Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2015, 07:33 PM   #1
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Invasive species in the lake

I have seen huge amounts of invasive growth on the bottom of Winnipesaukee although this varies widely place to place-Paugus and Lees Mills come to mind among others; I have posted here a sonar image of a plant invasive in Paugus covering acres. Plant invasives there can be so thick they present a wall 6 feet high and so dense swimming through it is impossible.

That brings me to Shellfish invasives, not something I have seen yet in the big lake.

In 2013 I attended a sonar training course at North West Michigan College on Lake Michigan. One of the instructors at the college told the class that quagga and zebra mussels (filter feeders) are so bad in Lake Michigan that scientists estimate that the entire contents of Lake Michigan are filtered through the present mussel population every 8 days..

Another diver/sonar operator I came across named Dan Scoville hunts wrecks in the Great Lakes. The photographs he took with his ROV (remotely operated vehicle) below showing invasive mussels completely covering wrecks speaks for itself. It's unbelievable. If you doubt the power they have to affect a body of water, look closely at their sheer numbers on these wrecks.

The collateral damage from them is really bad.

This said if you ever see an odd accumulation of small shellfish I would strongly suggest you email DES a photo describing where they were located what were they attached to.

Two major offenders you are looking for is the Quagga mussel and the Zebra mussel, both generally about 1" long.

Note there are fresh water clams in the lake that are not invasives to my knowledge. I feed bass with them now and then.

These Shellfish invasives will also clog pipe inlets, cover outboards and anything else they can get a foothold on, and are a true scourge.

Lake Champlain already has a problem with an assortment of invasives so if it can happen there it can happen here. Read more here:

http://www.lakechamplaincommittee.or...ecies-in-lake/

Just a heads-up to please be vigilant and watch for them. These things border on plain evil, killing all sorts of other marine life that are in their path.

Start by cleaning you boat well when you travel from one body of water to another esp. the anchor well.
Attached Images

Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post:
Broken Glass (04-01-2015), Descant (04-04-2015), DRH (04-01-2015), Jersey Ed (04-01-2015), Just Sold (04-01-2015), pcmc (04-01-2015), rander7823 (04-02-2015), Rattlesnake Gal (04-02-2015), Senter Cove Guy (04-01-2015), Steveo (04-01-2015), Winopt (04-01-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 07:46 PM   #2
meredith weekender

We are located in Meredith Bay and some type of Mussels have been taking over our area for the last 5 years. As the lake warms up, they come in all around our dock and into the shallow waters. We could fill a 5 gallon pail in about 30 minutes. They get worse every year.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to meredith weekender For This Useful Post:
JakeLake (04-01-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 08:34 AM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredith weekender View Post
We are located in Meredith Bay and some type of Mussels have been taking over our area for the last 5 years. As the lake warms up, they come in all around our dock and into the shallow waters. We could fill a 5 gallon pail in about 30 minutes. They get worse every year.
I would suggest contacting DES, and having the come out and identify said Mussels......

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++

I lived in Vermont on Lake Champlain for 8 years... we all think the issue on Winnipesaukee are bad.... the can get a whole lot worse if people let there guard down, or decide not to address a problem as soon as they see it. On Champlain I saw issue with aquatic plants and with zebra muscles first hand... the plants chocked parts of the lake and made them absolutely unusable. I recall going to a ramp to launch my boat, only to find that the vegetation was so bad I almost could push the boat off the trailer.....I forget what the plant in that are was, but I remember researching it to find out that it was one of many evasive species of aquatic plants, and was wide spread all over lake Champlain make parts of the lake unusable.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:14 AM   #4
JakeLake

Default It will get worse..

I studied invasive species last semester.. the outlook for lakes in this region does not look good, especially in lakes that are heavily trafficked like Winni. The fairly obvious thing that makes Invasive species such a problem is that they have no natural predators. Their population increases until it reaches carrying capacity (The point where there isn't enough food to sustain life), but by that point the whole ecology of the lake would be destroyed. 99% of boaters and lake goers can responsibly rinse off equipment, but all it takes is that 1% to destroy the whole eco-system of the lake. Zebra Muscles will eventually become a problem that needs to be handled, the sooner the better.. but in a lake so big I understand why its not a priority yet.. "out of sight, out of mind".
Mill-foil is also another invasive species that could be disastrous to Winni.. As if its negative effects on swimming and boating isn't bad enough, the chemicals that are used to fight the Mill-foil render any water being drawn out of Winni undrinkable for at least 2 weeks. If you can't drink it you can only imagine what its doing to the aquatic wildlife that has to live in it and breath it. But, in the grand scheme of freshwater invasive species that could survive in Winni it could be a lot worse. (Google 'Silver "Flying" Carp). Time will tell. Great thread though.
JakeLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLake View Post
If you can't drink it you can only imagine what its doing to the aquatic wildlife that has to live in it and breath it.
The milfoil spraying raised some serious hell with the white perch spawn. The states biologist and Fish and Game are well aware but aren't saying much...just ask them when you see one.

Ask any fishermen who caught and kept salmon last year how much white perch fry they encountered when cleaning their salmon...hardly any will most likely be the answer! At least that's what I and everyone I spoke to found. The areas that were sprayed are / were excellent white perch habitat and that's why I believe it affected them the most.

While I agree milfoil is a big issue The long term eco effects of spraying far outweigh the benefits in my opinion. There just has to be another way...what that is I do not know...

Dan
JakeLake (04-01-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2015, 11:40 AM   #6
JakeLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
"There just has to be another way...what that is I do not know..."

Dan
Once I graduate I'll hopefully be able to figure it out . There are little insects in the beetle family called "Weevils" that have had varied success in combating Mill-foil. That being said, It's very rare for a foreign species to take out an invasive species without further complication and elevation to the problem. Any move has to be well calculated. Fortunately (for us) Winni is not the only lake that is dealing with this problem.. research is being accumulated nationwide.

Again, it could be worse. We're worried about vegetation, It could be a Snakehead fish. In two years a single female can produce 150,000 eggs. That would be a disaster and really the end of Winni as we knew it..
The Following User Says Thank You to JakeLake For This Useful Post:
dave603 (04-01-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 11:42 AM   #7
MGWillia

Default So there ARE Muscles in the lake..

I never remember seeing them when I was a kid (may have been here). But this summer we were at the West Alton Sandbar area. I noticed a bunch of shells down there and I thought maybe someone had had a clam lunch there while anchored. hhmm
MGWillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:48 PM   #8
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
While I agree milfoil is a big issue The long term eco effects of spraying far outweigh the benefits in my opinion. There just has to be another way...what that is I do not know...

Dan
What that is Dan is what my sisters are doing at a little lake (Baboosic) in S NH.They are carefully pulling each plant by hand.They have areas that are monitored on a regular basis and painstackingly "weeded".Lots of hands on work.We'll see how effective this is.
JakeLake (04-01-2015), Rattlesnake Gal (04-02-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 12:52 PM   #9
Marauder

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredith weekender View Post
We are in Meredith Bay also and have noticed the complete loss of crayfish!!
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:58 PM   #10
Onshore

I forwarded this thread to the Exotic Species Coordinator here at DES and she requested that I post the following message:

Anyone who’d like to have a specimen from the lake identified for verification of whether or not it is native or invasive can simply take a digital picture of it with a camera or cell phone and email it to me at Amy.Smagula@des.nh.gov. I will reply back with an identification, and if it’s invasive I’ll follow up on location information/etc.

Amy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Amy P. Smagula
Limnologist/Exotic Species Program Coordinator
NH DES
29 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03301
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Onshore For This Useful Post:
Crusty (04-01-2015), JakeLake (04-01-2015), jeffatsquam (04-01-2015), Jersey Ed (04-01-2015), KeepItSimple (04-06-2015), Leoskeys (04-04-2015), LIforrelaxin (04-01-2015), Marauder (04-02-2015), pcmc (04-04-2015), Rattlesnake Gal (04-02-2015), secondcurve (04-01-2015), Senter Cove Guy (04-01-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #11
JakeLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
What that is Dan is what my sisters are doing at a little lake (Baboosic) in S NH.They are carefully pulling each plant by hand.They have areas that are monitored on a regular basis and painstackingly "weeded".Lots of hands on work.We'll see how effective this is.
Although what Your sisters are doing on Baboosic is admirable and effective, I can't imagine this method being practical on Winni. I did a quick rough calculation... (I'm no accountant so If I embarrassed myself here I'll play it off like an April fools joke )

... Baboosic is 4 miles around, Winni is 180. If Your 2 sisters are working alone, you would need 90 workers to cover the same distance on Winni. This would require boats, scuba gear, insurance.. the whole 9. If these 90 workers made the average NH salary this would amount to $5.1 Million combined a year.. Not factoring in equipment, Insurance, and what I'm sure is an incredibly expensive disposal operation.

I think the most practical solution is to stop the entry of Invasive species by having mandatory inspections before placing a craft in the water. I know this isn't the most desirable Idea, but if it can prolong the life of the lake its worth it. Once the bleeding is cut off we can switch the focus to removing these invasive's.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:39 PM   #12
radioman

Default Invasive Species

For the past 4 years I have worked for the NH Lakes Assoc. as part of the Lake Host Program. We are the people who can be found at most major ramps in the state inspecting boats and trailers for evidence of nuisance aquatic species passing from one body of water to another. As of November of 2014 there have not been any confirmed cases of either Zebra Mussels, Quagga Mussels or Asian Clams in either Winni or Winnisquam. They are however, not very far away!

New Hampshire Lakes has a very well done and up to date brochure covering this subject in much depth. The brochure is available at both Meredith Marine and at Shep Browns or if you wish give me a call at 603-279-0918
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to radioman For This Useful Post:
dave603 (04-01-2015), ishoot308 (04-01-2015), Leoskeys (04-04-2015), pcmc (04-04-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 02:41 PM   #13
Dave R

I find it odd that the NH Fish and Game stocks our lakes and rivers with rainbow and brown trout. Both could be considered invasive here as they are not native to our waters.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:03 PM   #14
JakeLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I find it odd that the NH Fish and Game stocks our lakes and rivers with rainbow and brown trout. Both could be considered invasive here as they are not native to our waters.
"An invasive species is defined legally in the USA as “An alien species whose introduction does or is likely to cause economic or environmental harm or harm to human health…‘Alien species’ means, with respect to a particular ecosystem, any species…that is not native to that ecosystem.” - Encyclopedia Of Life

Alien*, Not invasive. It's not the trout that are the problem, they're not going to ruin the eco system like many other foreign organisms would.
Dave R (04-01-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 04:56 PM   #15
Lakegeezer

The mussels and freshwater clams help clean the bottom and may be more of a clean water indicator than a problem. When the muck gets too thick, they disappear, unable to keep up with their janitorial duties.

Zebra mussels are a big threat, but so far the water chemistry of Winnipesaukee has kept them away. From what I remember of a water quality class, Winnipesaukee is more acidic than Lake Champlain, and doesn't allow the shell of calcium to grow on the Zebras. The threat is that they mutate and adapt to our waters.

Milfoil is indeed a scourge. Moultonborough allocates about $200,000 per year for removal. Residents are encouraged to send reports of milfoil to weedwatchers.moultonborough@gmail.com so that removal can be scheduled. Most is done with diver assisted suction harvester. In 2014, over 10,000 gallons of milfoil were removed from Moultonborough's waters.

There is a lot of concern about the impact of the milfoil chemical treatment, but not all is warranted. Chemicals are not used during the spawning period of the protected bridal shiner, because it kills the weeds that are used to hide the nests from predators. Impact on white perch would be news to me, but perhaps a similar scenario applies.

The chemicals are not the preferred method, but when faced with acres of milfoil to remove, it is cost effective.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:05 PM   #16
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Dave:

These are gamefish that can't reproduce in most areas that they are stocked. Further, they don't tend to cause significant change to other species. Therefore, I don't consider them "invasive". If the stocking programs were stopped these fish would quickly fade away. Zebra Mussels and Milfoil on the other hand are near impossible to eliminate once introduced.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Dave R (04-01-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #17
JakeLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
"Moultonborough allocates about $200,000 per year for removal."
200,000 a year equates to roughly $49.45 a citizen. I find that fascinating. It's not a Moultonborough problem, It's a threat to every property and business owner on the lake. I'm struggling to find a government estimate on how much Milfoil there is in the lake and what the rate of growth is estimated to be in the coming years.. perhaps someone could point me towards that information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
There is a lot of concern about the impact of the milfoil chemical treatment, but not all is warranted. Chemicals are not used during the spawning period of the protected bridal shiner, because it kills the weeds that are used to hide the nests from predators. Impact on white perch would be news to me, but perhaps a similar scenario applies.
I have to respectfully disagree with that statement. The unknowns of the chemical composition and long term effects it has on the wildlife is enough to warrant a multitude of concern. This chemical mixture is not a free thinking substance that only targets Milfoil, it effects all vegetation in its path. This effected vegetation then gets consumed by low level organisms and travels up the food chain.. eventually bioaccumulating through each level until it reaches top predators around the lake (Eagles, Bear, Fisher cats, etc.). There is good reason drinking water can not be consumed up to two weeks after bodies of freshwater have received chemical treatment in the fight against Milfoil.. That water contains abnormal levels of a strong toxin detrimental to human health. Historically, chemicals have only been used to target a concentrated population of Milfoil inhabiting a cove.. It is not a viable option of control once the vegetation has spread.

I believe an in-depth government assessment is past due.. unless one already exist.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:28 PM   #18
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I look at it this way. This problem isn't going to solve itself, and having read a little bit about the treatment used, it's specifically targeting the milfoil plant. To do nothing to control it's growth and spread will do significant damage to the lake and it's native species of plants and fish. Now the chemical treatment may have some side affects as well, but the treatments have been pretty well studied and I think that if used prudently any side affects will be minimized. I'd much rather see it controlled than not, and I have to believe that the NH DES has done extensive study and research that indicates it's occasional use where infestations are present is the best option at this time. While it may seem awful to dump a chemical into the water to kill this stuff, it may not be as bad as you think. Better yet - think of it this way, there are side affects to taking say Advil for a little pain relief. Does that stop you if you really need it?
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:15 PM   #19
JakeLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I look at it this way. This problem isn't going to solve itself, and having read a little bit about the treatment used, it's specifically targeting the milfoil plant. To do nothing to control it's growth and spread will do significant damage to the lake and it's native species of plants and fish. Now the chemical treatment may have some side affects as well, but the treatments have been pretty well studied and I think that if used prudently any side affects will be minimized. I'd much rather see it controlled than not, and I have to believe that the NH DES has done extensive study and research that indicates it's occasional use where infestations are present is the best option at this time. While it may seem awful to dump a chemical into the water to kill this stuff, it may not be as bad as you think. Better yet - think of it this way, there are side affects to taking say Advil for a little pain relief. Does that stop you if you really need it?
Well, Advil is not a substance created to eradicate a living organism so I don't think thats a fair connection to draw. Orange juice, although I enjoy it, causes discomfort because I have acid reflex.. but those side effects can't be compared to herbicide either. Can you name what chemical your specifically speaking of?.. I've seen multiple chemicals used in different situations and all seem to have their detrimental side effects. I didn't suggest that we do nothing, I think it needs to be removed by hand. Chemicals didn't bring the Milfoil to the lake, It was humans who brought it to the lake and it needs to be humans who remove it from the lake. This long term investment may take time and be expensive but recklessly killing vegitation and poisoning the food chain at its lowest level could prove to be much more costly in the long run. The Lakeport Dam was built 69 years ago, since then we've put a man on the moon and learned how to harness power from the sun.. I'm sure we could find a way to remove vegetation from a lake.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:39 AM   #20
SAB1

Hey I hate milfoil too. Gets stuck on my fishing line! Cost benefits to everything...who puts chemicals on their lawns to kill weeds.....Because we all don't have time to hand pull weeds........not that you would ever get them all out of the lawn anyway. And not to digress but.......all those lush looking lawns at water edge, you know the fertilizer is getting to the lake and weeds love that.......
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:01 PM   #21
MAXUM

Quote:
Well, Advil is not a substance created to eradicate a living organism so I don't think thats a fair connection to draw. Orange juice, although I enjoy it, causes discomfort because I have acid reflex.. but those side effects can't be compared to herbicide either. Can you name what chemical your specifically speaking of?.. I've seen multiple chemicals used in different situations and all seem to have their detrimental side effects. I didn't suggest that we do nothing, I think it needs to be removed by hand. Chemicals didn't bring the Milfoil to the lake, It was humans who brought it to the lake and it needs to be humans who remove it from the lake. This long term investment may take time and be expensive but recklessly killing vegitation and poisoning the food chain at its lowest level could prove to be much more costly in the long run. The Lakeport Dam was built 69 years ago, since then we've put a man on the moon and learned how to harness power from the sun.. I'm sure we could find a way to remove vegetation from a lake.
I believe this is what NH uses:

Two formulations of 2,4-D approved for aquatic use. The granular formulation contains the low-volatile butoxy-ethyl-ester formulation of 2,4-D (Trade names include AquaKleen® and Navigate®). The liquid formulation contains the dimethylamine salt of 2,4-D (Trade names include DMA*4IVM). 2,4-D is a relatively fast-acting, systemic, selective herbicide used for the control of Eurasian watermilfoil and other broad-leaved species. Both the granular and liquid formulations can be effective for spot treatment of Eurasian watermilfoil. 2,4-D has been shown to be selective to Eurasian watermilfoil when used at the labeled rate, leaving native aquatic species relatively unaffected.

Aside from chemical treatment, there have been natural predators used to control it with varying success, however the introduction of natural predators and the effects are still being studied. Clearly this is better than chemicals unless the predators do more harm than good....

Natural predators of the eurasian milfoil can be introduced into contaminated areas. These species thrive on destroying the weed, but do not affect the ecological environment of the native species. For example, in Brownington Pond (VT) the weevil, an herbivoric insect that eats milfoil (Euhrychiopsis Lecontei) was introduced and was extremely effective in ridding the pond of the milfoil (EPA 1997). The weevil is also being used all over New England as well as many other states (Minnesota Pollution 1998). It has been found more effective in cold weather climates; in warmer climates, such as Florida and California, the weevil has been found to only work with only about 50% success (University of Florida 1997). Besides the weevil there are two other natural predators of the milfoil being used: the Acentria Ephemerella, (a native moth who feeds on the milfoil, while at the same time hiding in its leaves), and a caterpillar who likes to eat milfoil called Cricotopus Myriophylli (University of Florida 1997). Connecticut is also experimenting with the grass carp (Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection 1998).

I'm no expert on the subject this information was grabbed off the web so I can't comment on anything other than what it illustrates at face value.
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
JakeLake (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 11:08 PM   #22
JakeLake

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I believe this is what NH uses:

Two formulations of 2,4-D approved for aquatic use. The granular formulation contains the low-volatile butoxy-ethyl-ester formulation of 2,4-D (Trade names include AquaKleen® and Navigate®). The liquid formulation contains the dimethylamine salt of 2,4-D (Trade names include DMA*4IVM). 2,4-D is a relatively fast-acting, systemic, selective herbicide used for the control of Eurasian watermilfoil and other broad-leaved species. Both the granular and liquid formulations can be effective for spot treatment of Eurasian watermilfoil. 2,4-D has been shown to be selective to Eurasian watermilfoil when used at the labeled rate, leaving native aquatic species relatively unaffected.

Aside from chemical treatment, there have been natural predators used to control it with varying success, however the introduction of natural predators and the effects are still being studied. Clearly this is better than chemicals unless the predators do more harm than good....

I'm no expert on the subject this information was grabbed off the web so I can't comment on anything other than what it illustrates at face value.
I'm not some crazy tree hugger who spends his days on a soapbox, but after learning about DDT I tend to be skeptical when chemical's are deployed in the environment. I just finished reading the 41 page Tuftonboro report on Milfoil management. Aside from that I spent a little over an hour researching the main chemical "2,4-D".
- Link http://www.tuftonboro.org/Pages/Tuft...oards/ltmmplan -

My findings were that "2,4-D" is very effective, is inexpensive, and virtually eliminated the Milfoil where it was applied. This being said, there was one alarming element of the report that wasn't consistent and turned out to be contrary to scientific research..

"The Fish and Game Department suggests that herbicidal milfoil treatments should not be permitted within 100 meters of any nests. The method of application, by motorboat and/or airboat, may result in nest abandonment and loss of eggs and/or loon chicks, as well as herbicide damage to the floating aquatic plants. (Page 12)"

"To the extent feasible, the permitting authority favors the use of selective herbicides that, where used appropriately, will control the target plant with little or no impact to non-target species, such that the ecological functions of native plants for habitat, lake ecology, and chemistry/biology will be maintained. Not all aquatic plants will be impacted as a result of an herbicide treatment. (Page 20)"
...So it will have little to no impact to non-target species, but not all aquatic plants will be impacted as a result of the herbicide treatment, while at the same time it can't be sprayed near a loon's nest because there may be herbicide damage to floating aquatic plants?

Hmm, well I found this in a report.. "Effects on birds: 2,4-D is slightly toxic to wildfowl and slightly to moderately toxic to birds. The LD50 is 1000 mg/kg in mallards, 272 mg/kg in pheasants, and 668 mg/kg in quail and pigeons [5-7]." The source isn't some environmental obsessed group, its "A Pesticide Information Project of Cooperative Extension Offices of Cornell University, Oregon State University, the University of Idaho, and the University of California at Davis and the Institute for Environmental Toxicology, Michigan State University. Major support and funding was provided by the USDA/Extension Service/National Agricultural Pesticide Impact Assessment Program."
- Link: http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/24-D.htm -

Well thats interesting.. I guess we're suppose to just "Drink the Kool aid" and hope none of the birds do..
Old 04-03-2015, 05:51 AM   #23
SAB1

I suspect if they are using 2 4 D to control the milfoil they would be using it in a pelletized form that would sink to the bottom and attack the roots of the plant. Spraying would seem to be applied to floating weeds.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:51 AM   #24
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts

Meredith Weekender-sounds like you should take pictures of those mussels you see around your doc and send them to Amy at DES this Spring.

Radioman-is there a version of the invasives brochure you can post on the Forum?
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:22 AM   #25
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Some people call what we always called clams, muscles. Is this something different?

I know the milfoil is a problem but I have mixed feelings about this chemical treatment. Like everything else, they change their minds about what is safe and what isn't. I remember discussions with others who were worried about how this is connected with Agent Orange and that certainly wasn't safe. The 2 4 D is either in Agent Orange or Agent Orange has an ingredient that this also has.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
JakeLake (04-04-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 11:15 AM   #26
JakeLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Some people call what we always called clams, muscles. Is this something different?

I know the milfoil is a problem but I have mixed feelings about this chemical treatment. Like everything else, they change their minds about what is safe and what isn't. I remember discussions with others who were worried about how this is connected with Agent Orange and that certainly wasn't safe. The 2 4 D is either in Agent Orange or Agent Orange has an ingredient that this also has.
It was an active ingredient in agent orange, but it was not the chemical that made it such a terrible thing. The lake report has lied about the toxicity to birds and other wildlife.. it is undeniable that it will harm the birds of the lake.. Including the loons and eagles.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:19 PM   #27
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Don't say that Jake! I hope not!!
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:22 PM   #28
Misty Blue

Default Milfoil in Moultonborough

Jakelake:

It is obvious that you have done a lot of research on the subject of milfoil and I wish you well in your studies.

I am proud to say that I am a member of the Moultonborough Milfoil Committee. I can assure you this, the members of the committee are some of the most dedicated environmentalists that I have ever had the pleasure to work and live with.

Without pay we have spent countless hours dealing with a great problem that has appeared on our Lake. The committee works very closely with the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Service. My point is that the program is not some half baked scheme but rather a very detailed plan known as the "Long Term Milfoil Management Plan". The plan was written by DES.

There are four options available once a milfoil situation has developed:
Eradication, Maintenance, Containment and No action.

Eradication: This could use any combination of the following.

Hand pulling. This is the least wanted method as if not done correctly the plants will break up and spread the problem greatly. It takes trained divers to identify and skillfully pull the plants without making the situation much worse.

Chemical treatments:

This uses herbicides such as 2,4-D to kill the plants in place. This is usually done where infestations are severe and localized. These chemicals are applied by licensed personnel and as directed (when, where, how much) by NH DES. These chemicals are well known and highly effective and well regulated.

The method used depends on the situation but may be treating chemically, then going back with a Diver Assisted Suction Harvester (DASH) team to get the roots and then monitoring.

Maintenance:

Once an are has been cleared it is checked for regrowth.

Containment:

An infested area may have barriers put up to stop the plants from leaving an area via a stream, or some other outlet.

Or No Action:

The problem will just continue to grow.

I suggest that you check out the Moultonborough Milfoil plan. I think that it can be accessed on the town website.

In ending. This is a huge problem that will not go away by itself. It will take active husbandry and commitment to save our Lake. Every option must be used when appropriate.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Misty Blue For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (04-05-2015), ITD (04-04-2015), Lakegeezer (04-05-2015), Orion (04-05-2015), pcmc (04-04-2015), rander7823 (04-06-2015), SAB1 (04-04-2015), secondcurve (04-04-2015), Sue Doe-Nym (04-05-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 02:05 PM   #29
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
Jakelake:

It is obvious that you have done a lot of research on the subject of milfoil and I wish you well in your studies.

I am proud to say that I am a member of the Moultonborough Milfoil Committee. I can assure you this, the members of the committee are some of the most dedicated environmentalists that I have ever had the pleasure to work and live with.

Without pay we have spent countless hours dealing with a great problem that has appeared on our Lake. The committee works very closely with the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Service. My point is that the program is not some half baked scheme but rather a very detailed plan known as the "Long Term Milfoil Management Plan". The plan was written by DES.

There are four options available once a milfoil situation has developed:
Eradication, Maintenance, Containment and No action.

Eradication: This could use any combination of the following.

Hand pulling. This is the least wanted method as if not done correctly the plants will break up and spread the problem greatly. It takes trained divers to identify and skillfully pull the plants without making the situation much worse.

Chemical treatments:

This uses herbicides such as 2,4-D to kill the plants in place. This is usually done where infestations are severe and localized. These chemicals are applied by licensed personnel and as directed (when, where, how much) by NH DES. These chemicals are well known and highly effective and well regulated.

The method used depends on the situation but may be treating chemically, then going back with a Diver Assisted Suction Harvester (DASH) team to get the roots and then monitoring.

Maintenance:

Once an are has been cleared it is checked for regrowth.

Containment:

An infested area may have barriers put up to stop the plants from leaving an area via a stream, or some other outlet.

Or No Action:

The problem will just continue to grow.

I suggest that you check out the Moultonborough Milfoil plan. I think that it can be accessed on the town website.

In ending. This is a huge problem that will not go away by itself. It will take active husbandry and commitment to save our Lake. Every option must be used when appropriate.

Misty Blue
It's a bit irresponsible to suggest that the NH DES, the various towns, UNH (who I know have been actively studying the milfoil problem among other things), the NH Lakes Association and probably a bunch of environmental groups all have it wrong and are hap haphazardly dumping milfoil treatments into the lake. As you can see by Misty Blue's posting (Thank you) this is taken very seriously and if not for the dedication and hard work of many people some listed above the problem may exist but is actively being contained the best way possible. Also not to be forgotten the lake hosts who are posted at all the boat ramps inspecting boats going in and out of the lake looking to stop the spread of milfoil, along with the educational literature that is handed out. All these people deserve our thanks for the tireless efforts that are made to keep area lakes from further infestations and overall deterioration. Especially the folks at the ramps inspecting boats. I'm sure if there was an alternative it would be used and maybe one day there will be.

Now I'm no tree hugger either and while there may be a 1/1000 chance an application of chemical may affect some water foul or fish, I'll take those odds considering the overall effectiveness of the chemical treatment. That's reality, not kool aid!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Jersey Ed (04-04-2015), Leoskeys (04-04-2015), secondcurve (04-04-2015), Sue Doe-Nym (04-05-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 05:51 PM   #30
JakeLake

I'm sorry my quotation of scientific research has allowed you to think I don't appreciate the work of all who have dedicated their time towards combating invasive species. If you read both documents I linked perhaps you would understand that what I said was there is a discrepancy between what the Toftonboro report says, and what other scientist say, about what the effects of "2,4-D" are on wildlife. I am not sure where your "1/1000" odds came from, I did not come across those numbers in my research.. perhaps you could site them for me. I am yet to read the Moultonborough report which I will do so now, but I was speaking on the tuftonboro report..

- Thank You
Old 04-04-2015, 08:20 PM   #31
meredith weekender

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post

Tis, I would be willing to put money on the fact that what we have in Meredith Bay are mussels and not clams. Could be wrong but I seriously doubt it. When things warm up we will get some good pics and send them to Amy over at the DES.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meredith weekender For This Useful Post:
JakeLake (04-04-2015), tis (04-05-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 09:34 PM   #32
Leoskeys

We live in Minge Cove in West Alton and Just got a letter stating they may chemically treat our cove and many other Alton coves as early as late June. We've seen Loons in our Cove and hope the treatment is avoidable.
Leoskeys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leoskeys For This Useful Post:
JakeLake (04-04-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 10:54 PM   #33
JakeLake

If you can find the time, please read http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/24-D.htm ...

Wouldn't want that in my water
Old 04-05-2015, 08:25 AM   #34
MAXUM

Quote:
If you can find the time, please read http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/24-D.htm ...

Wouldn't want that in my water

I did and first off that article you presented is outdated. More importantly did you happen to see the disclaimer at the bottom:

DISCLAIMER: The information in this profile does not in any way replace or supersede the information on the pesticide product labeling or other regulatory requirements. Please refer to the pesticide product labeling.

In case you weren't aware 2,4 D is a commonly used chemical for treating weeds. You know those bottles of weed-b-gone, weed control fertilizer etc.. most notable it's used on just about every farm across the US for weed control so guess what it's probably in or on your food and no doubt in your drinking water, yes even in that so called safe bottled water so look out you may grow 4 arms, three legs and glow in the dark and die some miserable death.

OK back to reality.

The fact is the chemical itself is toxic, DUH that's the point! What FORMULATION is used, what media is used, liquid or pellet, and at what CONCENTRATIONS it's applied makes all the difference as to how TOXIC it is to various animals, plants and fish. However make no mistake about it the idea here is to apply it at levels toxic to Milfoil. What that specific concentration and formulation is I have no idea and really don't care. It's being applied for a reason, it's been studied, it's been used for quite some time, it works and with minimal and acceptable side affects. Thankfully those that are making the decisions to use this stuff don't fall prey to inaction because there may be a remote chance when the planets align, the temperature is 65.7 degrees, the sun is out and a fish farts all at the same time something bad may happen. Really? Inaction for sure guarantees something bad will happen.

As for the loons, you can kiss them goodbye if your cove gets all choked up with milfoil. Better to have it treated and maintained than for it to turn into a swamp full of weeds.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
rander7823 (04-06-2015), SAB1 (04-05-2015), secondcurve (04-05-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 10:23 AM   #35
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default herbicide permits

Thanks to Misty Blue for a great post. I would add that the application of herbicides is not just a DES function. DES develops management plans for all the infested lakes and water bodies. When it is time, in the plan, to apply herbicides, there is an application process that involves local organizations, the professional application company, DES, Fish and Game and the Department of Agriculture. The permit includes specific dates, locations, size of the treatment area and related, specific, restrictions. Although there have been many studies over the years showing that herbicides can be used safely, not all permits are approved. One example that comes to mind is a request for herbicide treatment at Spinnaker Cove some years ago. It was denied due to the proximity to the Laconia Water Co. intake. Note that some matching funds come from your boat registration fees. The other part of the match comes from towns, lake associations and related groups. Before they spend their money, these groups, which include F & G , loon and water quality interests, etc. all have to agree that they want to move forward.
We have come a long way from 30 years ago when we used mowers to harvest (and break up) milfoil, to 20 years ago when the plan was to simply chemically treat every three years, to the current use of combined attacks, starting with Lake Hosts, using barriers, DASH, and quick response teams for new infestations and very selective use of herbicides.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:56 AM   #36
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver1111 View Post
Meredith Weekender-sounds like you should take pictures of those mussels you see around your doc and send them to Amy at DES this Spring.

Radioman-is there a version of the invasives brochure you can post on the Forum?
There have been mussels ( I think they are mussels) in the lake since the the 1950's. I grew up with them in Green's Basin.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (04-05-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 12:19 PM   #37
radioman

Default Invasive species brochure

Diver, no not that I am aware of, I thought that NH Lakes might have it on their Web Site but I checked and no luck. If you PM me your address I will mail you one directly.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:19 AM   #38
Onshore

Default Identification information

Plants...

http://des.nh.gov/organization/commi...l_fourteen.pdf

Mussels...

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Wild...me/Mussels.htm

D. Forst
DES Land Resource Management
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onshore For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (04-06-2015), secondcurve (04-06-2015)