Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
Flyfisha

Default Alton Bay Boat Accident

What's going on at the head of Alton Bay right now?
Two sets of blues and one set of reds.
Flyfisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
RLW

Smile

I heard on scanner that a boat accident happened, but did not hear the complete discussion. now I just heard something was going on a Parker Marine.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:37 AM   #3
SeaWassp

Default Updates?

Any Updates. The emergency teams were there a long time. I wish I had scanna! Next year.
SeaWassp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:48 AM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Yep;

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
I heard on scanner that a boat accident happened, but did not hear the complete discussion. now I just heard something was going on a Parker Marine.
I didn't hear the details either, on the first incident, only that there was one person with bumps and bruises injuries.

The call at Parker Marine was for a 62 (?) year old male with difficulty breathing.

Both transported to Huggins by the Alton Ambulances.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:36 AM   #5
KPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWassp View Post
Any Updates. The emergency teams were there a long time. I wish I had scanna! Next year.

If you have a smart phone you can get an app for a scanner.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
playinghooky

Default WMUR Article

NH Marine Patrol reports 2 boating accidents over the weekend
1 boat operator charged with boating while intoxicated

Updated: 2:09 PM August 31, 2014
Lakes Region, N.H.

New Hampshire Marine Patrol reported Sunday two boating crashes that occurred Saturday evening of Labor Day weekend, just two hours apart from one another.

Marine Patrol and Alton Fire Department responded to Lake Winnipesaukee at 9:24 Saturday evening where two boats collided near Fort Point. The boat operators 34 year-old Justin Rivet of Tyngsborough, Massachusetts and 51 year-old Michael Donahue of Moultonborough, New Hampshire.

One of the passengers aboard Donahue's boat sustained possible lower back injuries, and was treated on scene by members of Alton Fire Department. The passenger was later transported to Huggins Hospital.

The boats were functioning after the crash, and could be removed from the scene on their own power.

At this time, alcohol does not appear to be a factor in the crash.

At 11:36 PM, Marine Patrol and Laconia Police Department responded to a 911 call on a boating accident on Lake Winisquam. The boat operator, 51 year-old David Degregory of Tyngsborough, Massachusetts, was traveling at about 20 mph when he collided with a tree.

Two adult passengers aboard the boat sustained minor injuries, but did not seek medical treatment.

Degregory was arrested and charged with boating while intoxicated.

One additional boating incident was reported on Sunday at 4:50 AM by the United States Coast Guard.

Two boaters were overdue in the area of Seabrook and Hampton. Once a search started, the boaters drifted onto shore. Neither boater was injured, and their boat experienced mechanical problems.

Sgt. Crystal McLain of the New Hampshire State Police - Marine Patrol says that with the beautiful weather this Labor Day weekend bringing more people to the water, there will be alcohol violations.

Sgt. McLain assures that state police and Marine Patrol have patrols on the water statewide to respond to calls received and deal with drunken boating enforcement.

"All officers are trained in detection and enforcement of impaired boat operators," Sgt. McLain said.
playinghooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:52 PM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Up and RLW, what do you use for scanners and where did you get them? I had one but can't get some of the channels any more. Are there new ones now that allow you to get them all?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:20 PM   #8
dickiej

How does one collide with a tree while boating?
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dickiej For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-02-2014), VitaBene (09-01-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 03:22 PM   #9
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
How does one collide with a tree while boating?
I thought the exact same thing!!!! I guess it you are drunk, you don't stay on the water!?
Old 08-31-2014, 03:45 PM   #10
dave603

The only place I can think it can be done is the north end of the lake, but there It's all no wake zone.
Unless a tree got blown over into the water and floated out.
Was there some wind there then?
Nope WMUR shows he actually hit a tree!

Last edited by dave603; 08-31-2014 at 03:54 PM. Reason: added picture
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dave603 For This Useful Post:
Misha888 (09-06-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 05:13 PM   #11
upthesaukee

Tis, my scanner probably 20 yrs old. I just keep it on Lakes Region fire dispatch channel 1.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2014, 05:34 PM   #12
dave603

Default Tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Up and RLW, what do you use for scanners and where did you get them? I had one but can't get some of the channels any more. Are there new ones now that allow you to get them all?
you can get some of them on internet.

http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/ctid/1761

Not sure if the MPs are on it.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:04 PM   #13
tis

Ok so you don't get everything then, up. I still get a few things but can't get MP any more and can't get Wolfeboro. I can get Tuftonboro through the CC Sheriff-forget what it's called- and ambulance to hospital. I have never liked this scanner though. I would really like a new one. But is it true some channels are scrambled now so you can't get them with any scanner?

Thanks Dave.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:04 PM   #14
upthesaukee

Quote:
Ok so you don't get everything then, up. I still get a few things but can't get MP any more and can't get Wolfeboro. I can get Tuftonboro through the CC Sheriff-forget what it's called- and ambulance to hospital. I have never liked this scanner though. I would really like a new one. But is it true some channels are scrambled now so you can't get them with any scanner?

Thanks Dave.
My scanner is a Bearcat...I have been told in the past that the new type radios that the police and MP use, and other municipalities as well, transmit on one frequency and receive on another, with the frequencies paired for that particular channel, if I remember the explanation well. I think the State Police also operate in these different frequency band.

I do like having the dispatch channel so I can have an idea of what is going on, particularly in Alton and our surrounding towns.

Be well, Tis.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:01 AM   #15
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

see video here.... http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-marine-p...814716#!bNM54i

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:03 AM   #16
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
My scanner is a Bearcat...I have been told in the past that the new type radios that the police and MP use, and other municipalities as well, transmit on one frequency and receive on another, with the frequencies paired for that particular channel, if I remember the explanation well. I think the State Police also operate in these different frequency band.

I do like having the dispatch channel so I can have an idea of what is going on, particularly in Alton and our surrounding towns.

Be well, Tis.
Thank you, you too, up.

Mine is a Uniden. It is programmable and I thought because it was old that you couldn't program the new "scrambled" channels into it. It is miserable to figure out. I liked the simple one I had before!!
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (09-01-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 07:47 AM   #17
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave603 View Post
The only place I can think it can be done is the north end of the lake, but there It's all no wake zone.
Unless a tree got blown over into the water and floated out.
Was there some wind there then?
Nope WMUR shows he actually hit a tree!
That is ridiculous- these are the nitwits that we unknowingly share the lake with!! Drunk and at 20 MPH close to shore. Those pesky trees keep moving!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:53 AM   #18
Webbsatwinni

I'm glad to see speed and loud exhaust were not factors, we are all safer now.
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Webbsatwinni For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-02-2014), Dave R (09-02-2014), Misha888 (09-06-2014), Ryan (09-02-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 05:57 PM   #19
pjard

What the heck??? How hammered do you have to be to hit a tree?!?! That would be tough to do sober!
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pjard For This Useful Post:
PaugusBayFireFighter (09-01-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #20
Happy Gourmand

"I was following my GPS..that tree is not supposed to be there"
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #21
Farfrumbehavin

He must think that if snowmobiles can skim on the water than boats cab skim on land. Or he was trying to avoid a collision with a family of alligators that were out hunting! Who knows what his eyes were seeing! At least we won't have to deal with this idiot at the launch for a while!
Farfrumbehavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #22
dave603

I bet he blamed the tree for not having any NAV lights on.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:28 AM   #23
DRH

Default Going Digital

Quote:
Thank you, you too, up.

Mine is a Uniden. It is programmable and I thought because it was old that you couldn't program the new "scrambled" channels into it. It is miserable to figure out. I liked the simple one I had before!!
tis - Many law enforcement agencies have switched from analog to digital (P25) communications. Older scanners are analog and when they pick up a digital transmission it sounds like a loud "buzz". A digital scanner is needed to properly receive and decode the P25 transmissions.

The NH Marine Patrol uses 159.15 MHz as its primary communication frequency, and it uses digital P25 technology. They are also assigned the frequency 854.4875 MHz, which used to be an analog frequency, but I have not heard anything on that frequency in quite a while.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #24
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
tis - Many law enforcement agencies have switched from analog to digital (P25) communications. Older scanners are analog and when they pick up a digital transmission it sounds like a loud "buzz". A digital scanner is needed to properly receive and decode the P25 transmissions.

The NH Marine Patrol uses 159.15 MHz as its primary communication frequency, and it uses digital P25 technology. They are also assigned the frequency 854.4875 MHz, which used to be an analog frequency, but I have not heard anything on that frequency in quite a while.
Exactly. When they switched to digital, it was scrambled. Can you get all those now with the new scanners? Do you know where you can buy those scanners in this area?
Old 09-06-2014, 02:05 PM   #25
DRH

Quote:
Exactly. When they switched to digital, it was scrambled. Can you get all those now with the new scanners? Do you know where you can buy those scanners in this area?
Yes, the new digital P25 scanners will receive and decode all current digital transmissions.

However, they are not inexpensive. I have a Uniden BCD396XT handheld scanner that was purchased several years ago. Amazon.com currently sells it for $333.25 here: http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-Handhel...canner+digital

(Walmart sells that same unit for $419.00, but I believe you have to order it online.)

Radio Shack also sells a handheld digital scanner, the Pro-651, which goes for $399.99. You can see it here: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=42351856

There may be other digital scanner manufacturers, but the units made by Uniden and Radio Shack have gotten the best reviews over the past several years. They are both very sophisticated scanners that are loaded with features, but they are also fairly complicated to learn how to use! I've only learned how to use a few of the features in my Uniden model, but I can pick up all the scanner "chatter" in our area with it. The biggest challenge is programming all the frequencies into it that you want to receive, but once that chore is done the actual scanning and listening are fairly easy.

Many of our local police and fire departments, including Lakes Region Mutual Fire Aid, still use analog transmissions, but some departments have converted to digital. The Belknap County Sheriff Dept. transmissions I receive are digital, as are those from the Laconia Police. I think in time, most all law enforcement agencies and emergency responders will be converting to digital.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #26
tis

Thank you very much for that. I always wanted to get a new one but life got in the way and just never got around to it. My old one was a Uniden and I found it hard to program too. It must be the brand!!
Old 09-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #27
Tagdot

http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/ctid/1761

https://www.facebook.com/laconiascanner
Tagdot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tagdot For This Useful Post:
Orion (09-07-2014)
Old 09-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #28
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
I think in time, most all law enforcement agencies and emergency responders will be converting to digital.
The FCC (Federal Communications Commission) has mandated that pretty much all of these types of communications services are to covert to digital (and narrowband) over time. The VHF/UHF spectrum is very crowded and the conversion will eventually allow for more users in the same amount of spectrum space.
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote