Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2015, 06:26 PM   #1
Water Camper

Default Too Close for Comfort

Saturday we spent the day with Friends at their place on Cow Island. Left their place around 8:00 PM heading back to our port, which is Lakeport Landing.
Around 9:00 PM we're leaving the no wake between Eagle and Governor's heading towards the channel by the Weirs. As I am looking at the Weirs, all I see is tons of white lights. All of a sudden I realize I am seeing a large vessel approaching me dead on without any navigational lights. I quickly turn to starboard and Sue suggests she could have reached out and touched the other boat.
We can see 2 individuals at the helm, but I don't think they even saw us. I yell at them, but no response. In an instant they are past us.
Would like to have gotten their bow numbers, but feel Lucky we are here to talk about it !!
Just would like to ask, make sure all of your lights are on when boating at night.

Just needed to comment !!
Thank,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:06 PM   #2
Rich

Wow... sorry to hear this. I'm glad your here to tell us about it.

Perhaps they had their docking lights on and this washed out their navigation lights? I lot of people don't realize how dangerous it is to run like this.

At least you reacted properly, and didn't end up on the rocks at Eagle any one one was hurt.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #3
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Camper View Post
...make sure all of your lights are on when boating at night.
I would say, make sure only the proper lights are on at night. Having your nav and anchor lights on, along with blinding white lights pointing forward that are mounted on top of your "roll bar," is just stupid. I saw that at dusk last week on a boat headed up the Broads towards Center Harbor.
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:24 PM   #4
ursa minor

EEK! So glad you're OK and that we're reading this here and not seeing news of a tragedy on the news. Well done on your part to react so quickly.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:05 AM   #5
Water Camper

Default Just to clarify

I want to clarify that the boat appeared to have its anchor light on which was mounted very high on the boat and from my vantage point blended in with all of the white lights at the Weirs. It did not have docking lights on, or they may have at least been able to see me.

Still was too close for comfort for us !!

Thanks,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2015, 08:25 AM   #6
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Good point that docking lights can easily be mistaken for lights from the shore.
Goes to show that you've got to be on your toes out there....glad you're ok....close call.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:10 AM   #7
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Camper View Post
I want to clarify that the boat appeared to have its anchor light on which was mounted very high on the boat and from my vantage point blended in with all of the white lights at the Weirs. It did not have docking lights on, or they may have at least been able to see me.

Still was too close for comfort for us !!

Thanks,
Bill
On my boat, I have a two position switch Nav/Anchor. I wonder if he has the same type of switch and didn't realize or know the difference?

I pretty much always look at my lights to be sure they are on and working as required in case a bulb blew. Doing this I have found some corrosion causing a bulb to not light in the past.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:39 PM   #8
ursa minor

I guess it's possible that they mistakenly put on the anchor light on but for what it's worth, any boat I've ever driven at night you see at least some glow from the bow lights, just sayin.... Of course I'm one of those people that tests my lights before I leave the dock if I know we're going to be out after dark, it's good to hear I'm not the only "crazy" one. This is serious stuff, the OP and his passengers could have been seriously hurt if not worse if not for HIS attention to what was going on around him. Glad this one worked out but wow, if the other guy is reading this you need to revisit your priorities!
Old 08-08-2015, 06:08 AM   #9
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Exclamation Oh, my!

Bill, I am so glad that you and Sue made it through without getting hit!!!

Did you give a long blast of your horn? If they had a radio on, they may not have heard you yelling. As you stated, it happened so fast. Makes me think an air horn would be good for after dark navigation.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:32 PM   #10
Farfrumbehavin

It surprises me that me that he didn't see YOUR lights. He obviously needs to have his nav lights on but should have been able to stay way clear of you by seeing yours. I have always thought that the hazards would be under the water at night. He probably said "WOW did you see how close that guy came to us?" I enjoy the lake at dusk but always try to be in before dark.
Farfrumbehavin is offline   Reply With Quote