Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2004, 04:27 PM   #1
masssteve

Default Smallie best lures?

I have heard alot of different things from alot of people. What is the best lure for smallies?
masssteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 05:10 PM   #2
csuhockey3

The old stand-by -- get a 'Long-A Gold Bomber' is the absolute best! I always have 2 of them with me. Alan Nute at A.J's Bait and Tackle in Meredith always has a bunch of them. Great for pickerel and largemouth too. I love 'em and SO DO THE FISH!

--CSUhockey3
csuhockey3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 09:02 PM   #3
scott s

Default smallie lures

Hi,

Can't disagree with the bomber in the spring, but add a few things:

Gitzit or a grub on a 1/4 to 3/8 oz head, a spider jig, and a pop-r topwater in the am.

I can't stress enough that you need to find deep flats (20-35 feet) with grass or weeds on them in the summer.

My BEST ADVICE for learing quickly is hiring steve lucarelli for a day. (NHsmallmouth.com) You will be set for the summer! (He beats me up all year in tournaments!!!!)

Regards,

Scott
scott s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 06:07 AM   #4
fyshhead

Default for the truly casual fisherman, a topwater lure...

for the occasional fisherman looking for a few smallies here and there, one of the easiest ways to catch them is to get up early and throw a topwater lure (such as a pop-r, jitterbug or a tiny torpedo) and fish it over or near any rock pile... do this a few times and you'll get an idea just how aggressive these fish can be... some days a fast retrieve works better, other days work it slowly... sometimes, i just let it sit there (no retrieve at all) for upwards of a minute or two and one will come up and smash it...

topwaters are also very effective right at the end of the day and, occasionally, at any time of day... there are many methods of catching smallies, this is just one of the easiest.........

good luck,
gary
fyshhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 01:30 PM   #5
csuhockey3

My favorite top water is the zara puppy (or the larger zara spook when it gets warmer).

--CSUhockey3

Last edited by csuhockey3; 05-27-2004 at 01:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2004, 06:59 PM   #6
Nemesis

Default Dont forget this one!

You must throw a white 1/4 or 3/8 oz spinnerbait with silver blade(s), 2nd color choice is Chartruse with Chart. blades. Fleck makes a good spinnerbait....ask Charlie Moore.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:32 PM   #7
csuhockey3

I always have much better luck with gold spinners. I especially like the blue fox #5 (I think) gold spinner with gold blade. I usualy go for a white spinner bait with gold blades. Guess it's just preference and where your at -- I am in the meredith to moultonboro area, where are you Nemesis?

--CSUhockey3
Old 05-29-2004, 07:44 AM   #8
gtxrider

I agree, a Blue Fox works great. I have luck with a gold #2 in shallow water. FISH ON!
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 05:06 PM   #9
Tyler

Default tournament scott

beating you in a tournament these past few years my friend has been real easy. What happened to the scott smith that used to win many tournaments on winnipesaukee?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 02:35 PM   #10
JDeere

Default Bomber

I will second the gold bomber as my favorite lure. I have caught my largest SMB on that lure.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 08:56 AM   #11
Jeff Furber

Default Smallie best lures

Cannot disagree with any of the above choices, adding a Tiny Torp, to that selection and on very windy days a spinnerbait, with the smallies deciding what color they may want.
In front of Mark, Timber islands on a very windy day when no other bait could be fished, after trying a number of colors, I hit on a particular color and boated 25 smallies( in two hours) that were all over 3lbs and a couple close to four. My fishing partner did not have a similar color and I only had that one lure. It eventually got caught in a boulder, surprise, surprise, and was gone as the wind was very strong and it one one of those rare moments when all the smallies hitting that lure were the same size.
During calm days I often like a small reaper type bait fished on the bottom(post spawn) near steep dropoffs.l I call it the Winnie reaper and I got it out of California and its brown with a Chart tip and I fish it on a 1/8-3/6th stand up head .
Jeff Furber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:48 AM   #12
scott s

Default To tyler

Tyler,

nice job IN THE SPRING. let's see how you and the old man do after they spawn.

you still need about 50 more wins to catch up..... :

A small piece of advice: You are a young guy and I assume you'd like to move up in the sport, and maybe get on a few promotional staff teams. You have every opportunity ahead of you, but it is best to let your fishing speak for you.

You never know who is listening or reading these posts.

Best of luck for the rest of the year!

Regards,

Scott Smith
Skeeter National Team
Director Team Skeeter Northeast
Old 07-13-2004, 03:37 PM   #13
Tyler

Default Thanks buddy

For the reply. You ducked my question, what has happened to you on winni these past couple of years? If you need to get some tips, POP and I will be willing to sell you some of our spots!!!
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 06:39 AM   #14
CableBob

My favorite lure for smallies as stated above is the jitterbug or popper in the early AM or at dusk. If fishing during the day Sluggo, Sluggo, Sluggo. Any color, any size. I use 6 inch. Use finishing nails for weights if you need to play the sluggo deep which you'll find you need to do in the bright sun.
CableBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 08:11 AM   #15
scott s

Default re:what happened

Tyler,

Don't know what you mean. I've done just fine on winni the past couple of years, (10 money finishes, 3 wins.) more importantly, I've been blessed to fish with a bunch of great guys as partners and had a ton of fun!

Other than spring time, where have YOU been????

Have you done anything this year since you jerked a couple smallies this past May? LOL Stupid brown fish...

I'll see you on the 25th to remind you one more time.

There will also be a few more teams there that I'm sure will be happy to take your money like Steve and Joe, Alan and Betty, Danny and Lynn, Jean and Sandy, and the Plouffes to name a few.

tight lines,

Scott

I

Scott
Old 08-20-2004, 06:12 PM   #16
halclyon
Deceased Member

Default The best lures are alive!

By far, the best bait for small mouth bass are natural ones, live helgrammites and/or crawfish. Read my chapter on small mouths in ANGLING IN THE SMILE OF THE GREAT SPIRIT (www.deepwaterspress.com) for almost fool-proof tips for small mouth bass, in my opinion, the best fighting fish in the lake , pound for pound!

Good angling,

Hal Lyon
140 E. Bear Island
halclyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 09:30 PM   #17
Grant

Doc Lyon!

I have enjoyed your book immensely this summer! Thank you very much. Much of it rings true to me, and I find myself nodding and saying "uh-huh...yep...that's right!" more often than I can relate. What a wonderful tome, and one I am going make sure is read by many family members.

BTW -- regarding smallie baits -- this summer we had more luck with the plastic helgies in a Texas rig. Lots of nice bass in Tuftonboro who wanted NOTHING to do with the live crawfish (which, by the way, we're still catching by the dozen in the trap with some meat bones and heads and finding und er rocks along the shores), and, for once in the my 40+ year angling Winni, I couldn't sell a jitterbug at any time of day.

That being said, I sure saw some fine smallies while diving this year.

If you can't catch 'em, blow some bubbles with 'em...

Thanks again for the great read!

gfe
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote