Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
Piston

Default Reminder to correct your BIZER charts!

Hi All,
I just got through correcting/updating my 8th edition Bizer chart (the current edition) for Winni, and thought I would post a reminder for everyone.

If you have anything later than the 8th edition it would be wise to update it to the current edition (8th-same as last year) and make the corrections listed on their website.

Also wanted to mention that keep in mind the depths listed on the Bizer chart are in reference to a lake level of 503.1' (the average lake level in October). If the lake level is not exactly 503.1', the depths will not be exact, keep this in mind. (However, it is usually within a foot so it isn't much different anyways)
This is usually less than the typical summertime level of the lake but not always. Also, some people forget that the heights listed for bridge clearances are in reference to full pool, or 504.3'. All these references come from the "zero point" of the gauge at Weirs, as stated on the Bizer chart.
The reason for the differences for heights vs. depths is to give the boater the 'most likely worst case scenerio' This way, there will usually be a little more water under your boat than the chart says, and a little more clearance for the bridge than your chart says, but of course, not always.

I'd also like to mention to everyone, that something just as important as using the chart that often gets overlooked, is to actually go through and read all the information on the chart, meaning all the little notes written on the chart. There is a lot of good information on it.

Another note, if you were blessed with a new GPS for Xmas and this is the first year your using it, be sure the datum is set correctly. Often times GPS come with the correct datum for the Bizer chart (WGS84, same as NAD83) but not always. If your GPS is set to anything but WGS84, change it! It's always prudent to double check this.

Here is a link to all the chart corrections Bizer has published since the 8th edition chart has been out. http://bizer.com/bztnews.htm#updates
Most are minor, but they are worth taking a look at. (specifically, the addition of another ice cream parlor in Center Harbor )

I'm not sure if there is a way to correct the electronic chart for our chartplotters?

If I've made any mistakes in this post please correct me.
Have a happy and safe boating season!
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Piston For This Useful Post:
Alsobig (04-09-2012), Billy Bob (04-09-2012), mhtranger (04-09-2012), pcmc (04-08-2012), trfour (04-09-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
SIKSUKR

Never noticed the depth and height difference.My 6th edition has that info clearly printed on the front of the chart.Thanks.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
Piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Never noticed the depth and height difference.My 6th edition has that info clearly printed on the front of the chart.Thanks.
I was actually a little surprised it wasn't right out in the open like that.
It does state the depth and height datums, under the "depths and Heights" notes, but it's rather confusing and unclear if your reading through quickly.

Normally on navigational charts it will clearly state right under the title of the chart, that the depths are in feet and what they are referenced to (typically Mean lower low water for the ocean), as well, it will state that heights are in feet and referenced (usually) to mean higher high water, for the same reasons, to give the mariner a little safety margin.

I do think that a good idea would be to use all "feet" as the units on the chart. It can be confusing to look at the chart, and see "meters" used for the topo lines and elevations for land, which clearly show an "m" after each number, however, for depths and heights it uses meters. This is pretty nitpicky but overall it's not a good idea to use feet and meters in one chart, they should be all the same units, either feet OR units, and of course, being an inland U.S. chart, it should all be in feet.

Overall, the Bizer chart is by far the most useful navigational tool I have seen for the lake, and I consider it indispensable. They've done an excellent job with their charts.
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote