Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-24-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Young Deer Laconia ByPass

I was heading toward Belmont from Gilford yesterday afternoon and came upon a bunch of cars off the edge of the road. I stopped, along with a bunch of other folks to see what was going on.

An older gentleman, (nice guy) had barely clipped the last young deer in a family of deer that crossed the highway. Mom and the rest made it across, but this little one was knocked down and had a small gash under it's eye when it hit the pavement. It then retreated to the east side of the road.

A couple of unbelieveably kind ladys got a blanket while I and couple of other folks tried to slow the traffic down before the deer would try to cross the road again to get back to it's family.

A really nice policewomen from Belmont, showed up and finally got the traffic completely stopped and ladies and I used a blanket, which we slung behind the deer's back legs and quided it across the street and down the path that the family of deer had gone.

A few of us stayed close by, the deer appeared to be OK. I had a call into the F&G, but the nearest agent was way up north. When he called, his advice was to leave it in the safe spot we had got it to and maybe Mom wasn't far away and would find it.

I hated the idea of just leaving it there, but turns out when I went back to check on it a hour later.. it was gone. I choose the fairy tale ending that it found it's family!
Airedale1 (09-25-2014), bclaker (09-24-2014), Greene's Basin Girl (09-24-2014), HellRaZoR004 (09-24-2014), Just Sold (09-24-2014), MGWillia (09-24-2014), RLW (09-24-2014)