Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2014, 07:10 AM   #1
cstultz

Default Newby Questions/Help

So... I've only had a boat for a couple years. I typically am left to the task of taking it and and out all on my own. I live near Hillsboro on Franklin pierce lake. It's a nice little lake. I've been to Sunapee, and Newfound. I just bought a new boat. It's a 19 1/2' Stingray, 190 hp.

I've been wanting to go out on the big lake. However, when i read the posts on here about hidden rocks, maps, don't get lost, etc.... I get nervous. I feel much safer going out alone, without the family first. I have 2 little kids, 6-9.

What do you suggest? Where is the easiest boat launch? What are the least busy days?
cstultz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cstultz For This Useful Post:
jetlag100 (08-02-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 08:21 AM   #2
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

By all means....explore the lake with your family. You'll have a wonderful time. Just use common sense, observe the markers and you should be fine.
You might start in Meredith or Center Harbor. Easy ramp access and available free parking is close. The north end of the lake is less busy and fun to explore. Hard to get lost if you use the mountains as a guide.
Good idea, also, to pick up a Bizer map.
Should be a wonderful adventure.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:21 AM   #3
Not to Worry

Default Rocks and stuff

You need a chart which you can order through this site. Chart will show boat ramps open to public.

If you are concerned about boat traffic I would avoid Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Mid week in September is perfection

With a chart I would not be afraid of getting lost or hidden rocks. Common sense works and if you feel you are "lost" headway speed or just stop until you regain your bearings.

If you venture down towards Greenes Basin then I would be more concerned about the proverbial hidden rock but still common sense will help even if you venture to that part of the lake.
Not to Worry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #4
RLW

Smile

cstultz, ] I was just browsing through the forum and noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

You will find all kinds of help with your question here on the forum. Enjoy and be safe.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
dickiej

Exploring winni is really a lot of fun and you will be amazed what you will find. Obviously, weekdays are best.......we come up on Mondays and we can always find seclusion.......you are right about rocks.......post someone on the bow, go SLOW, tilt your out drive and just be observant.......when you can sneak into a little cove on the lee side of an uninhabitated island, throw the anchor over, and swim and read in the sun, there is nothing more relaxing......there are places where you will be all alone, like I said, on a weekday. I live on the ocean, and there is little trouble you can get into at the lake compared to getting lost on the ocean. Use your compass to reference where you came from, so when it's time to go home, just add 180 degrees. Use reference points, like the big house on the point with the triple boat house. Have plenty of fuel, a cell phone or radio, and have fun!
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,376 Times in 952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
Exploring winni is really a lot of fun and you will be amazed what you will find. Obviously, weekdays are best.......we come up on Mondays and we can always find seclusion.......you are right about rocks.......post someone on the bow, go SLOW, tilt your out drive and just be observant.......when you can sneak into a little cove on the lee side of an uninhabitated island, throw the anchor over, and swim and read in the sun, there is nothing more relaxing......there are places where you will be all alone, like I said, on a weekday. I live on the ocean, and there is little trouble you can get into at the lake compared to getting lost on the ocean. Use your compass to reference where you came from, so when it's time to go home, just add 180 degrees. Use reference points, like the big house on the point with the triple boat house. Have plenty of fuel, a cell phone or radio, and have fun!
Except at night. You can easily get lost on a dark stormy night.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:04 PM   #7
jetlag100

Wink

Don't follow people...some don't know where they are and what they're doing..sorry to say..I can't tell you how many times I've seen people go on the wrong side of the buoys, and wave while they're doing it...You'll do great.there's room for everyone Presence of mind to ask, tells a lot..good for you and happy boating
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #8
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag100 View Post
Don't follow people...some don't know where they are and what they're doing..sorry to say..I can't tell you how many times I've seen people go on the wrong side of the buoys, and wave while they're doing it...You'll do great.there's room for everyone Presence of mind to ask, tells a lot..good for you and happy boating
Great advice! I was headed into Mboro Bay at FL12 when I was overtaken on my port side (a little close and he was right at or over 30, but I said, must be a better night boater than me). The boat then proceeded to take FL13 on the wrong side. Perhaps he has better knowledge of what is on the other side for that marker, but I go with Bizer!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
jetlag100 (08-02-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #9
jetlag100

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Great advice! I was headed into Mboro Bay at FL12 when I was overtaken on my port side (a little close and he was right at or over 30, but I said, must be a better night boater than me). The boat then proceeded to take FL13 on the wrong side. Perhaps he has better knowledge of what is on the other side for that marker, but I go with Bizer!
The only time I would even consider going on the other side of a marker, is if I lived there
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:08 PM   #10
Newbiesaukee

I live on the other side of the marker....and I still am very careful approaching home!

Seriously, I was a Lake newbie 11 years ago and with Bizer's help and a little caution I can avoid trouble. My wife, who has a terrible sense of direction on the roads, is an excellent navigator and another pair of eyes adds a layer of safety.

A good pair of binoculars helps. And, as others have said, just stop, if you are not sure where you are.

It is a tricky Lake...but well worth the effort.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:48 AM   #11
MikeF-NH

take the lake in exploration "chunks". Decide on an area you want to explore then check the Bizer map to make yourself aware of any hazards in the area before you hit the water. I really like my navionics chip on my Lowrance but I believe you can now get navionics on your smartphone. Its nice if you need to get your bearings on where you are.

The Alton Bay Fish and Game ramp is free but has limited parking and fills quickly but is easy to use. It is a long ride to the main part of the lake and you need to be aware of no wake zones down there. West Alton Marina is never very busy for me but is a little smaller if you are uncomfortable backing around...$25 launch fee. I never launch at any other west side ramps other than Shep Browns which is an easy launch facility - $20 launch fee. Check your bizer when leaving the area b/t Pine and Bear Islands...no wake and hazards in there. Center Harbor town docks are $20...park by tennis courts toward Center Harbor Inn. Lees Mills is free but thats a tough part of the lake to start learning in. 19 Mile Bay is free but is a LLLOONNGGG walk (about a mile) from the ramp to the parking area. Winter Harbor is free but backing the trailer on a busy road can be nerve racking. Wolfboro town docks ramp is free but very busy to back in and you have to park a bit away from there (not a bad walk). Roberts Cove Marina is $20 I think but a tight backing around area for the uninitiated.

I can't speak for any of the ramps in Gilford or Merideth because I don't use them. The area from Merideth to Weirs and out can be very busy and not very relaxing on a weekend and getting out of that area involves navigating around "The Witches" which (until you recognize where they are) can be a mistake you only get to make once.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #12
cstultz

Default thanks

The advice is awesome. I think I'm gonna try it sometime this week. Probably Wednesday. Hoping to go in at the Alton ramp. It's the closest to my house anyway. Let's see!!!!
cstultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
Bandrews7

Just buy a bizer chart and you will be fine. There is so much lake to explore. For a newby stay on the southern side of the lake. Northern side is far more complex when it comes to navigation.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:12 AM   #14
Rich

I'll tell you what I was told about my first time out on the lake.

1) Stay at least 200 ft from any island. If you need to get closer than this, keep a sharp eye out for rocks. Remember they may not be on the surface. I now have my own personal story about this!

2) Use the Bizer chart and check the areas where you will traveling. Look for hazards, markers, no wake zones, etc.

3) Be well aware of the larger hazards around the lake. Of paricular importance are places like "The Witches", that may appear to be a safe wide open area, but is very hazardous as it has rocks lurking just below the surface. Once you know where these major hazards are located, you will do fine, just be aware of #1 mentioned above.

4) As others have said, don't ever follow anyone else, always follow your chart and the markers.

5) Know how to read the various navigation markers, and if needed (if you are not comfortable reading the sky to know North, East, South or West), have a compass on board to know which way to pass any particular marker.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:06 AM   #15
jazzman

I moved up here from Pierce Lake... Quite a change from a lake with 2-3 rocks and no navigation markers to this

I'd suggest staying in the southern part of the lake to start. It's hard to get lost because you can almost always find Rattlesnake Island and the number of rocks and navigation markers is much lower than the upper parts of the lake.

From the south you can fairly easily expand up to the Weirs and Meredith.

I find it sure helps to have a navigator...
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #16
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandrews7 View Post
Just buy a bizer chart and you will be fine. There is so much lake to explore. For a newby stay on the southern side of the lake. Northern side is far more complex when it comes to navigation.
Respectfully disagree that the southend of the lake is the best choice.
Very true that the northern end is more complex, but a map and mountain landmarks make it pretty easy to find your way. But my main reason is that the waters are much calmer there. The wind generally blows north or northwest straight down the lake causing pretty large swells for a first timer in a 19' boat.
If they happen to pick a windy day or run into an afternoon storm it might prove to be a little unnerving.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #17
lfm

I suggest you don't limit yourself to one end of the lake. Learn the whole lake, each area has its own charms although you will probably develop your personal favorite spots.

What we did when we first started boating on Winnie was to pick a different destination for each trip. Lunch in a different town each time, try different sandbars, pick an island to scout out, or an interesting place to boat, 'Sally's Gut' or 'Hole in the wall' for instance. You and your family will quickly learn the lake and have a grand adventure doing it. Along with this forum, there is a booklet titled 'Lake Winnipesaukee's Best Kept Secrets' that can be helpful as a planning guide. It should be available for free at most marinas.

Just make sure, you have a chart, and compass. I would always use the chart to plan the route at home before heading to the lake. If you're not sure about a marker or if you're in an unfamiliar location or near an area with lots of hazards, take it slow. If you get lost, find a numbered marker and re-orient yourself that way.

Always, check the weather, and pay attention to the winds, know your limits and your boat's limits. Also, on busy weekends, the area around the Weirs in Meredith Bay can be challenging no matter what the weather in a smaller boat. Be prepared for large wakes converging from every direction.

Have fun and enjoy the lake!
lfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #18
SIKSUKR

My first time navigating Winni was certainly a little scary. My advice is get a Bizer map and study the area you will be exploring. When you're coming to marked hazard areas, slow down and look at your chart. The big thing I noticed is how much larger the area looks in real size compared to seeing it on the chart. Very easy to go past markers you think will be much closer to land than they really are. I think the most glaring example for me was the Witches. That area still seems really large and the markers are really spread out. Slow down and really look at your chart to see where the markers are supposed to be.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #19
znh

I would like to second the idea that going slow when referring to the 'paper' map is advisable at first as the actual geography goes by a lot quicker then you think it does when referring to the map.

If you have a iphone the Bizer app for it is great because it will show you exactly where you are and takes most of the guess work out of confirming your location.

Otherwise go slow and take one area of the lake on at a time. If you put in at Alton set-up a boundary for where you want to stay and learn that area, then the next time pick a new place and so on...

Good luck and enjoy, it's a wondrous place !
znh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #20
First Mate

Congrats on the new boat! Be prepared to be smitten with the Big Lake, there's nothing like it.

As others have said, get a chart, get a chart, get a chart. We rely on the Bizer chart (and Garmin GPS) and stow an extra chart in case the primary one blows overboard. Follow the suggested navigation routes that are marked on it and you will be fine!

Bring binoculars and use them. Agree that markers often seem further from shore, and also from each other, than you might expect by looking at the chart. Go slow, and stop and figure it out if you aren't sure.

Re-read the Boater's Guide. Don't expect hazards to be marked within 150' of shore.

Every part of the lake has its own flavor and charm and beauty. Enjoy!
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #21
HellRaZoR004

I'll reiterate what others have stated above - don't follow someone else thinking they know the 'correct' side of the marker to travel.

I made that mistake my first day on the lake. I had to change my pants after I went over a massive rock - got very lucky!
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #22
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Follow the Mount

If you launch in Alton Bay, (Meredith, etc.) you can check the Mount's schedule and match up a little. You don't have to follow closely, but you know two things. 1) She goes on the right side of the buoys and 2) she'll come back to the starting point in the afternoon. The Mount can literally be seen for miles and there's no mistaking one mount(ain) for another. Don't get too close, but depending on wind, etc., if you listen closely, they'll announce on the PA system where you are and what you're looking at. This confirms what you're looking at on the chart.

I agree with those who suggest that having a navigator, even if inexperienced, is a big plus. The conversations together about what you're looking at and how it compares to the chart are an easy way to learn, easier than doing it alone. Trade off the driving too, so you can just enjoy the ride without worrying all the time about both driving and navigating.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #23
drwamcross

Default Alton Bay

As many have mentioned, get a chart and plot where you want to go even before you launch, that way at least you have an idea of the general direction and hazards. If you do put in at Alton Bay, when you head north, keep to the right going up the bay. The Bizer chart actually shows the course followed by the Mount Washington, so if it can follow that course, you would certainly be safe. Once out of the bay, you could head to the right of Rattlesnake Island where it is fairly wide open and take a trip into Wolfeboro. If you followed that route, it is pretty open water (but still stop occasionally and look at the chart). It would be a good first look at Winni and from there you can venture to other areas as you become more confident with your skills at reading a chart. The lake has plenty of places to explore but unless you have used a chart before, it does take a little getting used to. Just because you see open water doesn't mean it is safe. Someone already mentioned the Witches (a little south/southeast of Govenor's Island); it looks like wide open water but is full of rocks; it is clearly marked on the chart but has been the site of many boating mishaps.

Winni is a great place with so many things to do, the ports to dock and grab a bite to eat, the sandbars to pull in for a swim, fishing, the quiet coves to enjoy the serenity (maybe not as much on weekends) and so many interesting sites.

Just take your time to get acquainted and......have FUN!
drwamcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #24
4Fun

Default get the bizer iphone map

Get the Bizer Iphone map. It instantly tells you where you are and what direction you are heading. You can then look a the paper chart and figure out where to go.

With the green lines on the Bizer map showing you what side of the marker to go on it's not that hard. You just have to make sure you know what marker you are looking at or looking for.

If you identify the marker and follow the green line ont the bizer map you wont hit anyting underwater.

In short order you will memorize many markers and know exactly where to go.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #25
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
If you identify the marker and follow the green line ont the bizer map you wont hit anyting underwater.
Or anyting above water.