Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2008, 04:49 PM   #1
BlackCatIslander

Default The North End Restaurant

I was driving by this morning and thought that we should be hearing something very soon about an opening. I am looking forward to trying it out. Has anyone heard anything about an opening?
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
Smitty1

They are open daily at 4pm May-October

Just had dinner there. Everything was very good. Large portions. Nothing over $16.

I think this is another winner for Scott!

Smitty
Smitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #3
phoenix

we went for dinner tonight and food was great. We got there at 5:30 and it was crowded at that time and only got more crowded as the night went on .
Scott was there and I think this will be another big success and remember very few people know it is open yet
Old 06-15-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
arthurc

We went last nite about 5:45 and it had plenty of room but it sure filled up rapidly. Food was excellent as well s service. When we left the dining room was full and the bar area was full also. Looks like another winner.
arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
Alton Bay

Default ?????

Where is this restaurant??
Alton Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #6
phoenix

on RT25 between moultonboro neck road and the center of Moultonboro
Old 06-16-2008, 04:51 AM   #7
twoplustwo

Default ditto Phoenix

It's right next door to the Moultonborough Central School.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #8
Lakegeezer

Default rating a C to C+

With there with my wife tonight and found the North End OK, but with plenty of room for improvement. First of all, our waiter told us twice that he would be "right with us", but it was an uncomfortably long time with the menu. The wine situation is great. We ordered 1/2 carafe of the house wine for $12 and it was very good. The salads included with our dinner came right after the wine. I was taught by a French co-worker, many years ago, that you never go from a vinegar based salad dressing to a sip of wine. You always eat bread in between to cut the vinegar taste. The French know these things. We had been served no bread. When I asked for some, we were told it was $3 bucks, to keep the prices down. They don't serve just bread, but a basket of six rolls pre-dipped in oil and covered with garlic. Good, but a bit of a grease bomb. I'd rather pay a buck and get plain bread to eat with my salad and wine, but that was not an option. Then came the meals. My wife had the eggplant parm. It was pretty good, but the fry fat wasn't quite hot enough and the eggplant had absorbed a bit too much grease. I had the chicken piccatta. The chicken was cooked well but the piccatta sauce seemed like it had been thickened with flour or corn starch rather than a proper reduction. The spaghetti sauce is very good, but the pasta was overcooked and waterlogged. The facility has always had a problem with noise bouncing off the walls rather than being absorbed. It’s a bit better than I remember, but still a lot of echo. Dinner for two with ½ carafe was about $40. The prices on the menu are good and there are other things to try. I’ll try The North End again, but after they have a bit more time to tweak things.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
jacka82942

Unhappy dinner review

ate there last night.Got impression that thet're already trying to "cheap out".
Crummy little paper menus,no bread(you can pay $3 for bread braids which were really oily and chewy),veal parmesan was veal slices,not medallions and were hard to cut and grisly(if i can't cut veal with my fork,forget it),little tiny water glasses for your wine.Maybe in the "north End" of Boston somewhere they do it this way,but not in any of the north end restaurants i've ever been to.
On a positive note,the Portuguese mussels were as good as any i've ever had and the house salad was good.
jacka82942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:31 PM   #10
canoe

sorry you feel that we are trying to cheap out. anyone that knows us, knows we never cheap out. I would gladly use leather bound menu holders, give all the bread any can eat, larger portions, expensive wines and wine glasses etc, etc, say goodbye to the menu prices and trying to keep everything under 16.00. 85% of the meals are under 12.00, say goodbye to those.

I opted to use paper menu's, i could have used paper napkins too. i wanted to give our guest the option on the bread, and a little bit smaller portion to keep the prices down. as for the wine glasses, anyone who has grandparents who are italian or travel to Italy will agree this is what the people use at their home, not all, but some. i was trying to have a little fun. I thought that might be a good idea to give people a choice and with the economy the way it is, keep the prices down. their are options for nicer wine glasses and menu's-try canoe or O steaks.

I am glad that you did enjoy the mussels and the salad, we have alot of new, interesting and great menu items.
canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:07 PM   #11
southy

Default The North End

First of all, I would like to address a few things. First to the "lakegeezer" a french friend told you not to have a sip of wine after a bite of salad with vinager? So why did you? If you hang on every lasting word this french guy says. If you knew that, why didn't you order a caesar salad or a salad with a non-vinager based dressing. Sounds like you need to stick to french food with your buddy. Secondly to "jacka82942" **** I think that the North End restaurant owners wanted to give the lakes region a little diversity and change things up a bit. I have eatin there twice now, and everything has been great. Seems like the chef is trying to bring back some old school rustic italian food from the old country. Take a trip to northern Italy, and I think you would be very surprised. **** The prices and atmosphere at TNE are different and great, especially for families vacationing in the area and don't want to spend a fortune to bring there family out. Gas prices are high enouph, **** these great menu prices are gonna go higher. ****
southy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:45 PM   #12
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by southy View Post
First of all, I would like to address a few things. First to the "lakegeezer" a french friend told you not to have a sip of wine after a bite of salad with vinager? So why did you? If you hang on every lasting word this french guy says. If you knew that, why didn't you order a caesar salad or a salad with a non-vinager based dressing. Sounds like you need to stick to french food with your buddy.
Even in northern Italy, it is rare to not to be served bread with your wine. At TNE, I was surprised none was served when our wine came and asked for bread, not knowing that ordering the $3 oil&garlic rolls from the menu was my only option. I like italian dressing, along with my bread and wine. Is that so unusual? I suspect the french custom of clearing the tongue before sipping wine is universal, as long as the wine is good. TNE house wine is very good, so why not tone down the vinegar before sipping? I don't hang on their every word a frenchman says, unless its about wine. Then I'll take a frenchman's advice over a californian any day. By the way, the wine glasses are just fine.

Like others, I hope TNE makes it. It is a good alternative to Buckey's and the Village Kitchen.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:55 AM   #13
phoenix

Scott of course everyone is entitled to their opinions but I would stay the course you are on as I drive by every night and your parking lot is full just like the Canoe lot. Like all new restaurants it takes time to get the staff and menu sized to demand but this is a great addition to Moultonboro. By the way I liked the wine glasses as it made me think of growing up in and going to friends houses for dinner --Ciao
Old 06-22-2008, 01:53 PM   #14
Cristen

Thumbs up The North End Restaurant

Had dinner there during bike week. The food was very good and reasonably priced too. Give it a try, I think you will be pleased.

Last edited by Cristen; 06-23-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Cristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:59 AM   #15
twoplustwo

Thumbs up yum

Took the family there Sunday and we all enjoyed it. My husband had the veal marsala and said his veal was quite tender, I had the chicken and broccoli alfredo (delicious, but blows the diet, for sure!), my teenager had the pork osso busco which she raved over, and my little one opted for a burger which I was delighted to see on the menu since she's the pickiest eater on the planet. Everyone ate well, and my oldest and I had leftovers to take home. We started with the braids, some calamari and fried mozzarella. Yeah, they cause some finger licking, but we loved the braids - they reminded me of Philly soft pretzels and had just the right amount of parmesan on them and were even better dipped in the marinara that came with the fried mozzarella. We managed to squeeze down dessert and left there quite satisfied with a very reasonable bill. If paper menus are your biggest worry in life, consider yourself lucky. We enjoyed ourself and our food and will certainly be back.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #16
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoe View Post
sorry you feel that we are trying to cheap out. anyone that knows us, knows we never cheap out. I would gladly use leather bound menu holders, give all the bread any can eat, larger portions, expensive wines and wine glasses etc, etc, say goodbye to the menu prices and trying to keep everything under 16.00. 85% of the meals are under 12.00, say goodbye to those.

I opted to use paper menu's, i could have used paper napkins too. i wanted to give our guest the option on the bread, and a little bit smaller portion to keep the prices down. as for the wine glasses, anyone who has grandparents who are italian or travel to Italy will agree this is what the people use at their home, not all, but some. i was trying to have a little fun. I thought that might be a good idea to give people a choice and with the economy the way it is, keep the prices down. their are options for nicer wine glasses and menu's-try canoe or O steaks.

I am glad that you did enjoy the mussels and the salad, we have alot of new, interesting and great menu items.
Scott,

Thanks for the great new choice we have- I ate at TNE during bike week and saw you patrolling the restaurant. You obviously know how to have fun with food. I thought the food was great. I was riding, so no wine. I understand your point about the glasses- I really do (my old school Italian buddies make their own and that's how they drink it too), but I guess I am a wine glass snob and like a big cab glass! As far as the bread goes (another weakness of mine), I would love an option of buying a nice warm loaf of airy Italian bread. The knots are good, but a little heavy for me.

That being said, the food was great, as was the service. I wish you the best.

VB
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #17
BlackCatIslander

Default Last night

My wife and I ate at the TNE last night and we both had veal parm with pasta. We enjoyed the meal and found the dining room pleasantly decorated. The prices are attracting a lot of families with children. I think that they are going to be a big success with those who want a decent meal at a reasonable price. We found the menu somewhat limited and hope that Scott adds some specials to the selection.
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:25 AM   #18
jniff101

I think I would have to agree with southy on this one. I have visted TNE and I loved it. Everyone that has had the veal or chicken from there has loved it so in my opinion, who cares if it came off the truck "breaded" or whatever else is the issue. I say if the food is still good and the prices stay down then more power to you. Just because it comes frozen doesn't mean its a bad product. I think Scott is doing an excellent job!!!
If I could ask one question it would be, why only 3 choices of salad dressing? I love the creamy dressing that go right to your butt and hips I don't know much about italian food so maybe that's traditional in most italian restaurants.(I ended up having the italian and it was just fine)
jniff101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:56 PM   #19
RI Swamp Yankee

Default Northend of Boston

What is the big deal about the northend of Boston? My wife's aunt wasn't impressed with it ... but what does she know, ... she was born and raised in Italy. ( And wow, she is agreat cook too.)
Old 07-06-2008, 02:58 PM   #20
boywonder

Default north end

I went to the North End Restaurant on 7/5/08 and I was not impressed at all !! I had no issues with the paper menues or OJ wine glasses at all in fact I thought it was a nice touch. The part I did like was the Squid (calamari) was to die for , but the rest of my meal was just POOR ! My Table had veal picata, veal marsala, veal (mama), chicken parm., The portions were OK, but the quality was less than fast food chain italian if ther is such a thing, The garlic knots reminded me of pizza huts bread sticks, just being baked hard dough with garlic and chesse sprinkled on top!
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:16 PM   #21
Gatto Nero

Default Mixed bag

Went the TNE last night. There were 4 in our party. I would go back again but my first experience was a mixed bag. I had no problem with the OJ glasses or the paper menus. They are not trying to be a fancy place so they shouldn't be judged as if they are. The prices were good and overall the food was OK. I wasn't crazy about the Garlic knots. I thought they were a little greasy, but that is just a preference thing because my kids loved them. The calamari was great. I think we had the North End version. Of the 4 meals we had at our table 3 were marinara based (veal parm, Egg plant parm and fruit de mare) and all were very good. I had the veal piccata, however, and was not impressed. I'm not sure if they intended to make it the way it came but it was a real thick cream sauce. Nothing like any piccata I have had in the past. I usually love piccata but wouldn't order it again there. I told the waiter but he didn't seem to care, so I didn't pursue it. Scott was roaming around but I didn't bother him with it either. Again, maybe it's just a preference thing. I'm not a big dessert lover but what we ordered (1 cannoli and 1 Tiramisu) were fine. The cappuccino was a bummer though. They don't make it the traditional way. Instead, it was made from a machine and it showed.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #22
rrr

Thumbs up

On Sunday we found ourselves in the neighborhood looking for a place to eat. It was 4 pm and Canoe and Grill 25 were not yet open. So we decided to try The North End. There were four of us - all hungry. We started with the knots and an order of curly fries. As we placed our order, we decided we would need another order of curly fries - they were good! We were just trying to decide if we needed more knots when our food arrived. The gentlemen both had pasta with sides of meatballs and sausage, there was a warm Italian sub, and a chicken parm dinner. Two in the group have cooked professionally and were anxious to try the sauce which was deemed a tad salty but better than most.

Our waiter was very pleasant, available but not hovering. We saw Scott chatting with other diners.

We talked about all the reviews we've read on the forum - yes the knots are different but we enjoyed them and we did note on the menu that bread is available, the wine glasses are different but the wine tasted the same and upon reflection we could recall being served in similar glasses at grandparents houses, paper menus - not a big deal, etc. All-in-all we were pleased with the food and the service. We will be back.
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 05:14 PM   #23
Lakelady

Thumbs down North End Restaurant

We had played golf on Friday and saw that the North End was opening at 4PM, we decided to try it since the Woodshed and other area restaurants did not open until later. It was 4:15PM. We eat out alot and are from the local area, but I would not go back to the North End ever. Service was good, our server was always available. We had the knots and the garlic/mussels, not much garlic/wine sauce, but good portion of mussels. The knots are delicious but I would prefer bread. Our chianti was good and the glasses (as with previous comment) do need to be upgraded, especially if you order a nice bottle of wine. Our meal was horrible...he had veal parm and I the chicken parm. His veal was so dry and thin that he could hardly cut it with a knife..dry, worse than shoe leather. My chicken was OK, sauce is sweet, and did taste like a jar sauce. We have had these exact same meals at other local restaurants and have decided that the trip to the North End is just not worth it. Too bad as they really do need something up that way. Sorry, but we have heard that it was OK, but we must give it thumbs down.
Lakelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:16 PM   #24
Sal

Four of us ate at TNE Saturday evening. We were told there was a 25 min. wait but then were called in 10 minutes. Halleluiah. (reservations can be had only for parties of 5 or more).
We DID get rolls and butter.
Food was good. Portions quite large. Due to low carb diet, I ordered the smallest side of sausage and a side of meatballs. I got 2 large meatballs and 4 sausages. Coupled with the antipasto, it made a great meal there and a great lunch at home on Sunday.
Wine glases - not an issue. Some people would complain about being hanged with a new rope. Then again, I drink beer from the bottle. What do I know.
It seems to me that being "easy on the eyes" may have been a requirement for (some) staff, in addition to being polite and attentive.
Only gripe ... the pre-existing noise problem. I'm no kid. When the crowd noise-level is high, I find it difficult to focus on individual conversations .. I just hear the dull roar. Strikes me this could be fixed with some
sound-baffling above..
We'll go back.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:42 AM   #25
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Kathy and I stopped in at the the North End last night. We had eaten there before as well. I did go in expecting a place like the village kitchen as far as the budget and menu. But TNE was a step above in presentation to say the least. Last night we once again noticed we got no bread with our meal. I too believe this is pretty much a standard in the industry and it should be served, especially if serving wine. The food was once again fine for us as we realize this is a budget minded place. if we wanted finer cuisine we would have gone to the Canoe. ( We like to sit downstairs as the employees down there seem more friendly...I don't know why...?) Which we also love. I don't mind the paper menu one single bit. I usually know what I want pretty quick anyway. I did not like the garlic bread twist things though. They weren't really that good. Sorry. I'd can those and simply give a roll or two to the table. Now that I know about the twists, I'd rather have the fried mozzerella anyway! Oh yeah...the Terimsu (sp?) was awesome, and our waitress was great. Having a good waitress, as you can tell in a lot of the reviews of other restaurants is paramount to how a place will do. So if ours was any indication, TNE should do well. So all in all we like the place, and I hope it can stay open during the winter. I hate to cook.....

I should mention that I wish someone around here would have a good salad bar. Hint.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:57 AM   #26
phoenix

I think scott plans to close in october and only be available for events in the winter( what he told us when we were in there)
Old 07-26-2008, 08:05 PM   #27
Waterbaby

Default Wine Glasses

OK, PLEASE, enough about "upgrading the wine glasses". I have not had the opportunity to go to TNE yet, but if the wine is good does it REALLY matter what it's served in???? Quite honestly, I find that a bit snobby. I love good wine, but bottom line is the glass does not make a real difference in the flavor of the wine................. and before anyone starts attacking me or my post, I have all of the correct stemware at my home -- red, white, cordial, aperitif, dessert............ and yes, water and juice also. If the wine is good it won't kill anyone to drink it out of a tumbler or whatever for one night.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:52 AM   #28
JG1222

Thumbs up All-Around Great

I'll keep this short and sweet. I had the opportunity to try T.N.E. this weekend (Saturday night) with wife and parents. Absolutely wonderful. Food, service, atmosphere, parking, location, portions, price - everything made for a great night.

Our waitress, Alison, was attentive and knowledgeable about the menu. Not to mention she was genuinely friendly.

Overall a great experience.

PS - enough about the wine glasses. If you're that concerned about there not being a stem on the glass, just stick your pinky out and people will still think you're "refined".
JG1222 is offline   Reply With Quote