Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
Chickie

Default Memorial Day Thoughts

In 1880 the G.A.R. Darius A. Drake, Post 36 erected a monument at Bayside Cemetery and the inscription on one side reads, "The Town of Gilford. To Her Fallen Heroes". When we were kids the Laconia High School band used to be bused up to Bayside. They would march to the obelisk, where a short ceremony and the laying of a wreath took place. There would be a 21 gun salute and the playing of "Nearer My God to Thee" at the end. It was part of our Memorial Day tradition to bike up there to attend. It was held early in the morning - 7:30 or 8:00, as the band would then proceed to Union Cemetery and take part in the parade. We made it a point to get there on time.

While at Bayside this past week, I wandered over to the G.A.R. monument and was saddened to see it looking so forlorn on Memorial Day - not even a small flag flying at its base. Yes, I know times have changed, but it is sad when we lose sight of our past, as it is so much a part of our heritage. Though these fallen heroes have all left this earth, it would be nice to know they are still remembered on Memorial Day.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote