Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2007, 07:38 AM   #1
AC2717

SO yesterday I was out on the lake, little disappointed in the weather because they said 80's, it was but no sun, so it was chilly with the wind, I am heading from Gov's towards diamond, I came through the Weirs, and I an heading at about 3/4 speed, and looking around me and no one around, then all of a sudden off to my starboard side there is, I think about a 26-28 foot cuddy cabin, must have came out from on of the coves or that area along the road from Gilford to Alton. They driver stand up starts screaming, of course I could not hear him under way, he was maybe 400 feet away from me, obviously I was the stand on vessel, and he continues on his way flaring his hat at me and gestures and all of that and he had a full boat. I slowed down because he was not and he was crossing right in front of me and my wife was like what is this all about, if you are the stand on vessel why is he yelling at you, if he is over taking my from say about 5 o'clock on the clock, (i looked back to see his wake path, why is he yelling at you and cutting you off, he is give way and should go around me correct? man it made me so mad!
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
Weekend Pundit

Angry Another Cap'n Bonehead stunt

I was out for a quick one hour jaunt on the lake with my son yesterday afternoon. The weather was great and the boat traffic was minimal. All in all, it was a great time for boating.

We'd finished our run out and back and were at headway speed as we enetred Glendale. There were three other boats near us - two power boats and a sailboat - and we were all within 100 feet of each other or less. The sailboat was outbound and had just raised sail, the other two boats were inbound just like me.

A Bayliner piloted by a Cap'n Bonehead coming from the direction of Welch's Island decided that, rather than dropping to headway speed to pass among us on his way to the passage between Pig and Locke's Island, he'd stay up on full plane and passed between us all at between 25 and 50 feet.

The sail boat was damn near swamped, one of the bowriders shipped some water over his port side, and the other boat and I laid on our horns as the jerk passed between us. It wasn't until he was actually through the passage between Pig and Locke's that he slowed down...until he passed the buoy to the west end of the passage and got right back up on the throttle.

Talk about friggin' clueless.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
KonaChick

What a great opportunity to take bow numbers and report him to MP...especially with him being that close and with 3 witnesses!!
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:51 PM   #4
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717
.........then all of a sudden off to my starboard side there is, I think about a 26-28 foot cuddy cabin, must have came out from on of the coves or that area along the road from Gilford to Alton. .... obviously I was the stand on vessel, and he continues on his way flaring his hat at me and gestures and all of that and he had a full boat. I slowed down because he was not and he was crossing right in front of me and my wife was like what is this all about, if you are the stand on vessel why is he yelling at you, if he is over taking my from say about 5 o'clock on the clock, (i looked back to see his wake path, why is he yelling at you and cutting you off, he is give way and should go around me correct? man it made me so mad!
If he was on your starboard (right) side then he was the stand on and you were the give way. He had the right of way, you were wrong.
ITD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:15 PM   #5
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD
If he was on your starboard (right) side then he was the stand on and you were the give way. He had the right of way, you were wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717
if he is over taking my from say about 5 o'clock on the clock, (i looked back to see his wake path
Seems a bit out of the zone at five o'clock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwdotboat-eddotcom/nh/course/
The vessel that is overtaking another vessel is the give-way vessel. The vessel being overtaken is the stand-on vessel.
URL Link:http://www.boat-ed.com/nh/course/p3-...htm#Overtaking
Old 08-28-2007, 02:29 PM   #6
sa meredith

Default uuuummmmmmmm....C2717

I'm a bit new to boating (on lake Winni 3 years), so correct me if I'm wrong, but with all due respect AC2717, if he was approaching from the starboard side, HE WAS INDEED THE STAND ON VESSEL. You should have backed off (given way). I believe I am correct in this matter.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:46 PM   #7
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith
I'm a bit new to boating (on lake Winni 3 years), so correct me if I'm wrong, but with all due respect AC2717, if he was approaching from the starboard side, HE WAS INDEED THE STAND ON VESSEL. You should have backed off (given way). I believe I am correct in this matter.

You are correct if he was coming from my starboard side by originally he was behind me at my 5 o'clock, meaning he was over taking me and pull ed up to my starboard, the overtaking rule applies not the starboard rule. because of where he originated from when approaching me from behind.

Do not disagree with you if he was comign from 1,2,3 even maybe 4 o'clock but not a 5 o'clock, that is overtaking.

good discussion point here though what does the rest of the forum think?
Old 08-28-2007, 02:48 PM   #8
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC...
Seems a bit out of the zone at five o'clock.

URL Link:http://www.boat-ed.com/nh/course/p3-...htm#Overtaking
Thank you for thje clarification, with this he was the give way vessel as he was not coming from the starboard side originally
Old 08-28-2007, 03:01 PM   #9
jrc

The magic line is about 3:45. That's 22.5 degrees abaft of your starboard beam. Behind that he's passing you and you are stand-on. In front of that he's crossing from the starboard and you are give-way.

Most people assume passing only applies from directly astern, so in this situation I aways prepare to take evasive action. I've also made this mistake, it's really hard to judge that angle perfectly.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:42 PM   #10
sa meredith

Default my bad

OK...I stand corrected. I guess I would describe the same situation as
"he approached me from the starboard side of my stern"....
If he approaches from 5 he would have to be behind you.
I missed the 5 o'clock part in your post.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:23 PM   #11
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith
OK...I stand corrected. I guess I would describe the same situation as
"he approached me from the starboard side of my stern"....
If he approaches from 5 he would have to be behind you.
I missed the 5 o'clock part in your post.
Ditto, I missed the 5 o'clock portion also, sorry, you sure it wasn't 3:30?
ITD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:06 AM   #12
AC2717

Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD
Ditto, I missed the 5 o'clock portion also, sorry, you sure it wasn't 3:30?
WAs sure
Even like I aid my wife who rarely drive the boat was commenting, if she does then I know I was not going nuts

Anyhoo got on with my day but was bothersome in my mind, Wish I caught a better description so I could tell you folks who to look out for and to make sure you actually stand down because he will not.

See you all this weekend for what looks like might be the last hooraaah
Old 08-30-2007, 09:58 PM   #13
Island Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Pundit
We'd finished our run out and back and were at headway speed as we enetred Glendale. There were three other boats near us - two power boats and a sailboat - and we were all within 100 feet of each other or less. The sailboat was outbound and had just raised sail, the other two boats were inbound just like me.

A Bayliner piloted by a Cap'n Bonehead coming from the direction of Welch's Island decided that, rather than dropping to headway speed to pass among us on his way to the passage between Pig and Locke's Island, he'd stay up on full plane and passed between us all at between 25 and 50 feet.
I had a similar situation in the same spot just the other day (maybe i was one of the other boats, in fact). What upset me was that Marine Patrol was right there and did nothing!!!! Must have been looking in another direction!