Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-05-2015, 10:05 AM   #1
marcucci

Default Tri-toon rentals? Should I care?

We're thinking of switching to a tri-toon for our next boat so obviously I wanted to spend some time with one on the lake. I've been looking for a place that rents them in a configuration like what we think we would buy, tri-toons, 22-24 ft, 90-150 hp engine. My questions are:
1) Anyone have a suggestion besides Channel who has this rental config? (They are the only one I've found so far.)
2) Should I be so concerned about the tri-toon and the hp? Does it impact handling that much? If I find a pontoon, right length and HP will I get a close enough experience?
We're mostly switching for the space, the ride in rough weekend water, the reduced maintenance.
Boat #3: Premier Sunsation 220 Tritoon
Boating on Winnipesaukee since 1989
Vacationing on Winnipesaukee since 1975
marcucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

Winnisquam Marine has the largest selection of rental tri-toons in the area up to and including a 250 HP I believe. They are on Winnisuam and not Winnipesaukee however.

Goodhue & Hawkins in Wolfeboro used to rent decent tri-toons as well as Fay's boatyard.

I think if you rent a tri-toon with the same size motor that you are thinking of buying, as well as the same length this should give you a very good representation of what it will be like.

Good Luck!!

Dan
Old 09-05-2015, 10:51 AM   #3
Greene's Basin Girl

Melvin Marina rents a number of tritoons. We bought our tritoon Harris Flotebote from them and we love it. I would suggest only buying a trtoon that is at least 23 feet in length. Our boat handles flawlessly on the lake in all weather conditions and heavy boat traffic.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:59 AM   #4
DesertDweller

Melvin Village Marina has tri-toons to rent and I know Trexlers rents as well and probably has a tri-toon or two.

I agree with the other post that if you rent something close to what you are thinking about buying that will give you a good feel but would strongly recommend doing a sea trial/test drive first before committing to make sure.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:16 AM   #5
RUGMAN

Default Tritoons

We rented a tritoon from Thurstons, with a 150hp. It was great, we had rented a tritoon from Channel with 115, it was nice, but the 150 was much better, What i am hearing as to Winni, tritoons are the way to go.
RUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2015, 06:08 AM   #6
Dad sold the C * C

There is a difference between tri-toons and how they handle. I'll use Premier as an example because I have rented at least 6 different 2 and 3 toon boats and just bought one. The "performance" ( PTX ) tri- toons have Lifting strakes and a "faceted" bottom on the center toon; this allows for quick planning and banked turns. These performance toons behave similar to a fiberglass hull and often have 150 to 250 HP engines, or higher.

They also make what I would call a base tri-toon, these have 3 round toons. The center toon on mine stops a few feet from the stern and does not connect with the motor well. These still ride the chop nicely and are very stable. The turns are flatter without much lean, the dogs like this much better. We have a 23' with a 150 four stroke and it moves OK, it works for water sports, but minimal wake of course.

So yes, there are significant differences. Also the motor makes a difference, I liked the performance of a 2 stroke, but the four strokes really seem quieter. You can have a conversation that includes people from one end of the boat to another. And if you don't want to listen to someone, just "go faster"

Good luck shopping, have fun.
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:38 PM   #7
rowinghelmet

Wolfeboro Corinthian Yacht Club rents a 24ft tritoon with a 250hp engine - http://www.wcycnh.com/pontoon-rentals.html

I believe Goodhue Hawkins has some Sanpan tritoons w/150hp engines.

Here's a list of all the boat rental outfits in the lakes region - https://www.facebook.com/notes/boat-...18744308304430
rowinghelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:13 PM   #8
marcucci

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I also had a conversation with a few owners at the sand bars this weekend. It looks like I'm going to have to do a few rentals to get a feel for the different configurations. Every maker seems to have their own design on the toons too. I need to figure out what works for the lake the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boat #3: Premier Sunsation 220 Tritoon
Boating on Winnipesaukee since 1989
Vacationing on Winnipesaukee since 1975
marcucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:11 AM   #9
VitaBene

Thanked 1,607 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcucci View Post
Thanks everyone for all the replies. I also had a conversation with a few owners at the sand bars this weekend. It looks like I'm going to have to do a few rentals to get a feel for the different configurations. Every maker seems to have their own design on the toons too. I need to figure out what works for the lake the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes and test different power option- outboards are expensive, but I have never heard anyone complain that they have too much HP!!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote