Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-24-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
DougNH

Default Dead Deer in lake

Hi, long time reader but I do not post much. We are on Meredith Bay (used to be on Greens Basin) for the past 6 years (part time).

I found this to be odd so I thought I would post it.

We had a dead deer at our dock in the water the other day and the Fish and Game Dept was called. We were not around so a neighbor called. I was told they came out the next day and apparently haul it out into the lake, gutted it and let it sink to the bottom.

Not sure what one would do with a dead water logged deer but I thought they would haul it out and disposed of it in some other fashion.
DougNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
Just Sold

Back in early June of 2006 I found a large dead Deer NE of Rattlesnake Island. It had been in the water quite a while. I contacted the FG and they came and took care of it. It happens quite often.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:59 PM   #3
Merrymeeting

We had one near our house a few years ago. F&G hauled it out of the water and pulled it into the forest well behind the homes. They left it for the rest of the forest animals to dispose of. Seemed to work fine...
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
wynndog (09-26-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 04:14 PM   #4
RLW

Smile

DougNH, I was just browsing through the forum and noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum after joining back in August 2006. We are glad that you have come aboard and joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Thanks for coming back to the forum and letting us know what happen at your location with the deer. What they did surprised me, but looking at it, it does make sense.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:51 AM   #5
glennsteely

Default In the 80's....

When I was a little younger, early in the spring there was talk in Sachem Cove (Spindle Point) of a young moose that was found in the water, washed up in shallow water and grounded on a residents beach. The marine patrol was called, but I'm not sure who actually came out and got it, but I remember that someone did, and I remember how big of a deal that it was with everyone on the point.....
Old 09-25-2014, 08:03 AM   #6
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougNH View Post
Hi, long time reader but I do not post much. We are on Meredith Bay (used to be on Greens Basin) for the past 6 years (part time).

We had a dead deer at our dock in the water the other day and the Fish and Game Dept was called. We were not around so a neighbor called. I was told they came out the next day and apparently haul it out into the lake, gutted it and let it sink to the bottom.

Not sure what one would do with a dead water logged deer but I thought they would haul it out and disposed of it in some other fashion.
This actually doesn't surprise me... If the deer was in the water, I am sure Fish and Game, didn't want to drag the carcase over your or your neighbors property.

If they hauled out into deep water, gutted the animal, it will sink to the bottom and become fish food. Also by gutting the animal they took all the important organs, and will analyze them looking for any issues.

Although my guess is the deer got out into the lake swimming, got disoriented, and drowned.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougNH View Post

We saw Fish & Game do the same thing a number of years ago with a deer carcass that washed up near the West Alton sandbar. They pulled it out between Treasure and Ship Islands and sank it there with some sort of weight.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
jacka82942

Default Iwas the one

who called animal control and then showed him where it was next to one of the docks. his plan was to get his boat,tow it into the middle of the lake,gut it and then let it sink. it was gone today
jacka82942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:33 PM   #9
wynndog

Who can tell me what fish (except piranha), can devour a deer carcass like the animals on land?
wynndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:09 PM   #10
jkjoshuatree

Default Wynndog...

...given enough time any number of fish could devour it.

On the documentary "Planet Earth", over the course of a year (forget the exact amount of time) fish and eels ate an entire gray whale.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:31 PM   #11
wynndog

I don't think a whale has hair. I've seen in the woods nothing left but a couple bones,which hunters said would be eaten also.
wynndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:51 PM   #12
JasonG

About 10 years ago I was coming up slowly in Meredith Bay in our boat toward the town docks when my wife noticed a deer swimming across a wide part of the bay.

Then we noticed the Mt Washington about 1/2 mile behind us, headed toward the deer. Really no way to know if the captain would have seen that small deer head at a dusky time moving slowly across the day. So we positioned ourselves between the deer and the mount to prevent a collision.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JasonG For This Useful Post:
ApS (10-01-2014), BaileyBecca (10-01-2014), dpg (10-10-2014), Misha888 (10-02-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 12:04 PM   #13
glennsteely

Talking JasonG.....

You are a brave soul.....I would have let the deer take its chances.....I wouldn't tangle with The Mount at operational speed....that deer would have been on it's own!!
Old 10-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #14
bt99

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynndog View Post
Who can tell me what fish (except piranha), can devour a deer carcass like the animals on land?
There's also some good size snapping turtles in the lake. Had the nieces and nephews up one weekend this summer. They came running up off the dock, saying they saw a monster in the lake. When I got down to the dock, didn't see anything. About a month later, I was fishing off the dock, when I looked down, there was a large snapping turtle passing under the dock. It came up for air along side the boat. Side to side the shell was more than 24".

Good thing the kids weren't in the water when that thing came swimming by.
bt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bt99 For This Useful Post:
Misha888 (10-02-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 06:36 AM   #15
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote