Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-14-2007, 07:53 PM   #1
boat_guy64

Question Snap canvas fasteners

Looking for some Forum wisdom,

I need to repair several snap canvas fasteners on my boat. I've pulled several of the snap studs out of the fiberglass over the past two years. How do I fix them? Should I use an epoxy or is there another solution? It seems that an epoxy would become brittle and break over a period of time. I appreciate your ideas and solutions. Thanks.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
secondcurve

I am unsure how to fix your problem, but going foward use vaseline when you are snapping the fastners and it will be less likely they will break in the future.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:40 AM   #3
ApS

Arrow

Option 1) If I was faced with this repair on a vertical surface (and the opposite side wasn't accessible), I'd unravel a long thread from fiberglass cloth or tape and wrap it around the threads until it's slightly fatter than the hole. Cut up some more cloth into very fine pieces and stir it into a separate batch of epoxy resin.

Wearing disposable gloves, put a generous dollop of the above epoxy resin mix into the hole, and spread it around inside the hole with a bent wire or paper clip.

Soak the snap's fiberglass-wrapped thread with clear epoxy, and wiggle the screw (or stud) into the hole and clamp/brace it in place. Put masking tape under the holes to control the excess outside. Any excess epoxy inside helps to hold the snap in place. A small patch of fiberglass cloth should be taped to the backside (if accessible) to strengthen the repair when soaked with epoxy resin. This repair presupposes that a big chunk of deck hasn't been pulled out—then it's on to option two.

Because snaps can be a highly-stressed piece of hardware, I'd use West® epoxy for the best "grab".

As you suggest, this repair would likely have to be done again even if you used the latest optional epoxy wizardry available. (Fillers, thickeners, beads).

Option 2) If the failed snaps are close to one another, you might consider using a saber saw to remove a nearby flat (or slightly curved) section of deck or bulkhead. Then install studded snaps with a washer and nut to hold them in place. You would not have to use epoxy for this repair—or replace the snaps—again.

Then install a 3", 4", 6" or 8" round, watertight, plastic access port ($6+up) to close the access hole. Installing one or a few can be done in one afternoon. Installed with foresight, access to the other snaps, antennae, windshield (or any other accessory hardware) by means of this port is assured for another day. The "pop-in" type are the cheapest and most watertight of the ports available. This port is the "screw-in" type:

Round access ports can be purchased from most marinas having a sailboat inventory. Accessories for these ports are available to keep snacks dry or to keep pollen, spray and dust from sensitive items.

Larger rectangular ports are available, but the round ones are the easiest to install and pretty strong, as they can be walked on.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:32 AM   #4
Dave R

There's epoxy available specifically for repairing fiberglass that ought to work perfectly. Not sure if I'd fill the hole carefully and then re-drill when the epoxy is cured, or just try to glue the snap stud in place.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:53 AM   #5
Kamper

Do you have access to the other side? If you use a backing washer you can pop-rivet them into place. If you dont have the washers handy then use use another snap. They do make stainless steel rivets if you dont want to use the aluminum ones but they are a special order..

Good luck!
Kamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2007, 06:54 AM   #6
DRH

Default Epoxy Works Well

I've glued pulled-out snap studs back into their holes in the fiberglass using epoxy and they have held fine. None has ever pulled out again.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:28 AM   #7
Paugus Bay Resident

There's a product called Marine Tex that works great.
http://www.marinetex.com/PRODUCT%20P...rod%20info.htm

Most marinas carry it.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:58 PM   #8
jrc

Like PBR says use this:

Cut off a small piece, knead it into a ball, stick it on the back of the snap, put the snap back in the hole. Maybe a little tape to hold in place until it cures. It will last for years.

Once you buy this stuff you will use for everything. Usually I cut off too much for one snap, so I fix any that feel loose.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:23 PM   #9
boat_guy64

Smile problem solved

I took the advice of several of the responses.

1. I used marine lubricant on all of the snaps (looks like vaseline but more expensive) and it sure does make it a lot easier to snap and unsnap my canvas these days. I used a Q-tip to apply it. Worked great.

2. I purchased the marine tex putty stick. I put some in the holes and then as it just began to harden, I screwed the screws back in. I had about twenty of them that were loose and about 5 that I could just pull out. They are all tight and hopefully will last a long time.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:38 AM   #10
Dave M

Default Marine-Tex Putty stick

I've tried to purchase the Marine-Tex putty stick but nobody seems to carry it. Have checked a few Marinas and West Marine. They have something similiar but most have the kit. Are there places that the forum could mention that actual have this item. Boat_guy64 mentions buying some.

Also purchased the snap kit, works great.

Thanks for the help.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:19 PM   #11
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M
I've tried to purchase the Marine-Tex putty stick but nobody seems to carry it. Have checked a few Marinas and West Marine. They have something similiar but most have the kit. Are there places that the forum could mention that actual have this item. Boat_guy64 mentions buying some.

Also purchased the snap kit, works great.

Thanks for the help.

Dave M
Old 08-28-2007, 09:09 PM   #12
boat_guy64

Default Marine Tex putty stick

I purchased it at Parafunalia in Gilford across from Mountain View Yacht Club.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:14 PM   #13
GWC...

When all else fails, try eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Marin...3931QQtcZphoto