Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2009, 04:55 AM   #1
StuMont

Default Campfire Girls at Camp Andover 1950

Hello everyone.

I’m a first time poster looking for some information on Camp Andover at Lake Winnipesaukee c1950.

My dear mother, Marion Jack, was a member of the Codman Square, Dorchester, Massachusetts Campfire Girls in 1950/1. She has often told me about a camp she attended in 1950 at Camp Andover on Lake Winnipesaukee and I know she would dearly love to hear from any other campers from that time.

I’ve heard about the open air services held on Sundays in a clearing where a tree had been fashioned into a cross and where the organ was encased in stone. Also, she’s told me about mock trials the girls would perform where the ‘judge’ wore a string mop as a wig and would serve forfeits on the miscreants. My mother, for example, had to tread barefoot in pot of cold spaghetti having been found guilty of talking in her sleep!

I’m afraid she’s unable to recall any names save that the ‘Aunty’ of her cabin/tent was Betty and that she formed a friendship with Eleanor from another Campfire Girls group attending the camp.

My mother emigrated from Grangemouth, Scotland, to USA in July’49 and, whilst the family returned to Scotland in April ‘51, she has nothing but fond memories of the time she spent in the US, particularly whilst at Camp Andover.

I know she has some photos that she took at the time (which I’ll endeavour to copy and post here) but unfortunately has none of herself at the camp. She also still has a cream-coloured vinyl disc recording made by the Campfire Girl whilst at the camp in 1950 featuring “One Nine Five Oh at Andover”/”Peace I Ask of You Oh River”. She recalls that this was recorded in the camp’s dining room.

Here’s hoping I’ve sparked off some memories for someone who can help.

Kind regards,

StuMont
StuMont is offline   Reply With Quote