Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
alisphunt

Default Cottage/Cabins

Hello everyone!
My family and I normally have been renting large houses in various parts of the lake for the last several years. However next year we would like to rent individual cottages (like Abakee). When my sister and I were little our family rented cottages at Stel-Ray cottages that were located on Pleasant Street in Meredith. We remember those summers so fondly and we want to give our family that experience next year.

I currently live in Florida and I'll be up at the lake for one day in August (I know..wish it was longer but..sigh..oh well) and that is the only day we have to visit places. I have been to the Links page on the forum and found places listed there and to VisitNH.gov.
However I know there are a bunch of cottage/cabins that don't have websites or advertise except through word of mouth. Those are the ones I am interested in seeing...can anyone share any of them that you may know of that I can contact and visit?
I appreciate your assistance!

Last edited by alisphunt; 07-30-2010 at 10:54 AM.
alisphunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
Mee-n-Mac

Question Some questions

There are many cottages around the lake, some with all the amenities, some more basic. Where on the lake is your preference ? What size and how many are you looking to rent ? How fancy or how basic are you needs ? I'll track down the numbers of the ones I pass in Alton. Do you need to be on the water or within walking distance ? Do you need slips ? Lastly for how long are you looking to rent, seasonal or just a week or two ?

ps - by cottages I'll assume you don't mean condos.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
jkjoshuatree

Default Clearwater Cottages In Meredith

They have small cottages, great location, on the water, dead end street, close to both Meredith and Weirs Beach.

The Winni Scenic Train does go behind the house 5 or 6 times a day. Just wanted to warn you in case the people at Clearwater don't.
alisphunt (07-30-2010)
Old 07-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
alisphunt

Thanks for your reply. I guess I didn't think about those things and thanks for reminding me!
We would want to be on the Meredith-Alton side of the lake and we will be renting for 2 weeks. We will probably need 2-3 cottages, and you are correct we don't want condos. Definately want to be on the water and we would not need a boat slip. Basic ammenities would be fine but if we could find some with tv/dvd players for the teens to watch movies would be good too.
I remember seeing the cottages you speak of when we took the train last October and we were interested in them. Have you stayed there before or do you have feedback on them? If they are good then we will stop but if not worth it I would ratehr spend time going to others.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
jkjoshuatree

Wink I Haven't Stayed There...

...but my grandparents and then parents did. They used to take the train from North Station in Boston to the Weirs and then they'd walk (yup, I said walk) along the tracks with their luggage looking for a place to rent.

One year they found Clearwater and loved it so they rented for seven or eight years until my dad was able to buy a place of our own on Bear Island.

I've rented a cottage a few doors down from Clearwater for a couple of years in a row and my family and I just loved the location. My wife loved walking the tracks into town every morning while the kids were still asleep and bringing them back cinnamon buns from the bakery in town.

It's a great location. Another reminder; because of the location of Clearwater you'll have the sun from dawn until about two. Then the sun will be behind you and the trees will block it from the docks/beach/swim area.

This doesn't bother me but my wife and two daughters are cold unless it's 90 degrees. If this is an issue with you, you may want to look elsewhere. Just giving you the heads up.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisphunt View Post
Hello everyone!
My family and I normally have been renting large houses in various parts of the lake for the last several years. However next year we would like to rent individual cottages (like Abakee). When my sister and I were little our family rented cottages at Stel-Ray cottages that were located on Pleasant Street in Meredith. We remember those summers so fondly and we want to give our family that experience next year.

I currently live in Florida and I'll be up at the lake for one day in August (I know..wish it was longer but..sigh..oh well) and that is the only day we have to visit places. I have been to the Links page on the forum and found places listed there and to VisitNH.gov.
However I know there are a bunch of cottage/cabins that don't have websites or advertise except through word of mouth. Those are the ones I am interested in seeing...can anyone share any of them that you may know of that I can contact and visit?
Please send me a PM, and we can talk.... Also when exactly during the summer would you be looking at renting?
Old 07-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
alisphunt

JKJoshuatree: thanks for the information. Sounds like they will be worth visiting!

We haven't decided when yet but normally we go up in mid July.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisphunt View Post
Hello everyone!

alisphunt, glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum and locating a nice cottage for your visit.
alisphunt (07-30-2010)
Old 07-30-2010, 05:59 PM   #9
robmac

Try Channel Cottages right in the Weirs channel. Jose and his family are great hosts and the cottages are very clean and comfortable. Good Luck and enjoy your stay.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robmac For This Useful Post:
alisphunt (07-31-2010)
Old 08-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
weim2

Thumbs up Channel Cottages

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
Try Channel Cottages right in the Weirs channel. Jose and his family are great hosts and the cottages are very clean and comfortable. Good Luck and enjoy your stay.
I totally agree on Channel Cottages. You would have the BEST hosts in the Lakes Region, great location and very very clean and maintained. 100 thumbs up for them!
weim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weim2 For This Useful Post:
alisphunt (08-02-2010)
Old 08-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #11
garysanfran

Default Try Craigslist

Go to New Hampshire "Craigslist". Look under Vacation Rentals and type in the town you want. Most have pictures and cost.

Have fun!
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:20 AM   #12
alisphunt

Default cottages

Thanks for the craigslist suggestion...didn't think to look there!

I know there is one cottage/cabin colony over by Silver Sands I think but can't find them listed anywhere. If anyone is over that way that could help with their name and phone number I would sure appreciate it!

Hope everyone has a great day at the lake...wish I was there with you all!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:26 AM   #13
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Clearwater Lodges and Piping Rock in Wolfeboro haven't been mentioned yet.
Which side of the lake do you want?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #14
alisphunt

Default Location

We would prefer anywhere between Meredith and Alton and are looking for cottages/cabins like Channel Cottages or Abakee cottages.
We may have little kids with us too and feel the Channel cottages may not have suitable beach/water access for them, and my sister didn't like the beach area at Abakee, which is too bad because I loved them and they were extremely clean and well maintained, so we are looking for other places.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #15
valhala

Default Cottage/cabins

Right down the street from Channel Cottages, there is also Proctor's Cottages. I have never stayed, but they have cottages right on the water, grills for cooking out, and what looks like a nice sandy beach and swim area.
You could walk to many attractions and restaurants and attractions.
It looks like a nicely kept area.
valhala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #16
Kracken

You might want to look at Ames Farm Inn (Gilford). I believe they have 17 lake side cabins. They are a family oriented facility and it’s much quieter over there since the public launch closed, great breakfast & lunch too.
Kracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #17
alisphunt

I know where Proctors is and they are nice and have a great location too.
I have only driven by Ames so we would definately want to stop there and check them out.

Thanks everyone for your help...if you have more suggestions I'd love to hear them!