Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2011, 06:26 AM   #1
Happy Gourmand

Default Louis' Pizza in Meredith

We were going to head up on Friday morning, but we managed to get everything packed on Thursday night and decided to head up. Not taking the time to have dinner at home, we decided to stop at Louis' in Meredith and get a pizza.
Many already know that the Nasis' sold their place sometime last year...I wish them luck and happiness in their retirement.
Louis' had a reputation as one of the best places in the area to get pizza...I really thought it was great. If you like thin crust pizza, this isn't the place for you.
When you like a place, you don't like to see too many changes, so I was worried that the new owners would change up the recipe. I was happy that they didn't.
I walked in about 7:30 on Thursday night...the parking lot was absolutely empty...in fact, other than one other vehicle parked a few stores down, mine was the only car in the lot...seemingly not a good sign!
I was greeted by a young couple, late 20's to mid thirty's. Though the parking lot was empty, they were very busy...the phone was ringing, and they had several to go orders they were working on. Because they were so busy, I didn't have much of an opportunity to chat with them, but did ask if they were the new owners and "how's business?" They are the owners and he told me they were having a great summer. Good for them!
Now for the pizza....being a creature of habit, I was somewhat prepared to be disappointed...as I said, I always liked Louis' pizza. I thought I'd miss the thick tender crust....the copious amount of cheese, and so much pepperoni that you can barely see the cheese. I wasn't disappointed one bit....it was as if Louis himself was still there and made it for us. I brought the pizza home and set it on the table, opened it up...my daughter said, "Dad, there's almost too much pepperoni" We looked at each other....."NAWWWW" There was just enough, just as I remember it!
I have no clue what would happen if I had ordered it with extra cheese and/or pepperoni...there just wasn't room for either.
All that pepperoni made the pizza somewhat oily...but that's the way I like it.
Nice tender crust...tasty sauce...ample amounts of cheese and pepperoni....Louis' at its best!
I you liked Louis' pizza before, you won't be disappointed with Louis' now!
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
MarkinNH (07-30-2011)
Old 07-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #2
MarkinNH

You have my mouth watering at the mere discription. I love pizza !!
It is an exceptable breakfast food isn't it ?
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
Happy Gourmand

Default Leftover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinNH View Post
You have my mouth watering at the mere discription. I love pizza !!
It is an exceptable breakfast food isn't it ?
Cold pizza for breakfast??? The BEST!!
Old 07-30-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
MarkinNH

I think a pizza is on todays menu. The pizza place your refering to is on the corner at the lights in Meredith correct ?
Old 07-30-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
Happy Gourmand

Default Louis' Pizza

Nope...it's on Route 104...in the strip mall that the Liquor store and Annalee dolls in is....from Meredith, it's at the first set of lights westbound.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Mark,

It is in the 104 plaza with the State Liquor Store and Annalee Dolls (old Jackson Star)

And it still is the same!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:59 AM   #7
MarkinNH

Ok, I know right where it is. Thank you.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
Shore Driver

Louis' pizza is absolutely horrid. Grody to the max.

MarkinNH, don't do it man!
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shore Driver For This Useful Post:
nicole (07-30-2011)
Old 07-30-2011, 07:04 PM   #9
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shore Driver View Post

Thank you, but I'll need to make that opinion / decision for myself. I am willing to give them a fair chance at winning or losing my business.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:47 AM   #10
sa meredith

Default ?

Quote:

What a strange post. Louis has been our "go to" pizza place during the summer, for many years. I really like the way it is made, and love all the toppings. Their Italian Sub is simlpy unreal as well, by the way.
Shore dr...while it may simply not "be your taste", I find horrid a strange choice of words. Perhaps in the interest of adding some credibility to your posting, you could tell us what it was that was so very bad. I am curious. Most people in our association LOVE this place.
I'm not really sure "grody to the max" tells us much.

Last edited by sa meredith; 07-31-2011 at 12:55 PM.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
gonetoolong (07-31-2011), MarkinNH (07-31-2011), Skip (07-31-2011)
Old 07-31-2011, 06:41 PM   #11
MarkinNH

Well I followed my taste buds to Louis's Pizza this afternoon and picked up a large Pepperoni pizza. A special thank you to the " Phantom Gourmand" for his recommendation for I absolutely enjoyed my tasty dinner treat.
When the Phantom Gourmand said it came loaded with pepperoni, that was no tall tale. Just look at this pizza, it is a vision of of delicious beauty.
(sorry about the picture being so large)
To the Shore Driver, I am not sure what you issue was / is with a Louis's pizza but after seeing mine and devouring a very large percentage of it, I can not and do not share your feelings of their pizza being "horrid" in any way shape or form. My pizza was cooked perfectly, tasted delicious and I can't wait for breakfast so that I can have some more.

Phantom Gourmand, I thank you, my taste buds Really Thank you. My waist line unfortunately has a few choice words for you.
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MarkinNH For This Useful Post:
fpartri497 (08-01-2011), ishoot308 (08-01-2011), KPW (08-01-2011), NHBUOY (08-02-2011), Rusty (07-31-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 07:17 AM   #12
VitaBene

That is a good lookin' pie!!
Old 08-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #13
Hermit Cover

Default Arteries love it...

With better than 400 calories per extra thick cheese and loads of pepperoni we are looking at a 3200 plus caloric count. I guess the higher the calories the better the pie Lemme' at it!
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #14
jeffatsquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
That is a good lookin' pie!!
Hey Vita what do ya say we go get a couple pies and head down to the Meredith docks to watch some of those "fancy boat" people
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffatsquam For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (08-02-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #15
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffatsquam View Post
Hey Vita what do ya say we go get a couple pies and head down to the Meredith docks to watch some of those "fancy boat" people
The young lady behind the counter yesterday told me that she would be happy to deliver and the town docks is certainly within a reasonable delivery range.
You could call them 279-3011 and have your pies brought right to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkinNH For This Useful Post:
jeffatsquam (08-01-2011)
Old 08-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #16
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffatsquam View Post
I love boat ramp watching!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #17
Shore Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
What a strange post. Louis has been our "go to" pizza place during the summer, for many years. I really like the way it is made, and love all the toppings. Their Italian Sub is simlpy unreal as well, by the way.
Shore dr...while it may simply not "be your taste", I find horrid a strange choice of words. Perhaps in the interest of adding some credibility to your posting, you could tell us what it was that was so very bad. I am curious. Most people in our association LOVE this place.
I'm not really sure "grody to the max" tells us much.
I went there once (after reading good reviews here), and it was soggy undercooked crust, soaked through with grease due to way too many meat toppings. All who ate it were grossed out. I don't need a million toppings layered upon each other to enjoy the flavor of a pizza. Down in CT, we have coal-fired, brick-oven pizza (New Haven style, the inventors of pizza), and a plethora of Greek-style pizza shops, like Louies' . I grew up eating Greek pizza, and some are quite good. However I do prefer New Haven-style.

Maybe I got the new kid who reached his paddle a bit far into the oven and pulled the pie, to save time. It happens.....won't be going back though.
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #18
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Pizza by the slice?

I have noticed the there is a sign at the entrance to the plaza showing pizza by the slice. I just never seem to hit it right when coming back from MA on Friday nights. If a slice is good (after sitting for a while) then maybe a whole pizza will be better?

I prefer a real Italian pizza if one can be found.

When I was a youngster (some 56 years ago) my family would got for Pizza on Sunday evenings. We lived in Quincy, MA(C sounds like a Z). There was a great Italian restaurant on the Southern Artery call the the ROMAN GARDENS, It had the best Pizza anywhere! I have used their pizza as the standard to judge all other pizzas by.

Does any one remember A TASTE of TUSCANE (ANTHONY's Moultonboro)? When the 3 brothers first took over they upgrade the quality of the ingredients and it came as close to my Roman Gardens Pizza as any pizza I have had in some time.

I was sorry to see how things went from good to bad for them. Under better circumstance I think they would still be there.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #19
sa meredith

Default makes sense

Quote:
I went there once (after reading good reviews here), and it was soggy undercooked crust, soaked through with grease due to way too many meat toppings. All who ate it were grossed out. I don't need a million toppings layered upon each other to enjoy the flavor of a pizza. Down in CT, we have coal-fired, brick-oven pizza (New Haven style, the inventors of pizza), and a plethora of Greek-style pizza shops, like Louies' . I grew up eating Greek pizza, and some are quite good. However I do prefer New Haven-style.

Maybe I got the new kid who reached his paddle a bit far into the oven and pulled the pie, to save time. It happens.....won't be going back though.
Ok, well this makes sense. Truth be told, when I order from Louis (old owners as well as new) I always ask them to add a few minutes to the normal cook time. I enjoy Greek pizza, but it has to be on the "well done" side.
There have been times when I got my Louis' pizza home, and although it was certainly ready to eat, I took a few slices, and threw them in a 350 degree oven for a bit. It comes out perfect...for me anyway.
All the toppings can be a bit much...on a pepperonni, a quick dab with a paper towel does wonders.
All in all, I think they do a great job.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:20 PM   #20
jkjoshuatree

Default I'm From Braintree!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
I have noticed the there is a sign at the entrance to the plaza showing pizza by the slice. I just never seem to hit it right when coming back from MA on Friday nights. If a slice is good (after sitting for a while) then maybe a whole pizza will be better?

When I was a youngster (some 56 years ago) my family would got for Pizza on Sunday evenings. We lived in Quincy, MA(C sounds like a Z). There was a great Italian restaurant on the Southern Artery call the the ROMAN GARDENS, It had the best Pizza anywhere! I have used their pizza as the standard to judge all other pizzas by.

Does any one remember A TASTE of TUSCANE (ANTHONY's Moultonboro)? When the 3 brothers first took over they upgrade the quality of the ingredients and it came as close to my Roman Gardens Pizza as any pizza I have had in some time.

I was sorry to see how things went from good to bad for them. Under better circumstance I think they would still be there.

We were neighbors!!!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #21
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree View Post
We were neighbors!!!
I started working at Faxon Commons as it was being built in 79 (15 years old cutting grass). Previte's market was a weekly lunch spot. Braintree born and raised.

There was a Greek place in Quincy Ctr called Friendly that was awesome. I went to high school at BC High so we would take the train in to the North End to get pizzas from the European.

I agree on Louis- you need to get it well done. I will also ask for a little light on the cheese.
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (08-03-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 05:59 AM   #22
dpg

That does look awesome but the cardboard disk underneath does look a bit oily. Guess that's what you get with all that pepperoni, as stated some Bounty does wonders.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #23
SPT13

Default Memories......

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post

Roman Gardens on a Sunday night. My Father would only go Sunday nights because he claimed the pizza was better there on Sundays than any other night !!!!
SPT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:51 AM   #24
jkjoshuatree

Default Small World VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I started working at Faxon Commons as it was being built in 79 (15 years old cutting grass). Previte's market was a weekly lunch spot. Braintree born and raised.

There was a Greek place in Quincy Ctr called Friendly that was awesome. I went to high school at BC High so we would take the train in to the North End to get pizzas from the European.

I agree on Louis- you need to get it well done. I will also ask for a little light on the cheese.
Born and raised there myself. Previte's sounds so familiar. Is it still there?

And if you were born in 1964, you may know my sisters...Kelli and Andrea. They didn't goto BC but there weren't many "party" spots in Braintree so maybe you ran into them. Kelli was born in 65 and Andrea 66.

We lived on Staten Road, off of Common Street.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #25
fatlazyless

Say hey....the very cordial Meredith Village Savings Bank that's close to Louie's Pizza has a Keurig coffee machine set on a counter that's close to the entry door. The price is no price.....no charge....a free cup of coffee...and they have had a choice of both Green Mountain Coffee Roasters or Dunkin Donuts k-cups.....in some very pricey looking GMCR coffee cups........WHAT A BANK!!! Their certificates of deposit may not have much to offer....but their freebie coffee is first rate! Probably, they should offer some Irish whiskey to go with the coffee to ease the pain of low interest cd's!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:19 AM   #26
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Say hey....the very cordial Meredith Village Savings Bank that's close to Louie's Pizza has a Keurig coffee machine set on a counter that's close to the entry door. The price is no price.....no charge....a free cup of coffee...and they have had a choice of both Green Mountain Coffee Roasters or Dunkin Donuts k-cups.....in some very pricey looking GMCR coffee cups........WHAT A BANK!!! Their certificates of deposit may not have much to offer....but their freebie coffee is first rate! Probably, they should offer some Irish whiskey to go with the coffee to ease the pain of low interest cd's!
Please tell me you are joking that you actually just go there for the free coffee and do not conduct business there?
Old 08-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #27
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
Please tell me you are joking that you actually just go there for the free coffee and do not conduct business there?
Being a member for longer then I have, I suspect that you have read more of Fatlazyless's, off the wall posts then I have, Would him going by a business simply for the free coffee actually surprise you. LOL
In a way, I wouldn't blame him. God knows we deserve to get atleast Something besides constantly increasing service fees etc. from our local banks as a thank you for doing business with them.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #28
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinNH View Post
Being a member for longer then I have, I suspect that you have read more of Fatlazyless's, off the wall posts then I have, Would him going by a business simply for the free coffee actually surprise you. LOL
In a way, I wouldn't blame him. God knows we deserve to get atleast Something besides constantly increasing service fees etc. from our local banks as a thank you for doing business with them.
yeah I agree, but that is just flat out ridiculous
Old 08-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #29
SPT13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree View Post
Born and raised there myself. Previte's sounds so familiar. Is it still there?

And if you were born in 1964, you may know my sisters...Kelli and Andrea. They didn't goto BC but there weren't many "party" spots in Braintree so maybe you ran into them. Kelli was born in 65 and Andrea 66.

We lived on Staten Road, off of Common Street.
Previte's moved to Weymouth & is fantastic!! Almost as good as the Wining Butcher. They also have fish & a bakery
SPT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SPT13 For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (08-03-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #30
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
yeah I agree, but that is just flat out ridiculous
....say hey....a good cup of free quality coffee is wherever you can find it.....and besides the Meredith Village Savings Bank now charges 50-cents for temporary checks when you run out of checks or forget your checkbook at home...after already charging $6.00/month to maintain a regular checking account....and with cd interest rates now so low....a shot of good Irish whiskey would help to ease the pain.....
Nagigator (08-03-2011), Rusty (08-03-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #31
Nagigator

Default try this.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Cover View Post
With better than 400 calories per extra thick cheese and loads of pepperoni we are looking at a 3200 plus caloric count. I guess the higher the calories the better the pie Lemme' at it!
IF the place is the same, try the kitchen sink pizza, or, probably called the special. It has everything on it, one slice is really all you need............maybe two, that will fill the calorie count for the day!
Nagigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #32
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Huh??? I'm at a total loss of words.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:18 PM   #33
KayakinKid

Thanks in part to MarkinNH's perfect pepperoni pizza picture (say that 10 times fast! ), I made it a point to stop into Louis' Pizza after I was done kayaking on the lake on Tuesday. That's how I work. Kayak on the lake or in the area, try a new place to eat. Last time I was up there, it was the Merrymeeting River, and Pop's Clam Shell Bar. I can blame my new method on all of you folks here.

I was not disappointed at Louis'. Since it was just myself, I got a small pepperoni pizza, and a side of onion rings. I didn't have quite the pepperoni coverage that Mark's did, but there was still plenty there. The pizza was excellent, without being greasy. There was some grease on the cardboard circle underneath the pizza, but I didn't get that greasy feeling when eating the pizza itself.

The onion rings were excellent. Just crispy enough, without being too crunchy, and plenty of them. I could have eaten just the onion rings, and been full.

Also, both made for a good breakfast the next morning. Let's face it, some pizzas can make the breakfast cut, some pizzas can't.

It was well worth the trip to Louis'. Now I just have to figure out where I'm going to kayak on the Lake next time, and what place I'm going to eat at afterwards.
KayakinKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #34
ushaggerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
Ok, well this makes sense. Truth be told, when I order from Louis (old owners as well as new) I always ask them to add a few minutes to the normal cook time. I enjoy Greek pizza, but it has to be on the "well done" side.
There have been times when I got my Louis' pizza home, and although it was certainly ready to eat, I took a few slices, and threw them in a 350 degree oven for a bit. It comes out perfect...for me anyway.
All the toppings can be a bit much...on a pepperonni, a quick dab with a paper towel does wonders.
All in all, I think they do a great job.
You have an experience that bad, tell the owner. You deserve better. And they'll probably do it again for you - and much better.
ushaggerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #35
SerenityRick

Me and my wife's favorite pizza from Louie's was their chicken and black olive. They would basically toss on a lot of cut up pieces of chicken fingers (not grilled chicken) with tons of black olives and it was amazing.

After they got their new owners we decided to order up our favorite pizza only to be severely disappointed that they started using grilled chicken instead and it wasn't even close to being nearly as delicious

I am glad to hear that they use the same recipe for their pepperoni pizza though.
SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #36
CGI3

Default Louies

I'll take the grilled chicken breast over chopped up deep fried chicken fingers on my pizza any day!
CGI3 is offline   Reply With Quote