Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-02-2007, 09:34 AM   #1
dmjr

Default Lake Gas

Now the the prices of gas is getting close to $3 a gallon (rip off) I wonder how high it will be on the lakes this year?
Old 05-02-2007, 10:25 AM   #2
AC2717

Unhappy To go fast or not to go fast

I guess this could be one way of slowing us down on the lake, the fastre ou go the more gas you burn, I know one 23 foot 1988 cobalt Bow rider that will unfortunatley be staying on the mooring for more than usual
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
gtxrider

Default stay in port!

I bet a lot of boats will stay tied up at the dock. That is unless they use wind for power.

Saving my pennies to gas the jetski.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
Resident 2B

Default Gas!

I am budgeting for $4.25 while hoping it stays below $4.00

Live lobster is around $15 a pound now, so it could be a different summer for too many of us.

I was planning to buy a new and bigger boat this spring. I have those plans on hold for now, driven by the cost of gas. No sense having more money tied up in a boat that is too expensive to use.

Saw the Mount go in and out of the Weirs on the shake down cruise on Monday. I was at the kitchen table doing some work when I heard that horn blast.

Great sound and a great sight!

It is time to get the bottom of the boat wet!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
SIKSUKR

Ahh,there's something to be said afterall for my gas mizer,PWC which I can fuel up at the lowest price gas station!
Old 05-02-2007, 01:55 PM   #6
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrider
I bet a lot of boats will stay tied up at the dock.
I for one have no problem with this. The less traffic the better in my opinion. As for me I probably will not let the gas prices dictate my boat usage. Although if there is less boat traffic, I may find that I spend more afternoons just drifting around enjoying the sun, instead of going out for a ride and coming back to the dock to lounge around and rest on shore. So I guess in one sense I may actually spend more time on my boat.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:13 PM   #7
Rocky

Gas was $3.45 a gallon at shep browns last wknd.
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #8
20mile

Unhappy 19 mile

I heard 19 mile bay is planning on charging around $3.84 per gal. I think the 200 hsp will spend more time on the dock this year and the 7.5 hsp will be my main ride.:
20mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:34 PM   #9
Cal

Last time I was at the lake I put 200 miles on the GPS in 5 days divided by 1.4 mpg (at cruise) times the price per gallon =
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:54 PM   #10
Pineedles

Default Resident 2B

Our gas in Connecticut may be $3.19 per gallon but I can tell you a couple of places where the lobster is $5.99 per pound.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:19 AM   #11
LIforrelaxin

Default Here is the crime in all this

So I was looking as the gas and oil prices have creeped up towards last years highs I looked at the price of crude according to Bloomberg. Crude is not even close to last years high..... it is currently in the mid 60$ per barrell, as opposed to last years highs in the 70$ range... no what has sky rocketed is the price of gasoline futures which as of this morning are around $2.30.... what does all this mean... well the cost of the oil to refine is not anymore expensive and is in fact less expensive then last summer. Oh and by the way the gas at the pumps came form oil bought last winter that was in the 50$ per barrell range.... Then the last I knew there are no issues with refining capacities, the world is able to refine the same amount of gasoline as we where last summer..... and finally the Gas and oil companies are making huge profits....

Hummm do we know how to say cooperative Monopoly...... the gas companies know they have everyone by the shirt tails.... and they set the price and as long as they all stay together on the price, they can drive it to what ever high they want.....

I will now step of my soap box and people can draw there own conclusions....
Old 05-03-2007, 08:45 AM   #12
WeirsBeachBoater

Default How long before

Society says enough is enough? It drives me crazy that we all take these price hikes in stride. I have certainly been talking to my local representatives and senators. I am only one voice, it will take many more before it makes a difference.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:25 AM   #13
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirsBeachBoater
Society says enough is enough? It drives me crazy that we all take these price hikes in stride. I have certainly been talking to my local representatives and senators. I am only one voice, it will take many more before it makes a difference.
Good Point WBB..... Although I don't think the price is quite at the point where people will complain enough..... And also at this point, I am less concerned by the price, as opposed to how much they are jerking the price around.... Gas is something with enough known variable that they should be able to set a consistent price for periods of time..... There is also the fact that the price goes up at peak travel time... with gas that was made from oil that was bought at a much lower price.... and then there is my biggest pet peave, when the price of a barrell of oil drops we don't see an imediate drop.... because "the gas coming out of the pumps was made from high priced oil" well why didn't the price stay low when we are pumping the gas from the low priced oil... HUH?????????????????????????????????????????????/
Old 05-03-2007, 10:09 AM   #14
SIKSUKR

The refining capacity is lower than the current demand.Tell Al Gore and similar thinking leaders to stop halting refinery growth or this problem will only get worse as we consume more and more.Either that or take his advice and not his lead by riding a bike to work.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:00 PM   #15
Steve Di.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
Last time I was at the lake I put 200 miles on the GPS in 5 days divided by 1.4 mpg (at cruise) times the price per gallon =
Wow!!! That is a $548.57 gas bill at the 19 Mile Island gas prices!!
Steve Di. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:14 PM   #16
ghfromaltonbay

Default Gas boycott on 5/15

I just got several emails from friends with a message about a nationwide boycott. The message said we should all avoid buying gas on May 15th and see what happens. According to this message the last time this was tried a year or so ago the prices dropped that week. Maybe if we all do the 1 day boycott more people will get the message than if we write to our congressmen. Haven't seen that effort work too well here in NJ.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:29 PM   #17
Steve Di.

I received that one too. I don't see how that can be effective without an overall reduction in demand. This will only cause a one day reduction in cash flow for the oil companies followed by a spike when purchacing resumes on the 16th.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:39 PM   #18
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
The refining capacity is lower than the current demand.Tell Al Gore and similar thinking leaders to stop halting refinery growth or this problem will only get worse as we consume more and more.Either that or take his advice and not his lead by riding a bike to work.
Refining Capacity being lower the current demand has been the oil companies defense for a long time.... I still don't believe it. I will agree that at peak usuage point this is true, However there are several points during the year where there is low demand, and instead of the refineries keeping the production up they cut back, this is unneccesary and the reason, that they claim that there are shortages.... sure we do need more refinary development to help out with production so that the current refineriess aren't always at 100 production, but we also need the unfair practices of the oil and refining companies to stop.... The industry as a hole has to much control and as long as they colaborate with each other have a Monopoly....
Old 05-03-2007, 09:04 PM   #19
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Di.
Wow!!! That is a $548.57 gas bill at the 19 Mile Island gas prices!!
Now you take that and add it to diesel fuel for the truck to make the 800 mile round trip and you get about what I paid at the NASWA for those 5 nights
Kinda makes you wonder if it's worth it That's one reason I stayed home last year. Bought myself a whole lot of gas in Jersey and the Northern Chesapeake bay
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:31 AM   #20
Steve Di.

Could the high cost of fuel be what pushes the boating industry into a recession? I have been observing this industry for only 10 years, and have been wondering at what point would boating become too expensive for the average person.

The high cost of renting a slip forced me out of boat ownership three years ago. The high fuel costs after huricane Katrina forced me out of occasional trips to the lake in a friend's boat; it is just TOO expensive.

I will be doing my boating in a small sailboat. The wind is still free!

Last edited by Steve Di.; 05-05-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:37 AM   #21
fpartri497

Default The air is still free

Not for long my friend, our wonderfull government Is probably allready working on a way to tax us for "the free wind" that we all enjoy.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:48 AM   #22
Steve Di.

That is what I meant by still free!
Old 05-04-2007, 06:49 AM   #23
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Di.
The wind is still free!

Two words, VIEW TAX.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:43 AM   #24
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin
Refining Capacity being lower the current demand has been the oil companies defense for a long time.... I still don't believe it. I will agree that at peak usuage point this is true, However there are several points during the year where there is low demand, and instead of the refineries keeping the production up they cut back, this is unneccesary and the reason, that they claim that there are shortages.... sure we do need more refinary development to help out with production so that the current refineriess aren't always at 100 production, but we also need the unfair practices of the oil and refining companies to stop.... The industry as a hole has to much control and as long as they colaborate with each other have a Monopoly....
You can believe what you want.Maybe the conspiracy theory,yea that's it.They're out to get us!Simple economics,supply and demand.Am I happy about it? No but we still have the cheapest gas in the whole western world.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:58 AM   #25
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
You can believe what you want.Maybe the conspiracy theory,yea that's it.They're out to get us!Simple economics,supply and demand.Am I happy about it? No but we still have the cheapest gas in the whole western world.
I fully agree with you that we have the cheapest gas in the Western World, and I have never whined about the price. What I do argue about is the yo yo effect that the prices go through every year, because the supply is supposedly short. Then when the gas companies see there revenue going down the prices suddenly drop... But they never drop as quickly as they go up.... I also wouldn't mind the yo yo effect of prices if I was paying for the expensive barrel of oil when the gas from that barrel hit the market.... but I pay a high price for a gallon of gas when the barrell that made that gas was 10 to 20 dollars cheaper.... Plain and simple the oil companies are taking advantage of thier situation..... the question is when do they abuse thier advantage, and currently I feel that they are abusing the situation.... I don't have a problem paying a higher price for gas but when the prices swings around the way it has over the last several years, and the Oil and Gas companies are making RECORD BREAKING profits, I do get angry.......
Old 05-04-2007, 07:59 PM   #26
chocophile

Default No Ethanol Gas

We received a newsletter from Melvin Village Marina a few weeks ago cautioning against purchasing gas with ethanol for your boat. This topic has been covered here before (and other publications), but the good news is that some marinas on the lake sell gas with no ethanol. In particular, MVM is one. So while gas at the marina is more expensive, it could end up being less expensive in the long-run than ethanol-gas purchased at a regular gas station.
chocophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:23 PM   #27
Steve Di.

Default Why So?

Why can we not use ethanol mixes in our boats? Is it ethanol's tendancy to suspend water?
Old 05-05-2007, 06:09 PM   #28
Sunbeam lodge

Thumbs down

Quote:
Yes, we do have the cheapest gas. But in England where gas is $6.00 per gallon 80% is for taxes. So they pay at the pump for services that the state provides.
Our gas is not taxed as high but I would bet that our Federal and state taxes pay for many services that Europe's gas tax provides.
It is like saying N.H has no state employment tax or sales tax . We have the lowest taxes in the country. Not when you figure we have the highest real estate taxes.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:32 AM   #29
robmac

your correct,ethanol reaches a saturation and drops to the bottom of your tank then getting picked up and put onto your fuel delivery system. First thing most boaters notice is an idling problem then stalling.Make sure your changing those fuel filters twice as often if you've run ethanol enriched fuel
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:39 PM   #30
Steve Di.

Default Same For Cars

I guess the same would apply to our cars.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:52 PM   #31
Knot Droolin'

Default Gas At Irwin's

I filled up my Sea Ray at Irwin's on Friday for $3.39.

44 gallons for $150

Last edited by Knot Droolin'; 05-07-2007 at 05:37 PM.
Knot Droolin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:28 PM   #32
20mile

Thumbs down

Let us not forget that Exxon/Mobile has been posting profits in excess of $9,000,000,000 per quarter. That's right more than $9 billion every three months. I think it is absolutely criminal and our government is derelict of their duty to watch out for the consumers.

I think the problem is the greedy bastards (elected officials) are having their pockets lined by the oil companies so they let them rape us with high prices at will. It is a shame.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:19 PM   #33
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20mile
Let us not forget that Exxon/Mobile has been posting profits in excess of $9,000,000,000 per quarter. That's right more than $9 billion every three months. I think it is absolutely criminal and our government is derelict of their duty to watch out for the consumers.

I think the problem is the greedy bastards (elected officials) are having their pockets lined by the oil companies so they let them rape us with high prices at will. It is a shame.
The federal gov't probably makes $2 for every $1 that the oil companies make in profit, talk about a crime. Anyway, I didn't read anywhere in the constitution about the gov't responsibility to protect us from high prices.

Lake Winnipesaukee, (lake content, something our two posts need )
Old 05-07-2007, 07:17 AM   #34
fatlazyless

Default ...six pounds

A gallon of gasoline weighs about six pounds so a six gallon plastic, portable gas tank weighs about 38 pounds. A Meredith Village Savings rewards card will knock six cents off a gallon at the Mobil directly across Route 3 from the Meredith Town Docks, plus they have coffee, sandwiches, newspapers, and lots of hot water in the restroom, and oh yes, the free Laconia Daily Sun which is an excellent local source.

Am seeing lots of aluminum fishing boats in the 16 to 18' range like Lund, Spectrum, Lowe, Crestliner, & Princecraft sporting 50-90hp four-strokes, and very few Fountains, Formulas, and Bajas. Now, that cannot be due to the high price of gasoline, so it must just be due the cool temps. All the Baja guys must be busy waxing all that fiberglass in their heated garages, or something.

Yesterday afternoon, saw big Lee Raymond, former 12 year ceo of Exxon-Mobil cruise past buoy three at 65mph being chased by the Marine Patrol. Big Lee was driving an 88' Fountain, all black & grey racer checked, and powered by four inboard-outboards. A very impressive motorboat! He got pulled over and probably hit with an 88 dollar speeding ticket. Here in NH, big money does not get you any political favors.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:45 AM   #35
Pineedles

Default Fll

Was that an 88 foot fountain or a 1988 fountain? If it was 88 feet, where do you dock it?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:14 PM   #36
ossipeeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeam lodge
Yes, we do have the cheapest gas. But in England where gas is $6.00 per gallon 80% is for taxes. So they pay at the pump for services that the state provides.
Our gas is not taxed as high but I would bet that our Federal and state taxes pay for many services that Europe's gas tax provides.
It is like saying N.H has no state employment tax or sales tax . We have the lowest taxes in the country. Not when you figure we have the highest real estate taxes.
even figuring real estate taxes we still end up among the lowest. RE taxes are high but I pay less between 2 houses here in NH than I would with 1 house and the income and property taxes of any of our neighboring states.

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lis...005/index.html
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:07 PM   #37
Puck

Why shouldn't the oil companies be allowed to charge whatever price the market will support? We have a market driven economy. That is what capitalism is. If we want cheaper gas, then we need to find a way to devalue it. Can you imagine what the first viable alternative to gas or the combustion powered vehicle would be worth? I don't understand why when it comes to gas we all spend so much time complaining about the price and so little on taking advantage of what could be an opportunity.
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:41 PM   #38
Just Sold

Default Current Gas Prices

FYI Fay's was $3.40 yesterday.

Filler Up
Old 05-07-2007, 06:03 PM   #39
20mile

Default Not the Constitution the secretary of energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD
The federal gov't probably makes $2 for every $1 that the oil companies make in profit, talk about a crime. Anyway, I didn't read anywhere in the constitution about the gov't responsibility to protect us from high prices.

Lake Winnipesaukee, (lake content, something our two posts need )
See attached link. The number one priority is to provide affordable energy.
http://www.energy.gov/about/index.htm
Old 05-07-2007, 08:13 PM   #40
wehatetoquitit

Just came off a week fishing trip to Lake Shasta, in Northern California---$4.59/gal. at the Marina
wehatetoquitit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #41
Water Camper

Default Lakeport Gas

Gas at Lakeport Landing was $3.18 on Monday, 5/7/2007.

Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:50 PM   #42
Marie

$3.45 at Weirs on Tuesday.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:52 PM   #43
robmac

if you have and enjoy boating nothing is cheap,I travel for work and I have paid higher prices for gas.I certainly would prefer to pay less but will still use my boat and enjoy it but when leaving the dock be more destination concious than just driving
Old 05-11-2007, 09:32 AM   #44
AC2717

Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossipeeboater
even figuring real estate taxes we still end up among the lowest. RE taxes are high but I pay less between 2 houses here in NH than I would with 1 house and the income and property taxes of any of our neighboring states.

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lis...005/index.html

I dunno how much truth this would hold. I pay only $300 less a year for my cottage taxes on a bldg, no land, that is only 410sqft, than I do for my 1600sqft home on 5500sqft of land in Rhode Island.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:37 PM   #45
Seadoo

3.30 @ lakeport and expecting to go up
Seadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #46
boat_guy64

Default Gas

$3.44 at Mountain View Yacht Club. $180 for a fill up. It was a beautiful day on the lake and worth every penny.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:37 PM   #47
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay
I just got several emails from friends with a message about a nationwide boycott. The message said we should all avoid buying gas on May 15th and see what happens. According to this message the last time this was tried a year or so ago the prices dropped that week. Maybe if we all do the 1 day boycott more people will get the message than if we write to our congressmen. Haven't seen that effort work too well here in NJ.
If you check out the "urban legend" websites, you will see the logic that shoots this whole theory down. Not everyone would be able to not buy gas on the 15th. Even if they preplanned to not buy on the 15th, they would buy early on the 14th or 15th, or stretch it out to the 16th. You (they) will still buy the same amount of gas.

Sorry, the logic behind a boycott just doesn't fit.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:24 AM   #48
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee
If you check out the "urban legend" websites, you will see the logic that shoots this whole theory down. Not everyone would be able to not buy gas on the 15th. Even if they preplanned to not buy on the 15th, they would buy early on the 14th or 15th, or stretch it out to the 16th. You (they) will still buy the same amount of gas.

Sorry, the logic behind a boycott just doesn't fit.
Makes sense, it would probably be more effective if everyone would just not drive for one day a week for a few weeks. If we could get at least half of the driving population to do this the it would spike the supply up pretty sharply I think.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:04 AM   #49
codeman671

Default Goin' broke...

$3.43 at Fay's yesterday on the pump, the sign said $3.39. After spending $420 to fill 2 boats this weekend my throttle hand will certainly be lighter this season...
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:08 AM   #50
robmac

I think we're going to see everyone alot lighter on the throttle if out much at all
Old 05-14-2007, 01:06 PM   #51
MJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac
your correct,ethanol reaches a saturation and drops to the bottom of your tank then getting picked up and put onto your fuel delivery system. First thing most boaters notice is an idling problem then stalling.Make sure your changing those fuel filters twice as often if you've run ethanol enriched fuel
As I recall from various threads,etc last Summer, gas with Ethanol is also a no-no for boats with fiberglass fuel tanks. Something about the Ethanol congealing, or something like that. We were VERY relieved to open the flooring of our boat to find a stainless tank...
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:09 PM   #52
robmac

MJM,what happens is the ethanol reaches a saturation point(its maximun absorption of water) and settles at the bottom of your fuel tank.That is where it gets picked up and put into the engine causing damage.It isn't as big a problem for automobile because of the change over of fuel(how quickly you burn a tank of fuel)and auto manufacturers still recommend upping how offten you change your fuel filter,if you go too long you'll find a grey mucus like substance it the filter which is the saturated ethanol
Old 05-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #53
jetskier

Default Ethanol Does Degrade Fiberglass Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM
As I recall from various threads,etc last Summer, gas with Ethanol is also a no-no for boats with fiberglass fuel tanks. Something about the Ethanol congealing, or something like that. We were VERY relieved to open the flooring of our boat to find a stainless tank...
Hi MJM,

You are correct. There is a deterioration of older fiberglass gas tanks due to ethanol. . The other problem is that ethanol is hygroscopic (likes water) and will absorb water. That is why it is recommended that the tank be topped for storage.

Hope this helps.

Jetskier

http://www.boatus.com/Seaworthy/fueltest.asp
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:42 PM   #54
Coastal Laker

Smile Good news about gas prices: more slips available

I guess I shouldn't complain about the high gas prices this year, though I know I will the first time I need to tank up. I filled up before launching to save what I could. Anyway, I found out pretty late that I wasn't getting my coveted boat slip and started to panic that I wouldn't be able to find another one. No problem. They're available everywhere! I spoke to a marina sales manager that I know who said slips are available all over the lake, some marinas don't even have a waiting list. This one marina was still selling new boats like crazy.

It's still a mystery how one marina can have another record year for boat sales with these gas prices. It's no surprise to me that there'd be more slips available. Perhaps the new boat buyers haven't figured out yet how much the gas is going to cost them for that 80 gallon tank and the ones that have been on the lake a number of years bailed out of their high priced boat slips to save money. Who knows. But at least I got a slip now, whew! I really didn't want to go back to trailering... truck sucks too much gas when towing.
Coastal Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:48 AM   #55
Just Sold

Exclamation Fill it UP

Filled the tank on Sunday at Fay's - 45 Gal @$3.50 9/10. You do the math. Even with a 70 gallon tank and a 260 hp engine I cannot complain as my boat is not a gas hog comparatively speaking. Of course if you were to keep the throttle at or near wide open the gas just does dissapear.

According to Fay's they are having a good year selling new and used boats so the gas prices do not seem to be a problem. Just look at their web site and you do see a lot of the used inventory moving and new listings for used boats being added frequently. They, as I believe, are doing something very right.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:43 AM   #56
fatlazyless

Gas prices and the weather seem to have made the lake very quiet since before Memorial Day....my little four stroke runs off a six gal porta-plastic tank and a two-gal backup so's thats' about 8 x 3 = $24.00 for a half day of slowly cruising around at 15mph, up on plane, and looking to find those fun big waves from the cabin cruisers. Who says big waves are no fun....bring em on! Old slow and steady wins the race! Anyone know where I can get one of those old bumper stickers that says "I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you!"
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:41 PM   #57
Coastal Laker

Default FYI - Lakeport Landing $3.30 a gallon

Tanked up on Sunday at Lakeport since they're usually a bit lower than others.
Coastal Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:46 PM   #58
AC2717

Default Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Laker
Tanked up on Sunday at Lakeport since they're usually a bit lower than others.
better than Channel and Thurston's at $3.59 a gallon this weekend
Old 06-12-2007, 01:10 PM   #59
codeman671

Default Shep's and Y gas prices

Sheps was $3.52 and Y Landing was $3.66 if memory serves me correctly- from Sunday.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:40 PM   #60
Stinger

Thurston's was $3.59 last Sunday.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:20 AM   #61
Mink Islander

Default Gas Prices

The "Y" sells 92 (or higher octane -- can't remember) which explains it's price relative to others.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:51 PM   #62
LIforrelaxin

Default 19 mile 3.39

The Price at the pump this weekend at 19 mile was 3.39 for 89 octane. Also in talking to the girl at the pump she mentioned that the owner this year wants to try and keep the price low to attract the gas bussiness he has been loosing do to his high prices, in past years......
Old 06-18-2007, 07:36 AM   #63
baja-mama

Default Lakeport landing was 3.11 last Friday

Lowest price on the lake
baja-mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #64
Seadoo

3.11 @ lakeport and i heard they are staying open till 8 friday and Sat. now!!
Old 06-18-2007, 08:46 PM   #65
Weekend Pundit

Post Gas In Glendale/Smith Cove

Gas at Fay's was $3.50/gal last I checked. Gas at Glendale Marine (dry rack) was $3.74 as of today.

Cheapest I've seen has been Lakeport Landing, but then, they've always been less expensive than anybody else over the last few years.

Has Thurston's opened their gas dock yet? I went by there last week and it had no prices posted and didn't appear to be open.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:08 PM   #66
jrc

Mountain View was around 3.44 on Sunday. I have CRS so I might be a little off. It was at least a dime cheaper than Channel.

We all know Lakeport is consistently the best price, but I hardly ever go that far down Paugus. Is any marina consistently the second cheapest?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:49 AM   #67
AC2717

Default thurston's

Has Thurston's opened their gas dock yet? I went by there last week and it had no prices posted and didn't appear to be open.[/QUOTE]

It has been open every now and then throughout the weekend but no idea if they will be open steady. I beleive that they own the gas dock but they rent it out to someone else, they do not run the gas operations. that is my belief and understanding but I may be wrong.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:26 AM   #68
AC2717

Exclamation Gas Prices

Heading up This weekend, leaving Thursday night, need to gas up the boat to the top on Friday morning, can I get a quick recap of prices for the Pagus bay area and possibly Meredith area? Mainly Lakeport landing, Irwin or Channel or Thurston's.
thank you
Old 06-26-2007, 03:24 PM   #69
sgold44

Channel was $3.51 on Sunday
sgold44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:53 PM   #70
Paugus Bay Resident

Irwins is down to 3.39 from 3.56 a few days ago.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:26 PM   #71
Resident 2B

Default Gas Prices

As of yesterday afternoon, gas was $3.59 at Thurston's and at the Weirs and $3.51 at Channel.

I did not have a chance to see the price at Lakeport, but if it is $3.39 at Irwin's, I would guess it is below $3.25 at Lakeport. However, this is a guess.

R2B
Old 06-28-2007, 07:50 AM   #72
AC2717

Default thank you All

I will see you on the water tomorrow morning, I am heading up tonight right after work!
Old 06-28-2007, 06:48 PM   #73
Aquadeziac

Default Gas

Gassed up Sunday at Lakeport at $3.18 gal.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #74
hazelnut

Thumbs up Pier 19

To any and all residents close to Pier 19, especially Islanders.

I rely on the convenience of Pier 19 for groceries (Bread, Water, Milk, Beer) on a very regular basis. They are making a legitimate attempt at keeping competitive with their gas prices this year. They were 3.48 =/- a penny this week. I filled up both boats there and commented on the competitive pricing. I would like to see this trend continue through the summer as I always fill up the small boat there. So if you feel like I do give them a chance for gas. They have done an excellent job with this store and they deserve the business they get. Ice Cream is good, Chester Chicken is good, Beer is cold, service is friendly and now the gas price is competitive!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:12 AM   #75
JTA

If you come from Connecticut, the marina gas prices don't look bad at all.
Yes, Pier 19 store is a great asset to this part of the lake (Tuftonboro).
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:49 PM   #76
NHskier

Thurston's price dropped 20 cents on Saturday to $3.39.

NHskier
NHskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:21 PM   #77
Weekend Pundit

Default Price At Fay's

The price at Fay's Boat Yard was still $3.50/gal as of noon today (Sunday).
Old 07-01-2007, 08:29 PM   #78
Seadoo

3.179 @ lakeport today they dropped a couple of cents but inside sources tell me they are expecting a rise again...
Old 07-06-2007, 07:39 AM   #79
ApS

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadeziac
Gassed up Sunday at Lakeport at $3.18 gal.
Cheaper by 50¢ per gallon than reported last year, elsewhere on the lake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatlazyless
"...Gas prices and the weather seem to have made the lake very quiet since before Memorial Day..."
FLL, it's quieter for some reason other than the price of gas.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #80
Weekend Pundit

Default A few gas prices for 7/6/07

I checked a few gas prices today (Friday) on my way over to Lakeport Landing. Here's what I found:

Fay's Boat Yard: still $3.509
Thurston's: $3.399
Channel Marine: $3.429
Irwin's: $3.399
Lakeport Landing: $3.189

I also swang by Anchor Marine at the Weirs, but they didn't have their prices posted and I didn't get close enought to their pumps to read the price.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:08 PM   #81
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Pundit
I checked a few gas prices today (Friday) on my way over to Lakeport Landing. Here's what I found:

Fay's Boat Yard: still $3.509
Irwin's: $3.399
Lakeport Landing: $3.189

I also swang by Anchor Marine at the Weirs, but they didn't have their prices posted and I didn't get close enought to their pumps to read the price.
Y Landing was $3.62 Today
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:02 AM   #82
jonr

3.449 at Silver Sands 7/8/07
jonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:15 PM   #83
MJM

Paid $3.57 at Andrew's Marine all week
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:59 PM   #84
codeman671

Default Up or down, which is it???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second
Cheaper by 50¢ per gallon than reported last year, elsewhere on the lake!

FLL, it's quieter for some reason other than the price of gas.
According to Weekend Pundit's post on 7/3/06, almost a year to date prior to their new post on 7/6/07 gas is in fact up, not down by $.50 as you mention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekend pundit
Headed out early this morning to gas up at Lakeport Landing: $3.03. At Irwin $3.25: Channel Marine $3.29; Thurston's $3.24; and Fay's $3.33 . All were 89 octane.
The above was found on the post listed above by APS, again dated 7/3/06.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:52 AM   #85
ApS

Red face Math's off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671
According to Weekend Pundit's post on 7/3/06, almost a year to date prior to their new post on 7/6/07 gas is in fact up, not down by $.50 as you mention.
Stinger reported Downing's at $3.69 in 2006.
Lakeport is reporting $3.18 for 2007—so I'm wrong.

You could spend 51¢ less per gallon on the lake this year.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:49 PM   #86
KTO

Late last week I paid 3.19 at Lakeport.

I happened to be in the area, so I figured, even though I was close to full...but hey, with gas that cheap
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:40 PM   #87
Paugus Bay Resident

Quote:
Stinger reported Downing's at $3.69 in 2006.
Downings was always the most expensive on the lake; they don't sell gas this year
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #88
Weekend Pundit

Thumbs up Gas Prices as of 7/23/2007

I made the rounds yesterday on my way to Lakeport Landing to buy gas. Here's what I saw:

Fay's: Still $3.509
Irwin: $3.299
Lakeport Landing: $3.079

I didn't see anyone filling up at any place except Lakeport, and they had almost a dozen boats waiting to gas up when I arrived.

Fortunately I didn't have to wait all that long because there was one space at the dock that could only take boats under 22 feet in length. The crew at the gas dock would whistle up the shorter boats to move into that spot to gas up. That way they were able to make use of all the pumps rather than only three of the four.

Our wait was all of 10 minutes and it only took us about 5 minutes to gas up (our runabout only holds 30 gallons and I pumped about 22 gallons).

Still, the only limiting factor was how much gas boats were taking on. The gas crew worked quickly and I doubt that anyone had to wait more than 15 minutes to pull up at the pump.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:05 PM   #89
weeble

Default Gas

Filled up today in 19 Mile Bay, $3.49.

Was getting low on Sunday and went by Trexlers and they were out of gas. Price $3.89. Has to be the highest on the lake
weeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:28 PM   #90
sa meredith

Default 3.89?????????

3.89...is that true?
Interesting. I'm certainly not trying to start a rumor, but a very good friend of mine owned a Sunoco station for many years.And he told me, several times, when an independently owned station is pricing their gas way over the "market", it's because of one of two reasons...
1. They owe their supplier and can't afford to pay them, so they over price what they do have, figuring if they sell it, it might as well be worth their while, because they may not have more for a while.
2. Their past problems have put them on a COD basis with their suppier, and the cash is not in place, so with no delivery forth coming the same as above applies.
Why would they price their gas 12 to 14 percent higher than everyone else?
Is there that much traffic over by long island?
Seems strange.
And, as you stated in your post..."they were out of gas."
The theory may have some truth.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:47 PM   #91
Captain Zipper

Default Silver Sands

I gassed up towards the end of last week and they had just dropped the price to $3.24 or thereabouts. They had dropped it about 25 cents in one swoop. My luck usually isn't that good.
Captain Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:59 AM   #92
boater222

wow went past Channel Marine last night (7/30) they dropped to $3.299
boater222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:07 AM   #93
Resident 2B

Default Under $3.....!!!

Gassed up at Lakeport Landing Saturday morning.

$2.999 a gallon and no line at all since it was raining a little at the time.

Irwin Marine was $3.299 so you save $.30 a gallon just by going through the rail road bridge. With such a low flow at the dam, the current was unnoticable.

R2B
Old 07-31-2007, 05:38 PM   #94
KTO

I want to know how fair this is...

At Shep's this past week the gas was 3.35 (or something close) but then the weekend it shoots to 3.60...the reason: they forgot to add on the taxes!!! Why should we suffer for their mistake???
Old 08-07-2007, 07:51 AM   #95
SIKSUKR

Did Sheps force that nozzle into your fill tube? Pretty simple.Don't buy it.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #96
Kamper

Default Monthly gas thread?

Maybe we should post a new "Gas Thread" each month with current prices. Something like "Gas August '07" or "Feel the pain August '07."
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:33 PM   #97
KTO

Quote:
Did Sheps force that nozzle into your fill tube? Pretty simple.Don't buy it.
While you are 100% right, I still don't think it's fair that the price be placed on the people for their mistake. While they have the right to do that, it's still a bit rediculous.

I'm still going to use Sheps, for example it was at 3.39 today.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:53 PM   #98
Rinkerfam

I did a double take while going by Lakeport on Sat. I was amazed to see $2.97. I filled up on the way back in. Irwin was some 30 cents more. The kid working the pump at Lakeport said that they like to reward their customers for taking the huge risk of going under the railroad bridge (tongue in cheek)
Old 08-08-2007, 07:40 AM   #99
kjbathe

Default Fay's still at $3.50...

... yesterday with two boats on the dock, and two more waiting in line. I don't think the price has changed since May. Then again, there's something to be said for predictability in the gas budget
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:34 AM   #100
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbathe
... yesterday with two boats on the dock, and two more waiting in line. I don't think the price has changed since May. Then again, there's something to be said for predictability in the gas budget
LOL. I predict your wallet will be lighter than need be, but we do pay for convenience.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote