Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2010, 07:31 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default M L King day-snow

It would appear the lakes region, Tuftonboro, Wolfeboro, Alton, Gilford, Laconia, Meredith, Centre Harbor & Moultonborough, is getting hit pretty good with this here Martin Luther King day snowstorm.......it's about time.......goodbye snow drought!

WMUR just said 11" in Tuftonboro.

Waterville Valley got a big two inches so far........not much!

How much snow down your way?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
M L King day-snow?
Its called "Civil Rights Day" in NH
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
Mooseyme

Default our anow

Yes, I heard that, too & was pretty surprised. Here at Clark's Landing we only have about 4 inches, although weather.com says about 5. It's still snowing and looks like a wonderland.

Last edited by Mooseyme; 01-18-2010 at 08:13 AM. Reason: our "snow"
Mooseyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
Lakegeezer

Moultonborough Bay area got 3-4" and it has pretty much stopped snowing as of 8:30 AM. I saw Laconia reporting 9"! We have been in the shadow all winter here.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
Seeker

10" here Effingham/Wakefield line and still coming down heavy.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Its called "Civil Rights Day" in NH
In June, 1999, Governor Jeanne Shaheen signed into NH law the bill that officially changed the name of New Hampshire's Civil Rights Day into Martin Luther King Day. New Hampshire was the last of all fifty states to recognize his birthday as Martin Luther King Day.

In May, 1991, Governor Judd Gregg signed the NH law making it Civil Right's Day as recognized by New Hampshire.

In May, 1983, President Ronald Reagan signed the federal law making it Martin Luther King Jr. Day, as recognized by the U.S.A.

In April, 1968, the Rev Martin Luther King was assassinated in Memphis, Tennessee.

Hey....back in May 1964 Washington DC, didn't the Reverend King give his famous speech that included the line: "....and from the prodigeous mountain tops of New Hampshire, let freedom ring!" ...or something like that .....

....so....let it snow...let it snow...let it snow!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-18-2010 at 09:39 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
wifi

Quote:
... Shaheen signed into NH law....
Shaheen, I should have known this, thanks for reminding me
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #8
Formula

Default Lond Island

Quote:
It would appear the lakes region, Tuftonboro, Wolfeboro, Alton, Gilford, Laconia, Meredith, Centre Harbor & Moultonborough, is getting hit pretty good with this here Martin Luther King day snowstorm.......it's about time.......goodbye snow drought!

WMUR just said 11" in Tuftonboro.

Waterville Valley got a big two inches so far........not much!

How much snow down your way?
On the tip of Long Isalnd the snow has stopped and we have 10". The snow however is not wet heavy snow but rather yet another storm of powder. Not the best for snowmobiling
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #9
hazelnut

Meredith Neck has at least 8-10 inches anyway. It's an unofficial total as I am just eyeballing it but it seems to have a bit more water content than reported on Long Island. It packs pretty well and is good snowball snow!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #10
Little Bear

Close to 12" of light powder in West Alton.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
Ropetow

Where's Yuki?
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #12
hilltopper

Default 7"

7" of fairly wet snow in the north end of Meredith.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #13
DRH

Default 10.5" Here

We got 10.5" of snow in West Alton. It was a bit on the heavy side to move, but not real heavy like the "wet concrete" stuff we sometimes get. I took this picture of Sleepers Island around 2:30pm today. As you can see, it's quite beautiful here with the new snow.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:54 AM   #14
Sleepersbound

DRH,

Thanks for the picture. It is the first one I've seen this year that shows the Minge-to-Sleepers area. Do you know if the snow cover is slushy and if it is safe to snowshoe to the mid-point of Sleepers - looking out between Treasure and Rattlesnake toward Ship? Have you seen any lights on Sleepers that would indicate the electricity is on? Thanks for any info you can provide.
Sleepersbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #15
corollaman

Default I'm already getting tired of this.

It wasn't supposed to snow this much today, they said yesterday just snow showers and flurries, but the radar is showing a lot more than that. The weather people need to get it right. If I had the money, I would be moving out of here to Miami Florida. NH stinks.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:05 PM   #16
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepersbound View Post
DRH,

Thanks for the picture. It is the first one I've seen this year that shows the Minge-to-Sleepers area. Do you know if the snow cover is slushy and if it is safe to snowshoe to the mid-point of Sleepers - looking out between Treasure and Rattlesnake toward Ship? Have you seen any lights on Sleepers that would indicate the electricity is on? Thanks for any info you can provide.
Welcome to the Forum, Sleepersbound. The only lights we've noticed recently on Sleepers are some that we think are solar-powered on the southwest side. As for ice conditions, we saw some snowmobiles out yesterday between Minge Cove and Sleepers and they did not appear to be having any problem with slush. As for ice safety, I really can't advise you as I haven't heard any reports of ice thickness out there. However, a bobhouse was pulled over to near the black-and-white marker on the southeastern side of Treasure this past weekend and people were out there most of the weekend. There was also an ice fisherman out near the mouth of Minge Cove. If you want to email me through the Forum and give me your email address, I'll be glad to give you any update I get.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:00 PM   #17
Ropetow

Quote:
Originally Posted by corollaman View Post
It wasn't supposed to snow this much today, they said yesterday just snow showers and flurries, but the radar is showing a lot more than that. The weather people need to get it right. If I had the money, I would be moving out of here to Miami Florida. NH stinks.
For those of us who frequented the Forum last winter we know, all too-well, your disdain for winter and winter sports.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ropetow For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (01-20-2010), hazelnut (01-19-2010), hilltopper (01-20-2010), Jonas Pilot (01-19-2010), Resident 2B (01-20-2010), trfour (01-19-2010), Webbsatwinni (01-20-2010)
Old 01-19-2010, 11:02 PM   #18
trfour

Smile Dear corollaman...

Quote:

Keep in mind that you must pass a 500 question latency test ( Before you Can Leave The Area ).
However, this could be waived, and in you're favor, if you would decide to be a little more supportive and and for the very wonderful 365 day a year happenings and goings on over here in NH...

You will be kept under surveillance in this matter!
Only Kidding!

corollaman just adds to the diverse and... tumes ever so comes to mind.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:30 AM   #19
corollaman

at least I'm puttin it in the weather forum, and not the winter sports forum. Don't get me wrong, the snow is OK in small doses, but whenever I need to go somewhere, like work, or visit my sick Grandfather, it almost always snows. I would consider taking a winter sport up, but it takes $$$ I don't have. I am entitled to my opinion about the weather. I probably would enjoy winter more if I did have a winter sport, but again it takes $$.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to corollaman For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (01-20-2010)
Old 01-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #20
fatlazyless

Quote:
but it takes $$$ I don't have. I am entitled to my opinion about the weather. I probably would enjoy winter more if I did have a winter sport, but again it takes $$.
Do what I do.....go check out the used XC stuff at Etcetera Shop in Meredith, or Saint Vincent's or Salvaton Army Laconia, or a yard sale and then head over to a 'no fee xc zone' like Mystic Meadows, or some other golf course. or the 2.8 mile Livermore Rd in WV-WMNF.

Downhill skiing is for wussy boys & wussy girls.....the lift does all the work...and it takes like $800 of equipment to go glide down the hill.....plus a $67 lift ticket.....downhill is a capitalist conspiracy....for people too lazy to go cross country.....
Old 01-20-2010, 09:37 AM   #21
SIKSUKR

Talking Can't buy me looooove

Quote:
I probably would enjoy winter more if I did have a winter sport, but again it takes $$.
Go buy yourself a $30 pair of snowshoes at FLL-mart and have at it. Somebody here would probably give you old ski equipment free if they thought you would use it. You don't need money to have fun in the snow but you do need something your lacking. And all the money in the world can't buy you a positive attitude.
Ropetow (01-20-2010)
Old 01-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #22
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Docks in water?

DRH,
In the beautiful photo that you posted above, it appears that two docks are encrusted in the ice. Can this be?
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #23
Ropetow

Quote:
I probably would enjoy winter more if I did have a winter sport, but again it takes $$.
Walking in the snow is free and beautiful. Sitting inside by the wood stove watching the snow come down is free and beautiful. Watching the birds at a snow-covered feeder is free and beautiful. Driving down to Alton Bay watching the planes come and go at the Ice Airport is free and beautiful. Not everything in life costs money. But the beauty of our four seasons is priceless.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #24
DRH

Default Above the Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
DRH,
In the beautiful photo that you posted above, it appears that two docks are encrusted in the ice. Can this be?
Redwing, the two docks in the foreground of the photo belong to our next door neighbor and they are both actually above the ice. The one on the left is built into a breakwater and it is supported by horizontal timbers that are secured by the breakwater rocks. In fact most of what you see is actually the rock breakwater that is covered with ice and snow. The dock on the right is built on top of a number of large rocks. Because of the deep snow cover it does appear that the docks are encrusted in ice, but they really aren't. The lake level is usually low enough so even the dock posts are above the ice. Neither of them has ever been damaged by the ice in the past.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:50 PM   #25
jeffatsquam

Default Lake snow Fog ?

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned anything about the fog over the lake this morning.

It kind of startled me the minute I pulled off my road and have a view of the winnipesaukee basin. I looked down at my thermometer and it said 19*.

I thought it kind of strange so thought about it the rest of the way to work and I have a theory, but i thought I would throw it out there and see if anybody saw it and had a theory.

I'll give it a little time and see if anybody chimes with expert in sight
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:40 PM   #26
Jonas Pilot

Default Sublimation?

I'm reaching here.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:54 PM   #27
captbart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseyme View Post
Yes, I heard that, too & was pretty surprised. Here at Clark's Landing we only have about 4 inches, although weather.com says about 5. It's still snowing and looks like a wonderland.
Thats only because I ordered very little snow for Clarks Landing so I dont have to plow a lot. Its now the 20th, how'd that work out for me? Oh well it is winter!!!
captbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #28
DRH

Default Thick Fog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffatsquam View Post
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned anything about the fog over the lake this morning.

It kind of startled me the minute I pulled off my road and have a view of the winnipesaukee basin. I looked down at my thermometer and it said 19*.

I thought it kind of strange so thought about it the rest of the way to work and I have a theory, but i thought I would throw it out there and see if anybody saw it and had a theory.

I'll give it a little time and see if anybody chimes with expert in sight
We noted the thick fog this morning too, Jeff. As you mentioned, the temperature at the time was in the teens and we were quite surprised to see the fog. Usually we expect to see winter fog if the air temp. is mild over the ice, but I have no theory as to why there was such thick fog this morning.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:17 AM   #29
jeffatsquam

Well my theory is that as the snow fell for several hours the temperature was in low to mid 30's, and as we know the snow is a good insulator trapping the warmer air which eventually rose to meet up with the much colder air of the early morning creating fog, which gathered in the lowest elevations over the lake
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote