Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-07-2015, 01:33 PM   #1
snowman

Default How to drop anchor in Braun Bay?

I am new to boating and am trying to learn how one navigates and anchors into a crowded area like Braun Bay. If someone could describe the step by step process it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=19551

Start with this thread- some good stuff here.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:25 PM   #3
caloway

Default anchoring

First, get yourself a second anchor. Everyone anchors their bow, then stern to keep from swinging around in tight quarters.

When you come in, make sure you pick a spot 25' from all other boats. Because of all of the other boats and the double anchors/rope, I'll frequently shut it off when it gets shallow and walk it where I want it.

The other alternative is to get there before 10 and make everybody else work around where you've set it. In Braun, make sure you're past the 75' marker or you'll be too close to shore.
caloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:28 PM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloway View Post
The other alternative is to get there before 10 and make everybody else work around where you've set it.
The only problem I found with this as a new boater is that I would get blocked in, which I always found more difficult than picking a spot.

Just take it slow, making sure to pay attention to incoming boats' wakes, and you'll be fine.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:38 AM   #5
marcucci

Please look not just at the other boats but also their anchor lines and how many they have. First the lines, so you know where they are and you don't run them over. I've had this happen to me and it's often people who seem overwhelmed by navigating through the boats. Secondly, if you dock near another boat look to see if they have one or two lines down. I was there last week anchored pretty far out with just a bow anchor. Someone anchored near me then got annoyed when my boat swung. If you are having trouble talk to the other boaters. I'm always happy to help someone navigate in or anchor when I am there.
Boat #3: Premier Sunsation 220 Tritoon
Boating on Winnipesaukee since 1989
Vacationing on Winnipesaukee since 1975
marcucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2015, 09:44 AM   #6
znh

I feel sometimes here it is the person with the IDGAF attitude that anchors best. Time and time again people come in, get within a couple feet of our boat, ride over the rode line, pay no attention or care to anyone around them. We always joke about this since it's a common occurrence. I was by myself there on Friday early afternoon for 20 minutes to anchor and swim, didn't go all the way in to the sand since I didn't want to take up any room. In comes a pontoon boat filled with 10+ 20 something year olds, ride over my rode line, bump my boat and not even a simple apology or ask for assistance...

I would try to go and practice anchoring there when it is not busy, early on a weekday should give you plenty of room to practice and get comfortable. I think the best way is getting as close as you can and then have someone help walk you in to where you want to be. Just make sure your front line is not sticking too far out, sometimes people drop the front anchor too early and end up with 20+ feet of rope out in the water where other people would probably need to navigate to get in and out...
znh is offline   Reply With Quote