Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-23-2011, 06:01 AM   #1
Boardwalk North

Default Solar Trickle Charger?

I'm debating whether to get a solar or AC (plug-in) trickle charger for my boat. I would have to run a long extension cord out to my dock if I was to use a non-solar unit so it seems like the answer is obvious.

Any comments? Suggestions or recommendations?

Many thanks,
Jon
Boardwalk North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:03 AM   #2
MarkinNH

For extended use, consider using a battery maintainer vs. a straight trickle charger. They are much better in the long run for the life of the battery I have used several brands and have found this particular one to work as good as those twice it's price.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-B...3558954&sr=8-1

The only downside would be the need of a long extension cord or a suitable solar power supply which can get quite expensve.
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
Boardwalk North

Default What is the difference?

MarkinNH - thanks for the information. Can you tell me anything about the difference between a "maintainer" and a "trickle charger"?

Thanks,
Jon
Boardwalk North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
MarkinNH

Give this a quick read.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7646389_di...e-charger.html

It can explain it easier and quicker then I can try to type it.
I use several maintainers / tenders for vehicle and boat batteries year round with excellant results.
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default They Work Great!

I have been using these for a couple years now and they do a great job at maintaining your battery. I have a 5 watt one made by "Sunforce" built right in the side of my snowmobile trailer and it keeps my snowmobile battery up to charge all summer.

I also have one on each of my boats. They are very small and portable so I simply lay them in a south facing sunny section of the boat and attach the alligator clips to the batteries. You can also use the cigarette lighter / 12Volt accessory adapter and charge through that, this is probably more convenient but I have more faith going direct to the battery. Also, charger does need to be outside the boat, it works fine collecting the suns rays through the windshield or plastic windows of an enclosure.

The 5 watt one I have has built in overcharge / discharge protection which prevents overcharging and reverse current drain.

One thing I do recommend is to make sure you buy one for exterior use that is waterproof. Many of the small ones are NOT waterproof. The 5 watt ones I use are waterproof and sell for about $40.00 each at Amazon if you buy a two pack. Once you try one you will buy more as they are extremely handy for keeping all your batteries up to charge. I also attached one to the South side of my shed to keep my generators batteries charged. They work great!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 04-23-2011 at 10:12 AM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
NoBozo

Default Danger Danger

I can't speak for Solar battery chargers on a boat left in the water.

However: Using an automotive battery charger/maintainer on a boat left in the water, with an "extension cord" to shore is a DEFINITE NO NO. This practice may very well lead to Electrolysis of the boats inboard/outboard parts such as propellers and thru hull fittings on "strait inboards" and more particularly the aluminum parts on Outdrives. The outdrive is made of aluminum.

If Electrolysis occurs, aluminum parts in particular, will begin to Dissolve in a very short time. The sacrificial anodes (little unpainted collars on the outdrive lift cylinders) will go first and in a rapid manner and then the aluminum parts.

The ONLY way to maintain/charge a battery in a boat left in the water is this:

1. Disconnect one of the battery cables (The black one) from the battery post in the boat to Isolate it electrically from the rest of the boat when charging.

2. AND: Use a marine approved "Shore Power" recepticle, hard wired on the dock by a Licenced Marine Electrician. Just because your extension cord seems to work does not mean everything is wired correctly...and compatible.

The battery in a boat is no different than a battery in your car when it comes to maintenence. You can leave your car unused for weeks and it will start if the battery is in good condition. The ONLY thing different on the boat is if the Bilge Pump runs a lot..which it should not. If it does, find some way to prevent the intrusion of rain water, or fix the boat leak. Just sayin.. NB

PS: When you leave the boat..Always double check that the running lights are not ON. It's easy to bump a switch and acidently turn on the lights when exiting one of the front seats.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
AB_Monterey (04-23-2011)