Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-31-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
DC Pointer

Default Legal to pull skier, tube at dusk?

So the last couple of weekends I have noticed the same boat in my cove pulling a skier, or tube or whatever at dusk or just past? He has his running lights on, but common sense tells me this isn't a good idea? Last weekend it was almost completely dark and he was doing this without his running lights on. Seems like he was doing two things wrong. At least tonight he has his lights on? What is the law here?
DC Pointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
TomC

Default not allowed

if the lights need to be on, there can't be a skier (tuber)
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
Skip

Default Sunset to sunrise restriction....

TomC is correct, without express permission from safety you cannot water ski from sunset to sunrise, the same period that coincides with nav light requirements.

270-D:3 Motorboats Towing Water Skiers and Aquaplanes. –

...IV. Except in connection with water events and exhibitions authorized by the director, no towing of water skiers, aquaplanes or similar devices shall be conducted during the period between sunset and sunrise...
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
DC Pointer

Thanks for the explanation. Seemingly common sense is commensurate with the law in this case. He's still out there as we speak. It just isn't safe, I feel like saying something, but none of my business really. Maybe I just stay quiet. Suggestions? He is a neighbor of mine.
DC Pointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
Skip

Smile Be neighborly with some friendly advice...

I would just ask him if he was aware that skiing after dark was not allowed, in a friendly "did you know?" neighborly manner.

It is amazing how many good people honestly are not aware of the myriad of regulations that face them every day.

If he isn't aware, he should appreciate the fact you gave him a heads up.

If he is aware and is just ignoring the rule, then at least you will feel better that you tried to help.

This all presumes that you have a friendly rapport with your neighbor and you are confident your suggestion won't provoke an angry response.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
jeffk

I ditto Skip's answer. The law is there because this is dangerous. If you tell them in a "by the way, did you know ..." manner You have been helpful. What they do with the information is up to them.

If they don't stop and get tagged by the MP they'll probably blame you for turning them in.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:43 PM   #7
bigRazor

Technically he's towing so he should have the yellow light on his stern and nav lights on the tube. Then he'd be legal...
bigRazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:16 AM   #8
skprbob

Sorry, but bigRazor is incorrect. The RSA Skip quoted covers the situation and does not leave room for towing lights, etc. It prohibits towing between sunset and sunrise, period. As TomC also points out, if it's time for lights, it's time to stop towing.
skprbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:03 AM   #9
Island Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Pointer View Post
Thanks for the explanation. Seemingly common sense is commensurate with the law in this case. He's still out there as we speak. It just isn't safe, I feel like saying something, but none of my business really. Maybe I just stay quiet. Suggestions? He is a neighbor of mine.
Sometimes it's hard to tell someone they're doing something wrong/illegal/dangerous without sounding pedantic. Instead, you could praise him for his ability not to get caught doing it, i.e. "wow, you're lucky you haven't been caught pulling that tube after sunset. I saw two boats get pulled over last week for the same thing."