Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
CateP

Default Share a Sailboat-An Unusual Suggestion

Hi Boaters!!
As some of you may know, my partner and I are moving up to the lakes region as soon as we sell our NJ house. (Hopefully soon!!)

Meanwhile, I have my 1983 Catalina-25 up for sale here in NJ. The reason why I am selling this beautiful, fully restored, and upgraded sailboat is because we are trying to reduce expenses and the costs for storing it year-after-year have become prohibitive.

BUT, I am wondering if I were to SHARE my sailboat with someone else in NH who could pay for half of the storage and maintenance costs, if that would be a good solution. I would have the boat moved up from NJ (and would want to share that expense as well.) The benefit would be that someone could use a great sailboat on the big lake for a minimal cost.

Ideally I would like to have a slip at Fay's with shore power.

Of course a detailed written agreement would have to be drawn up, but I'm sure my friend Cpt. Philpot could help with that.

What do you forum members think of this idea? I would love to keep my beautiful "Mysterious " and sail it in the clean, clear waters of Winnipesaukee.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
fatlazyless

Instead of a boat slip, how's about tying your 25' sailboat to a mooring that's located maybe 150' from the shore, in about 8' depth of water? For about 25-dollars/years, a waterfront homeowner can apply to the Marine Patrol for a mooring permit, and it's common practice for large sailboats to be moored on a mooring.
CateP (05-03-2011)
Old 05-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Did you check prices here?

Cate, just curious if you have checked on the cost to dock and store here in NH? It seems that you love the boat, and the cost to move it up here may be significantly cheaper than buying a new boat.

You and Tracy would be able to enjoy off time here on the lake, and then down the road get a small pontoon or another small sailboat to trailer to other lakes.

Just a thought.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Cate, just curious if you have checked on the cost to dock and store here in NH? It seems that you love the boat, and the cost to move it up here may be significantly cheaper than buying a new boat.

You and Tracy would be able to enjoy off time here on the lake, and then down the road get a small pontoon or another small sailboat to trailer to other lakes.

Just a thought.
I called Fay's and I'm looking at about $3400 a year for storage. (Open slip-not interested in mooring) Cost to move it up there is about $2000. Starts to get pricey.

I wouldn't buy another big sailboat in NH. I have a little Sunfish on a trailer now and we will probably rent a pontoon until we decide whether we want to own one or not. We may just get a little fishing boat with a small motor (25hp) to go on the smaller lakes.

I have been preparing to sell the Catalina-25 for awhile now, but I'm just exploring options.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
I called Fay's and I'm looking at about $3400 a year for storage. (Open slip-not interested in mooring) Cost to move it up there is about $2000. Starts to get pricey.

I wouldn't buy another big sailboat in NH. I have a little Sunfish on a trailer now and we will probably rent a pontoon until we decide whether we want to own one or not. We may just get a little fishing boat with a small motor (25hp) to go on the smaller lakes.

I have been preparing to sell the Catalina-25 for awhile now, but I'm just exploring options.
Nice boat Cate. I had a 23' once upon a time.

Interesting how much cheaper your slip is in NJ, $1,300? Did I read that right?
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
Nice boat Cate. I had a 23' once upon a time.

Interesting how much cheaper your slip is in NJ, $1,300? Did I read that right?
I pay $1600 for my summer slip, but am offering a discount to buyers. I used to pay $2500 for the summer , but moved farther south where things are cheaper. We have insane boat traffic and ugly brown water where we sail so it's not a sailing mecca here.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
jrc

You can do a lot better than $3400 for a 25 x 8 foot boat this year. Of course Fay's does offer that yacht club luxury that's hard to beat

Call Glendale YC, Gilford YC and Spinaker Cove YC at least, I bet you do a bunch better.

I think you would have to ask yourself if spending $2000 to move a $8000 boat is a good move. If you can sell your's then buy a replacement here you would probably do better financially. But of course your boat is your boat and it looks very well kept.

Of course your original question is tough, obviously you need a rock-solid legal contract to cover liability and expenses. You need a wider audience, this board is not chock full of sailors, maybe these guys can help you find kindred spirits:

http://www.lwsa.org/

You could also try Craig's list but who knows what will come of that.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
CateP (05-04-2011)