Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
Meredith lady

Default College Guy Needs Car!!

My son Ryan is a senior at the University of New England in Biddeford, Maine. His car had some serious issues last month and I have been advised by several mechanics not to put money into the extensive repairs. I have moved him to Maine, but he is without a vehicle. He has two jobs (one on campus and one off), has an internship, plays rugby, and carries a full course schedule. I am a single Mom and cannot afford much. I am looking for a vehicle for him but am having no luck. The minute I say "something very inexpensive to get him through the school year" or "something that will pass inspection" I am shown the door. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Meredith lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
Pineedles

I would try Craigslist.org. Do a search for cars and trucks in new hampshire. I saw one when I checked.

2005 Nissan Altima SE Price: $2,700

Here's the link for this one. http://nh.craigslist.org/ctd/1945219325.html

There are listings for even cheaper cars than this one. Good luck.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
Meredith lady (09-09-2010)
Old 09-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
CGI3

Be careful on craigslist. If it sounds to good to be true, it is absolutely a scam ad. Try to respond to that ad, and I guaranty that the car is overseas, or in another state. They will want you to wire them money via western union, and then ship it to you free of charge. DON'T FALL FOR IT!! Check it out. If has not already been "flagged for removal" Typical nigerian scam.
CGI3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
Meredith lady

Default Hey AW

I tried to send you a PM but it says your "storage" for messages is full...anyway you can clear them so my message can go through?
Old 09-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
CGI3

Default Craiglist scam

I contacted the seller of the Nissan Altima. This is the response I received:
Hello,

Thanks for being interested in buying my 2005 Nissan Altima SE. It is in immaculate conditions with only 89,210 Highway Miles.
It is FULLY LOADED including all power equipment, Bose Sound System, Leather interior, heated seats, Power Sunroof, and much more. It also has the REMOTE START to allow you to start if from a distance.
The price is not negotiable $2,700.00 firm.

I want to take the opportunity to assure you that this deal is 100% legitimate, the financial part of this deal will be managed by the eBay's buyers protection program (They are acting like a third party in our deal).Which means that the payment will be handling by eBay and you will benefit of 15 inspection time period and the option to accept or reject the car on my expense.

The car will be shipped from New Castle, Delaware on my expense and will be delivered directly to your door in 4-5 days.

Here are the pictures with the car: http://s870.photobucket.com/albums/a...view=slideshow
I can send you more details but please get back to me asap if you have cash money and if you are ready to buy.
Thank you,
Anne Barrett

Why not list for sale in New Castle, Delaware??? Again, be very, very careful. If it sounds to good to be true.......
CGI3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith lady View Post
I tried to send you a PM but it says your "storage" for messages is full...anyway you can clear them so my message can go through?
Sorry about that - I cleaned my "office" - try again please.

By the way - My niece is a Freshman this year at UNE. We make frequent trips to Biddeford to visit!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
Meredith lady

Ryan is a senior and has done so well. UNE is a great school! I will re-send my message. Thank you for your help!
Old 09-10-2010, 07:34 AM   #8
Pineedles

Thanks CGI3 for doing some leg work. It is unfortunate that there are so many scammers on craigslist and you obviously have found one. There are however legit ones as well. I used craigslist to get rid of my unwanted above ground pool. It took a couple of no shows before I had a guy and his girlfriend come to take down and carry away the pool. I saved myself $500, which my landscaper wanted for taking the pool away. Bottom line, you have to be careful but not all ads are fraudulent.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
fatlazyless

My 1999 Ford Contour-185k miles-4 cyl-5 speed-ac-cruise-cassette am fm is for sale for 400 dollars. It will not pass the September 2010 state inspection due a number of reasons including brakes, front end suspension, and exhaust, but the engine has no oil leaks and the manual tranny run good. Good outside paint, and good body except for one or two small rust areas on the frame area below the back seat doors, good interior condition. Will not start except by rolling it down a hill and letting the clutch out in first gear but NH has plenty hills so not a big problemo!

Price $400 or best offer.

For what it's worth, I got this car through Craigslist-New Hampshire for $1500 in January 2008 with 110,000 miles at the time.

Other than Bullseye Recyclers on Rt 107 in Laconia, where to go to get it sold for junk for $125 or so if I cannot sell it by the end of September?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-10-2010 at 08:22 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:11 AM   #10
RailroadJoe

If you can not test drive the car, don't even think about buying it. Try E-Bay. Believe it or not, I bought a 2000 Kia Sportage from a women in Gilmanton, test drove it in Alton and bought it. It is still being used by a step daughter with over 140,000 miles. Try the closest to home option.
Always test drive a car. The other is definitly a scam and you should notify Craigs list.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #11
GTO

Default so true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGI3 View Post
Be careful on craigslist. If it sounds to good to be true, it is absolutely a scam ad. Try to respond to that ad, and I guaranty that the car is overseas, or in another state. They will want you to wire them money via western union, and then ship it to you free of charge. DON'T FALL FOR IT!! Check it out. If has not already been "flagged for removal" Typical nigerian scam.

Good warning for anyone buying on Craigslist or Ebay. The scammers are out there, and its not just the high priced items, such as cars, etc. I have sold my fair share of items on Craigslist and Ebay (sporting goods, water skiis etc) and you get pretty good about what to respond to and what not too. On craigslist, always buy local! The Nigerian scammers are right in our backyards and they are looking for suckers with everything we post online to sell. Don't believe me, put an item up for sale, make it a couch and love seat. Guaranteed, you'll see a scammer contacting you, saying they will arrange for a mover to come pick up the set and then will ask you for your info.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #12
ironhorsetim

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
It will not pass the September 2010 state inspection due a number of reasons
Did you miss that point in the question just askin

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #13
dpg

ok so I'm stupid but why does everyone think the Graigs list car is a scam? Because it's shipping from so far? My first thought was it would almost cost the price of the car to ship it.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #14
fatlazyless

Over on Route 3/25 in Center Harbor, just a wee bit north of the Paquette sign business, there's a beige 1998 Ford Taurus for sale for $1900 with about 85k miles that looks to be in pretty good condition. It's been sitting with a for sale sign for over a month.

Just say to the seller:" I am only going to make you one offer, if you do not take it then there will be no counter offer. I offer you $1500, cash money, which is all I can afford right now.......thankyou very much....." If they say 'no way' then say 'sorry' and leave......& hopefully they will chase after you and say okay, okay.....$1500 ......it's a deal..... or maybe to return in a week or two....plus it helps to dress down in some worn-out clothes and drive up in an old junker-clunker....well, good golly!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-10-2010 at 06:09 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
Meredith lady (09-10-2010)
Old 09-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #15
patman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
ok so I'm stupid but why does everyone think the Graigs list car is a scam?
1) too good to be true
2) bad english
3) "assure you that this deal is 100% legitimate" - why was it important to mention this?
4) "the financial part of this deal will be managed by the eBay's buyers protection program" - not unless you're buying it through eBay it won't
5) "car will be shipped" = you can't see it beforehand
6) "on my expense and will be delivered directly to your door" = how does the seller know how much it will cost to ship if they don't know where you live? Unreasonable.
7) signature name doesn't match name on photobucket account (katherinnwt) and probably doesn't match the sender's email either.

I could go on...
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #16
kauriel

Craiglist is a great resource, but you have to be very careful of scammers. As noted on Craigslist, do not purchase anything that involves wiring $ or shipping products.

I recently sold a vehicle on craigslist and was targeted by at least 3 scams:
1) sent me a message appearing to be from craiglist stating my account was flagged or something and I needed to login to reactivate. NEVER put in your username or password after clicking a link. I went directly to craigslist.org and logged in to find that there were no problems with my account.

2) sent me a link asking me to confirm the vehicle. I had pictures up so I didn't click the link since it was likely a virus.

3) I received several offers to wire $ to buy the truck. I didn't respond because I am aware of scam: you receive payment, release vehicle, then your payment is sucked back because it was fraudulent.

Craigslist has led to many good sales and buys, but you have to be careful! Good luck!!!
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #17
pops

I have bought and sold alot of cars/snowmobiles on craigslist and ebay. The old adage of "if it's to good to be true" holds true always.
Never buy a vehical with out personaly looking at it.

The other thing that these low lifes do is a thing called Phishing. They set up a fake ad and get access to your e-mail when you reply.

Another option would be Capitol auto auction in Manchester. They have auctions open to the public every Saturday and Wednesday. We have bought a few cars there and always had good luck. Disclaimer...Take someone with you that is car savy.
If anything it's fun to watch the auction. The crowd is very diverse and english is a second language. They love the hondas,nissans and toyotas.
All others go for short money.

Pop's
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #18
AB_Monterey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGI3 View Post
I contacted the seller of the Nissan Altima. This is the response I received:
Hello,

Thanks for being interested in buying my 2005 Nissan Altima SE. It is in immaculate conditions with only 89,210 Highway Miles.
It is FULLY LOADED including all power equipment, Bose Sound System, Leather interior, heated seats, Power Sunroof, and much more. It also has the REMOTE START to allow you to start if from a distance.
The price is not negotiable $2,700.00 firm.

I want to take the opportunity to assure you that this deal is 100% legitimate, the financial part of this deal will be managed by the eBay's buyers protection program (They are acting like a third party in our deal).Which means that the payment will be handling by eBay and you will benefit of 15 inspection time period and the option to accept or reject the car on my expense.

The car will be shipped from New Castle, Delaware on my expense and will be delivered directly to your door in 4-5 days.

Here are the pictures with the car: http://s870.photobucket.com/albums/a...view=slideshow
I can send you more details but please get back to me asap if you have cash money and if you are ready to buy.
Thank you,
Anne Barrett

Why not list for sale in New Castle, Delaware??? Again, be very, very careful. If it sounds to good to be true.......
That is a classic scam. I can't believe it still works.

They list the car in NH but then tell you that it's somewhere out of state. Seen it a million times.

Try this, respond and tell them that you have a friend that lives near New Castle and could they come over and take a look.

I'll bet that's not an option.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote