Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2005, 02:26 PM   #1
Russtic

Default Alton Bay Penny Sale

Hello!
My cousin Sue and I were reminiscing about the lake last night and the subject of the Penny Sale came up. For those that aren't familiar with it, it was an annual event (held by the Alton Police or Fire Association?) on the first Friday in August in a tent by the bandstand. It started in 1971 but we can't remember when it ended.
Local merchants would donate items (Blue Jay golf passes, gift certificates, motor oil, boat accessories, clothing, etc.). You'd buy numbered tickets, 100 for a dollar, and put them in cups to try and win whatever floated your boat. People would sit in their lawn chairs or cars and listen to the caller on microphone as the drawings went on all night. "On a blue ticket, 246795." Winners would shout out or "honk" if they were in their car. A blanket came in handy as it got late and food from Pop's made a nice snack.
Our family had a great time at this event with a mix of us there every year (my cousin Sue never missed one!) We got a little carried away as we talked about it last night and decided to recreate the penny sale at a family gathering on the first Friday in August! Should be a lot of fun.
What would be more fun is if the real Penny Sale came back! Does anyone know why this event ended? Is there any interest in reviving it?
Russtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 10:45 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default It's called burnout

Alton Bay had festivities in August called Old Home Week, and actually ran over two weekends. The Lions, the Alton Volunteer Ambulance Service, and numerous other local groups would have tents set up in the Bay parking lot. I remember a few years with a "block party" uptown in front of the town hall...music, dancing, food. And then there was the Barbershop Quartet gathering every year in Alton that drew Quartets literally from all over the country. (Harmony Park on the east end of Alton Bay next to the town beach is dedicated to that activity and the sponsers. See the attached pictures) There was an awful lot of organization to this event and only a relatively few people who would volunteer to head up the organization and do all the work necessary. As usually happens, burnout results. There may well have been money issues as well, as back in those days (70's & 80's) I was only a visitor here (coming upthesaukee!). the penny sale continued into the 90's but was not necessarily held in conjuction with Old Home Weekend. Of course, another cause is the eventual end for all of us, as death has claimed many of the workers over the years.

Here's some pics from Harmony Park.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:33 AM   #3
gtxrider

Default Barber Shoppers

Oh how I remember the Barber Shoppers. Sandy Point was a buzz with singers every August. They would be singing all day long. "Sweet Adeline...."
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:39 AM   #4
Just Sold

Default Barber Shoppers

We loved it when the Barber Shoppers rode around Alton Bay in boats singing all the way.
My brother actually drove some of them around in our boat one year.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:06 PM   #5
goosejr

Man, this is reaching into the depths of my early memories, but I think it's there. Can you tell me when this one, that the guys sang? It sounds so like something we went to when I was a little Goose.
goosejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2005, 02:18 PM   #6
Russtic

Default Penny Sale

Thanks for the information, upthesaukee. I know what you mean....it seems in a lot of cases that 10% of the people do 90% of the work. Too bad it's not around anymore because it was a great event with much local color.
Still, Alton offers many other events like the summer concerts and the Winter Festival.
Russtic
Russtic is offline   Reply With Quote