Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-20-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
Lin

Default first boating accident of the year?

I just took a 2 hour cruise down rte 495 today (should have been 1/2 hour) Many car accidents. I was telling my husband about it, so he checked his pager with the East Coast paging system news and lo and behold what was on it besides the car accidents? A boat overturned in Moultonborough somewhere with three occupants in the water already. No other news on it though at this time.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
dmjr

I heard some traffic on my scanner about 2 people in the water. I was suprised to see boats in Center Harbor bay this afternoon.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:19 PM   #3
Mark

Question 1st Lake boating accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin
A boat overturned in Moultonborough somewhere with three occupants in the water already. No other news on it though at this time.
It's already started. Boating accidents. No doubt it was one of those big noisy go fast boats going too fast. Probably turned too sharp to avoid a kayak they didn't see soon enough. Meanwhile, the kayaker tried to call the Marine Patrol and 911 on the cell phone to report the reckless go fast operation but the cell signal was not good enough.

Could the lake be unsafe with only one boat and a kayak in the whole area?
Could the accident been avoided with better cell phone coverage?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Fortunately it seems like no serious injury but I bet it was a cold swim.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:48 PM   #4
Kevin C

Maybe hit ice?

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Author Unknown.
Kevin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:59 AM   #5
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
It's already started. Boating accidents. No doubt it was one of those big noisy go fast boats going too fast. Probably turned too sharp to avoid a kayak they didn't see soon enough. Meanwhile, the kayaker tried to call the Marine Patrol and 911 on the cell phone to report the reckless go fast operation but the cell signal was not good enough.

Could the lake be unsafe with only one boat and a kayak in the whole area?
Could the accident been avoided with better cell phone coverage?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Fortunately it seems like no serious injury but I bet it was a cold swim.
It least this one didn't overturn on Weirs Blvd this time, scaring away all the bikers... It was probably one of those high performance 14 footers with 25hp.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2007, 09:23 PM   #6
Mee-n-Mac

Talking How much horsepower ?

I think it was one of these. Now we're talking horsepower !
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2007, 09:46 PM   #7
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
... Could the accident been avoided with better cell phone coverage? ....
Well, .. that is the key right there. All boats will be required to post their Cell numbers in large print on the boat so anyone within 150 feet can text message their intentions.

M&M, that high horsepower boat really solves the gas price problem
Old 04-21-2007, 10:08 PM   #8
KonaChick

Jeeeeeeees hoping those involved aren't members of or frequent this forum..you people are brutal! Let's remember it was a boating accident and not use it as part of your comedy routines.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:10 PM   #9
CanisLupusArctos

Default Could've been debris

We've been watching debris float by since the storm a few days ago, when the water level rose up fast and the ice started taking people's docks out.

Yet, even with the water level so high and debris everywhere, we were surprised to see a few boaters going fast. I wonder how many of those fancy performance boats came back with waterlogged 2x6's nailed into their hulls...

Black Cat Shoals also saw its first "near miss" this morning.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:11 AM   #10
ApS

Quote:
"...Could the lake be unsafe with only one boat and a kayak in the whole area...?
Though there's no mention of these kayakers getting wet, I'm suspecting that "in Moultonborough somewhere" is the incident where three kayakers were rescued from a nearby Bear Camp River island.

Had there been two incidents (one on Winnipesaukee and one on Bear Camp River), and the Winnipesaukee occupants "self-rescued" themselves, there would be just one report for statistics—that of the kayakers.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:56 AM   #11
Airwaves

APS wrote:
Quote:
Had there been two incidents (one on Winnipesaukee and one on Bear Camp River), and the Winnipesaukee occupants "self-rescued" themselves, there would be just one report for statistics—that of the kayakers.
The thing is this thread was started by Lin saying she saw the report via East Coast Paging
which I believe gets its information via police and fire dept scanners so the initial "accident" must have been reported to someone. The fact that I haven't seen anything on the wire or papers about the incident leads me to think it was a false call (or every reporter in NH missed it).
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:14 PM   #12
Airwaves

Default Still can't "edit" my posts

The other thing that makes me think this is not the same "incident" is that the link APS provided shows the caption as saying the kayakers at Bear Camp Island happened Tuesday. Lin's post says her husband checked the pager and saw it on Friday.

So unless he doesn't check the pager very often it leads me to believe the kayakers and boat overturned in Moultonborough somewhere were seperate calls.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:49 PM   #13
Skip

Smile You could write volumes on what you don't read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves
...The fact that I haven't seen anything on the wire or papers about the incident leads me to think it was a false call (or every reporter in NH missed it)...
I shutter to think of the volume of police & fire/rescue activity that occurs on a daily basis in even a small state like New Hampshire that never sees the light of day in the media.

To insinuate that the incident may not have occured because some reporter didn't file a story on it...well, its best I not comment directly on that supposition!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:16 PM   #14
Lin

Quote:
The other thing that makes me think this is not the same "incident" is that the link APS provided shows the caption as saying the kayakers at Bear Camp Island happened Tuesday. Lin's post says her husband checked the pager and saw it on Friday.

So unless he doesn't check the pager very often it leads me to believe the kayakers and boat overturned in Moultonborough somewhere were seperate calls.
We never heard anything else about it. I did see in the paper the incident on the Bearcamp but it isn't the same as was on my husband's pager. As a firefighter he checks that pager constantly and it was on it Friday not the earlier date boating incident of the kids wanting to "ride" the river in the storm. I agree with Skip, many incidents from scanners/pagers do not make the news media.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:03 PM   #15
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin
A boat overturned in Moultonborough somewhere with three occupants in the water already.
Seems odd that with the water temp what it is this time of year that hypothermia would have been an issue which would have required the use of one or more ambulances and a possible life flight.

Just seems odd that the incident vaporized...

Perhaps they were Dems and politics took a hand in the events, after-the-fact?!

What's in your closet?!
Old 04-22-2007, 07:56 PM   #16
Airwaves

Skip wrote:
Quote:
To insinuate that the incident may not have occured because some reporter didn't file a story on it...well, its best I not comment directly on that supposition!
Actually you may have misinterputed my post. What I wrote was;
Quote:
The fact that I haven't seen anything on the wire or papers about the incident leads me to think it was a false call (or every reporter in NH missed it).
I think the word you may have overlooked there was the word "or". If it was a false call there was no story and it certainly would not have made the wirte/papers/tv...OR...every reporter in NH missed the story.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:25 PM   #17
Airwaves

Lin wrote:
Quote:
I agree with Skip, many incidents from scanners/pagers do not make the news media.
Again, no edit capability yet, my bad I should have commented the first time I posted.

You're right, many many incidents on scanners/pagers don't see the light of day, that is because even though something is on a scanner/pager it is an unconfirmed report. In a case like this one, no news organization I have ever worked for would go with this story from East Coast or a scanner not confirmed by another source.
That source could be a dispatcher, PIO, reporter on the scene, witness, etc., but a scanner/pager is only a "tip" and is not used as confirmation of a story by reputable news organizations as fact.

If a reporter of mine used a pager/scanner as "fact" I'd fire him/her.

Be that as it may, there really are only a few reasons an early season boating accident on Winni wouldn't make the news. I have outlined two of them.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:48 AM   #18
Mark

Exclamation Comedy or conspiracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaChick
Jeeeeeeees hoping those involved aren't members of or frequent this forum..you people are brutal! Let's remember it was a boating accident and not use it as part of your comedy routines.
Comedy = what did one kayaker say to the other kayaker? "I'm so relaxed and at peace because those big fast boats are watching out for me." You probably can think of other comedy lines.

Conspiracy: Is that what's going on here? Celebrities, politicians, the very wealthy, the "good 'ole boy network", and those that have "connections" of various types are just a few of those that could quash a story. Buying off alleged victims or witnesses or others. We've all heard about it and some of us have seen it happen. Somehow either the story is not reported, victims fail to pursue the issue, nobody saw it and/or it just goes away. No investigations. No fines or tickets. No publicity. Not a statistic. If there is a police/fire/EMT dispatch like Lin says, the incident might be in the log as, Nothing found or "Gone on arrival" or a similar entry.

Look at it this way. Here's an analogy. Money talks and Imus doesn't. It was the sponsors that pulled out of the Imus shows and ultimately lead to his firing. Sticks and stones can break your bones but names can never hurt you, right? Unless you get influential people involved. Then the money gets you fired and dictates program content. Heck if that can happen why not something more simple? For instance killing a story about a go fast boat flipping over dumping 3 people in 38 degree water.

Another reason that you can not trust the statistics about all those speed related boating accidents.

'nuf said.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:29 AM   #19
KonaChick

Quote:
Comedy = what did one kayaker say to the other kayaker? "I'm so relaxed and at peace because those big fast boats are watching out for me." You probably can think of other comedy lines.

Conspiracy: Is that what's going on here? Celebrities, politicians, the very wealthy, the "good 'ole boy network", and those that have "connections" of various types are just a few of those that could quash a story. Buying off alleged victims or witnesses or others. We've all heard about it and some of us have seen it happen. Somehow either the story is not reported, victims fail to pursue the issue, nobody saw it and/or it just goes away. No investigations. No fines or tickets. No publicity. Not a statistic. If there is a police/fire/EMT dispatch like Lin says, the incident might be in the log as, Nothing found or "Gone on arrival" or a similar entry.

Look at it this way. Here's an analogy. Money talks and Imus doesn't. It was the sponsors that pulled out of the Imus shows and ultimately lead to his firing. Sticks and stones can break your bones but names can never hurt you, right? Unless you get influential people involved. Then the money gets you fired and dictates program content. Heck if that can happen why not something more simple? For instance killing a story about a go fast boat flipping over dumping 3 people in 38 degree water.

Another reason that you can not trust the statistics about all those speed related boating accidents.

'nuf said.

Imus say...I have no idea what you're trying to say here!!
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:11 AM   #20
GTO

Default ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaChick
Imus say...I have no idea what you're trying to say here!!
I just thought it was me.......
Old 04-23-2007, 12:13 PM   #21
John A. Birdsall

Default Hoase ......

Now that is a gas saver, but tell me if the hoarse eats hay to get his power after awhile that power dilutes, and I do not see anyone behind them with pooper scoopers. talk about lake polution
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:39 PM   #22
Skip

Exclamation Pooper scoopers? We really need methane absorbtion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall
Now that is a gas saver, but tell me if the hoarse eats hay to get his power after awhile that power dilutes, and I do not see anyone behind them with pooper scoopers. talk about lake polution
And of course after fueling up those two one horsepower engines on a substantial portion of hay, what do we do about the methane gas produced? Ooooo, the global warming!!!!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:29 PM   #23
DoTheMath

Quote:

'nuf said.

Hey - did you just come here to stir the pot or do you have something valuable to contribute? Cuz so far - at least in this particular thread - you are wasting bandwidth!
DoTheMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:55 AM   #24
ApS

Question What Accident?

Quote:
"...You're right, many many incidents on scanners/pagers don't see the light of day, that is because even though something is on a scanner/pager it is an unconfirmed report. In a case like this one, no news organization I have ever worked for would go with this story from East Coast or a scanner not confirmed by another source.
That source could be a dispatcher, PIO, reporter on the scene, witness, etc., but a scanner/pager is only a "tip" and is not used as confirmation of a story by reputable news organizations as fact..."
Maybe the incident needs to be truly newsworthy: the local paper traveled to a Wolfeboro parking lot in order to put this kayaking incident on the front page!

On the other hand, sometimes a boat/kayak collision will be announced on the radio (Search Dartmouth-Hitchcock), and no follow up account appears in the print media.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanusLupusArctos
We've been watching debris float by since the storm a few days ago, when the water level rose up fast and the ice started taking people's docks out.
I previously described my own dock as "protesting loudly" as the ice moved in. Then I was pleased that the dock was finally level for the first time in years.

Yesterday, I noticed that one of the pilings had been pushed under the dock—breaking a chain I'd intended to keep just that from happening. I would have "protested loudly" myself, but yesterday was a gorgeous day and started to reset the piling. It could have been worse.

Finishing today is problematical: it looks yucky out early this morning.

Quote:
"...Another reason that you can not trust the statistics about all those speed related boating accidents...."
Well, understanding this part of your post was easy.

If a rescue or accident doesn't get reported by the media or investigated by the MPs, for statistical purposes—it never happened.