the one, the two held on to until help arrived.
Seeing them live and in person was pretty cool...if you are a fan of the movie.
Anyway...we also went by the eagles nest, where the same two eagles have now returned for the 8th straight year. Each year, they have produced 1 or 2 off spring, but this year, 3. And yep, we got to see all three. Although he said they may be gone soon. They are fledglings...able to fly, but still dependant on mom and dad to feed them. One was perched over the nest, the other two on very near by islands. We never got to see mom or dad eagle, which is too bad, as I have yet to see an eagle with the white hood having already grown in. But still...very very cool, to have the eagles eye us as we past by. Nope, no camera. Way to plan ahead, right?
Lastly, if you ever wanted to learn A LOT about loons, much of the tour (over 50 percent) is devoted to learning facts about them. We saw many, and he showd us some of the man made nest that are put out for then each year...which we were told, the loons quickly warm up to.
The most interesting fact, for me, was to learn that one of the biggest challeges for the young chicks to survive, after they are hatched, is the threat of being killed by...other loons. Yep...single, unattached, adult loons (called rogue loons) try to break up "happy couples" by attacking them, or, more commonly, killing their babies. These birds have major violent steaks in them.
Anyway...well worth the $22. Go over there and take the tour soon, and maybe catch a glimse the new eagles, before they move out.
Much more learned on the tour, but enough for now.
If anyone is curious about any other aspect of it, I'll be happy to answer.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
hancoveguy (07-27-2011), jkjoshuatree (08-02-2011), Just Sold (07-26-2011), Rattlesnake Gal (07-27-2011), SteveA (07-26-2011), Winnigirl (07-26-2011)
Old 07-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

If it still leaves from the Squam River channel across from Squam Boats, Walter' Basin is a great restaurant with a bar that allows a great view of the channel.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
SIKSUKR

I may have missed it in your post sa but how long does the tour last?
Old 07-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
sa meredith

Default 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I may have missed it in your post sa but how long does the tour last?
90 minutes was the posted time...and it lasted exactly that.
11AM 1PM 3PM daily, but some of the cruises focus on different things. Check the web site.
Forgot to mention earlier...they provide the binoculars...no need to bring your own. Great for viewing the eagles. And loons for that matter.
For big fans of the movie, this is a must do.
Seriously, after seeing the scene so many times, where Billy/Norman crash the boat, and then seeing the actual rocks in person...it really was pretty neat.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
Pineedles

Default Full steam ahead!

They should anchor a faux rock nearby that's made of plastic and head right for it to provide some excitement on the tour.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #6
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Explore squam

Squam Lake Science Center Lake Cruises
603-968-7194

2011 Schedule

July 1, 2011 through October 16, 2011

Daily

11:00 am
1:00 pm
3:00 pm

The Loon Cruise replaces Friday’s regular 3:00 pm cruise

Explore Squam tour from July 1 through August 19th

Cruise Pass Fees

Adult $20.00 member $22.00 non member
Senior $18.00 member $20.00 non member
Youth (Ages 3 - 15)$16.00 member $18.00 non member
Not recommended for children under age 3

Wildlife & Water Combo Pass Fees
One trail pass and one lake cruise pass
Adult $32.00
Senior $27.00
Youth $22.00

Each pass is a one time use and is valid date of purchase and following day only.

Reservations are recommended for all Science Center Lake Cruises.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
jkjoshuatree

Default Thanks SA

I'm always looking for something new and different to do in the area and I ABSOLUTELY love the movie!!

I'll have to check it out.

Side note: The scene where Norman lets Billy take the boat out by himself has to be filmed on Winni, right? I was up on Rattlesnake (the one in Holderness) the other day and I can't imagine a spot on Squam that is large enough for that scene.

Does anyone know the answer to this?

Thanks!!
Old 08-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I know part of the boat scene WAS on Wolfeboro Bay. And I think it was the part you are talking about. Guess I need to watch the movie again too!

We were invited to watch the filming of that movie but life got in the way and we never went. I have kicked myself ever since.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #9
sa meredith

Default correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree View Post
I'm always looking for something new and different to do in the area and I ABSOLUTELY love the movie!!

I'll have to check it out.

Side note: The scene where Norman lets Billy take the boat out by himself has to be filmed on Winni, right? I was up on Rattlesnake (the one in Holderness) the other day and I can't imagine a spot on Squam that is large enough for that scene.

Does anyone know the answer to this?

Thanks!!
Yes...our guide, who was a complete expert on all things "Squam", made it a point to mention that the one and only water scene not filmed on Squam, was when Billy went out alone, and sped around, as Norman watched from the dock. That was filmed on Winni.
As a side note, the tour does not pass very close to the cabin...it is sort of difficult to seen anyway, as the lot is heavily wooded. The house was pointed out, but even with the provided binoculors, all I saw was a clump of trees.
Upon reviewing the movie, I saw that the house really was not right on the water...there was a small path.
If you go, you'll note the gas dock really still looks about the same.
The error in the movie, however, is that Norman speeds off into Little Squam, while their house was actually the opposite way thru the channel.
Also interesting...we were told that He and Ethal came much closer to crashing into the boat house as he sped off, than was ever planned...which can be seen easily when viewing that scene.
It looked good though, and the director was fearful of a re-shoot, so it was left as is.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #10
jkjoshuatree

Default Thanks SA!!

I know they have free movies in Wolfeboro (this week was The Little Mermaid) so I was thinking they should do a screening of On Golden Pond.

Just my .02 cents!!
Old 08-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #11
Merrymeeting

I've only been able to watch it completely once.

It came out shortly after my brother and I had spent 2 years painstakingly restoring an old Chris Craft that looked a lot like the boat in the movie.

For me, the boat crash scene made it a horror movie!
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #12
RANGER CANOE CO

Default For those of you who loved the Movie

http://www.littlechurchtheater.com/ Come see the orginal Play........

Last edited by RANGER CANOE CO; 08-05-2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: sp
RANGER CANOE CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
KBoater

Default Winnie

I haven't seem the movies but I think the rock crash was in the loon area of the Varney Islands.
The boat running scene shows the boat house on
Little Mud Island.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #14
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
the one and only water scene not filmed on Squam, was when Billy went out alone, and sped around, as Norman watched from the dock. That was filmed on Winni.
Here are a few screen shots from that scene:

This thread from 2004 has some more interesting information.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (08-03-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 09:33 PM   #15
mphatc

I've heard the story about the crash on to the rocks in the Varney's as well, many many years ago.

there's also a story that that scene was done with an old sister ship to the Thayer and it needed to be rigged to destruct as the boat was to solid and bounced of the rocks. As I heard it, an I beam with a hydraulic ram was installed and planks were half cut to fracture . ..

Mario L.
mphatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:54 AM   #16
sa meredith

Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphatc View Post
I've heard the story about the crash on to the rocks in the Varney's as well, many many years ago.

there's also a story that that scene was done with an old sister ship to the Thayer and it needed to be rigged to destruct as the boat was to solid and bounced of the rocks. As I heard it, an I beam with a hydraulic ram was installed and planks were half cut to fracture . ..

Mario L.
Yes...on our tour, we were told things went exactly as you have described here.
In fact, the first time the scene was shot, the boat bounced off the rocks, sending the two stunt men into the water. It came away with nothing more than a few scatches.
They had no idea how solid the construction was, and how much the hull could take.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:25 AM   #17
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Squam Lake Natural Science Center...

have posted the schedule for the 2012 Loon Cruises.

The Boss and I are signed up for the Friday, June 22nd Cruise. (3 PM from Walters Basin boat dock)

This will be a first for us, but lots of folks have told me it's a fun trip.

Might be fun for a bunch of winni.com Loon Fans to all show up for the same cruise. ??

http://www.nhnature.org/Calendar/loon_cruise.html

You can also book a seat at the Loon Center website:

http://www.loon.org/events.php