Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
MRJS

Default Sailboat Cover

Our Hunter sailboat has two yokes that hold the mast horizontally. A tarp goes over it and is tied to the trailer below.

The trouble is that it only makes a 45 degree angle, or 12/12 pitch. One thought is to add some extensions to the yokes to steepen the pitch.

I'm getting tired of brushing the snow off the tarp.

Any ideas?
MRJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:07 PM   #2
Kamper

How about a couple pieces of ply-wood? Pad and tape the bottom edges to avoid scuffing. Hinge the upper ends with rope. Cover the whole thing with a tarp or the cover you have now, to seal it.

You could do it in sections too so it isnt such a struggle getting that weight positionned. If it starts to bow in you can add 2X4's for stiffening.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
fatlazyless

How about making a new and higher horizontal ridgeline with an eight foot 2x3, maybe five feet above the existing boom, and then draping a blue polytarp over that. The increased pitch hopefully will shed all snow.

You need to figure out a way to attach the 2x3 to the mast and the main halyard (that's tied to the rear of the boom) without damaging them. Maybe stainless clamps and screw eyes.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
Dave R

How complicated are the yokes? I would think that new longer yokes would be sturdier than extended yokes. Considering the snow loads and collapsing roofs of late, last thing you'd want to do is weaken the structure, even if it sheds snow better, it theory. I imagine a local woodworker could make some new yokes pretty easily (cheaply) if they are as simple as others I have seen.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote