Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2014, 10:02 AM   #1
dt5150

Default Anchor donation

well, i made a donation to the lake... my anchor, chain, and about 10 feet of rope

fished saturday morning then took the family tubing in the afternoon. after tubing for a while, they wanted to anchor up and do some swimming. so, i anchored up off the south end of welch. then came time to head back to the ramp so i went to pull up the anchor and it wouldn't budge. i tried everything i could think of but that sucker just wouldn't move. even tried to pull it loose with the boat in the opposite direction but no luck. must have gotten lodged under a rock. so after a good while messing with it, i had to cut the line. a new anchor, chain and rope is being delivered today.
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
jrc

What kind of anchor? I lost a couple of fluke style anchors to rocks, then switched to plow style. I've had to work the plow a few times but it always comes up. Knock on wood
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:04 PM   #3
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
What kind of anchor? I lost a couple of fluke style anchors to rocks, then switched to plow style. I've had to work the plow a few times but it always comes up. Knock on wood
My plow has also never been caught permanently. I sure hope that never happens; the anchor, swivel, and the rope/chain (spliced for windlass) rode cost a small fortune.

That said, I have a mask. fins, and snorkel and a 50 foot 3/8" line with a snap hook, on board all the time. I leave a clevis permanently attached to the hole in the back of the anchor as well. If I have to, I can free dive to 25 feet or more and clip the line to the clevis on anchor easily enough. That will give me the option of pulling on the anchor from the opposite end, from the boat.

If I anchor early or late in the season when the water is cold, I clip the 3/8" line to the anchor and tie a fender to the other end, before I deploy the anchor.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
dt5150

fluke style, slip ring.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
Phantom

Having "been there, done that, and have the T-shirt" ......

My only consolation to you is -- be happy it was only 10' of line !

We donated one to the Lake a few years back off Bear Island in close to 60' of water. Line, chain, and Anchor

Why anchor there one may ask -- at the time our kids were younger and we use to rent jet ski's from Y-Landing. As they were young, and adult had to be aboard the jet, guess who got elected, while the wife and remainder would sun & swim off the boat.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
Rinkerfam

Here's a good one...friends of mine were enjoying the first season with their new Bryant several years ago. They decided to anchor in Meredith in what was probably 30-40 feet of water. Jane told John (names changed to protect the innocent) to toss the anchor, which he did willingly. Jane turned just in time to see the last of the anchor line go over the side. I guess John thought that it would tie itself to the cleat
Old 07-23-2014, 07:51 AM   #7
Phantom

Just bought a new (larger) boat this year ..... while poking around the new toy looking at all the new enhancements, I happened to open the forward anchor hatch. Much to my surprise (and pleasure) I found that our Marina had given us a brand new anchor & line. How nice we thought.

I do not know what possessed me to investigate further -- before simply pitching it out at the first spot we decided to anchor at --- but as I looked further there was only 25 feet of line !!

That could have been a serious "red faced" moment ..... and WHAT was the Marina thinking !

Old 07-23-2014, 07:59 AM   #8
donnamatrix

Default lost anchors

Over the years, we have lost anchor/line in Paugus Bay, and another one near Poplar Island (lots of boulders there). I also have mask/fins because you need to cut the line as far down as possible. We also tried using the weight of the boat to dislodge the anchor to no avail. They were both fluke/slip ring, which we still use. You just have to always have a Leatherman on board!
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #9
Steveo

Default lost anchors

I live within short distance to many rock areas so pretty much every anchor I own was donated to me.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:53 PM   #10
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

So, anchoring in rocky areas, I should always attach a light line and a float so that a diver could later retrieve my hook., line and chain? Instead of cutting the line, I could just let it all go for later retrieval.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #11
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Go Digger

Get yourself a "Digger" anchor and never worry about losing your anchor again. Best holding anchor I ever bought! No chain needed or recommended! Can be released if stuck so anchor is straight in line with the rope for easy removal. No more lost anchors!

http://www.diggeranchor.com/Home_Page.html

Dan
trfour (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 11:30 AM   #12
Orion

Default Mythical magic anchor

Anyone who's seen the bottom of the lake will attest that there's no such thing as an anchor that can't get stuck. Line the rope up just right between the wrong two boulders and you'll be kissing your anchor goodbye.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:33 PM   #13
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Anyone who's seen the bottom of the lake will attest that there's no such thing as an anchor that can't get stuck. Line the rope up just right between the wrong two boulders and you'll be kissing your anchor goodbye.
Well my "mythical magic anchor" is going on 7 years old. It's been stuck many times but always released and freed itself just as advertised.

I'm sure there is a way to get it stuck but so far so good.

Just trying to promote a good USA made and proven product that has worked for me and might help others out. Believe it or not...

Dan
brk-lnt (07-25-2014), Orion (07-28-2014), trfour (07-26-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #14
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkerfam View Post
Here's a good one...friends of mine were enjoying the first season with their new Bryant several years ago. They decided to anchor in Meredith in what was probably 30-40 feet of water. Jane told John (names changed to protect the innocent) to toss the anchor, which he did willingly. Jane turned just in time to see the last of the anchor line go over the side. I guess John thought that it would tie itself to the cleat
My husband loves to ask me, "You know why they call that 'the bitter end,' don't you?"
Old 07-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #15
Misty Blue

Default Watch how hard you pull!

One of my Lake Brothers and I were diving on the Lady and I managed to get the Misty's anchor stuck. Nothing would get it up. So with a bit of air left in my tank I dropped down only to find that I was hooked on to the power supply to Locke's island! WOW, close one!

Our friends at Bizer are considering adding "Cable area" references to the chart.

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #16
nhcatrider

That could have ended badly. I've swum over several of those cables, and can only imagine what would happen if one had an "issue" with anyone or anything in the area.
nhcatrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:23 PM   #17
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeboardMom View Post
My husband loves to ask me, "You know why they call that 'the bitter end,' don't you?"
Yeah, it tastes horrible, that's why. Try it next time you're on the boat, I bet you'll agree it's a bitter taste when the anchor line has spent a season or two in the locker.
Winni-Retired (07-25-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 01:12 PM   #18
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
One of my Lake Brothers and I were diving on the Lady and I managed to get the Misty's anchor stuck. Nothing would get it up. So with a bit of air left in my tank I dropped down only to find that I was hooked on to the power supply to Locke's island! WOW, close one!

Our friends at Bizer are considering adding "Cable area" references to the chart.

Misty Blue.
Need to know the outcome. Did you donate it or did did you get real brave and release it?
Old 07-29-2014, 08:20 AM   #19
CrownRay

I was anchored in that little quiet cove just to the right of Lee's Mill. When pulling up the anchor, I noticed it was quite heavy. I thought it may have been mud, but then I noticed the steel cable I was pulling up. It was not a power cable, but just a steel, rope style cable. I could not imagine what that was there for. Maybe an old mooring line??

Cue the scene in Jaws 2.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #20
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Get yourself a "Digger" anchor and never worry about losing your anchor again. Best holding anchor I ever bought! No chain needed or recommended! Can be released if stuck so anchor is straight in line with the rope for easy removal. No more lost anchors!

http://www.diggeranchor.com/Home_Page.html

Dan
I like to look at these anchor claims, as I'm wondering what my 'next' anchor will be.

It seems to me that the lake has a (mostly) mud bottom, with some areas of sand and plenty of rocks.

I currently have a 'plow' type with a chain and rope rode. But it doesn't always hold always as I would like it to. But then again, I haven't lost it yet!

As an example, one day I couldn't get it to hold at all at the sand bar which is just north of the bridge inside of Governer's Island. It could have just been a strange spot, but at an area I thought that should be easy to get a hold, after 5 tries, I left and went somewhere else (there were a lot of boats there that day, and I didn't want play 'set the anchor' anymore with so many boats on the sandbar).

So I did a google search on this 'digger' anchor and found this test where it appears to be mentioned in a 'mud' test:
http://www.creativemarine.com/newpro...nchor_test.htm

The digger seems to not do well on mud bottoms. Also, their website doesn't have much information at all. But it's good to know that you like it and endorse it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (07-29-2014), salty dog (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 11:23 AM   #21
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I like to look at these anchor claims, as I'm wondering what my 'next' anchor will be.

It seems to me that the lake has a (mostly) mud bottom, with some areas of sand and plenty of rocks.

I currently have a 'plow' type with a chain and rope rode. But it doesn't always hold always as I would like it to. But then again, I haven't lost it yet!

As an example, one day I couldn't get it to hold at all at the sand bar which is just north of the bridge inside of Governer's Island. It could have just been a strange spot, but at an area I thought that should be easy to get a hold, after 5 tries, I left and went somewhere else (there were a lot of boats there that day, and I didn't want play 'set the anchor' anymore with so many boats on the sandbar).

So I did a google search on this 'digger' anchor and found this test where it appears to be mentioned in a 'mud' test:

The digger seems to not do well on mud bottoms. Also, their website doesn't have much information at all. But it's good to know that you like it and endorse it.
Interesting test results. Thanks for posting the link.

Personally I have never had issues in mud / sand bars. It has always held very well. Then again we have no currents on the lake to contend with, just wind and waves.

What's also interesting is I found out about this anchor on one of the other forums I frequent. Most of the people on that forum boat on the Mississippi river which has mainly a mud bottom. The digger was their anchor of choice by a wide margin.

I remember buying mine at Cabellas a number of years ago, so I went back to check the reviews and they all still seem very good... http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/0111...ews.htm?page=2

I do know that when using the digger, no chain and a 5 to 1 ratio is critical for holding. I have a 26' Premier pontoon so I love the no chain to minimize scratches and damage when dragging the anchor up. The release mechanism works great too for cleaning off any mud and debris before bringing it in the boat or to free itself if stuck on the bottom. Here's a youtube video showing how it works... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXFZf2eIKTI

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 07-29-2014 at 02:11 PM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:18 PM   #22
salty dog

Default Break the bank!

Quote:

Interesting article. It did seem strange that they couldn't get the Digger to set. Unless I missed it, I didn't see if it was tested more than one time. I also researched the Digger and noticed may positive reviews. On the other end of the scale, I went to the XYZ Marine website just to check the prototype anchor. It performed well in the testing but they sell from $900 to $1100. Yikes! Talk about breaking the bank! I think I'll keep my galvi navy anchor that came with the boat and if I loose that, I'll consider upgrading to the Digger.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:33 PM   #23
Rich

It seems anchors are religion, sort of like the eternal Chevy vs Ford discussions....

Previously, I was considering a Rocna anchor, but they are also pricey:
http://www.rocna.com/

They have a version that's designed to be retrieved easily if it gets caught in rocks: http://www.rocna.com/product-range/rocna-fisherman

They also get good reviews and test results. But I haven't seen a 'mud only' test like the one in my previous link.

If you think any anchor is expensive, check out the Stainless Steel prices of any particular anchor!!
Old 07-30-2014, 02:37 PM   #24
znh

Sort of related question.

On Winni when people are in relatively calm water, not including the sand bars, what ratio are people using for anchor line:water depth ? I know most literature calls out for 7:1 or 5:1 ratio but I can't see that being realistic on the lake. We tend to drop anchor in 20 feet of water, that would be 140 or 100 feet of line, I don't see anyone doing it like that and we have never had a problem dropping the anchor, backing it in and setting it and then tying it off, but I would guess we are closer to a 3:1 or even 2:1 ratio when we usually anchor. What say ye ?
znh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:07 PM   #25
jrc

My rule of thumb is 3 to 1. If I'm leaving the boat, I want more than that.

I have 25' of chain and then nylon line marked every 25 feet. At the sandbar, I just use the chain. In 15' of water, I pay out all the chain and stop after the first mark on the rope. At 25' of water, I go to the second mark.

If no one is around or expected I go another 25', but once you get that much line out you are going to move around in any breeze. We hardly ever anchor much deeper, mainly because we will sail around too much. Our boat doesn't lie quietly downwind, it sails all over the place.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:07 PM   #26
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by znh View Post

On Winni when people are in relatively calm water, not including the sand bars, what ratio are people using for anchor line:water depth ? I know most literature calls out for 7:1 or 5:1 ratio but I can't see that being realistic on the lake. We tend to drop anchor in 20 feet of water, that would be 140 or 100 feet of line, I don't see anyone doing it like that and we have never had a problem dropping the anchor, backing it in and setting it and then tying it off, but I would guess we are closer to a 3:1 or even 2:1 ratio when we usually anchor. What say ye ?
For day-use, I usually do a 3:1 or 4:1 scope on the main, but I have an oversize anchor for my boat and lots of chain in my 265' rode and I know I can get away with it in just about any situation. My stern anchor it really small and I use at least 7:1 scope on it, but that's easy to do since it's always in very shallow water. If I anchor overnight or will be leaving the boat unattended, I do a full 7:1 on the main anchor.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:32 AM   #27
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Anchors

Would putting your name and telephone number on your anchor help or would it just get broken off?

Pet I.D. Tag
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:28 AM   #28
nhboat61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkerfam View Post
Even better... the first time I anchored, I dropped the anchor in about 30' of water and watched the rope slide right over the side... forgot to tie it off. Luckily I had a second anchor, tied it off first and dropped it off the side. About 2 hours later as I pulled up the anchor, I said to myself "this thing is heavy"... walla there was my first anchor hooked to the second one !! Talk about luck.
nhboat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:58 AM   #29
NH_boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by znh View Post

I know most literature calls out for 7:1 or 5:1 ratio but I can't see that being realistic on the lake.
5:1, 7:1 or more is generally used for ocean ground tackle with tides, swells and wind gusts, and generally for (unwatched) overnight anchoring. "Lunch anchoring" is what most of us do on the lake and 3:1 is generally plenty with a good bottom surface. Weeds can interfere with a good set on most anchors so shallow sets can be problematic, unless on the sand bar, which is ideal.

Remember scope includes the water to anchor tie off height, not just the water depth. If you have a chain, which is recommended, your anchor set improves. The weight if the chain helps lock in the anchor and helps to make the pull on the anchor have a shallower angle. This is like additional scope. The anchor chain also acts like a shock absorber with wind gusts and waves. The heavy chain arc slowly rises and falls and this greatly reduces the shock that likes to dislodge an anchor set.

I have 20' of oversized chain for my 23' boat, attached to my aluminum fortress anchor. Works great.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NH_boater For This Useful Post:
znh (07-31-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 08:37 AM   #30
znh

I will have to measure the chain length, I would think it is only 8-10 feet or so, maybe I will look into lengthening the chain part.

We have never had an issue anchoring really but I think I have had some sets where I was probably closer to a 2:1 ratio, but never around any other boats or areas where if we did break loose it would be an issue.

I also like the idea of tying a safety line to a small buoy or something just in case it did get stuck or break off...
znh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:17 AM   #31
jrc

More chain always improves your anchoring ability but it does add weight. The rule of thumb is a boat length more or less. I have 25' on a 35' boat with a windlass. I'm not sure I'd want that much on a smaller boat.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:50 AM   #32
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
More chain always improves your anchoring ability but it does add weight. The rule of thumb is a boat length more or less. I have 25' on a 35' boat with a windlass. I'm not sure I'd want that much on a smaller boat.
Hauling up 4 feet of chain by hand is chore enough for me ( on a 26' boat)

upthesaukee (08-04-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #33
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Free anchors

I have a slew of anchors that I will give free to Winni Forum folks. I'm no anchor expert but they looked good enough to me to take home. Use them as you will but I assume no liability for their integrity. Sorry about the disclaimer but it's the world we live in.

Having 2 anchors on board is a great idea also.

Piks attached.

Contact me via PM thru the Forum.

Diver1111
Attached Images

Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post:
DBreskin (08-08-2014), Lambo (08-10-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 07:04 AM   #34
Phantom

LOL

"Diver1111's Salvage Store" !!!

Some of those look practically brand new !

Old 08-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #35
Dave R

I'll take a 10 kg Rocna if you ever find one.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #36
Rich

Do you have any Fortress FX-16 or FX-23's, or a Rocna 15 or 20 in your collection? If so, put my name on it!
Old 08-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #37
Phantom

LOL Diver !!

Now there putting in orders !

Old 08-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #38
Rich

Orders? No, a wish list! It's more like Diver Claus is in town!
Old 08-06-2014, 02:54 PM   #39
Phantom

totally .... LMAO
Old 08-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #40
Dave R

Quote:
Do you have any Fortress FX-16 or FX-23's, or a Rocna 15 or 20 in your collection? If so, put my name on it!

I doubt the Fortress would work well with a windlass.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #41
Dad sold the C * C

Is it a problem if he finds one of the "requested" anchors while it is still in use
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:37 AM   #42
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I doubt the Fortress would work well with a windlass.
In what way? A friend has one that looks like it's working well for him.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #43
Dave R

Quote:
In what way? A friend has one that looks like it's working well for him.
I don't that that style will always seat into the bow roller in the same orientation. It's not designed to self-right as it enters the roller like a Delta, Bruce, Rocna or CQR would.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:45 AM   #44
ApS

Red face Added to my life-long experiences...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
LOL
"Diver1111's Salvage Store" !!!
Some of those look practically brand new !
At a yard sale, I bought a large galvanized Danforth anchor for $3. 'Figured I could straighten it out, as it was bent—not badly. But even with a 7' steel lever and top-notch vise bolted to a large bench, it never returned to satisfactory.

Guess I'll include it in my next yard sale!

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:00 AM   #45
dt5150

put the torch to it, she'll bend back.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #46
ApS

Exclamation Not worth it...

Being galvanized, there are risks:

https://www.osha.gov/doc/outreachtra.../weldhlth.html
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #47
DBreskin

Default Many thanks...

Many thanks to Diver1111 for allowing me to add to my anchor quiver. I now have a well-oxidized Danforth as an option on my boat. It's interesting to see how the galvanizing fares after several years underwater.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote