Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
rick35

Default Stay out of my boat

I'm curious how others feel about someone getting into your boat at a public dock to tie up another boat.

We were enjoying a nice lunch at the Lyons Den today when I noticed that a Gilford marine company was launching a boat at the Glendale ramp. The next time I looked up I saw that the guy was trying to position the boat behind mine and he had to jump into my boat in order to keep his boat from banging into mine.

I left my lunch and went down to the dock to give the guy a piece of my mind. I confirmed that he was the owner of the company and told him that he had no business in my boat. His answer was he was trying to be courteous by not letting the other boat bang into mine. I get that but a company that doesn't have water access shouldn't have to do that as part of his launching business. He was apologetic but I'm sure he'll be out there tomorrow doing the same thing. I told him that too.

Once I calmed down lunch was excellent.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
Ironfish

It's a public dock/launch. He had three choices:

1. Wait until you finished lunch.
2. Risk damaging your boat.
3. Step into your open boat, to protect it from damage.

I'd feel selfish if I expected #1. If he were going to attempt #2, I would expect him to be certain he could do so without damaging my boat. If he elected #3, and did so in a careful manner, I would thank him.
Ironfish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ironfish For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (05-18-2012), Drummer Girl (05-06-2012), Gatto Nero (05-07-2012), Heading4thelake (05-07-2012), LIforrelaxin (05-07-2012), Misty Blue (05-15-2012), Reilly (05-07-2012), secondcurve (05-07-2012), Winnipesaukee Divers (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 04:18 AM   #3
Belmont Resident

Default Hmmm

First if he knew what he was doing then he you would think he would have come prepared with extra hands.
My boat does not get boarded by anyone with shoes on so I’d be pissed as I doubt he took them off.
I guess a lot depends on the situation; could your boat have been better located to avoid this from happening? I’ve seen a lot of captains do what they want and not always the smartest thing has been done creating a tougher situation for others.
At the Weirs dock many tie up at the end of the docks because there are not up to the task of navigating between other boats. This effectively makes it harder for anyone else wanting to pull in.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #4
Kamper

I think you reacted improperly. He was excercising his responsibility to prevent damage to your boat as well as the boat he was launching. Dings and bangs are an expected part of life if you use public docks but I bet you'd have been more than annoyed if your finish had gotten scratched.

It was definitly the lesser of two evils so after checking your boat I hope you enjoyed the rest of your meal.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kamper For This Useful Post:
Heading4thelake (05-07-2012), LIforrelaxin (05-07-2012), Winnisquamguy (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Public docks

First of all I have to agree with BR. boarding a boat with shoes full of dirt or scuffing the surface is a huge no no. Many of us spend countless of hours detailing our pride and joy, let alone the amount of money we spend on the boat.

Each port on the lake have public docks with unique challenges. The Meredith docks has plenty of room to manuever, perhaps too much. I bet they can add another finger and still have plenty of room. BR mention the Weirs and he is spot on of the problem. Glendale is catered to the island residence and the Gilford businesses. Most of the time, I feel I am not wanted there.

I could go on but I'm sure everyone got the drift. Rick35 has a valid point, my boat was actually moved and retied many times at Glendale. Without my permission and in a position where it is damaged because of the concrete pilings and or banging on other boats. Glendale needs to allow more room for the land residence, transients and those who wants to do business at the marina and restauarant. The island residents beg to differ.

When boarding and or handling another boat without the owner's presence, please consider the consequences and treat the boat as if it is your own.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #6
NoRegrets

Boats are very personal. Some captains make them "showpieces" while others enjoy the use and are relaxed about the finish. I am not as sensitive about someone that is capable working to secure against a potential problem. But I definitely believe private proberty should be admired from a respectful distance.

I agree with BR. This gentleman created the problem and then used your boat - I am in your camp!
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
Jonas Pilot

I agree about somebody messing with my boat. I don't like it. Personally I try to never loose sight of my boat when it's docked. On the other hand I've been tempted to cut a boat adrift when some nimrod places their boat in a position where the boat gets in every bodies way. It can be pretty frustrating when a boater decides to dock where it's convenient for them but with complete disregard for their fellow boaters and the inconveniences they have caused. In Wolfeboro this happens all the time. I wish I had a nickel for every time some boater has docked by the hotdog guy while somebodies trying to launch their boat. There could be a dozen other open places to park where they would not have forced difficulties onto others but all they think about is what's easiest and best for them..

Last edited by Jonas Pilot; 05-07-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #8
AC2717

I am in a couple different boats here. Yes fully agree stay off my boat and better not touch my lines because i tie up a certain way, but to prevent damage because of an error, I would be a little upset but not mad because they preventer further damage.

I do have a quick story: I was pulling into wolfboro when litteray out of nowhere a gust of wind caught me and almost slamed the boat into another, I was tying the bow, my wife grabbed a bumper and rushed to the stern and got it inbetween our boat and the other person.

The other guy was pissed that she dare touch his boat with the bumper, and she said, better the bumper than hull on hull. It stopped there

story is sometimes mistakes or things happen that are not planned for, and the least damage course is the way to go and I think that is what might have happened there.

yes with you get out of my boat with no business being there, but I would want someone to jump and protect it if the instance presented itself because of possible damage to occur
Old 05-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #9
SAB1

I would be ticked as heck if someone boarded mine without permisson and would never do that myself. I don't care if its a public place or not. So is the grocery store parking lot and you would expect someone to jump in your car. If he had to board your boat he likely wasnt very skilled or was trying to get into to tight a spot. As for someone moving your boat and retying at a dock in anothe place that isn't right either. You want to do that to me there had better be a sign on the dock saying it could be done.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #10
Woodsy

No offense... But I am kind of with the guy launching.

I know there is no specific "rule" about docking, however there was no need for ricks boat to be that close to the launch, especially this time of year. I personally think that the first 100 or so feet of dock closest to the launch should be reserved for those launching and retrieving boats. Its a public launch after all.

Those who know me KNOW how I nice I keep my Donzi. That being said, I would rather a guy jump on my boat with shoes on to prevent a good scrape than let my boat get scraped and have to deal with ins companies or a large out of pocket expense.

Woodsy
Belmont Resident (05-08-2012), hancoveguy (05-08-2012), LIforrelaxin (05-07-2012), secondcurve (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #11
JanN

Don't own a boat, never will and wouldn't in most cases want anyone on my property without permission, but in this case are you saying you'd rather come out from lunch and find damage to your boat because this guy didn't try to prevent it?
JanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #12
chaseisland

You need to board my boat to tie up, prevent damage, save a life, or some other emergency, be my guest. Try not to damage anything and don't stay long enough to get a sun tan. But, my boat is a 1971 Penn Yan and has seen many years of heavy use and probably abuse.
chaseisland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chaseisland For This Useful Post:
KPW (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #13
codeman671

I agree with Chaseisland.

Rick, would you have been uglier had he stayed out of your boat but whacked into it and done damage? I assume so.

Being a Gilford islander, I am at Glendale often. You did not specify where you were parked on the dock, but I am assuming it was in the launch row. It can get pretty crazy in there, and with the slightest wind backing a boat all the way out after launch can be tricky for even an experienced captain.

I would not be a fan of someone boarding my boat just to board and check it out, but if there was a necessity such as preventing an accident or damage then go for it. Just don't touch anyones lines, if you move a boat and re-tie it you risk damaging it. Everyone has a specific way (or reason) their boat is tied the way it is.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #14
Diver Vince

I really wouldn't get too upset about it, nor would I let it interfere with my lunch. Unless he actually damaged your boat I wouldn't really care. I'm sure he was just trying to do the right thing and prevent the boats from damaging each other.
Diver Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
Rusty

Is this the window that you were looking out when you saw the guy get on your boat?

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #16
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
I agree about somebody messing with my boat. I don't like it. Personally I try to never loose sight of my boat when it's docked. On the other hand I've been tempted to cut a boat adrift when some nimrod places their boat in a position where the boat gets in every bodies way. It can be pretty frustrating when a boater decides to dock where it's convenient for them but with complete disregard for their fellow boaters and the inconveniences they have caused. In Wolfeboro this happens all the time. I wish I had a nickel for every time some boater has docked by the hotdog guy while some somebodies trying to launch their boat. There could be a dozen other open places to park where they would not have forced difficulties onto others but all they think about is what's easiest and best for them..
I agree. I think it is ok to retie a boat to make room for another. They may have been thoughtless or they may have had to tie there because another boat was in their way when they first docked.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #17
rick35

Default More relaxed now, thanks

Thanks everyone for your input. I think one has to expect that something will happen to your boat when you tie up a public dock. My error was that I parked on the inside of the dock and should have known that there's the potential for this to happen. I'll be more careful in the future and stay at the end or on the outside. And I agree with everyone who added that it was better to get in my boat to prevent damage.

One of the posters mentioned that perhaps the guy should have brought additional help with him. This was a guy who launches boats for his business away from the water. I'm sure he's there all the time and this is going on regularly. I would probably not have been so upset had it been just a regular guy but to operate a business that way just set me off.

You noticed that I didn't mention the name of the guy. I took that into consideration when I thought there may be other points of view and I didn't want to start another inflamed debate about the business.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rick35 For This Useful Post:
hancoveguy (05-08-2012), Kamper (05-07-2012), secondcurve (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #18
jrc

I kind of feel the opposite about it being a business person. He's trying to make a living, he paid to use that launch, he really can't afford to have a spare person around, just in case.

Plus, I think the Lyon's Den should put up more of a stink on how the islanders can intentionally block public docking. The restaurant pays town taxes and their customers should have fair use of town services.

I try to keep my boat clean and I would not want some yahoo climbing all over it, but accidents happen. If you cause damage to someone property you have duty to mitigate the damage. Even better if you can prevent it, but say he scuffed your decks, and avoided scratching your hull. You wouldn't make that trade? Of course, he should make it right either way.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #19
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post

Plus, I think the Lyon's Den should put up more of a stink on how the islanders can intentionally block public docking. The restaurant pays town taxes and their customers should have fair use of town services.
What are you talking about??
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #20
Jonas Pilot

I'm looking forward to going back to this post tomorrow. This is an interesting and pertinent thread.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #21
NBR

Most boaters are very aware of how a boat can be damaged and use reasonable care. Now if your boats mooring lines or line came loose I suspect you would welcome a visit.

IMHO you are over reacting. Now if the guy was not operating in a way to protect your boat or another then I'd say yep a problem.

No one should just get on your boat for a look-see but to facilitate docking or protecting another craft it is okay with me - actually I encourage it.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:35 AM   #22
Belmont Resident

Cool are you kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
First of all I have to agree with BR. boarding a boat with shoes full of dirt or scuffing the surface is a huge no no. Many of us spend countless of hours detailing our pride and joy, let alone the amount of money we spend on the boat.

Each port on the lake have public docks with unique challenges. The Meredith docks has plenty of room to manuever, perhaps too much. I bet they can add another finger and still have plenty of room. BR mention the Weirs and he is spot on of the problem. Glendale is catered to the island residence and the Gilford businesses. Most of the time, I feel I am not wanted there.

I could go on but I'm sure everyone got the drift. Rick35 has a valid point, my boat was actually moved and retied many times at Glendale. Without my permission and in a position where it is damaged because of the concrete pilings and or banging on other boats. Glendale needs to allow more room for the land residence, transients and those who wants to do business at the marina and restauarant. The island residents beg to differ.

When boarding and or handling another boat without the owner's presence, please consider the consequences and treat the boat as if it is your own.
Have you seen the way some boats are taken care of?
The last thing I'd want is for someone to treat my boat as if it were their own.
I've seen many boats on the lake 5-7 years newer then mine and looking like they were 10 years older. I often wonder how some could spend the kind of money boats cost and let it look like some do.
I know I was anal but I'd wax from the rub rail up every time I took the boat out.
Besides I gave me a chance to develop a thirst to quench.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:45 AM   #23
Belmont Resident

Default great point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
No offense... But I am kind of with the guy launching.

I know there is no specific "rule" about docking, however there was no need for ricks boat to be that close to the launch, especially this time of year. I personally think that the first 100 or so feet of dock closest to the launch should be reserved for those launching and retrieving boats. Its a public launch after all.

Those who know me KNOW how I nice I keep my Donzi. That being said, I would rather a guy jump on my boat with shoes on to prevent a good scrape than let my boat get scraped and have to deal with ins companies or a large out of pocket expense.

Woodsy
Great point about the time of year Woodsy.
I know you and I would probably have tied as far away from other boats as possible anyways. It is kind of like parking a really nice car or truck in the tightest spot just to be closer to the store.
Speaking of that and getting off topic, I love it when you see people driving around a parking lot looking for the closest spot to the entrance of the gym. Now that makes total sense.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:16 AM   #24
RailroadJoe

Those are the same people who order a large fry and a DIET coke.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:31 AM   #25
Newbiesaukee

As we seem to be veering off topic: if your sole purpose is weight control ( not healthy eating), then a diet coke and fries is better for weight control than regular coke and fries. Sometimes what seems obvious turns out not to be so. Actually, the last sentence is on topic.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #26
Belmont Resident

Default since off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
As we seem to be veering off topic: if your sole purpose is weight control ( not healthy eating), then a diet coke and fries is better for weight control than regular coke and fries. Sometimes what seems obvious turns out not to be so. Actually, the last sentence is on topic.
Diet soda is worse for you then naturally sweetened.
Almost all of the artificially sweetened drinks contain Aspartame as the sweetener.
This is not a drug or a food and is not under the food & drug control.
This can cause numerous health problems that are far worse then eating sugar yet has no warning labels required.
I was getting migraine headaches before I stopped drinking or eating anything containing it.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #27
Misty Blue

Default You make me proud.

Rick you are a BIG man to admit that possibly you were just a bit over the top at the docks.

AC2717, your wife did GREAT! The use of a "walking fender" rather than body parts to fend off a boat is excellent seamanship. In the CG, if you use your hands to fend off you will loose your qualifications.

Now my 2 cents...

I am in favor of boarding a strangers boat to avert damage. I do not consider it trespassing. If I was walking down the road and saw your kid tangled up in in his swing set I would stomp on your lawn and save the boy from injury.

I spend a lot of time on the docks and if I see a boat that has it's docking line untied I will grab the line and do the best job that I can to save his boat (and others) from damage.

Thinking of AC's wife. I have seen boats that either through poor conditions of lack of skill were placing other boats in danger of damage. When I do, and if I can, I grab a walking fender and do what ever it takes to save a strangers boat from damage and possibly inexperianced people from injury.

Again just my $.02.

ps. If it becomes a choice between smashing a hand or a rub rail, take the rail.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Misty Blue For This Useful Post:
Billy Bob (05-15-2012), BroadHopper (05-15-2012), Dog's Ear (05-15-2012), RailroadJoe (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #28
T2Green

He was on your boat for all the right reasons. A person that is that worried about someone getting on their boat for a minute to protect it most likely has something to hide
T2Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #29
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Seen a lot of funny things at the docks over the years. Boats with a loose line, causing the boat drift away from the dock, boats tied so that the rub rail missed a piling and waves caused to to chafe on a bolt, boats with the key on and bilge pump running....even, once a boat that had been launched, docked and left taking on water due to no drain plugs while the owner went to lunch.
Lots of reasons for a good samaritan to board a boat.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #30
Pineedles

The degree of ignorance as to even simple knots amazes me when I see people "securing" their $100,000.00 + boats to public docks. Perhaps instead of free safety inspections we should offer a knot tying course at all the public launching points?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:14 AM   #31
dpg

Yikes...boat owners are a touchy group! I used to boat but hasn't been out of the garage in a few years. When it was be my guest and board to avoid contact.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #32
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
The degree of ignorance as to even simple knots amazes me when I see people "securing" their $100,000.00 + boats to public docks. Perhaps instead of free safety inspections we should offer a knot tying course at all the public launching points?
Amen Pineneedles!

For cheap entertainment, we used to hang out at either Meredith, Weirs or Wolfeboro on a busy weekend afternoon. It's amazing how some people handle their boats.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #33
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Late to the party here but you should go down to places like Block Island and Nantucket where boats are parked 10 out. You literally need to walk across 8-9 boats to get to yours. It does not matter how much your boat costs or anything. You have no say. So when some family of 8 decides they want to go ashore or come back with sand on their feet or dripping beer down their cheeks you just have to say...."Come aboard y'all." "Have a nice day". So yeah I would say if the person was being respectful of your boat, no problem. If the guy was tracking mud into, or otherwise damaging your boat, then I'd have had word with whomever was walking around in my boat.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote