Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-30-2006, 11:13 AM   #1
Just Sold

Exclamation Alton Bay Pavilion Goes Condo!

Bayview Pavilion in Alton Bay goes on the market with 7 Condos in MLS as of 6/29. Here are the links to the listings. I am sorry to see that the old Pavillion will no longer be as it was but at least the building will not be torn down.
http://www.nnerenmls.com/nne/maildoc/a005jO.html - and yes I am a REALTOR.

"THIS FIRST OF ONLY 7 VERY UNIQUE 1 OF A KIND LUXURY WINNIPESAUKEE WATERFRONT CONDOS W/PARALLEL DEEDED DOCK = NO BEAM WIDTH RESTRICTION. THIS TREASURE WILL NEVER BE DUPLICATED, FORMERLY THE HISTORIC BAYVIEW PAVILION ALTON BAY. 26` DOCK INCLUDED. $399,900 to $449,900"

Last edited by Just Sold; 07-11-2006 at 09:02 AM.
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:12 AM   #2
Paugus Bay Resident

Here's one of the listings from NNEREN http://www.nneren.com/view2.php?id=2...$399,000.00&t=

So far it looks like the Innovia change over is OK. A few thngs missing, but I guess that's to be expected Should be a big improvement over Ambiance.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
Winni

Unhappy Me too

I am so sad to see the pavilion converted in this way. When my kids were teens, the old pavilion was a roller skating rink. It was so great! Young teens actually had a place to "hang out" and be active, especially in bad weather. It was easily accessible, unlike the high school, as well.

I wish the town had taken this over and made it some kind of a youth center. Seems to me it would have been a much better use of the building and kept it in the public domain.

Sigh. Just what *is* the definition of "progress"?
Old 07-10-2006, 05:12 PM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
...here is the text description and the prices will be $399,900 and $449,900.

Just Sold:
In light of the prices quoted above, I am confused about the following entry in the June 22 edition of the Baysider in "The Real Report"

Town: Alton
Address: Unit 2 Pavillion Property
Type: Condo
Price: $750,000
Seller: D.B. Hoitt
Buyer: Winnipesaukee Pavillion LLC

Can you give us a clue? Thanks - McD
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:08 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni

I wish the town had taken this over and made it some kind of a youth center. Seems to me it would have been a much better use of the building and kept it in the public domain.
Actually there was talk about trying to get some businesses to buy the property and then donate it to the town. However, nearly a million dollars was a lot of money to ask the local businesses to pony up, only to turn it over to the town.

I don't know how you expected to have the town take it over...the property was never in tax trouble to the best of my knowledge, and quite frankly, I don't think the town would want to lose the tax base nor would they want to pony up the money to buy it. Heck we couldn't even get the voters to buy back some land the town sold to a landowner, which cannot be built upon ($10K I think.). Remember, we are talking market value here, and 7 units at a minimum of about $400k is $2.8 million in tax base for revenue...and that will only increase.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:53 AM   #6
Just Sold

Lightbulb Clues?

Well McD with a little reasearch back to 1994 I found the answer(s).

In 1994 a condominium of 3 buildings was created by Johnathan & Nancy Downing who owned the Pavillion and the buildings on either side of it. The house to the right (from the street) is building #1 and the real estate office is building #3 and then that made the Pavillion is #2.

Mr. Hoitt sold his unit, #2 - the Pavillion, on 5/15/06 to Winnipesaukee Pavillion, LLC who is located in Peabody, MA. The LLC is a owned by a development company. They did pay $750,000 for the property and also borrowed $1.875 mil to develop it. They recorded an ammendment to the condominium declartion at the time of the sale to allow them to create the condo's now for sale for $399,900 to $449,900.

I also fixed the link in the original post I made here.
That link will also give you gallery pictures of the floor plans and exterior designs.
Click on the blue box (w/Camera in it) at top right of the form.

For reference: Book 2298, Page 275 is the deed recording the sale and was found in the Belknap Registry of Deeds.

Last edited by Just Sold; 07-12-2006 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Add info on link to condo listing & details
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:44 PM   #7
mcdude

Fascinating!...thanks Just Sold. I knew you'd have the answer(s).
Old 07-12-2006, 08:28 AM   #8
mcdude

Here's an article on the project from the LACONIA CITIZEN (registration required).
Old 07-13-2006, 10:37 AM   #9
Winni

Default Still sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee
Actually there was talk about trying to get some businesses to buy the property and then donate it to the town. However, nearly a million dollars was a lot of money to ask the local businesses to pony up, only to turn it over to the town.

I don't know how you expected to have the town take it over... and 7 units at a minimum of about $400k is $2.8 million in tax base for revenue...and that will only increase.
It is sad to me that the almighty dollar is always, it appears, the final decision maker. You and I both have an interest in the recreation of our town's citizens and especially the children, so I am a little surprised at your response. Yes, one could say that a lot could be done with the tax income, but on the other hand, having raised teenagers in this town, I know the parking lot in Alton Bay is a most favored hangout, and I am no fool about what goes on there. It just seemed to me that it was a missed opportunity for a great teen center, an example of which existed when it was a roller rink.

Too many times I have seen in the politics of Alton, the failure of the "the greater good" to be considered. I don't know how to combat that, as I don't have the savvy necessary to run for office myself. I'm a "heart on the sleeve" type of gal and would fail miserably. I do wish we could find some folks who would run that put the needs of our town's children, safety, and the environment first. But, I guess, judging from the voting record of our NH senator and representatives, as well as other things that have happened in Alton, that is pretty much a pipe dream. So, we'll still have boats ripping across our Bay at 80 mph, condos in the middle of the equivalent of Alton Bay's town green, and who knows what's next. Maybe we should just turn the swim dock into boat docks so we can make spaces for more income generating adults. After all, 8-year-olds only buy kiddie sized ice cream cones. I'm just pretty discouraged about what I've seen "develop ???" in the last 20 years.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:40 PM   #10
mcdude

Quote:
So, we'll still have boats ripping across our Bay at 80 mph, condos in the middle of the equivalent of Alton Bay's town green, and who knows what's next.
Cell phone towers?

(sorry winni...I couldn't help myself ....)
Old 07-13-2006, 06:21 PM   #11
Winni

Default Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude
Cell phone towers?

(sorry winni...I couldn't help myself ....)
Got your email (thanks, btw), McDude, but even so, I would still put the towers under the "safety" section of my "children, safety, and environment" comment!
Old 07-13-2006, 10:00 PM   #12
upthesaukee

Quote:
It is sad to me that the almighty dollar is always, it appears, the final decision maker. You and I both have an interest in the recreation of our town's citizens and especially the children, so I am a little surprised at your response. Yes, one could say that a lot could be done with the tax income, but on the other hand, having raised teenagers in this town, I know the parking lot in Alton Bay is a most favored hangout, and I am no fool about what goes on there. It just seemed to me that it was a missed opportunity for a great teen center, an example of which existed when it was a roller rink.

Too many times I have seen in the politics of Alton, the failure of the "the greater good" to be considered. I don't know how to combat that, as I don't have the savvy necessary to run for office myself. I'm a "heart on the sleeve" type of gal and would fail miserably. I do wish we could find some folks who would run that put the needs of our town's children, safety, and the environment first. But, I guess, judging from the voting record of our NH senator and representatives, as well as other things that have happened in Alton, that is pretty much a pipe dream. So, we'll still have boats ripping across our Bay at 80 mph, condos in the middle of the equivalent of Alton Bay's town green, and who knows what's next. Maybe we should just turn the swim dock into boat docks so we can make spaces for more income generating adults. After all, 8-year-olds only buy kiddie sized ice cream cones. I'm just pretty discouraged about what I've seen "develop ???" in the last 20 years.
Actually, when the Hoitt's bought the Pavillion and remodelled it into a restaurant, we were very much excited. It seemed to be well attended at first, but quickly attendance seemed to diminish. Perhaps the blame is to the owners, i don't know. I know that the food was good, not really out of line in price, but the service was a little slow (45 minutes to get a hamburger on a Saturday afternoon.) Still we were happy someone was trying to make a go of it, and were disappointed when it didn't continue on. Even more disappointing was the fact that no one else thought they could make a go of it as well.

As far as the town taking it over, not only would there have been a significant loss in tax revenue, but there would have also been issues with the overall condition of the building, and that would have meant additional costs. So either the businesses in town put up the $750K to buy the building and give it to the town, or the town buys it, and sinks untold thousands of dollars into the building, with zero tax revenue coming in. What revenue would be generated by a teen center, with enough square footage to house 7 condo units? It simply was not and is not feasible to have that facility become town property. For perhaps two months, it may generate some use, but the remainder of the year, it would be underutilized. And forget charging rent to organizations...they balk at having to pay a minimal rent for the use of the Alton Bay Community Center or the Senior Center on Pearson Rd.

You may not like the "almighty dollar" aspect of the town, but you only have to have gone to town meeting over the past several years,or looked at the deliberative session and balloting in the past year to see how the majority of taxpayers feel about spending money. I am sure that they would not want to see their tax dollars spent on a 10,000 square foot teen center / community center.

I stand by my belief that the building may be better utilized in this day and age with its planned usage, and will monetarily benefit the town.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:54 AM   #13
Winni

Default Understood

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee
I stand by my belief that the building may be better utilized in this day and age with its planned usage, and will monetarily benefit the town.
Yes, I do understand why it has to happen, and I do thank you for taking the time to explain it. Never-the-less, as I said before, having raised teens here, it still does make me sad. Can't help the feelings even though it makes sense in the brain, unfortunately!

I do know what used to go on in that area with kids and I still wish we had a way to intercede. Maybe it isn't as bad today as it was 10 plus years ago; I really don't know anymore. Do you (anyone) still think what goes on in the Bay is a serious problem with teens?
Old 07-18-2006, 03:39 PM   #14
playinghooky

Default What about septic issues?

I may be mistaken but didn't the Pavilion have issues with their septic system? Now by having 7 condos in there with the additional bathrooms, showers and kitchens isn't that going to be an additional problem?
Also, what about parking? Are the owners of the condos going to be able to park in the public parking spaces 24 hours a day or are there spaces set aside for the owners/guests?
Just wondering.
playinghooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:49 PM   #15
Just Sold

I have not read the Condo Declaration but there is one and it has to deal with the parking issue.

The town would have addressed the septic issue prior to any final approval. It is a common septic to all 3 buildings
Old 07-19-2006, 10:02 PM   #16
upthesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by playinghooky
I may be mistaken but didn't the Pavilion have issues with their septic system? Now by having 7 condos in there with the additional bathrooms, showers and kitchens isn't that going to be an additional problem?
Also, what about parking? Are the owners of the condos going to be able to park in the public parking spaces 24 hours a day or are there spaces set aside for the owners/guests?
Just wondering.
There had been a rumor flying around town about a problem with the septic system and that is supposedly why no one would buy it. Question was posed to building inspector when there was some thought about getting the property for a community center, and how much of a problem was the septic, and how much to repair it. Word then was that there was no problem with the septic.

I thought I read in one of the articles about the purchase that there were parking spaces that would be allocated for each condo unit. Can't remember where I read it, perhaps it is just a gray pigment of my imagination .