Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
Jeanzb1

Default Florida to NH ????

We are very seriously thinking and talking about selling our Florida home and moving permanently to NH. Some people think we're crazy to trade 80 degrees in January for ice and snow, but we miss New England and all four seasons. So please share with us what expenses we can expect to incur once we are NH residents. I know there is no income tax, but there is a tax on dividend and interest income, and I know about the high real estate taxes, but what else are we overlooking? THANK YOU!
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
8gv

Meals tax...9%.

No Sonny's BBQ.

Maybe downsize FL and go there for only the coldest months?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:14 AM   #3
Mr. V

Rural NH lacks the quality health care available to retirees in metro Fla.
Mr. V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
Belmont Resident

Default $1000.00

A month for home heating oil
Wouldn't trade NE for anywhere else on the East coast.
Now if we could only get some big snowstorms to make it a real winter
Old 01-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #5
songkrai

You don't state your general ages.

If you qualify for membership in AARP then you should really give all some serious considerations.

It is frigid cold here for about 10 weeks. You have to shovel the snow. Or work a snowthrower. Pay to have driveway plowed or do yourself.

Ice is a big issue. Whether walking or driving.
Myself - I fall down at least once per winter. Ice under snow. Walking in a dark area. Or just not paying very very close attention to ground.

Every snow storm there is at least one car accident in my town. Sometimes more. Usually when snow storm begins before all plows/salt/sand is put down. People either going too fast or tires on cars are worn. AWD or 4WD does little help on ice.

Depending on where your choose to live - shopping can be a real chore.

Home maintenance can cost much more here. Wood homes with asphalt shingles. Seems to be either painting the home or replacing the roof.
Depending on age of home heating costs can be quite high.

Social activities can be limited. Of course, there are church activities, civic organizations, and volunteer activities to keep busy.

Do you have family here?

Can you afford one home here and one in Florida?

If I had been living in Florida for many years - I would not pack up and leave for cold climates. Just because I had some romantic views of New England.

Possibly do a winter rental for one winter. There are many homes in the Lakes Region that have reasonable and seasonal rents from September to May. Try it out first.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #6
Rusty

Auto Inspection.

All New Hampshire registered vehicles require a safety inspection to be conducted within ten (10) days of the registration. After the initial inspection, registered vehicles must be re-inspected every year, no later than ten (10) days after the end of the owner's birth month.

Below is a list of items which are included in the general inspection process:

•Registration, plates, registration certificate and vehicle identification number.
•Steering, front end and suspension.
•Brakes, including parking brake.
•Odometer and speedometer.
•Electrical system, horn and defroster.
•Lights and reflectors, including headlight aim.
•Glass, glazing and mirrors.
•Wipers.
•Exhaust system.
•On-board diagnostics system. Vehicles with a model year 1996 or newer must have an On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) test as part of the inspection process. On-Board Diagnostics is a computer-based system built into all 1996 and newer light-duty passenger vehicles to monitor the performance of some of the engine's major components, including emission control components. The OBD system helps the motorist know if their vehicle has a defect that could cause excess pollution.
•Body, chassis and bumper height.
•Fuel system.
•Tires and wheels.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
dpg

Leave Florida for New England winters??? As other people stated your not fully describing your current situation. I'm of the impression you have the means to come up here in the summer months (obviously just a guess.) I'm in my early fifties but hope to be able to leave N.E. for the winter some day, we'll see. I could understand not like the south in the summer it does get miserably hot down there.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 View Post
"...Some people think we're crazy to trade 80 degrees in January..."
I'm among those "same people"—so, logically...

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
Justenuff

Default Half-Back?

My parents love being half backs!
For those who don't know, it's a person that lived in New England and moved to FL when they retired. Now they live half way back in North Carolina, in the mountains.
The NC mountains get summer and winter. Snow, although it does come in spurts, usually melts off with in a day or so.
SC is even cheaper.
Justenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
Jeanzb1

Thank you for all your insight. To answer your questions -- we are both mid-60s, retired for five years, and have lived in MA all our lives with summer ties to Lake Winni. Sold our MA home five years ago and moved into our FL condo on the ocean for six months and rented on the lake for six months. This will be our 5th year on Winni, and, needless to say, we LOVE THE LAKE! Now, we've realized how much we miss the four seasons and our kids and grandkids up north. On top of that, we are sick of high-rise condo living for half the year. Decisions, decisions, decisions.......

Last edited by Jeanzb1; 01-14-2013 at 08:29 AM. Reason: omission
Old 01-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #11
fpartri497

here Is another thought, I havent tried it myself yet but am really considering It. Seasonal house swapping !! ! I have heard It mostly works well. you simply swap homes with people that want a change of seasons without a lot of expense. again just a thought.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #12
Belmont Resident

Default Livin in NH

I must be a die hard New Englander.
I look forward to my days in the truck plowing snow and shoveling out my plow customers, both my wife and I just love winters and the snow. Driving isn't bad if your not afraid of it and have the proper vehicle for the conditions.

We drive north 200 miles to get away from the crowds of NH and head to Maine to snowmobile. We ride in conditions that are usually down near zero and love every minute of it.
There is nothing worse then a cloudy rainy dreary winter without snow.
And I'm in my 50's, hopefully I still feel the same way when I'm in my 60's.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
snoman

Default Think SNOW

leaving FL today can't wait to get home.THINK SNOW
snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #14
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Well what you spend here on winter heat is offset by the summer savings on A/C.
Otherwise it is a pretty boring cycle for us.

In the spring there is ice out, first ride in the Slickcraft and opening camp on Welch.

In the summer there is bike riding, sporting clays shooting, horse riding for MS. SC, hiking in the Belknap range and camp on Welch.

In the fall there are leaf peeping bike rides, hiking and closing the camp on Welch.

In the winter there is skiing at Gunstock, showshoe hikes, indoor shooting at the Belmont range and walks over to Welch (some years).

In the spring ………………….
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #15
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Seasoned Seasonal residence.

Let's see, I spent a few months in Florida, Arizona, Colorado and Florida. I am a native from the Lakes Region.

I would prefer Florida over Arizona mainly because I love to boat the Intercoastal. Lake Havasu is awesome but it just doesn't have the taste of the Keys.

I would prefer Colorado over NH during the winter, as the ski and snowmobile conditions are much better in CO. Summit County has a wealth of winter things to do.

Having a condo in NH and a condo in CO. I have no problem with maintenance. Oil is high so both places have gas heating.

I swap units many time with other condo/home owners. It is a fun way to spend a month or so in another section of the U.S.

So I spend a few weeks in CO, a few in FL. and the rest of the time in dear old NH.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #16
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Driving isn't bad if your not afraid of it and have the proper vehicle for the conditions.
It's not my driving I worry about...it's the other guy!

GG
gillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #17
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
It's not my driving I worry about...it's the other guy!

GG
Could not agree more. What gets me is those who venture out and crawl along with a line a mile long behind them. If you are that afraid of the conditions then stay home. What could be that important?
Or the ones with bad tires, they should be fined for being on the road and jeopardizing our lives.
You think it's bad driving a car try driving around with an 8-9 foot blade in front of you. It does get drivers to move over though!!!
FYI I have not been in an accident with another vehicle in, actually I do not remember but I think it was 97. That was due to me avoiding someone who lost control on an icy overpass, oh and that didn't involve another vehicle, I hit the guard rail. I drove it home but it got totaled. That was when I bought the best truck I've ever owned, 1997 Toyota T-100 Extended cab 4X4.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #18
Irish Choppers

Default Thoughts on FLA to NH

Come back home to the Lake and your family! I presently live in MA and have a place on the Lake in Meredith. I lived in Miami in the 80's for five years working as a Narcotics Detective. Both of our kids were born in Miami and we became terribly homesick for our family and New England. Our future plan is to eventually make Meredith our permanent home, be two hours from Boston, the kids and hopefully one day grand kids. The holidays here were so beautiful. Walking Meredith Village on a beautiful sunny morning in the crisp fresh winter air, white glistening snow and sun bouncing off the lake is so special. Come back to the Lake and find that special place you and your family deserve. Get out from under those Condo fees and crazy Florida property taxes. If you do your due diligence, there is tremendous opportunities in Lakes Region Real Estate. You'll be able to sneak away every year for 3-4 weeks down to Florida and be ready to get back home to the Lake! As a quick side note, I'm betting you guys can't wait to get that new boat of yours in the water!
Irish Choppers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Choppers For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (01-15-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #19
LadyJane

There are ups and downs to every place that you live. But if I read between the lines, it sounds like you want to be in N.H. Your kids and grands are up north. You're only getting older.....you'll want to be near them. Yes, the winters are hard, but if you've grown up in Ma. it wont' be a big surprise to you. I live in Ct. and actually it was a few degrees warmer in Meredith today than it was here in north central Ct. Follow your heart. I would love to live in N.H. but right now I cannot. So, I go up there when I need my fix, and if it's not stormy next week, I'll be coming up. It's beautiful there any season, you just have to adjust to the changes that the seasons bring. Let us know what you decide !
LadyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LadyJane For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #20
Jeanzb1

Default To "Irish Choppers"

YOU BET WE CAN'T WAIT!!!! We talk about it many times a day. Chomping at the bit!
Old 01-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #21
Diver Vince

My advice, sell the place in FL and move up here full time. Take a getaway vacation for 4 weeks in the winter to a warm weather destination. Me? I prefer Bonaire over FL but's that's purely a personal decision since I like to dive.
Diver Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #22
Mirror Lake's BB

Default Inheritance Tax

5 years ago, my dad passed away at his residence in NH. If your estate is below a certain threshold there isn't any inheritance tax. I think it was $1M or $1.5M (I think these amounts are incorrect). Something to keep in mind. Perhaps someone on the Forum knows what the current law is.

Last edited by Mirror Lake's BB; 01-15-2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: $1M-1.5M is probably not accurate, can't recall
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #23
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror Lake's BB View Post
5 years ago, my dad passed away at his residence in NH. If your estate is below a certain threshold there isn't any inheritance tax. I think it was $1M or $1.5M (I think these amounts are incorrect). Something to keep in mind. Perhaps someone on the Forum knows what the current law is.
Federal exemption is $5m indexed to inflation, may be 5.25M or so this year. The state of NH has no estate tax.

http://www.kiplinger.com/tool/retire...Hampshire&si=1
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Mirror Lake's BB (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #24
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Federal exemption is $5m indexed to inflation, may be 5.25M or so this year. The state of NH has no estate tax.

http://www.kiplinger.com/tool/retire...Hampshire&si=1
I thought the exemption changed to 1 million in the "Death Tax" as of January 1, 2013?? I could be wrong...
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #25
camp guy

Default Florida to NH ????

If you can possibly swing it, maybe you could rent out your Florida home and also rent a place to live up here for a year to see if this is really what you want. If you decide to stay, offer the Florida home to the renters for a buy out price, purchase something up here, and enjoy life.

Most of the times when someone posts the question of moving on this site the subject of renting comes up. I agree wholeheartedly that renting gives you the flexibility of finding a place, and an area, you really like. You seem to be pretty settled in your desire to move, and there is nothing wrong with that, but it probably wouldn't hurt to take some time to really look around and see where you want to live.

You said you are a boater, so that answers some questions, but there may still be lots of other issues to settle.

My best to you, Happy New Year.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #26
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I think you might be mixing up the federal estate tax and the NH inheritence tax. NH used to have one for realtives like sisters and brothers or aunts and uncles, but not if it was passed on to children. That has since been abolished. But who wouldn't be surprised to see it brought back at some point?

The federal government has an estate tax too and that is for everybody, children included. I think the 5 million still stands despite disagreement over it in the recent tax fight where those making over $400,000 ($450,000 married) pay more taxes and everybody now has gone back to the full payroll taxes (Social Security and Medicare)
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #27
Merrymeeting

Everyone's tax situation is somewhat different, you should consult with your tax adviser, your mileage may vary, etc., etc.

But, my parents were/are NH residents with property in FL. My dad, who was pretty savvy on these things, researched the pros and cons of residence and taxes in each state. I've been managing their finances for the past several years and have concluded the same.

Namely (and in general), the two states are similar in their treatment of retirees and estates. While there are differences, and some benefits in some areas over others, the tax and financial choices between the states are close.
In general and given the choice, you should choose where your heart and mind are most comfortable.

They chose NH :-)
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #28
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I thought the exemption changed to 1 million in the "Death Tax" as of January 1, 2013?? I could be wrong...
The act passed on Jan 2, 2013 fixed this, never went back to $1m (well for one day maybe but the act is retroactive to 1/1/13).
http://www.mondaq.com/unitedstates/x...e+January+2013
ishoot308 (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #29
Diver Vince

The Federal Estate Tax for 2013 is 5 mil. This is of course linked to the unified gift tax credit taking into consideration all gifts greater than the gift tax exemption (14k for 2013). We have a bunch of turkeys in Washington and our tax policies are the laughing stock of the world.

Uncle Sam feels he's getting screwed by not collecting capital gains when the owner is still alive. At death the recipient receives a stepped up cost basis, ie the value of the asset when the donor dies. If the donee received the gift when the donor was still alive, the donee would inherit the donor's cost basis. Clear as mud?
Old 01-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #30
NoBozo

I have another take when it comes to weighing Taxes Vs Quality Of Life in your retirement years. Quality Of Life trumps the other. It's YOUR LIFE... AND you can't take your money with you. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Plumberswife (02-23-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #31
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
The act passed on Jan 2, 2013 fixed this, never went back to $1m (well for one day maybe but the act is retroactive to 1/1/13).
http://www.mondaq.com/unitedstates/x...e+January+2013
So I was right for a day...I'll take it! That's better odds than I have with my wife!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #32
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Californians

Explains why you don't see many Californians moving up here.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/_6t-Ej...layer_embedded
Old 01-15-2013, 11:40 PM   #33
Flylady

Ha Ha,
Jimmy is right on! While I have been here over 30 years, it still is funny to see my co workers coming into the office with wool coats, gloves, scarf and hat and winter boots because its 45 degree out in the morning!
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #34
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default A few thoughts

If you are "sick of high rise condo living" why not try a one level first floor condo, single family or town house? That is one of the things I thought about when I had a single family built in 2006 in southwest Florida. One level living for when mobility becomes a problem and an easy walk into the house from the garage when carrying groceries etc. I have family members that have a 10th floor unit near Sarasota but every time I visit it and take the elevator up feels like a hotel, not a home.

The trees and shrubs are always green in Florida and the roads always look clean. It has ranged between 81 and 83 every day for the past 7 days. What's to dislike?

I used to get a little depressed all winter waiting for summer to come back. When the skies turn cloudy and grey I am ready to leave Gilford. I winterize the house so the NH utility bills are minimal and the Florida bills are very reasonable. I really think that my total utility bills for the year are less than if I stayed in Gilford all year. Your cars will last longer if you don't drive them in salt all winter too. I have also noticed that the windshield on the Florida car does not get all pitted like it does up north because the sand is not coming up from the road and sandblasting it as you drive.

I got to a point where I didn't enjoy driving in snow or being stuck in the house when it snowed because I was always worried about what the "other guy" on the road was going to do. I don't care to ever get in a cold car or scrape the ice off of a windshield again! And, my Florida car is always clean.

So, my answer to the question is you should live somewhere where you can wear shorts and boat shoes all year long. But, I have been fortunate to boat on Winnipesaukee every summer for the last 40 years and I wouldn't miss that for anything. As nice as Florida is right now I am still looking forward to late April or early May and returning to the lake, opening the house up, and putting the boat in the water.

I know that is just my opinion and if you love winter and ski or snomobile, you will have an entirely different outlook.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
dpg (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #35
SIKSUKR

I think you did good making it 5 years.I only lasted 2 months and couldn't wait to get back.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #36
bearislandbaby

Rent out your Florida home. I miss the Lake so much but just a phone call to my brother-on Bear Is-telling me he;s snowed in and it's 2 below,no thanks.I'll stay here on the beach in the 80 degree weather and enjoy the lake via my computer!
bearislandbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #37
Jeanzb1

Smile

Thank you to all of you for your thoughts. We really appreciate all the comments, as it gives us lots to ponder.

At this point we don't know what we're going to do. This is a big decision for us. We're hoping that the answer will become clear to us over the course of the summer.

But one thing we do know for certain is that we're leaving Florida at the very end of March and cannot wait to get back to the lake, paradise, our favorite place on this entire planet.

And we're already anticipating the day we pick up our new boat at Shep Brown's, they take us out for an hour or two to show us how everything works, and then we motor off down the lake towards home for the very first time as new boat owners!!!! OMG, do you think we're just a little bit excited?!?!?!?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeanzb1 For This Useful Post:
bearislandbaby (04-17-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #38
mikea

Quote:
Thank you to all of you for your thoughts. We really appreciate all the comments, as it gives us lots to ponder.

At this point we don't know what we're going to do. This is a big decision for us. We're hoping that the answer will become clear to us over the course of the summer.

But one thing we do know for certain is that we're leaving Florida at the very end of March and cannot wait to get back to the lake, paradise, our favorite place on this entire planet.

And we're already anticipating the day we pick up our new boat at Shep Brown's, they take us out for an hour or two to show us how everything works, and then we motor off down the lake towards home for the very first time as new boat owners!!!! OMG, do you think we're just a little bit excited?!?!?!?
with envy! Really hope all goes well for you guys, that the correct decisions get made and you enjoy the new boat to the full...
mikea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikea For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (01-28-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #39
John A. Birdsall

Default Fl

Well 2011 took my parents back to Florida and they have stayed there. All I can say is thank heaven for air conditioning. They have no intentions of coming back to NH my mom loves the weather there and dad has a comftorable spot. Me. I have been down twice to see them, and I hate FL.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #40
jeffk

Default Tax info and ...

FYI - the tax on dividends and interest is only if you receive more than $2400 ($4800 for joint filers). That's pretty easy to work around by getting your earnings as capital gains instead. Also, you would have to have about $50,000 ($100,000 for joint) or more invested to accumulate that much.

The ice can be a problem for a day but if you're retired you can stay home on bad days. Mud season can be annoying if you live on dirt roads or have a dirt driveway. A bad mud season, because of lots of snow melt or rain, can be a real mess but it usually lasts in an area for only a week or so.

Winter time at the lake IS quiet but there are things going on. I am having dinner with friends this weekend and then going to a restaurant to see another friend performing for the evening. In two weeks the Winni players are doing "Big River". The following week I am going to Plymouth State, Silver Center to see Kathy Mattea. Then the following week to Portland, ME to see Celtic Women. You just need to look for stuff. There are also lots of small venue things going on.

That brings you to another issue. You have to DRIVE a bit to get to almost everything, more so in the winter since some activities are summer only and you need to travel to the more widely distributed venues.

If you don't mind the winter cold it's easy to set things up to manage the winter. My roof has insufficient pitch and ventilation and I need to shovel it off or I get bad ice build up, no fun. So you want to make sure your house is well built for winter, including excellent insulation. 2x6 walls help. Then you heating bills will be manageable. A mud room entry in the winter is helpful to dump wet things and keep cold out. A insulated garage usually holds temps above freezing and keeps snow off the car and allows it to melt if you accumulate some while out. You may want to consider a backup generator for power outages from heavy snow or ice storms. Sometimes the power can be out for days and while annoying in the summer, it's serious in the winter.

As far as I am concerned, this is the place to live. All winter issues can be worked around as long as you are OK with the cold. Many older people are not.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #41
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flylady View Post
Ha Ha,
Jimmy is right on! While I have been here over 30 years, it still is funny to see my co workers coming into the office with wool coats, gloves, scarf and hat and winter boots because its 45 degree out in the morning!
I was in FL last week (yes, I'll admit, it was nice to be there while the cold was here), and it does seem a bit ridiculous.

I went for my morning run on a day when it was a wonderful and comfortable 58 degrees in the early AM. In my shorts and t-shirt, sweating profusely, I was running by people wearing fleece, gloves, and ear muffs!
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #42
ApS

Red face Why We Are Seasonal Migrants...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall View Post
Well 2011 took my parents back to Florida and they have stayed there. All I can say is thank heaven for air conditioning. They have no intentions of coming back to NH my mom loves the weather there and dad has a comfortable spot. Me. I have been down twice to see them, and I hate FL.
That's a lot of territory to hate...

It can take me 12 hours to drive from Florida's southernmost point to Florida's panhandle city of Pensacola (FL). It can be 16º in Pensacola, while in the same hour it's 78º in Ft. Lauderdale.

It's mostly a state for the out-of-doors types, but many would live elsewhere if there was no air-conditioning available.

ETA:

...and then—there's this :

http://www.thatvideosite.com/v/7418/...ople-vs-winter

Last edited by ApS; 02-02-2013 at 04:53 AM. Reason: video
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
bearislandbaby (04-17-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #43
robmac

I couldn't live without the big lake however taking the family and boat to Port St.Lucie in the winter was perfect for us.Boating year round and meeting alot of new friends down south.BUT NEVER FULL TIME JUST COULDN'T BE AWAY FROM THE LAKE DURING THE SUMMER.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #44
Plumberswife

Well, we must be crazy too!!! hubbie and I own a House on a mountain in Ossipee, have every intention of retiring there, or sooner!!!! Hate the heat!! Love the four seasons
Old 02-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #45
Jeanzb1

To Plumber's Wife: We feel the same way! When it's 86 degrees and we're at the pool or on the beach, our friends down here in Florida think we're totally nuts to be envious of the snow, especially the big blizzards. But we are! There's nothing like the four seasons and there's nowhere on this planet that compares to New England!
Old 02-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #46
winnitru

I am in Florida right now and very envious of those enjoying NH in the winter. I am in awe of NH and embrace the lifestyle and the people with great enthusiasm. We truly had intended to spend more time at the lake when our youngest went to college this year, but our cove was so desolate, and the darkness by 5 pm was so dreary that we needed to get to some populated geography.
We will continue to stay until October, but until June we will visit for a week or two at a time. YMMV, good luck making your decision.
winnitru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winnitru For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-17-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #47
barefootbay

It's the human condition . If you guys were here you would be envious of the sun,pool and 86 degrees. Been there !
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:43 AM   #48
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnitru View Post
I am in Florida right now and very envious of those enjoying NH in the winter. I am in awe of NH and embrace the lifestyle and the people with great enthusiasm. We truly had intended to spend more time at the lake when our youngest went to college this year, but our cove was so desolate, and the darkness by 5 pm was so dreary that we needed to get to some populated geography.
We will continue to stay until October, but until June we will visit for a week or two at a time. YMMV, good luck making your decision.
My enthusiasm for the winter ran out with the last snow storm.

I'll get excited again after a nice long, hot summer and a crisp fall. The first snow fall always makes me feel like a kid. But until then (and for now)... I look at the dirty snow, my heating oil bill, and just say "meh."
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:08 AM   #49
dpg

Heading to Florida in a few weeks but just to catch a cruise. Now NOTHING compares to Grand Caymens, Bahamas, etc. I do love NH but not the winters.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #50
Greene's Basin Girl

I am in Florida for three weeks and I couldn't be happier. We left right after we received 14 inches of snow. As I age I prefer warm in the winter and NH warm in the summer.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #51
Jeanzb1

Well, Florida for six months gets old real fast. Especially when you live in a high-rise condo filled with lots of drama day in and day out. Hopefully, we are leaving Florida next Thursday and will arrive at the lake the following day. I think Florida is great for vacations (when the weather is warm and sunny) but it most definitely lacks the four seasons and the charm of New England. Cannot wait to get back to the lake. Anyone know when Sawyer's is opening?!?!?!?
Old 03-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #52
Slickcraft

Quote:
Well, Florida for six months gets old real fast. Especially when you live in a high-rise condo filled with lots of drama day in and day out. Hopefully, we are leaving Florida next Thursday and will arrive at the lake the following day. I think Florida is great for vacations (when the weather is warm and sunny) but it most definitely lacks the four seasons and the charm of New England. Cannot wait to get back to the lake. Anyone know when Sawyer's is opening?!?!?!?
April 12th, that will be just Fri - Sunday until Memorial Day.
http://www.sawyersnh.com/
Jeanzb1 (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #53
AB_Monterey

Quote:
I can't stand it for more than a couple months. We just got back on Sunday morning. We left on Jan 16 for Red Sox Fantasy camp and then spent the rest of Feb and Mar in the FT Myers area (with a brief stop in Miami for the half marathon).

By the time we got to the last few days, I was DONE. I'll take NH anyday.

BTW, Kissammee to Chester, 20.5 hrs. Left at 9:30am and was sitting in the local diner having my breakfast at 6:05 Sunday AM. I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #54
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB_Monterey View Post
I can't stand it for more than a couple months. We just got back on Sunday morning. We left on Jan 16 for Red Sox Fantasy camp and then spent the rest of Feb and Mar in the FT Myers area (with a brief stop in Miami for the half marathon).

By the time we got to the last few days, I was DONE. I'll take NH anyday.

BTW, Kissammee to Chester, 20.5 hrs. Left at 9:30am and was sitting in the local diner having my breakfast at 6:05 Sunday AM. I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.
That's quick...did Sarasota to Nashua in 23 hours a few years back, with wife and 3 teens. Fuel and pee stops only!! LOL
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #55
Diver Vince

Well Florida in the winter never really did anything for me. Being a diver, I have one of the greatest dive sites in my own back yard here on Bonaire. Will be returning to NH shortly and am ready for spring and especially summer on Winnipesaukee.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #56
Lucky2Bhere

We moved to the lake full time about ten years ago. It was our dream and we loved every minute of it for about 3-4 years. As the years went on and I had more and more free time the winters became long, dark, and isolating. Besides about 20 ski days we were stuck inside. Walking on icy dirt roads past closed seasonal homes was different than walking past summer residents having a great time. We now spend the winter in Florida biking, bird watching, golf, tennis, and dining by the water. It's the perfect combination and we have wonderful communities of friends in both locations. Winter at the lake can be wonderful, but it depends on your wants and needs. Good luck! (We live in a zero lot line single family home, could not do a high rise)
Lucky2Bhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #57
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

When people buy these houses down a long dirt road, they don't think about what it would be like in the winter, Lucky. They don't realize that if they ever decide to use it year round, how isolated they will be and how stuck (in more ways than one) they will be until they get plowed out-and then how tricky it can be to drive on that road. They don't think how lonely it can be without neighbors. A lot of buyers think they want to be remote and then find out it's not quite so nice after all-at least in the winter.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #58
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky2Bhere View Post
We moved to the lake full time about ten years ago. It was our dream and we loved every minute of it for about 3-4 years. As the years went on and I had more and more free time the winters became long, dark, and isolating. Besides about 20 ski days we were stuck inside. Walking on icy dirt roads past closed seasonal homes was different than walking past summer residents having a great time. We now spend the winter in Florida biking, bird watching, golf, tennis, and dining by the water. It's the perfect combination and we have wonderful communities of friends in both locations. Winter at the lake can be wonderful, but it depends on your wants and needs. Good luck! (We live in a zero lot line single family home, could not do a high rise)
I had to look up the term "zero lot line" as I never had heard of the concept. Interesting concept but sounds like living in a condo complex to me. A while ago a house was built about 500' away from us and we can see it when the leaves are off the trees. Plenty close enough for us.

While we wait for ice out, we find a lot to do in winter. In addition to skiing we winter hike and snowshoe, shoot at an indoor range, get firewood in and right now we are boiling maple sap into syrup. It is still finishing light amber and is not bad at all on my blueberry pancakes. We can always make a brief get away trip if needed. Others ice fish and snowmobile. You can always dress warm enough to be comfortable especially if you are active.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:03 AM   #59
ApS

Red face Paradise—s...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Heading to Florida in a few weeks but just to catch a cruise. Now NOTHING compares to Grand Caymans, Bahamas, etc. I do love NH but not the winters.
Where I winter in Florida seems somewhat uncivilized; however, a Wolfeboro friend has long been retired on a Bahamian Island: it's over 100 miles east-to-west.

• The islanders repair the roadways by themselves.

• Beaches are maintained by the islanders.

• For the island chain, voting-results take one month to discover the outcomes.

• There is no penalty for drunk driving.

• They all have Medjet-type insurance to fly to Florida when medical help is needed.

• The Bahamas Government has promised much more in medical care—and my friend's island did get their first piece of equipment—an X-ray machine.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #60
Jeanzb1

The big decision has been made! We have bought a year-round house up here in Gilford and have our Florida condo on the market. While I do have some real sadness in leaving Florida -- especially our volunteer involvement with Save The Chimps sanctuary and my "little sister" through Big Sisters -- we are confident that we have made the right choice! After my husband has his knees replaced this winter in Concord, in subsequent winters we plan to return to Florida for a month or two as renters. In the meantime, we have four seasons to look forward to! You cannot beat the beauty and charm of New England!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jeanzb1 For This Useful Post:
CateP (08-12-2013), chasedawg (08-10-2013), DRH (08-10-2013), Just Sold (08-10-2013), Scott's Yott (08-10-2013), webmaster (08-10-2013), winnisummergal (08-12-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #61
Slickcraft

Quote:
The big decision has been made! We have bought a year-round house up here in Gilford and have our Florida condo on the market. While I do have some real sadness in leaving Florida -- especially our volunteer involvement with Save The Chimps sanctuary and my "little sister" through Big Sisters -- we are confident that we have made the right choice! After my husband has his knees replaced this winter in Concord, in subsequent winters we plan to return to Florida for a month or two as renters. In the meantime, we have four seasons to look forward to! You cannot beat the beauty and charm of New England!
Welcome Jeanzb1 and husband!
Jeanzb1 (08-10-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #62
HomeWood

We (wife and I) can't wait to move back to New England. I moved to NC for a job and a job only. The summers here are nothing but pure misery. Luckily this one has been pretty mild.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #63
itchin for fishin

Default Boston healthcare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Rural NH lacks the quality health care available to retirees in metro Fla.
Unless you are by Jacksonville with Mayo, could not disagree more. You are 2 hours away from some of the finest healthcare in the world with Boston hospitals.
itchin for fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #64
mbhoward

Don't forget 2 hours to Dartmouth-Hitchcock. They are world class and for that matter I hear great things about Maine Medical Center.
mbhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:07 AM   #65
wickedtravelah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhoward View Post
Don't forget 2 hours to Dartmouth-Hitchcock. They are world class and for that matter I hear great things about Maine Medical Center.
I am not meaning to be argumentative, however, there are fine doctors that do practice outside of "world class" facilities.

Frisbe, Concord, Elliot, & CMC have very competant doctors that are more than capable. I would suggest looking for a doctor that you are comfortable with and fits your personality as a patient.

Unless you are an urgent/emergency case, you will most likely wait several months to see a "world class" facility doctor. I prefer a physician that I can have easy access to; someone who would know when you would be better served at the "world class" hosptial if the need arises.

...just my 2 cents
wickedtravelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:45 AM   #66
ApS

Question Wolfeboro to St. Croix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchin for fishin View Post
Unless you are by Jacksonville with Mayo, could not disagree more. You are 2 hours away from some of the finest healthcare in the world with Boston hospitals.
US News & World Report magazine does an annual study of "The Best 100 US Hospitals". What didn't impress me was the extreme shuffling of different hospitals in that list from year to year. While Boston was represented adequately, some dropped off the list entirely.

Maybe they should have gone with "The Best Ten US Hospitals".

Quote:
You cannot beat the beauty and charm of New England!
A realtor friend of 20 years is retiring from Wolfeboro to the Caribbean's St. Croix. ​

Go figure.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:52 AM   #67
Jeanzb1

ApS: I agree that there are MANY gorgeous places on our planet. We have been to the majority of the Caribbean islands, and while we certainly do enjoy the turquoise water and the soft sand beaches, we still cannot help but feel that New England is where we want to call "home." It's beautiful; it's charming; it's very unique; it's very special.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #68
no-engine

Default high rise???

any more than a one level single family home would be horrible.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #69
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Well you could just stay in Florida with the Cockroaches, hurricanes, Sink holes, torrential rain storms just about every afternoon, Cuban exiles, Alligators, Snakes, huge mosquitoes, humidity, blue haired old slow poke drivers in Caddy's and Buicks, Flat, dull land, Swamps, and Sink Holes, just to name a few things...Or Come up to NH and deal with cold and snow, and The Lobster Pound... etc.....Your choice.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (08-12-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #70
JasonG

Looks like we may be in the same boat, too. We moved to the Gulf Coast of FL 3 years ago and may be moving back to NH soon.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #71
Newbiesaukee

Default Lakesrider

I have no skin in this game, but you use a pretty broad brush characterizing all of Florida, the length of which is roughly the distance from D.C. to Portland, Me.It isn't that there isn't some reality in your comments, but each pertains to different areas of the state. And, for the record, in the dry season...roughly October-April, there aren't "torrential rain storms just about every afternoon."

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #72
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Well Here is my vacation in Sebastian, FL last October......Yep. Pretty dry.

http://s40.photobucket.com/user/midg...ba6e8.mp4.html

Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #73
Diver Vince

A realtor friend of 20 years is retiring from Wolfeboro to the Caribbean's St. Croix. ​

Go figure.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. I spent many years on St Croix and sold in the mid to late 80's never to return again. The reason; the escalating crime rate. I say good luck to your realtor friend. Once you rub away the initial veneer of the mountains and blue Caribbean, sometimes what you find is not so nice. Oh, believe it or not, there is such a thing as "island fever" which is why I'd never permanently move to any island in the Carib.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #74
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Well you could just stay in Florida with the Cockroaches, hurricanes, Sink holes, torrential rain storms just about every afternoon, Cuban exiles, Alligators, Snakes, huge mosquitoes, humidity, blue haired old slow poke drivers in Caddy's and Buicks, Flat, dull land, Swamps, and Sink Holes, just to name a few things...Or Come up to NH and deal with cold and snow, and The Lobster Pound... etc.....Your choice.
How about sunshine almost every day, boat in your back yard to cruise to the beautiful gulf beaches, fresh oj from your own trees, beautiful sunsets from your 80 degree pool and a beautiful ocean breeze.
Must admit......I'm talking about winter months. I'll still take spring, summer and fall right here in good ol' NH
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #75
Smokienorm

Default A bad day in NH is better than the best day in FL

My wife and I moved to Gilford (pop. 7,000) last year after spending the last 40 years in South Florida. I was born and raised in Tampa. Although we had been coming to the Lakes Region for about 30 years, and owned a vacation condo on the big Lake for 8 years, we finally broke the chains with Florida and moved here permanently into a house in Gunstock Acres with a great view of the Lake. Yes, the property taxes are high, and yes there is a tax on dividends and interest income, and a sales tax on restaurant meals and hotel rooms, but . . . no general sales tax, no personal income tax, no estate tax, and all of our insurance costs dropped significantly (auto, homeowners, medigap, etc.). The NH people are generally much more pleasant, and the drivers (at least those with NH plates) are much more courteous than those in Florida. Construction and renovation costs for highly qualified and skilled workers who actually show up when they promise to do so are much more reasonable than in Florida. NH has a much longer and more distinguished history pre-dating the Revolutionary War, and there are numerous interesting places to visit in the state. As far as healthcare, we had heard the stories generally trashing the quality in the Lakes Region, but we have actually found a good number of excellent specialists and I have had excellent care with surgeries at Concord Hospital and Dartmouth-Hitchcock in Lebanon. We hired someone to plow our driveway and we bought a snow blower to do the edges, and this is our second full winter here. As far as I am concerned, I never want to leave New Hampshire.
Smokienorm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smokienorm For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (11-30-2013), wickedtravelah (11-30-2013)
Old 11-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #76
wickedtravelah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokienorm View Post
My wife and I moved to Gilford (pop. 7,000) last year after spending the last 40 years in South Florida. I was born and raised in Tampa. Although we had been coming to the Lakes Region for about 30 years, and owned a vacation condo on the big Lake for 8 years, we finally broke the chains with Florida and moved here permanently into a house in Gunstock Acres with a great view of the Lake. Yes, the property taxes are high, and yes there is a tax on dividends and interest income, and a sales tax on restaurant meals and hotel rooms, but . . . no general sales tax, no personal income tax, no estate tax, and all of our insurance costs dropped significantly (auto, homeowners, medigap, etc.). The NH people are generally much more pleasant, and the drivers (at least those with NH plates) are much more courteous than those in Florida. Construction and renovation costs for highly qualified and skilled workers who actually show up when they promise to do so are much more reasonable than in Florida. NH has a much longer and more distinguished history pre-dating the Revolutionary War, and there are numerous interesting places to visit in the state. As far as healthcare, we had heard the stories generally trashing the quality in the Lakes Region, but we have actually found a good number of excellent specialists and I have had excellent care with surgeries at Concord Hospital and Dartmouth-Hitchcock in Lebanon. We hired someone to plow our driveway and we bought a snow blower to do the edges, and this is our second full winter here. As far as I am concerned, I never want to leave New Hampshire.
Very well stated & accurate!
wickedtravelah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wickedtravelah For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (11-30-2013)