Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2007, 10:20 AM   #1
wishiwasthere

Default The Woodshed?

Years ago we would always go to the Woodshed when vacationing in Moultonborough. I was wondering if anyone has gone recently and if it is still good. Loved the flowerpot bread!
wishiwasthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
AC2717

Default One of the best in the area

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasthere
Years ago we would always go to the Woodshed when vacationing in Moultonborough. I was wondering if anyone has gone recently and if it is still good. Loved the flowerpot bread!
It is still alive and kicking, and the bread is still awesome!
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
offmycloud

I went a few weeks ago. Lynn Seley sold it this year so it's under new management but it's still ok. The flowerpot bread is still there. It's expensive, the food is average but still better than most up there. The bar scene is usually fun, too. I worked there in the 80's and I don't think the menu has changed much at all. The quality should be the same as you remember it - at least it's consistent and the service is ok.
offmycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
Rose

Default Underwhelmed

I went two weeks ago with 3 other people. I would have to say we were disappointed. The server was very nice, but we waited much too long between placing our appetizer order and having them arrive at the table. My sister-in-law had the onion soup, and she said she's had better. My husband and I had the artichoke dip, which was good. We all had the prime rib, and while it was good, I don't think it was worth the price (I've had just as good at Ames Farm when they were open for dinner). The creme brulee was disappointing.

I had picked the Woodshed knowing it got mixed reviews here because one of our diners is a rather picky eater and their menu looked like it would match his tastes the best. I don't think it was as good as the former incarnation of the Coe House, or Chequers Harbor before it became Canoe. My brother says it has not been the same since it was "discovered."
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:42 PM   #5
offmycloud

I agree - it really doesn't have the old pizazz any more. Sort of just a factory churning out expensive dinners - like a Hart's but lots more money. I thought the food was somewhat bland, nothing excited me. The best thing I had was the Skip n' go Naked drink. Those are still good. I think they are just trying to milk it at this point. When Lynn ran it she fussed over the details, I think that is gone.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2007, 05:13 PM   #6
The Big Kahuna

Default Not any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by offmycloud
I agree - it really doesn't have the old pizazz any more. Sort of just a factory churning out expensive dinners - like a Hart's but lots more money. I thought the food was somewhat bland, nothing excited me. The best thing I had was the Skip n' go Naked drink. Those are still good. I think they are just trying to milk it at this point. When Lynn ran it she fussed over the details, I think that is gone.
The place has been a disappointment the last three times I have been there. Not planning on going back any time soon, not work the trip from the other side of the lake.
The Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:14 PM   #7
Hermit Cover

Default Woodshed....

Was talking to a friend the other day who told me about growing up in the area and playing in the old barn that is now the Woodshed....sounds like new ownership and management at the restaurant need to do a turnaround effort to get it back to the "way it was" in the not too distant past....or it may go back to being a great barn for local kids to play in....as it was in the "old days".....too bad!!
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:50 PM   #8
phoenix

we went this summer and still enjoy this restaurant. To me it has great atmosphere and as yogi said "it is so crowded no one goes there anymore". Parking lot was still full. But have to say the Coe House ranks very close on atmosphere
Old 11-19-2007, 06:12 PM   #9
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by offmycloud

Why did the owner sell? Where did she go?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:17 PM   #10
JTA

My wife and I go to the Woodshed every year and if we are near there in the winter, we go then too. We're in a rutt ... it's always onion soup and prime rib. It's my understanding that the new owners are the chef and his wife who is the former restaurant's manager. I was pleased with my visit there this past summer.
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:47 PM   #11
gravy boat

Thumbs up Yummy!

Hi All,

We went to the Woodshed this past Saturday, Nov 17....hubby had the Hanger Steak -- said it was excellent and prepared VERY well. I had the crab cakes -- fillled with crab, very little filler...I was very pleased. The three girls had prime rib (children's portion), haddock, teriyaki chicken (children's portion)....all said it was excellent. We all shared an app -- the Artichoke Dip -- even the 8-year-old, who rarely tries anything new, loved it. We finished with Creme Brule (hubby and I shared), apple crisp, and some type of decadent brownie/fudge dish (shared by an 8- and 10-year old, who were just a tad hyper on the drive home).

We all left VERY satisfied, each with a doggie box (our pooch was out of luck the next day as we wouldn't share). We all highly recommend!

Gravy
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 07:57 AM   #12
The Eagle

Default Worst Woodshed in 9 years!

Hi guys and Gals,
My wife, a couple friends and I went, this past Saturday, for my wife's Birthday. I wish we read the newest posts first. We waited OVER an hour, after we placed our order, for the Appetizers to arrive. (no sign of the waitress during that time) Others came, were seated, had their salads, their meals, and their bill, and we still hadn't got our appetizers. They arrived one hour and ten minutes later. The Prime rib (which is why we go ) had more fat than meat, and you could tell the plate was sitting under a heat light for some time. They brought my wife a Birthday cake (at the request of my wife's friend) but it was a stale as can be. There was no one available to complain to either. The usual host who walks around, asking how things were? Was no where to be found, and the girl who greets you at the door ?Gone. Ony a couple Waitress hanging around. It was the worst we have even seen in 9 years of going there. I sent an email to the "Woodshed," but I'll bet I never hear from them. Next time? BUCKIES! Great burgers, and everything, pleasant people, and it won't cost me $188.00! Wake up Woodshed, and listen to your customers, you are loosing your good name!
"The Eagle"
The Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:52 AM   #13
offmycloud

I had a fatty prime rib there, too. At this point they seem to be just milking the old stellar reputation. When Lynn Seley owned it she would visit every table asking for comments. No more, they basically ignore you there. I went in November and it took forever to get a server to recognize us. We were ignored for most of the meal and had to flag him down when he was needed. Bucky's rocks as always and that's because the owners care.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:05 PM   #14
The Eagle

Default Woodshed

Dear Offmycloud,
It was this November ,when we went also. I sent an email to the "Woodshed." explaining my disappointment and every thing that happened, since there was "no one there," that night, and thus far I have not heard a word in relpy. No appology, no explaination, no nothing. We always ranted about the Woodshed, the service, the waitresses, and people. However, it is going to be a VERY long time before I'll even consider going there ever again, and I definitely would not recomend them to anyone, anymore. Isn't it funny how a great place, can become a great disappointment, just by changing hands? Buckies, is by far, the best place to go in Moultonborough. Very inexpensive, great food, great service, and it won't cost you your mortgage payment, to enjoy an evening out. I've been going to Buckies, since it opened and I have NEVER been disappointed with their restaurant! In fact, I'll be going there the weekend after next, to enjoy the evening!
"The Eagle"
Old 12-03-2007, 06:41 AM   #15
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I don't often jump in to the restaurant thread but I just want to put in my .02 on the "fatty prime rib" complaint.That big circle of fat that comes right in the middle,as well as the surrounding fat cap and the marbling, is the result of the steer being "finished" or fattened on corn,grain and oats in the months before it is processed.It is what gives the rib it's flavor and tenderness.The higher the grade....the more fat.Eagle would be dissapointed to get a USDA Prime cut,since it has the most fat of all.I would suggest that he finds a low end supermarket and buys something ungraded or USDA Commercial,since that comes from a steer that has been fed on grass and not fattened for market.It looks like it has been painted red with very little fat.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:43 AM   #16
dpg

Bucky's is awesome....
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:11 AM   #17
The Eagle

Default Are you for real?

Dear Samiam,
I am very familiar with what makes Prim Rib get it's flavor. HOWEVER, when it's advertised as "Quality Prime Rib," and they serve you mostly FAT and at $29.00+ a serving, the customer deserves better, not to even mention the poor service. I think your comment, telling me I should to go to a "Low end Supermarket," was WAY out of line. If you like to eat "Lard" at the price of Prime Rib, be my guest! Have a can of "Chrisco," and some cold veggies, with dried out mashed Potatoes, and send me the money. I'll go to Buckies, and get an "ALL BEEF," Bucky Burger, and enjoy it 100%. There was much more the Woodshed, need to address in my post, besides the Prim Rib, and they did nothing!
"The Eagle"
Old 12-03-2007, 09:53 AM   #18
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default At the risk of going "Off Topic"

I agree with Samiam and his comments on the marbling of Prime Rib.. ( I apply the same standard to Rib Eye) The more the better. maybe yours was excessive.. but here is a discripton from no less authority than Lobels.. NYC.

"Prime Ribs of Beef

Rib roasts are the most desirable and tender of all beef roasts. The ribs are from the rib section of the forequarter. The meat is very juicy and well marbled with a layer of fat on the outside. The size of the roast is flexible, and can be cut to serve a small family or a large dinner party.

There are four ways we prepare prime ribs:

* Standing Rib Roast: The roast is slightly trimmed and the short ribs are cracked.
* Half Standing Rib Roast No. 1: Trimmed lightly with the short ribs completely removed.
* Half Standing Rib Roast No 2: Trimmed lightly with short ribs removed. All bones are removed from meat and then tied back in place. After roasting, the strings are cut, bones are removed and the roast is sliced with ease.
* Rolled Rib Roast: The roast is well trimmed and the short ribs are cut off. Then the roast is completely boned and rolled and tied over the outside layer of fat.

Best cooking method: Oven Roast or grill with indirect heat.
"

Any problem you have with the way he delivered the message is between you and he..

PS... As soon as they plow my road I may have to get a Roast for tonight... hmmmmm.. this discussion has made me hungry!
Old 12-03-2007, 10:27 AM   #19
KonaChick

I too have posted my disappointment over The Woodshed. I wonder how this place stays in business.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:29 AM   #20
SIKSUKR

Samiam knows what he is talking about and so do I.I used to purchase $10 million of meat a year for our family business.Prime is based on the amount of marbeled fat.Less is not "more prime".How it was served may be a different story.Most restaraunts will serve you the whole slice fat chunks and all.Some might cut that fat portion out because it doesnt look so good.The bottom line is how the muscle portion eats and tastes.Nobody would eat 100% lean beef unless it was loaded with sauces.The natural flavor of beef that most people want,comes from the fat,period.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:31 AM   #21
offmycloud

The trouble is that it is not a marbling issue with the Woodshed's prime rib, it's solid fat. I love marbling but more than one quarter of the prime rib I ordered was a big hunk of solid, gristly, white fat. It probably doesn't have to do with the quality of the meat but just careless cutting or something. More proof that they don't give a darn anymore or the chef/owner can't handle the micro-managing necessary to run a decent restaurant.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #22
DREAMS

Default Time for change or sell out to good cooks

I wonder if the new owners have been reading the forum. This weekends paper showed ads in search of a new Restaurant Manager as well as kitchen staff and waitstaff. If they have so many years of experience at this restaurant and are locals who consciously realize the importance and reputation built for this local legend, how can they let themselves fail and deliver such poor food and service! I find it very sad that I personally would enjoy a visit for a taste of good history or would like to consider the Woodshed for a gift certificate but the embarassment of such a visit by friends or family would be insulting!

It is time for the locals to force these owners to recognize their failure to deliver the necessities of quality food, reasonable and affordable prices and superb and memorable service that drives the customer back for more good times! Keep the pressure on and voice your feelings while dining and demand refunds for poor service and meals!
DREAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:38 PM   #23
The Eagle

Default Excessive Fat vs Marbelized fat

I agree with "Offmycloud," 100%. My father worked as a butcher, and I DO know the difference between Marbeled fat, left to do flavoring, and plain white, grizzley FAT! When you are served "Prime Rib" with next to NO meat and all FAT, that's not, what a good restaurant serves, to it's customers. That is, unless they don't give a hoot! My plate was left, with more than half the plate covered with just plain, white, unhealthy, discustingly nasty tasting FAT! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and thier own tastes. I do not like excessive FAT! When you pay for beef, that's what you expect to get the most of. STILL, the issue of fat, does not fully address the hour wait between ordering and getting served the appitizers. It does not address the cold veggies, (and I Do know the difference between steamed veggies, and veggies that have been sitting, under a heat lamp) and the dried out mashed potatoes? (See my last remark about sitting under a heat lamp too long.) And it definitely does not address the fact the Woodshed NEVER answered my email, when I found no one to complain to. Maybe if you SAW, were, served, and had to PAY for that same plate of food, your opinion would be totally different.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #24
offmycloud

Eagle - imagine if they had just answered your email with a a quick "sorry, please come back". Instead, nothing. They obviously don't care that you spent a lot of money there and felt taken. I am somewhat obsessed about this topic as I worked there as a teenager in the late 70's and early 80's and remember what a funky and classy joint it was. I met Henry Fonda there when they were filming "you know what" movie. Lynn Seley probably couldn't boil water but she could run a restaurant and obsessed about "details" like steamed veggies and mashed potatoes. It's sad to see the place becoming another aloof, tourist rip-off.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:13 PM   #25
Dave M

Could somebody tell me where Buckies is located. Is this place new?
I'll have to try it on my next trip up.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:30 PM   #26
offmycloud

On 109 in Moultonboro at the corner of Lee Road and rte 109, right near the sign for the Woodshed Restaurant. WARNING - DO NOT GO TO THE WOODSHED, HEAD STRAIGHT FOR BUCKY'S. It's been around for awhile, probably ten years (?). Always dependable and cheap, the food is good there but nothing fancy.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:44 AM   #27
SAMIAM

The "low in supermarket" comment was just a little ragging,Eagle.You have every right to complain about service problems and cold food,but it's just not humanly possible for a prime rib to be mostly fat.Think you might have exaggerated that just a bit.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:43 AM   #28
The Eagle

Default Seeing is believing

Hi Samiam,
I wasn't exaggerating one bit. If I had four or five decent bites of good meat, it was a blessing. I don't complain unless a "Complaint is in order." Over the years, my wife and I only went to the Woodshed for special occasions, since it was a treat. Wedding Anniversary, birthdays, or if we invited friends up. In the winter, when you could get reservations easily, we used to go quite often, and were never disappointed. We raved about the Woodshed, recomended it to friends, and always looked forward to going there. The last few times, were less than desired, with the last time being the absloute worst. (You can look back and see posts from me giving the Woodshed 5 stars!) I never just "bad mouth," any business, unless it deserves it. Like I said, if you saw it, and tried to eat it, "seeing is believing!" However the fat still does not address the poor service, and the lack of response from the Woodshed. The quality of service, and the expectations that we paying for, do not exist anymore. In fact, I am surprised someone from the woodshed, has not responded to this "web site," either. They know it exists! It just shows lack of concern. Sad to say, It has become just another "Tourist Trap."
Old 12-04-2007, 09:31 AM   #29
offmycloud

Default Mis En Place

Eagle - if you are looking for a decent place going forward. Try Mis En Place in Wolfeboro. Sort of french/modern cuisine. It's expensive but worth it and is a treat to find a restaurant like that up there. It's a lot quieter than the Woodshed so no party atmosphere but perfect for the date night with the wife. Here's the address:

96 Lehner St
Wolfeboro, NH 03894
(603) 569-5788
Old 12-04-2007, 09:44 AM   #30
BlackCatIslander

Default No Complaints

Let's not over do it! We have been going to the Woodshed since the mid seventies and have always enjoyed it. Although I have never had a complaint in well over 200 visits, my wife had two unhappy experiences a number of years ago. Quite frankly, we haven't seen a drop off thus far this year. Any restaurant, such as the Woodshed, that is upscale creates expectations that can be hard to meet with a critical audience all the time. As we all know, tastes and opinions vary all over the lot. If Eagle or anyone has an issue, they really should mention it to management at the time. As Canoe pointed out, the restaurant owner has many other things on their plate besides monitoring our forum. I do hope that the Woodshed and all the other area restaurants continue to provide good food and excellent service so that we will have the choices that we currently enjoy. Just my two cents!
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:11 PM   #31
jeffk

Default Good for you, not for me

BlackCatIslander,

Please read The Eagle's post carefully. He did try to address the problems directly. The managers made themselves scarce during his visit and the email he sent was not responded to. When a restaurant chooses to ignore the negative experiences of it's patrons, especially those who in the past have been supporters, they risk their reputation.

I, like others, have commented on the perceived decline in the food and service at the Woodshed. 14 years ago when we started going to the lake regularly it was our goto restaurant. We had many WOW meals there. Now we go there maybe once a year and its just another place to go.

The Woodshed, by price and positioning, is a high end restaurant. Food and service slips that get a pass at a lesser quality place are simply not acceptable. The high expectations come with the positioning of the restaurant and if they are unable or unwilling to deliver on those expectations they will pay the price over time. There are several high end restaurants that reliably deliver high food and service quality and I now choose those rather than the Woodshed.

I'm glad that your experiences have been positive and you can frequent whoever you want to, but myself and others have not been as fortunate or maybe are more demanding of a high end restaurant, and are making other choices.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:04 PM   #32
offmycloud

JeffK - would you name the nice restaurants you go to? The only one my wife likes is Mis En Place and I think Canoe. I'm in Moultonboro, too, so would love some recommendations. So far, the wheels have fallen off the Woodshed and Morriseys.
Thanks
Old 12-04-2007, 06:07 PM   #33
fatlazyless

Smile ...Hannaford's2.29lb london broil

This is a little off topic since it is about steak from a super market and not a restaurant, but what the heck.

Stopped into the Plymouth Hannafords today and they have these real good looking steaks on special, USDA Choice Beef Shoulder London Broil Steaks at $2.29/lb. For 16.87. I got six steaks. For 1.99, I got 10lbs of good Maine potatoes.

For 19.88. I get about 10 meals plus left-overs, cooking them totally frozen in a small crockpot at 300 degrees for 3 hours on a stainless rack.

It's what the other half does who cannot afford The Woodshed, or the big money Canoe or Coe House restaurants.

Am I off base to think that the Hannaford's low price of 2.29 is only available in Plymouth because there they have to compete with the nearby Wal-Mart Supercenter?
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:10 PM   #34
jeffk

Default Our favorites, your mileage may vary

High end
Abondante in Meredith
Grille 25 in Moultonboro (they can range from very good to OK)
Canoe in Center Harbor
Coe House in Center Harbor
Lyon's Den in Gilford
Walter's Basin on Squam
Mame's in Meredith for lunch (dinner menu looks good but we haven't tried dinner there)
Haven't been to O's in Lakeport yet but have heard good things and know someone who works there.

Good food, good prices
Buckeys in Moultonboro
Village Kitchen in Moultonboro
Wolfe's Tavern, Garwoods, or Jo Greens for lunch (not down there for dinner so I can't say)

This is obviously not meant to be a comprehensive list. We tend to frequent the area around our house in Moultonborough. We continue to try new places, especially those mentioned on the forum. Some new ones get added to our list and unfortunately some old ones go out of business or go downhill.

I look forward to giving Mis En Place in Wolfeboro a try.

One our biggest beefs lately has been places with good food but foreign wait staff that have difficulty with english. You have to struggle to make yourself understood and sometimes get wrong things. Again, not acceptable for a high end meal, I shouldn't have to work for my meal and then pay for it too. It also prevents chit chat which often can add a pleasant touch to an already nice meal. For example, this summer when we were at the Coe House our waitress was a Criminal Justice student with whom we had a delightful conversation. I would be thrilled to have such a conversation with a person from another country, and have, but they need to have reasonable english skills. Unfortunately many can barely get by.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:49 PM   #35
Skip

Smile Mega steaks or Mega Bucks????

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
...This is a little off topic... but what the heck...
Look at the bright side FLL, with all that frugality you are exhibiting you'll have no problem writing that 8k check for your property taxes and you'll still have change in your pocket for a mega bucks ticket or two, if you don't squire it away beforehand at the nearest McDonalds.

Judd Gregg will be proud!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:52 PM   #36
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
This is a little off topic since it is about steak from a super market and not a restaurant, but what the heck.

Stopped into the Plymouth Hannafords today and they have these real good looking steaks on special, USDA Choice Beef Shoulder London Broil Steaks at $2.29/lb. For 16.87. I got six steaks. For 1.99, I got 10lbs of good Maine potatoes.

Am I off base to think that the Hannaford's low price of 2.29 is only available in Plymouth because there they have to compete with the nearby Wal-Mart Supercenter?
Stop and Shop has that beat...

Guess you need to ask Santa for a Stop and Shop in the area...
Old 12-04-2007, 09:27 PM   #37
fatlazyless

Smile

Funny you bring up our good Senator, because what a surprise it was to cross paths with him as he was placing a stack of the $2.29 London Broils at the next register. "Well, he replied," when I asked him what he was doing there at Hannaford's, "we were originally headed for the Wal-Mart, but as the former Chairman of the Senate Budget Committee, I know a good deal when I see one." Senator Gregg went on to say: " What with gasoline now at $3.00/gallon, it costs over one hundred dollars to fill up my Chevy Suburban as it has two tanks." So, me being the polite guy that I am, I told him I was sorry to hear that.

Funny thing how so many Republicans have "Former" as part of their titles, now-a-days.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:30 AM   #38
SAMIAM

Jeez,Eagle...guess I judged you too harshly.You do sound pretty convincing.I hate to see anyone getting beat up but, hopefully, they will address the problems.The fact that you used to give them good ratings gives sincerity to your post.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:20 PM   #39
offmycloud

Jeff K - thank you! I had not heard of the Meredith, Gilford or Squam restaurants. We rarely venture too far away when we are up there so are Wolfe/Moult centric. Too bad about that Woodshed!
Old 12-06-2007, 09:05 AM   #40
SIKSUKR

Default The King of political hijacking strikes again.

IT would be nice to read a thread without the everpresent FLL hijacking it to give us his political view of the world.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:06 AM   #41
Seaplane Pilot

Thumbs down Hide your wallet - Dem dem's are in town today

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
IT would be nice to read a thread without the everpresent FLL hijacking it to give us his political view of the world.
I think we'll be safe today SS. Her highness "Billery" is going to be at Gunstock this morning. I'm sure FLL and the other Dems will be there for some unbridled rumpswabbing. God I hope her hot air doesn't melt all the snow... I want to ski tomorrow morning!
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:02 AM   #42
SIKSUKR

Touchee SP
Old 12-12-2007, 08:21 AM   #43
SIKSUKR

And hey,Oprah was just in town in Manchester to support Obama.It's great to have all that attention from Hollywood isnt it?
Old 12-13-2007, 12:17 PM   #44
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
...unbridled rumpswabbing...

Outstanding. I needed that (the laugh, not a rumpswabbing...).
Old 01-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #45
twoplustwo

Default I work at the shed, have for several years now...

...and am quite proud of it. There's a large number of people on our staff who've been there for several years, some for many more, and there's a reason for that. I promise you, none of us want anyone to come in and have a bad night from us old timers to any newbies and certainly not the new owners. That's why our suppliers haven't changed, our recipes haven't changed, and our portions haven't changed. I have several points I'd love to make.

There's no cut of prime rib on our menu for $29+ unless you've paired it with a lobster tail, claws, or crab legs.

If you get food you do not like, send it back! We want you to leave happy; when we bring stuff back to the kitchen they are apologetic, they do not like it, we do not like it, we want you to like it. If we leave a plate under a heat lamp for more than a few seconds as food goes onto plates then onto our serving trays, we hear it. Hard. Even if it means someone else is nabbed to take our food out for us. Food is not left under a heat lamp, I promise you. It did not happen when Lyn was there, it does not happen now.

I adore Lyn, and miss working with her very much. Lyn never went to every table in the restaurant. People working the front of the house each get a dining room, each makes the rounds in their area. It was that way when Lyn was there, it is that way now. Tables got missed then, they get missed now. It's unfortunate, they try not to let it happen, it's a rare occurence IMO. It sometimes happened then, it sometimes happens now although they try as hard now as they did before to avoid that situation.

Kitchens get out of synch, timing gets screwed up. It's difficult to staff a restaurant when a large percentage of the people in the dining room didn't have reservations but our owners try very hard to keep staffing above expected levels based on historic data. Sometimes we're overstaffed, sometimes we get surprised and end up understaffed. None of us likes that situation, it is stressful for all involved and the owners try hard to prevent us from having that kind of night, which means they work hard to prevent you from having that kind of a night.

Quality and price are absolutely a concern, if they weren't, we'd still have the NY strip and the lamb chops on the menu. The strips coming in were horrible cuts so they pulled it off the menu. The lamb chop prices got jacked up so high, they couldn't ask customers to pay for them.

If you complained and never got a response, well, I'm really surprised. I see the new owners responding to comments good and bad via email and the phones all the time, it's obviously important to them. Indicating they just don't care? Who the hell would take on a bank note of that size and the hours it takes to run a restaurant if they didn't care? If their intention was to run the place like an overpriced Hart's, those of us who've been there for years would've been out the door by now. All of those options you now have around town for dinner? Those are also options for us from an employment standpoint. I think it's a testament to Kirk and Denise that we're still there, because they are working hard to continue the traditions of quality and service we enjoyed with Lyn and continue to enjoy under their ownership.

Sometimes a restaurant has a bad night. No one ever wants that - not the owners, the managers, the servers, the bartenders, the hosts and hostesses, nor the kitchen staff. But sometimes it happens, and none of us leaves there happy when it does because we fear some of you may have left there unhappy, which we never, ever want. If you come in and have a problem with your food, please let us know. If you have a problem with your server, let another server or a manager know. If things are great from top to bottom, know we've worked to make it that way. We all care or we wouldn't be there.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #46
JayDV

Default Succinct and delicious

Well twoplustwo, that was the tastiest mouthful of crow I have ever eaten, and I wasn't even in the discussion.

It was unfortunate that people have bad experiences with any kind of business that exists on offering a service to a client base (wait a minute, that is just about every business!). And, as you pointed out, as others have in different threads here, communication is key. Quick to communicate to friends, families and fellow forum-ers (?) with both positive and negative comments, but how many make the effort to give the verbal/written attaboy to the business representative (server in this case) or management? A tip is a nice reflection, yes but the "word" is the medal of honor that can be worn in their step, attitude and even reflected by management's praise. These can only help to make the clients' next visits that much better. Ad while making client's visits better, the gentle constructive critique or even the aside comment of dissatisfaction is appreciated by management for the 2 reasons twoplustwo stated; to improve your experience and to improve the impression the business presents to the client.

For all of you who continue to do your best, day in/day out, I offer my thanks. I appreciate the honest effort, the eye contact, and the appropriate business attitude. Good jobs!
JayDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #47
hopscotch

Default Now hold on there!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
...and am quite proud of it. There's a large number of people on our staff who've been there for several years, some for many more, and there's a reason for that. I promise you, none of us want anyone to come in and have a bad night from us old timers to any newbies and certainly not the new owners. That's why our suppliers haven't changed, our recipes haven't changed, and our portions haven't changed. I have several points I'd love to make.

There's no cut of prime rib on our menu for $29+ unless you've paired it with a lobster tail, claws, or crab legs.

If you get food you do not like, send it back! We want you to leave happy; when we bring stuff back to the kitchen they are apologetic, they do not like it, we do not like it, we want you to like it. If we leave a plate under a heat lamp for more than a few seconds as food goes onto plates then onto our serving trays, we hear it. Hard. Even if it means someone else is nabbed to take our food out for us. Food is not left under a heat lamp, I promise you. It did not happen when Lyn was there, it does not happen now.

I adore Lyn, and miss working with her very much. Lyn never went to every table in the restaurant. People working the front of the house each get a dining room, each makes the rounds in their area. It was that way when Lyn was there, it is that way now. Tables got missed then, they get missed now. It's unfortunate, they try not to let it happen, it's a rare occurence IMO. It sometimes happened then, it sometimes happens now although they try as hard now as they did before to avoid that situation.

Kitchens get out of synch, timing gets screwed up. It's difficult to staff a restaurant when a large percentage of the people in the dining room didn't have reservations but our owners try very hard to keep staffing above expected levels based on historic data. Sometimes we're overstaffed, sometimes we get surprised and end up understaffed. None of us likes that situation, it is stressful for all involved and the owners try hard to prevent us from having that kind of night, which means they work hard to prevent you from having that kind of a night.

Quality and price are absolutely a concern, if they weren't, we'd still have the NY strip and the lamb chops on the menu. The strips coming in were horrible cuts so they pulled it off the menu. The lamb chop prices got jacked up so high, they couldn't ask customers to pay for them.

If you complained and never got a response, well, I'm really surprised. I see the new owners responding to comments good and bad via email and the phones all the time, it's obviously important to them. Indicating they just don't care? Who the hell would take on a bank note of that size and the hours it takes to run a restaurant if they didn't care? If their intention was to run the place like an overpriced Hart's, those of us who've been there for years would've been out the door by now. All of those options you now have around town for dinner? Those are also options for us from an employment standpoint. I think it's a testament to Kirk and Denise that we're still there, because they are working hard to continue the traditions of quality and service we enjoyed with Lyn and continue to enjoy under their ownership.

Sometimes a restaurant has a bad night. No one ever wants that - not the owners, the managers, the servers, the bartenders, the hosts and hostesses, nor the kitchen staff. But sometimes it happens, and none of us leaves there happy when it does because we fear some of you may have left there unhappy, which we never, ever want. If you come in and have a problem with your food, please let us know. If you have a problem with your server, let another server or a manager know. If things are great from top to bottom, know we've worked to make it that way. We all care or we wouldn't be there.
There's no way one can compare the way the Woodshed is run now with how it was run under Lynn and her husband. They cared. All you are doing, TWOPLUSTWO, is making excuses for poor performance by the new owners. Service is still good but that is because of all the holdover staff that was trained and held accountable by Lynn. As far as the strips steaks go..please!! If the Capital Grille, Mortons, and Grille 23 in Boston can get great strip steaks then surely the Woodshed can. You're just giving excuses and I don't like paying the Woodshed's high prices for excuses. The new owners are pretty clueless....
hopscotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:49 PM   #48
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Capitol Grill

I was at the Capitol Grill this past Sunday PM and the steak was horrible. For $41 I wish I was at the Woodshed having a nice piece of Prime Rib!!
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:33 AM   #49
twoplustwo

Default you're welcome to your opinion, Hopscotch

Everyone has their opinion, and their perception. The head chef and manager are now also the owners. Stands to reason that we'd find little change in that they've been directing us as employees for years with exactly the same policies and procedures in place.

I hope you find a nice and affordable strip steak in your restaurant travels.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:03 AM   #50
SAMIAM

Being in involved in the biz,I would never try to critique another restaurant,but I do find it nice to see a loyal employee sticking up for her boss.
Hope I get 2+2 for a server next time I go to the Woodshed.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:28 AM   #51
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default When a restaurant gets understaffed...

I have gone into a few restaurants and seen several tables empty (fairly large restaurants) and when I checked in at the hostess station, was told that there may be a 15 minute (or half hour, etc) wait. We're sorry but we had a few people call out sick and we want to make sure that during your dining with us, the service and food will meet with your approval. Unless we were in somewhat of a rush, we usually have waited and have not been disappointed. This was far better than having been seated and then waited for 15 minutes for a server to come get our drink order, or food order. A little explanation goes a long way.

We haven't been to the Woodshed in a couple of years, because it is on the opposite side of the lake from us, but if we ventured over there and hit that type of situation, we certainly would be happy to wait so that service and food would hopefully be up to our expectations.

Also, I agree with Samiam, it's nice to see an employee stand up for their employer. Kudos to you, 2x2!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:40 AM   #52
twoplustwo

Smile thank you, Sam and upthesaukee

It would be my honor to serve you. Stop in the lounge on your next trip in, I'll pour you a Skip & Go Naked and we can discuss the quirky passion of internet forum junkies
Old 01-09-2008, 11:08 AM   #53
Seeker

Default Probably won't go again

I will have to echo Rose in post #4.
After hearing about the Woodshed for years from friends in my area (Wakefield/Effingham) my wife and I took another couple there for our first time. We had early reservations and were seated immediately. The wait was almost an hour between ordering and receiving appetizers. Meanwhile, others who came after us had their apps and were receiving their main courses. I don't mind that if the food is very good - it wasn't. My wife, the prime rib expert said it just had no flavor, onion soup was fair, my filet was good, flowerpot bread when it finally arrived seemed to have been in the pot a bit too long. Creme bruille was disgusting at best although artichokes were good. Salmon dish was good but a casserole (don't remember type, could have been seafood?) was pretty much inedible.
Was I going to send something back and wait another hour or so? No way.
I like employees standing up for thier business but no one, waitress included, ever asked us how our meals were.
Maybe if it were closer I'd try again. Then, maybe not.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #54
offmycloud

Default Wait staff issue

Seeker - that never would have happened when Lynn Seley ran the place. She was always on the waitstaff like a hawk. I had poor service there recently as well.

Lynn was there most every night and was on top of everything. Now, it's like there is a leadership void or something. There is no one aggressively managing the diningroom anymore. When I went there I saw and experienced that. They may have someone who is supposed to do it but no one who cares deeply and takes it personally. Everyone is sort of just doing their job with their head down.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:48 PM   #55
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Tough Crowd

Man... cut this place some slack. You folks are tough!! I need a couple skip and go nakeds right about now!!
Old 01-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #56
hazelnut

Default Woodshed

I for one would hate to see this place go downhill. It is such a staple of the Lakes Region. I am sure there are some growing pains associated with taking over such a historical landmark of a restaurant. As 2+2 has stated many of the employees are long term people. I am sure they take pride in their job and their restaurant. The last thing they want to see is bad service and inconsistent food. If you had a bad night give them a second chance to redeem themselves. If it happens again well.... What can I say. I for one plan on going to the Woodshed next time I get the chance. I wish the owners good luck and i hope they take the criticism constructively and use it to strive for perfection.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:05 PM   #57
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Positive experience

Three of us went to the Woodshed this evening, and had a very nice meal. The two ladies shared the artichoke heart appetizer, and I had the mushrooms...both were good, I liked the "sauce" with mushrooms, but my wife thought it was too strong on the sherry or marsala for her taste. The hearts were excellent. The ladies each had swordfish, one grilled and the other blackened. I had a little bite and thought it was great. Ladies liked it as well, but they felt it was a little dry, but again, Chef Moi thought it was just right. I had the hanger steak with blue cheese and bacon, which I ordered medium and came out about medium rare, which is how I really like it, but find often when I order it Med Rare it comes out to rare (run on sentence, my bad). Had the decadent chocolate for dessert, and it was great, and the ladies had ice cream thingees, which were huge.

Service was great, attentive, and made the evening a success for us.

Owner came over to make sure all was well. Not particularly busy, but a nice evening, especially after having driven from the other side of the lake to get there.

bottom line, we would definately go back, and enjoyed ourselves. Also, it pointed out how three people can have differing opinions on what is moist, or too strong flavored, etc. Nice job, Woodshed.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:45 PM   #58
BlackCatIslander

Default A Very Pleasant Evening

Last Saturday night my wife and I had a very enjoyable supper at the Woodshed. I am aware that some Forum members have been critical of this restaurant since last year's change in ownership. We have been fortunate in having the opporunity to dine in fine and not so fine restaurants through out North America and beyond and we always enjoy the opportunity to eat at the Woodshed. The atmosphere is always welcoming, There happened to be two tables near us with young children but they were well behaved and caused no problems.

My wife had the jumbo shrimp cocktail and I had the lobster stew for appetizers. For entrees she had a perfectly cooked medium rare rack of lamb and I had the scallops. For desert we split a lemon tart with fresh raspberries. It was especially good! I was looking to see if I could find anything to criticize but we both agreed that we thoroughly enjoyed the swirler sized drinks and the meal.
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:06 AM   #59
KPW

Thumbs up Woodshed great as always!

Had a great dinner at the Woodshed last evening. Service was great. Rack of lamb and prime rib were excellent. I am guessing it was the owner that stopped by the table and asked how everything was. I have never had a bad experience at the Woodshed, and last night was no exception.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:07 AM   #60
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Woodshed

Great to hear positive feedback regarding the Woodshed. This place is just one of my favorite settings. I love telling people that I am going to take them to this place deep in the woods off the beaten path. It always blows guest minds when they see where it is located. The positioning of this restaurant is against all business practices and common sense!! Most places are located on busy well traveled roads.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:14 PM   #61
froggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd View Post
Great to hear positive feedback regarding the Woodshed. This place is just one of my favorite settings. I love telling people that I am going to take them to this place deep in the woods off the beaten path. It always blows guest minds when they see where it is located. The positioning of this restaurant is against all business practices and common sense!! Most places are located on busy well traveled roads.
Seems when the family who started Woodshed, I recall didn't they live next door or very nearby? Therefore the location was fine at that time!
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #62
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Woodshed owners

The original owners of the Woodshed not only lived next door, but their home, the "farmhouse" was eventually converted into dining space as part of the restaurant. We knew the original owners well - Dick and Jerri Tower - who are long-time Moultonborough residents, and they not only owned the Woodshed, but also ran/owned Longwood Farms (now Canoe) in Center Harbor for many years, and the Dairy Maid in Center Harbor. Dick also ran the small coffee shop at the Old Country Store (where I worked for several summers - selling penny candy). He also had a restaurant in Wolfboro, whose name escapes me (Strawberry something??).

The Woodshed has and always will be a special place: my brother was the bartender there in the early 1970s, our next door neighbor at the lake was the person who supervised the turning of the beef in the "pit", and the Woodshed catered my wedding in 1972 (married my husband on the deck at our cottage) from soup, to nuts, to wedding cake. My husband and I go to the Woodshed every summer, especially in August for our "anniversary" dinner. It has never failed us.
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:32 AM   #63
SIKSUKR

That's a great tie to the history Redwing.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:15 PM   #64
mg2107

Strawberry Patch. Son David is the ceo of Huggins Hospital.
mg2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:50 PM   #65
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952

Ah, yes.... Strawberry Patch! Now I remember, thanks to mg2107. Delighted to know of David's whereabouts and successful career trajectory. Son Rick was a chef, trained at the CIA (Culinary Institute of America), I believe. I've lost track of him. Saw the senior Towers who visited us at our cottage several summers ago.
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:01 AM   #66
donnamatrix

Default Last weekend at Woodshed

My husband and I went to WS on 2/23/08. We had a gift certificate for $150, which was good because dinner for two with drinks/tip was $170. It is expensive, but we had the expensive stuff: prime rib/rack of lamb, with appetizers, a cocktail apiece and a bottle of wine. No dessert. Food was scrumptious. Lamb was wayyy too much, so had for lunch on Monday. Perfectly cooked, our waiter was awesome (in front room). It was a fun evening. The escargot appetizer is outta this world.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #67
hopscotch

Default Not for me

I'll never go to the Woodshed. I've had more than one bad experience with no sense of responsibility on the owners part. It is a famous place (because of the former owner, not these people) but I'd rather go somewhere else and not have to pay elitist prices for non-elitist food. The place is very expensive, which in and of itself isn't bad, but they have no follow-through. Kudos to most of the waitstaff as they are a good, attentive group. I'd rather support an owner of another establishment who I feel cares and not these people.
hopscotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:57 PM   #68
Pineedles

Default Escargot

I took my daughter there 2 weeks ago and had a wonderful duck dinner (extra crispy). She was in an adventerous mood so when she asked me what she should try for the first time, I recommended the escargot. She loved it; and all I got was 1 escargot . I was kind of hoping she wouldn't. LOL. Yes, it is expensive but service, friendlyness, quality, taste were are excellent.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #69
KPW

Default Always consistent

I have never had an issue. My husband's all time favorite restaurant.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:55 PM   #70
Newbiesaukee

We have eaten there five or six times this year( we get a lot of company!) and have had excellent food and service.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:11 PM   #71
Alton Bay Bob

My wife and I were there a few weeks ago. The setting was a beautiful as I had remembered. The food was great. The service, however, was very slow. It took over 30 minutes to get our order taken. The entire meal took over 2 hours. Since we weren't in a huge hurry it was okay... but I was very surprised by the extremely long absences of our waiter. I think he was also tending bar... This was not a weekend. We will go back again this summer but if the wait is as long again... that will be our last time.
Alton Bay Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:20 AM   #72
wifi

Thumbs up Great place

We go there once, maybe twice per week in the summer. Really enjoy the food. We are not fast eaters, a 2-3 hr meal is just fine => beats rushing home to do housework

We find service fine, an occasional inattentive service person, but a few sharp words usually keeps their attention In the past years they had 'greeters', people that you would see rushing from one place to another with a determined look on their face, where in reality they were just checking up on the tables, striking up loud conversations. This year, I have only seen one of these types, maybe they are adding waiters and subtracting greeters, a good idea IMHO. I don't go there to talk to them, if I wanted someone interesting to talk to, I would select and bring them along.

The owner, Denise, stops by once or twice to check on us. An overall pleasant experience.

A little on the expensive side, but I think you get what you pay for here. I only wish they had more interesting selections for desert, on the other hand, I am usually too full anyway...
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:32 AM   #73
Lucky2Bhere

At this time of year the seasonal wait staff at every restaurant is new and slow, plus attendance varies greatly night to night. Also keep in mind that the entree price at the Woodshed includes a full salad which most restaurants don't include. We've found the quality to be very consistent for our 20 years.
Lucky2Bhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #74
kayleigh

The woodshed Restaurant is a great place to eat and a great place to work. I've done both, and I have nothing but good things to say about them.
kayleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #75
wishiwasthere

Default Funny!

I started this thread 4 years ago! Back when I was employed! So much has changed in my life since then, including trips to the Woodshed. I have gone every year since my first posting and have reservations for 10, next Friday night. We have had great experiences the last few years. We started with 2, then 3, then 7, now 10. Lets hope it is great again, it is my one expensive dinner I allow on vacay. I enjoy the woodshed so much.
wishiwasthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #76
kayleigh

yes, I started posting today, and I decided to type all my favorite restaurants into the search and write a comment on them. I didn't read all the comments above mine, but it probably is still as great as when I worked there (which was i think 3 years ago) The owner Kirk is a really nice person to work for, and everything is made from scratch. There isn't a single thing there that isn't. He takes pride in what he does, especially if you get the prime rib. The bread is made fresh daily. I hope your party of 10 has a good time. I want to go out to eat there soon, I just hurt my back really badly, and am staying at home now all the time. Hopefully soon though...
kayleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #77
Dave

It's OK ...IMO it's gone down hill since the new ownes took over. The service is still good -- but the quality of the food has declined.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #78
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
It's OK ...IMO it's gone down hill since the new ownes took over. The service is still good -- but the quality of the food has declined.
When did it get sold?
Old 07-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #79
anne154

I agree with Dave. When I was there this spring, the service was good, but the food was mixed. The crab cakes were mostly filling, little crab, no crab taste. The Indian pudding was quite soupy, although it tasted like average Indian pudding.

The other meal served was good, not great. The atmosphere is excellent.
I used to go there often, but have put it low on my list after it was sold, given our experiences.
anne154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #80
Lucky2Bhere

My daughter waitressed at the Woodshed 3 summers ago. It was after the restaurant changed hands. The new owners were the chef and manager for many years prior so very little changed. We've always been satisfied and have not seen any change over the last 22 years.
Lucky2Bhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #81
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky2Bhere View Post
My daughter waitressed at the Woodshed 3 summers ago. It was after the restaurant changed hands. The new owners were the chef and manager for many years prior so very little changed. We've always been satisfied and have not seen any change over the last 22 years.
Thank you for chiming in. Can the anne154 and Dave, who have a problem with the Woodshed, tell me when the place changed hands?

This is my favorite place for a "fault free" meal. If others are having a problem, please chime in.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #82
Bluebell

I believe The Woodshed changed ownership some time in 2007.
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:53 AM   #83
Pineedles

Whew! Ok, I was starting to worry. I've eaten there several times since 2007 and everything was still perfect.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #84
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Whew! Ok, I was starting to worry. I've eaten there several times since 2007 and everything was still perfect.
It did change hands back then. I understand that Kirk, the Chef/ Owner and his wife/co-owner have separated recently and she is no longer involved in day to day ops.

I like the Woodshed a lot but do wish they would have some sandwiches and lighter fare on the menu.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #85
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
It did change hands back then. I understand that Kirk, the Chef/ Owner and his wife/co-owner have separated recently and she is no longer involved in day to day ops.

I like the Woodshed a lot but do wish they would have some sandwiches and lighter fare on the menu.
Divorce huh? That could cause a problem with quality.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #86
MJM

Default Terrific

Ate at the Woodshed Sat 7/30. Everything was just plain great. Enjoyed some time (and great drinks) at the bar, then our meals, service, everything was excellent.
Their prices make it a "special occasion" place for us, but it has never disappointed over many years.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #87
Dave

Default Going down hill ...

.. though the service is very good -- the food is just OK. The chef and cook staff needs to be upgraded.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #88
Newfie

Smile

Surprised by Dave's comments. We have been to the Woodshed numerous times this summer and the place is always full. The food has been excellent and service wonderful. Kirk and Paige are doing a great job and have really brought the Shed back to its prime.

Last edited by Newfie; 08-09-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #89
C Tucker

Default Still Great

We have been to the Woodshed several times this year, the latest being Sunday night. Sat this time out on the porch. Food and atmosphere were great as always. I tried the grouper special and really enjoyed it. Restaurant was filled with people (many large family groups) obviously enjoying their evening out.
C Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #90
Shore Driver

Woodshed is always great.

C Tucker, is there an outdoor seating area there? I had no idea...
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #91
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shore Driver View Post
Woodshed is always great.

C Tucker, is there an outdoor seating area there? I had no idea...
Unless it has changed, I would call it a 3 season room. Somewhat like Canoe's.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #92
pjs1342

I find Patrick's Pub in Gilford to be the best around the lake!!!
pjs1342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #93
Shore Driver

VitaBene, are you referring to the "Pennant Room"? Or is it up front somewhere??

I don't know the Woodshed as well as I thought!
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #94
Newbiesaukee

First time we visited this year and all four different entrees were excellent. Some minor tweaks of menu but we were very pleased. Service by Ginger was outstanding. This remains our special occasion, visitor pleasing place.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #95
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shore Driver View Post
VitaBene, are you referring to the "Pennant Room"? Or is it up front somewhere??

I don't know the Woodshed as well as I thought!
I think that is the case, to the right of the bar looking at it from the good side (the side where you get to have a drink!)
Old 08-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #96
Natt

We had dinner, 5 of us, on thursday night. The place was full, service was great and the food was all delicious and as ordered. Lemon tart for dessert was wonderful, and with real whipped cream. Our meal was perfect and we are so happy to say so.
Natt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #97
Begonezvous

Default still good for me

Went there in July with the Missus and everything was great as usual!
Begonezvous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #98
Pineedles

Default Thank you

Thank you all for commenting on your experiences. It realy helps folks like me decide where to spend those "special" dinners.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #99
JTA

Mrs. JTA and I made our annual trek to The Woodshed last night. I am in such a rut, I always order the same thing: onion soup, prime rib with baked potato (with the works). Ahhh ... it was great!
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JTA For This Useful Post:
KPW (10-09-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 05:32 AM   #100
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA View Post
Mrs. JTA and I made our annual trek to The Woodshed last night. I am in such a rut, I always order the same thing: onion soup, prime rib with baked potato (with the works). Ahhh ... it was great!
I like your rut!