Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2005, 03:46 PM   #1
Island Girl

Default Things I learned at the lake....

Please contribute to this thread... some things you learned at the lake; a tip, a new skill, etc.

This season I learned that you can freeze potato chips. At the end of a weekend it is always a dilemma as to what food to leave and what to bring home. Bread items always go in the freezer, milk and lettuce goes home. Potato chips have always been left, but then get soft and stale. Bringing food home is a pain because from the island, everything goes by boat.

This year IslandSib put the opened bag, tightly shut with a twist tie in the freezer. We figured it would either work or we would throw them out as usual.

Well.. to our surprise they kept extremely well. Now there are always chips around if needed and they never go bad.

What have you learned at the lake?

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Island Girl For This Useful Post:
tricia1218 (04-25-2012)
Old 06-10-2005, 05:31 PM   #2
Misty Blue

Default Things that I learned...

Moth balls will keep the chipmunks out of your closets, pantry, boat etc. over the winter and when you come up in the spring you can use them to start your fire!

And...Oh Yea, NEVER lick a stake knife!

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 07:46 PM   #3
KBoater

Default Potato Chips and things.

My solution to the potato chip problem is to buy several tight sealing canisters and empty the chips into the canister as soon as opened. This works in FL where we have major humidity and in NH. Try it with pretzels.
I have frozen milk, butter, some cheese, and bread. Try everything you want at least once.

I also found out this winter that a totally wired security system which senses water, cold, heat and entry it worth it’s weight in payments. I had the water and entry sensors go off this winter. The water was caught before and real damage was done and the entry sensor showed that a slider was not properly closed and the wind opened it.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:19 PM   #4
trfour

Post "I think your pretty and wonderfu"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl
Please contribute to this thread... some things you learned at the lake; a tip, a new skill, etc.

This season I learned that you can freeze potato chips. At the end of a weekend it is always a dilemma as to what food to leave and what to bring home. Bread items always go in the freezer, milk and lettuce goes home. Potato chips have always been left, but then get soft and stale. Bringing food home is a pain because from the island, everything goes by boat.

This year IslandSib put the opened bag, tightly shut with a twist tie in the freezer. We figured it would either work or we would throw them out as usual.

Well.. to our surprise they kept extremely well. Now there are always chips around if needed and they never go bad.

On the grille.

Add some flavor to your cookout favorite as in; Apple, Cheery, Peach wood chips, and the sky out here is no limmit!

Love,
T

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 06-10-2005 at 08:30 PM.
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 07:17 AM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue
And...Oh Yea, NEVER lick a stake knife!

Misty Blue.
Talk about a lead-in to an entirely different thread. Captions could be something like " how many stitches have you had in your tongue?" or "Reasons why sword swallowers are worth every penny they charge". Ouch, Misty Blue!(psssst: turn the sharp edge away from you !)

[Quote=Flboater] My solution to the potato chip problem is to buy several tight sealing canisters and empty the chips into the canister as soon as opened.

We used to get Potato Chips from Granite State Potato Chip Co in Salem NH, Rte 28 N of Rockingham, and they sold them in bags, but also in cannisters that you could bring back in for a refill (not free). Haven/t been there in years, so I don't know if they still do that, but I agree, it works and works well. At Christmas time, many places sell popcorn in decorator tins with three kinds of popcorn, and you can save those, clean them out and use them...attractive to look at and purposefull too.

Motion detector lights (I hesitate to do this, so don't start a whole new thread in this thread!) on the outside of the house and/or garage rather than those mercury vapor lights that are on from dusk to dawn. Far less light pollution and energy saving to boot. If placed well, you will be able to go out at night into the yard to see NH's fine starry sky, northern lights, incoming lightning storms, etc., and still provide good security and safety to your property.

Finally, this time of year, when driving a golf cart, motorcycle, bicycle, boat, or when running, walking, or standing outside, and your face is exposed to the elements, keep you mouth closed tightly or you will eat an amount of black flies equivilent in weight to one of Waldo Pepper's double stuffed Lobster Roll!
Old 06-11-2005, 10:56 AM   #6
glennsteely

Default Tomato Juice Does Not Work For Skunk!!!!

When I was about 12 or 13 years old, my dog and I got sprayed at the picnic area at Spindle Point. I just got the indirect spray (was bad enough) but my dog took it in the face. Tomato juice did nothing to rid either of us of the smell.
Lesson learned.....

Also, dont try to pull porqupine quills out of a dogs face, they are barbed and will cause serious pain and damage to your animals face, and the dog might cause damage to you if he bites!!
Lesson learned.....

Rocks in the lake that you cant see, will damage your boats outdrive and prop!!
Lesson learned.....

Corn grows in other states besides New Jersey, as well as strawberries, and some pretty darn good tomatos!!
Lesson learned.....

I have learned tons of things in New Hampshire, some I wished I hadnt, but none of which I would trade for anything in the world. Lessons learned at the lake are things I would never forget.....ever!
Old 06-11-2005, 11:57 AM   #7
nym3007

Default What I have learned

1.People are nicer up at the Lakes Region than people are in New york.

2. The water is blue and does not smell like sewage

3. Most cars let you cross at Weirs Beach while cars in NY make you play human dodgeball

4. No one beeps thier horns

5. You dont have to lock your cars when u go into stores unless its an empty area.

6. People driver slower than in NY where they try to run you off the road

7. The beautful Lake Winni makes you want to comeback for more

37 days and counting woooo hoooooooooooooooooooo!!!
nym3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 03:12 PM   #8
gtxrider

Default Things learned?

1. Duck itch is real!

2. How to fix and outboard.

3. Water Skiing!

4. Horses have a mind of their own

5. I learned a bunch of stuff but I forgot. Such as launching about without a plug is not a good idea. Did the same thing later back home.

6. Don't eat an ice cream cone in the back of a dune buggy unless U want an ice cream shower.

7. Smallmouth are great fighters.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 03:37 PM   #9
KPW

Upthesaukee - Granite State Potato Chips is still there and they still do refills.

Lessons learned:

How to change a fuel filter, spark plugs, lower gear oil - basically how to save $100.00 plus for a tune-up.

The best way to start a camp fire - fold newspaper in half diagonally, roll up loosely and tie in a knot. Place a few of these in an empty 12 pack (soda or beer). Makes a great fire starter.

Soaking spark plugs (from an outboard that spent 6 months under water) in turpentine will get the motor to start on the first pull.

Take a banana, make a slit in it with skin on, place marshmallows and chocolate, wrap in aluminum foil and place on the campfire. MMMMM.

Island people are some, if not the, nicest, friendliest, most helpful people I know.

So many more things that I can't think of right now.

What a great thread Island Girl

Last edited by KPW; 06-11-2005 at 03:39 PM. Reason: no title
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:38 AM   #10
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default $$$$

Any cottage project takes longer and costs more than originally anticipated.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Heading4thelake (04-26-2012)
Old 06-12-2005, 02:51 PM   #11
jeffk

Default Clip everything on

Lessons learned

When around the water either remove glasses or use clip on straps. Straps didn't help when a lens popped out once. On land you just pick it up, in water good luck. One pair glasses lost, one lens lost.

Clip your hat onto your shirt when boating. 2 hats lost, several requiring retrieval.

Stow EVERYTHING on a boat before you get moving. The wind acts like a big vacuum cleaner and pulls everything into the air. So far things lost or almost lost: clothes, towels, plastic bags, life jackets, bowls, ...

Do outside work as soon as possible after mud season or late fall so the bugs don't drive you crazy.

Always check that your water craft will start (and that drain plugs are in) BEFORE you launch them.

Any vehicle that starts off a battery will end up with a dead battery more often that you expect, even if it worked fine the week before. The smaller the battery the more likely this is (i.e. jet skis and snowmobiles will have dead batteries often).

For some inexplicable reason the gas fillup access on watercraft can't be designed to not overflow when filling the tank. Gas will always spit back into the water and on your boat. They can use technology to fix all sorts of problems but this seems beyond anyone's ability to address.

When you are playing on a jet ski and doing 360s you can become dizzy and disoriented.

Running over rocks is not good for your boat. The rocks always win. I wouldn't bother to mention it but so many people keep doing this every year that I'm assuming that they haven't figured it out yet.

The water in the lake is very cold in the winter. (Really!)(My wife can personally vouch for this.)(I'm willing to take her word for it.)

If you don't take time every now and then (hopefully more now than then) to just sit quietly along the shore and soak in the ambiance you really don't understand what the lake is all about.

Once in a while at night, when the lake is very still and the sky is very clear, the entire sky, with all the stars, will be reflected in the lake. WOW. It takes your breath away. It's hard to believe that anything can be that beautiful and that you are so privileged to be able to see it.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
ClosetExtrovert (05-02-2012)
Old 06-12-2005, 10:40 PM   #12
JL Girl

Gosh, Island Girl, what a great thread. I've loved reading the replies and have learned some more new things already!

Across 3 years of living here full time and 20 years of vacationing here, here's some of the things I've learned at the lake:

The beauty of the place (the lake, woods, stone walls, etc.) jumps out at you at unexpected times, filling your heart with contentment and especially wonder at how it was all fashioned over the years

There is a small home town feel to its towns where people know you and treat you courteously and with kindness and generosity, including merchants that will sometimes just give you a length of wire instead of making you pay for it

If you don’t close the windows when you go out, that there will be a rain storm

Coffee out at the picnic table or on the deck or down at the dock tastes better

There is a freshness to the air that makes you take deep breaths

There will inevitably be a loon somewhere, sometime, welcoming you back or saying goodbye with that haunting tremolo

You don’t need a TV or a VCR here to be entertained - there's cards, board games or like Jeffk says, just sitting and drinking in the beauty of our lake and land

If you take a spoon and put small dobs of coffe ice cream and chocolate ice cream in a sugar cone (Keebler’s sugar cones are the best), then top with a scoop of both, you have New England’s favorite flavor – mocha - and an ice cream cone that lasts to the very end!

Grocery store empty plastic bags are great for dirty clothes and underwear, wet bathing suits, garbage until there’s enough to put in the trash can or dumpster (assuming you have no disposal), transporting things here and there, etc. Also, if you fold one lengthwise and then crosswise a couple of times, they take up little space and you can store them in a fully opened bag in the closet.

If it’s a humid summer, you can take a bunch of white chalk and tie a string around the bunch about halfway down the middle and then hang it in the clothes closet, it will keep your clothes from getting damp and smelling musty.

The 100% surefire way to remove marks on a painted wall is Mr. Clean’s Magic Eraser found in grocery cleaning products aisle (after a week’s vacation, marks are bound to occur and this is great.)
JL Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:42 AM   #13
tricia1218

I learned If you are going to mess arounds as a kid on a floating dock, you will fall in the water.
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:00 AM   #14
WakeUp

Default Thinigs Learned...

1) My boat drinks more than I do.

2) Assume other boaters do not know the laws.

3) There are times when the infamous "Table for 1 " salute is warranted.

Things I'm still trying to figure out:

1) Why we park in a 'driveway.'
2) Why we drive on a 'Parkway.'
3) When you send something by ship it is called "cargo."
4) When you send something by truck it is called a "shipment."
WakeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:22 PM   #15
Frdxplorer

For those Wolfeboro folks out there...

I learned that being prepared sometimes can come back and bite you. I had just enjoyed my last lobster dinner of the year @ Wolfetrap in Back Bay. The sun had set and we were ready to begin out journey under the stars. We inserted the anchor light in its receptacle and did a visual check to make sure things were working. We set out for the open water with only the very low Main Street bridge standing between us and Wolfeboro bay. I quickly learned that anchor lights sometimes rise above of the otherwise highest point on a boat by the nasty sound of our light scratching and bending as the Main Street bridge flexed its mussels. Lesson learned.
Frdxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:31 PM   #16
Zee

Default Lesson Learned

I've learned to yearn for Friday nights and hate Sunday nights! (14 months until we are permanent residents, can't wait)
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:52 PM   #17
lakegirl

Default I've learned....

Plant flowers that don't need alot of water (unless you have a mom like mine who waters all your plants)

Gas is cheaper up North....

Make sure you walk your dog before you start your long haul up the lake...

Don't forget to turn the cable on (god forbid we miss the sox game)!!!

Don't open the windows if you have a two year old.... you will have to stop to find the toys they trow out the window ( that happend to us on Route 3 heading up the lake a few weeks ago!!!)
Old 06-13-2005, 08:03 PM   #18
jkjoshuatree

Smile I've Learned...

-How to kiss a girl (I think)

-How to swim

-How to roast marshmellows

-How to drive a boat

-How to wash dishes (no dishwasher on the island)

-My way around the lake at night (amazes friends-they don't get how I do it)

-Freshwater mussels don't taste very good

-The stars are brighter,the people are nicer,and the pace is slower at the lake

-How forunate I am to have a place so majestic and grand in my life.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:22 AM   #19
CEP

Default I've learned!

-Objects in the lake water look closer than they really are!!

-Sleeping in a camp with a metal roof, will put me in la,la land very fast!

-Squirrels running and dropping acorns on a metal roof at 7am, annoying!

-Don't poke a crawfish with your fingure! OOuuch!

-Running across the Mounts wake to fast will turn a small boat into a
submarine!!!

-and the best thing I've learned is to be very careful walking around
bare footed, when someone throughs down a lighted cigarette!

CEP
CEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 04:26 PM   #20
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs up Great Thread! Give Us More!

Great thread IG!

Some things we have learned:

There are never any leftover potato chips to freeze. (Good to know, just in case.)

If there’s a power failure and you have a running electric toilet - get the ash pan out of the house A.S.A.P.!!!

Plastic storage totes that stack are a great way to get things to the lake.
(10 or 18 gallon size? – just larger than a laundry basket, about $4 - $5 at Wal-Mart. Sterilite or Rubbermaid Roughneck.)
Keeps things dry in case of waves or rain. Be sure to latch them! The covers are hard to find in the water.
Bread items can be packed at the top and doesn’t get squashed.
They can be stacked into each other after unloading.
Stacking two with the covers on doubles as extra counter space and it’s handy to pack things for the return trip.
A grill with a burner is fantastic.
When it’s hot you can still have spaghetti and meatballs etc. without heating up the camp.

Installing a thermometer on the grill enables you to bake on the grill with ease.

Foil bags are great – no pots and pans to wash!

Before using grill, clean with brush then spray with canola or vegetable oil to keep things from sticking. (Pam or the like.)

When making Good Seasons dressing, don’t use olive oil. It will get too thick after refrigeration.
Italian is great to put on burgers while cooking, or after for that matter.

Ultra thirsty cloths are great for the boat. Usually found in the car-wash section.
They’re good for drying hair too.

Check your hose clamps prior to your first launch in the spring.
They just might not be secure even though they look it.
Water meant to cool the engine will fill up your boat!

Diluting heavy cream with water for milk recipes result in not having to carry larger milk containers.
Cream also has a longer shelf life.

Installing a UV and carbon water filter should eliminate hauling water.
(Now if they would just install it!)

A can crusher is a necessity, line the bag with a newspaper to catch any drips.
Be sure to rinse out any sugar drinks or you will draw ants.

Everything is better at the lake.

And refrigerators don’t make good boats.

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 06-14-2005 at 04:50 PM.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 10:57 AM   #21
dpg

Default Things I've Learned

Never and I mean never forget to put the plug in the boat before dropping it in the water! Who me? nah...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 11:28 AM   #22
lakershaker

Default Things I've learned...

That you should always use through the transom screws to attach an outboard engine to your boat.

Oh, and that when an outboard engine flips off the transom, not to try to hold onto it with the steering cable - they are really heavy!
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:40 PM   #23
CableBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg
Never and I mean never forget to put the plug in the boat before dropping it in the water! Who me? nah...
How else do you test your bilge pump? lol been there
CableBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:43 AM   #24
dpg

You can always live without your plug as long as you do not ever stop!!!
Old 06-16-2005, 01:36 PM   #25
Just Sold

Talking Who needs a Bilge Pump?

In my youth at Alton Bay Forum Member John A. Birdsall's boat the "Puddy Tat" accumulated water very quickly (leaks) so he had to beach the boat every night.

So how do you bail the boat in the morning or after being at a dock for a while? Take her out open the throttle wide and remove the drain plug. Worked great every time.

John, I would love to see a photo of the "Puddy Tat" here on the PhotoPost if you have one. It was a cute and unique boat for sure.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:11 AM   #26
Gatto Nero

Time at the lake

Time spent at the lake, no matter how long, is always too short.

Broadband and telecommuting are proof there is a God and he wants us to spend time at the lake.

Staying over Sunday night and driving home on Monday morning is the next best thing to telecommuting.

Guests

It's great to see guests come for a visit.

It's great to see guests go home.

Guests that forget we're on vacation too don't usually get a second chance.

The most helpful thing a guest can bring is a big package of toilet paper.

Not all of your kids friends are guaranteed to know how to swim.

Patience

The amount of time it takes for newbies to get up on water skis increases exponentially with every year I attempt to teach them.

Patience is a virtue that I don't mind working on while I'm here.

Wildlife

Squirrels and chipmunks eat more birdseed than the birds do.

Raccoons aren't afraid of me or anything I can do to try to get rid of them.

Beavers look like seals when seen swimming at night.

Pet Peeve

Light pollution is the only thing I still allow to bug me while I'm sitting by the lake at night.

Helpful Hints

Place the roll of trash bags at the bottom of the barrel so you know where it is when you need it. Thanks Bob.

About a half hour before you leave tell the kids they can't have any potato chips.

One more time.....

Time spent at the lake, no matter how long, is always too short.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:57 PM   #27
Grant

Default One Man Gathers...

While thoroughly detest the fact that people continue to throw garbage in the Lake, I thoroughly enjoy searching for really OLD garbage on the bottom.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:11 PM   #28
looniac

Never straddle a marker when water skiing...
looniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 06:56 PM   #29
Rust Ponder

I've learned that after missing the lake terribly for 24 years, I come back and feel the same way I did when I was 12. To see the lake appear through the thick forest and get down to the end of the dirt drive way and soak it all in. Awesome!
I 've learned that I will come back with my kids every year until I Keel over!

Also if you just move the fridge over a little you will find the mouse that has been causing the smell that prevented you from entering the kitchen.

See you in 25 days!

RP
Rust Ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:10 AM   #30
Grant

Default Red, Black, Red, Black...

Those sparring buoys in "The Graveyard" are there for a reason...
Old 06-21-2005, 11:39 AM   #31
Bear Guy

Default Lessons learned

No matter how old you are, your father will never think you tied the boat up properly.

Not everyone who buys a $30,000 boat will buy a $20 chart, or maybe they just don't use them.

For children, broken propeller pieces are tantamount to sunken treasure.

Every house project requires 3 trips to the hardware store. This may not be a bad thing if there is an ice cream stand next to the store.

Squirrels and mice will find any and all entrances to a cottage, and may even create their own.

A squirrel can climb in through a dryer vent. Once inside, they are capable of chewing through plastic pipe.

When opening the cottage in the spring, check under the sofa for dead mice, before mom starts the spring cleaning.

A sacrificial cotton mop left in a shed will deter mice from entering your cottage over the winter.

When returning from Wolfeboro to Meredith, there will always be a thunderstorm in your way.

Asking for a ride to/from the mainland because you boat is broken will tell you what real neighbors are.

Firewood on the island is a valued commodity, and fallen trees should be collected as soon as they are located.

Cats don't float well.
Bear Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:34 PM   #32
Grant

Default 44 and counting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Guy
No matter how old you are, your father will never think you tied the boat up properly.
So, so, so TRUE. I love it.
Drummer Girl (04-25-2012)
Old 06-21-2005, 01:36 PM   #33
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Ponder
I've learned that after missing the lake terribly for 24 years, I come back and feel the same way I did when I was 12. To see the lake appear through the thick forest and get down to the end of the dirt drive way and soak it all in. Awesome!
I 've learned that I will come back with my kids every year until I Keel over!

Also if you just move the fridge over a little you will find the mouse that has been causing the smell that prevented you from entering the kitchen.

See you in 25 days!

RP
RP -- We grew up together down here, didn't we? When are you headed up? We GOTTA get together.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:03 PM   #34
Rust Ponder

Yea Grant its me....July 15th I will be on Winter Harbor for 2 weeks.
Rust Ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 09:14 PM   #35
trfour

Default OH yes it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennsteely
When I was about 12 or 13 years old, my dog and I got sprayed at the picnic area at Spindle Point. I just got the indirect spray (was bad enough) but my dog took it in the face. Tomato juice did nothing to rid either of us of the smell.
Lesson learned.....

Also, dont try to pull porqupine quills out of a dogs face, they are barbed and will cause serious pain and damage to your animals face, and the dog might cause damage to you if he bites!!
Lesson learned.....

Rocks in the lake that you cant see, will damage your boats outdrive and prop!!
Lesson learned.....

Corn grows in other states besides New Jersey, as well as strawberries, and some pretty darn good tomatos!!
Lesson learned.....

I have learned tons of things in New Hampshire, some I wished I hadnt, but none of which I would trade for anything in the world. Lessons learned at the lake are things I would never forget.....ever!

My Brother Mel and I retuned to our Folks house one evening over in Nashaway, NH. ... after shopping for cars, and encountered a skunk on the portch. .. Mel tryed to nudge it aside,.. and don't you know that that skunk opened up on me!... Well,... my Mom had a very special recipe that inclouded tomato, and I was only an outcast since two years!

Only kidding Worked Awesome!
Love,
T.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:54 AM   #36
ApS

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Guy
Ho boy, does that ring true. I'm thinking this had to be a wood boat?

BTW, folks: There is a "Rust Pond" in Carroll County of the Lakes Region. (This new user-name doesn't relate to the contemplation of iron oxide formation).

Welcome, Rust Ponder!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:37 AM   #37
jkjoshuatree

Talking

[QUOTE=Bear Guy]No matter how old you are, your father will never think you tied the boat up properly.

I was up there this past weekend and I took the boat for a ride. Very slow and peaceful (not a lot of boat traffic). It took me a good ten minutes to the tie the boat up when I got back, making sure I did it exactly as it was before I left.

Sure enough, Dad came down and retied it just after my little sister and I were joking about how none of us will ever be able to get it "right".

I'm 32 by the way. Maybe some day I'll get it right. But I doubt it.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:39 PM   #38
Newbiesaukee

I'm 62 and my father, 88, still reacts the same way. The only difference from my younger years is I have learned to treasure the "criticism." Of course, I never treat my children the same......
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:24 PM   #39
sum-r breeze

Default Splash!

Things I learned at the Lake

1 It's not fun to fall off of your boat into the water of Mountain View Yacht Club.

2 Shower is required after item 1

3 Laughing at yourself after item 1 makes it all go away

4 The sky at the Lake is unlike anyplace on earth Day and Night

5 Friends to raft/barbeque with are Priceless!

6 That warm spot you just swam through was a wide mouth bass with Gas

Hope this helps!
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:35 PM   #40
Dave R

How to swim.

How to drive a boat.

How to catch crayfish with a flashlight and a willingness to walk along a "mucky" bottom in shallow water.

How to fish.

That the markers around Pistol Island are very confusing (only place I've ever dinged a prop on the lake, knock on wood).

That pet rabbits are not at all deterred by a swim if it means getting free (turns out you cannot trap one on the end of a dock...).

That Charlie Roberts (of Roberts Cove) had about the driest sense of humor of any person I ever met.

That many people go to the lake to drink themselves into a stupor every weekend.

That drifting in the middle of the broads watching the sunset with the engine off on a Summer evening is perhaps the most theraputic thing I can do.

That grilled food is 3x better if it's grilled on a boat.

That lots of people are just terrible at putting boats on trailers.

That courtesy is usually rewarded with courtesy.

That some people are insulted if you offer help with docking and that most are not...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 07:37 PM   #41
Lakegeezer

Default The lake is an ecosystem

Don't take lake water quality for granted. Twenty-five years of watching the lake turn from clear to dark water has been disappointing. Educating the next generation about their responsibility of stewardship is important.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:22 AM   #42
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer
Don't take lake water quality for granted. Twenty-five years of watching the lake turn from clear to dark water has been disappointing. Educating the next generation about their responsibility of stewardship is important.
I recall that the lake was cloudier in the 70s. I think it's clearer now. Could be wrong though; not like I've done any testing...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 10:53 AM   #43
KBoater

Default Broads

I had to answer Dave R because I identifed with so many of his thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
How to swim.

How to drive a boat.

How to catch crayfish with a flashlight and a willingness to walk along a "mucky" bottom in shallow water.

How to fish....
Did this in my youth
Quote:
That the markers around Pistol Island are very confusing (only place I've ever dinged a prop on the lake, knock on wood).
Add some island property I owned.
Quote:
That pet rabbits are not at all deterred by a swim if it means getting free (turns out you cannot trap one on the end of a dock...).
This also applies to cats.
Quote:
That many people go to the lake to drink themselves into a stupor every weekend.
Know some of these and have been there myself. The answer is to retire.

Quote:

That drifting in the middle of the broads watching the sunset with the engine off on a Summer evening is perhaps the most therapeutic thing I can do.
THIS IS SOOO TRUE.

Quote:
That some people are insulted if you offer help with docking and that most are not...
I will take all the help I can get. I didn’t get my nickname as “crash” for nothing.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:55 AM   #44
dpg

Ever tow your boat to the gas station for a fill-up?? Put the car in park, it'll surely roll away on you in neutral!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #45
Rattlesnake Gal

Thumbs up Fun and Informative Thread

I thought that I would reopen this useful thread because some members might not have seen it yet. I bet that there are many more folks with helpful tips to share.

I have learned that mice will eat a comrade stuck to a glue trap.

Mice will eat soap when no other options are present. They prefer Dial to unscented Dove.

They also like to eat silicone spatulas and the buttons off of a television/VCR remote.

I have found that setting a mouse trap inside a small Havahart trap keeps the dogs safe from a nose snap and keeps a mink from running off with the trap.

This style trap worked well in catching the tiny critter that didn't set off the traditional snap trap.

Binder clips work great for keeping bags closed and for hanging towels to dry on the boat.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #46
Jeanzb1

Default 72 Hours And Counting.....

GREAT THREAD!

Duck itch is easier to prevent than have to live with.

Sawyer's black raspberry ice cream is the best in the entire world!
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #47
Island Girl

Default Seven Years Later

I have learned some more things since the start of this thread in 2005....

A comfy couch on the porch is the best place for a nap.

A dead webcam is a tragedy during ice-in and ice-out.

Before opening my eyes in the morning, I stick my hand out. If it hits the wall, I am at the lake.

A jetski is the best way to get around the lake.

A washer and dryer on the island would be heaven.

Put a large 40-55 gallon trash container on a hill next to the house. Make a drain for a hose near the bottom. Attach a hose with a shut off and run to the bathroom window. (hanging outside the house with a rope) Fill the container with water and cover it. This is good for 7 flushes when the power goes out.

Take some of that water and heat on the grill. Pour into a plastic sun shower (holds five gallons). Hang in the bathroom shower for times when there is no power to run the water pump. Works well if you just heat a gallon or so to a very hot temp and mix with the cold water from the hill container.

Fresh hamburger from the Wining Butcher on the grill cannot be topped.

Gallons of water can be purchased at Hannaford for 50 cents.

A day at the lake is better than any day anywhere else.

Having to go to the store by jetski is not a bad way to spend time.

There are at least 5 places to get ice cream by jetski (or boat)
  • Alton Bay (2)
  • Wolfeboro (3)
  • 19 Mile Bay
  • Center Harbor
  • Meredith
What I need to learn is how to get running lights on the jetski so I am not paranoid going back to the island at dusk after an ice cream run.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
The Following User Says Thank You to Island Girl For This Useful Post:
Grant (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #48
KBoater

IG check out the canoe/kakak clip on running lights. Might work
Old 04-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #49
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default An Islanders Perspective...

#1. Being a good neighbor and having good neighbors is very important on an island...We are blessed to be surrounded by the best neighbors in the world!

#2. Bungee Cords...You can never have enough!

#3. Contractor trash bags are a necessity for spill proof transport of your trash on your boat!

#4. Zip ties are another item you can never have enough of!

#5. A well stocked tool shed to take care of all those pesky little items that come up is very important. After all, there is no "Ace Hardware" on the island!
"Most islanders are like Boy Scouts on steroids"... I stole that quote from Lauren Lyons of the Lyons Den. It's very fitting!

#6. You can never see too many sunrises or sunsets over the lake. Each one is different and special and I look forward to seeing many more!!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 04-25-2012 at 07:43 PM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #50
Island Girl

Default Legal in NH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBoater View Post
IG check out the canoe/kakak clip on running lights. Might work
My PWC is a three seater, therefore a boat. If it has running lights, is it legal after dark?

....... Make Lemonade
Old 04-25-2012, 09:29 PM   #51
Rattlesnake Guy

I have learned that

Weather people on Maine TV always stand in front of the lake.

Making the dock wave safe is easier than driving up to fix it in bad weather.

Plants and trees grow really really slow on the island.

Mice eat some strange things when they can't find food.

Thank God we have pressure treated wood and don't have to replace the wood every few years.

A nail gun is a beautiful invention.

My wife is far more organized than I could ever be.

Having a lake set of tools and and a home set of tools is worth the money.

Whatever plumbing fitting you need is not one of the 50 you have in inventory.

Things that were easy with the kids help can be a real pain for a fat old guy.

It is amazing how much better a Saturday afternoon lake is than a Sunday afternoon lake.

Staying on the Island all the way to Thanksgiving seems like a much better idea in July than it does in late October. (Every year)
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #52
Bear Island South

Remember the car keys and cell phone when you leave the island (especially in a heavy fog)

May, June and October our favorites months to be at the lake.

If you live on an island, a Pontoon Boat may be more practical than a sporty bow rider.

No matter how cute your wife thinks the birds are leave the bird seed at home.

Don't rely on your memory for necessary provisions, bring more, you can never have too much of one thing.
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear Island South For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Guy (04-29-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #53
Rattlesnake Gal

Arrow Night Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
My PWC is a three seater, therefore a boat. If it has running lights, is it legal after dark?
Running lights along with a stern light would make it legal. I think it is discouraged because taking waves is the dark on this vessel might be more dangerous for the boater. We discussed this in a thread years ago and I think that I recall Siksukr stated that he had done this.?

Lights at twilight times would be fantastic!
Old 04-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #54
Phantom

As one who is completely comfortable boating at night..... I know & respect that it isn't everyones "Cup of Tea" (including my wife), I could foresee a number of dangerous senerio's with PWC's running around (<25mph) in the "Black". The inevitable Rogue wave being #1 on the list

Now if it is intended simply as an additional safety feature at or around Dusk --- GREAT idea
Old 04-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #55
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
Having a lake set of tools and and a home set of tools is worth the money.
That no matter how much you spend on the two sets, there will ALWAYS be that tool you only have 1 of, and it will be at the location where you aren't when you need it.

When happily collapsing the two households into the lake one, you will have a LOT of tools.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Guy (04-29-2012), WakeboardMom (04-27-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #56
Island Girl

Default Three sets

This tool problem is resolved by having a third set in the boat!!!! Cha Ching...

I also keep a hidden set of screwdrivers in the house... just for me.

....... Make Lemonade
Old 04-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #57
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Walking down the street swatting at black flies can make you look like a raving lunatic.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #58
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
As one who is completely comfortable boating at night..... I know & respect that it isn't everyones "Cup of Tea" (including my wife), I could foresee a number of dangerous senerio's with PWC's running around (<25mph) in the "Black". The inevitable Rogue wave being #1 on the list

Now if it is intended simply as an additional safety feature at or around Dusk --- GREAT idea
I believe it is illegal to drive PWC's at night.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #59
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
Running lights along with a stern light would make it legal. I think it is discouraged because taking waves is the dark on this vessel might be more dangerous for the boater. We discussed this in a thread years ago and I think that I recall Siksukr stated that he had done this.?

Lights at twilight times would be fantastic!
I actually have not used lights but as IG asks,I do remember discussing whether adding lights because it is technically a boat would be legal.I believe that the answer was no.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #60
Phantom

I know for a FACT that in Massachusetts it is Illegal.

In fact they do not recognize a PWC as a "Boat". Even with a N.H. Reg with Boat classification. I know, I had one, and have the ticket to prove it!! ouch!!

According to MA Environmental Police their ad hoc classification is a "Boat" you ride in.. a PWC you ride on

I can't believe that NH is much different considering the parralels in all the other Inland Boating Laws between the two States

Sorry -- We seem to be Hijacking this GREAT thread -- perhaps we should open a seperate dicussion all ?

Old 04-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #61
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frdxplorer View Post
For those Wolfeboro folks out there...

I learned that being prepared sometimes can come back and bite you. I had just enjoyed my last lobster dinner of the year @ Wolfetrap in Back Bay. The sun had set and we were ready to begin out journey under the stars. We inserted the anchor light in its receptacle and did a visual check to make sure things were working. We set out for the open water with only the very low Main Street bridge standing between us and Wolfeboro bay. I quickly learned that anchor lights sometimes rise above of the otherwise highest point on a boat by the nasty sound of our light scratching and bending as the Main Street bridge flexed its mussels. Lesson learned.
I got pulled over by the marine patrol years ago for not having a stern light. I took it down for navigating the bridge. Lesson learned.

Whenever you have pre teens on board a boat, even if they went to the bathroom before boarding, you will always find one that needs to go!
Old 04-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #62
AC2717

making doublely sure to enforce the rule, that whoever uses the head on the boat, is the one that cleans it
Old 04-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #63
EllyPoinster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
That no matter how much you spend on the two sets, there will ALWAYS be that tool you only have 1 of, and it will be at the location where you aren't when you need it.

When happily collapsing the two households into the lake one, you will have a LOT of tools.
My tools live in my car during the lake season. No matter what I need, I always have it with me.
EllyPoinster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EllyPoinster For This Useful Post:
fpartri497 (04-27-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #64
AC2717

I am with Elly, always a tool bag full of mutiple use type tools in the car or truck when heading to the lake. nothing crazy, but wrenches, plyers screwdrivers hammers, drill and every othe reveryday use tool. Have a rachet set and things like that already at the cottage
Old 04-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #65
Rattlesnake Gal

Smile Marine Patrol

I just sent an e-mail off to Marine Patrol asking about navigation lights on a three person PWC, which is considered a boat. Hopefully they will answer my question!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (04-26-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #66
Rattlesnake Gal

Arrow Boating Forum

Phamtom had a good point, navigation lights on a three person PWC is a good subject for the Boating Forum. Which is where I posted MP's answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
The question of putting navigation lights on a three person PWC was brought up in the very fun and informative thread, Things I Have Learned at the Lake. Seeing how this is a boating issue, I thought it should have it's own thread.

I sent the following e-mail to Marine Patrol:

Maybe you could clear up a question for me. Can a three person PWC, which is considered a boat, have navigation lights and a stern light added to it for night time boating? I realize that a PWC could be difficult to use in the dark, but it would be very helpful for twighlight time.

Thanks!

Celia

I got this very thoughtful and informative response:
(I hope it is alright that I post MP's response!)

Dear Celia,

The answer is yes it can. But as a caution, we have heard stories that insurance companies have refused coverage and that your liability is at risk when you add something to the vessel that is not factory installed. This would become an issue if there was an accident or other situation where there is personal injury or damage. The other problem with putting lights on a PWC is that the 360 degree white light must be above the operators head so that it CAN be seen for 360 degrees. I hope this has answered your question.

Bruce A. Klinger, Dispatch Supervisor
New Hampshire Department of Safety
Division of State Police
Marine Patrol Bureau
Headquarters - 31 Dock Road Gilford NH 03249
603-293-2037* Fax HQ: 293-0096 Disp: 271-1153
www.marinepatrol.nh.gov
Many thanks to Marine Patrol for the quick and educational answer!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
surfnsnow (04-27-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #67
Barney Bear

Default Sage [? ] Advice

After forty-five years of island living, our most important suggestion is: Respect the Lake. From our location on East Bear Island, we have seen the lake change from near calm to four foot waves in just a few minutes. We have had to go to the leeward side of an island to wait out a storm. We have delayed departing from the island due to windy conditions, sometimes staying overnight. We have decided not to go to our cottage this weekend due to the windy forecast for most of the time. This is a very rare choice for us.
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #68
Rattlesnake Guy

Don't' tell my wife but sometimes not having the tool at the right location is a very good excuse to delay the project another week. I suspect she has already figured that one out.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #69
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Another amazing thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
Don't' tell my wife but sometimes not having the tool at the right location is a very good excuse to delay the project another week. I suspect she has already figured that one out.
...is how that tool miraculously appears the next week, without having been taken to the lake. She better never figure that one out Mr. RG
Rattlesnake Gal (04-30-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #70
Bear247

To be thankful that I am lucky enough to have a place on this Lake to share with my family and good friends... Also don't forget to bring ice. You can never have to much..
Bear247 is offline   Reply With Quote