Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
Tacit Blue

Default Garmin 531 w/ inland lakes

I just purchased and I'm awaiting shipment on a Garmin 531 that is prelaoded with US inland lakes charts. Has anyone have a simalar unit and used the prelaoded charts? Is the Winni chart any good, or will I need to purchase the Bizer chart to get all the information I need (markers, depth readings etc.)?
Tacit Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
speedbump

Default Wishing you good luck.

My experience may not help. Being "GPS" ignorant, my "new to me boat" (09) came with a Garmin 541s. It tells me the lat and lon and has a wonderful depth indicator but lacks all else. It had the inland lakes chip and I thought, as the boat was from the south, that I needed a BIZER chip. I have found no differance with the local chip, it is exactly like the existing chip. It appears my Garmin needs more techichal help than I can provide. Not everything can be found on the internet - help is still to be found.
I would love to see what a screen is supposed to look like. Mine just has a vauge indication for land (which it appears I regularly navigate on) and absolute no navagation help - no markers, no islands, no rocks etc).
Where I get the major highways (Rt 11) and a really bad idea of where the land is (see above) it is of no value. I am either unable to set it up or it needs help beyond my ability.
If it works - others have been happy - but if it does not, you are your own repairman.
But, the old PAPER chart is still working great.
speedbump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
... I thought, as the boat was from the south, that I needed a BIZER chip. I have found no differance with the local chip, it is exactly like the existing chip. ...
The Bizer SD chip has substantial detail and is notably different from the Garmin base map. If you installed the Bizer SD chip and can see no difference, it is likely that you do not have the GPS configured correctly to use the Bizer chip. Most Garmins have a map selection page wherein the desired map is selected to take precedence over the unit's base map. Bizer just spent 20 minutes on the phone helping a Center Harbor fellow with his Garmin 498. Try pushing the HOME button and selecting CHARTS (or INFORMATION or CONFIGURE) and then use the MENU button. You may have to play around with it as the Garmin manual is a bit vague (and I don't own a 541).

Bizer guarantees satisfaction. If you can't get it to work (or if you are not satisfied for any reason), return the SD card and Bizer will refund your money.

One thing: For user's who want the SD card version, Bizer ships a Micro-SD chip (about the size of a fingernail) with an SD adapter (about the size of a postage stamp). Make sure that the Micro-SD chip is inserted into the adapter before inserting the SD adapter into the GPS.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:56 AM   #4
Lakepilot

Default Navionics app for iPhone or Droid

In addition to my paper charts and Standard Horizon, I use the Navionics app for my iPhone. It costs $9.99 and shows all the buoys, depth contours etc., for the big lake, Wentworth, Crescent and many others. The same app works for me in the Everglades.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #5
Fargo

Default Avionics

I just downloaded the Navionics to my iPad, very cool but I think I'll stick with the paper charts.
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links