Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2005, 09:41 AM   #1
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts
Default Poison Ivy

Anyone know a good cure?........Most of the over the counter stuff is spray or root treatment......I don't want to need an ocean..
of calamine lotion
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 01:26 PM   #2
Drummer Girl

Default Poison Ivy Helper

Technu is a much more effective and comfortable product. You can also put it on preventitively ahead of time if you know you might encounter poison ivy. You would find it in any pharmacy or Walmart type store. Hope that it works for you, as well as it did for me!
Drummer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 01:33 PM   #3
CEP

My father use to get poison ivy even if the wind blew it his way.
Then he would head for the nearest ocean beach and soak in the salt water.
Puff! the stuff was gone!
Someone told me one time that there was a pill you could take and it would take the ivy away, but I think it takes a doctor's perscription!

Sorry to hear that nasty stuff got ya!!

CEP
CEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:47 PM   #4
Pepper

Thumbs up Technu is the best we've found!

I agree with DrummerGirl (BTW, nice to see you posting DG!). Technu is the best we've found, and the best part is it's invisible!!!!!

Hope you're feeling less itchy soon Sam!
Old 06-13-2005, 06:01 AM   #5
ApS

Never mind the "ocean" of calamine lotion:

It's prescription-only, but one 2.8 ounce tube of triamcinolone acetonide (0.1%) keeps 99% of these ailments under control for years. It's also available as an ointment -- if you suspect your condition originated from today's Winnipesaukee waters.

Ask your doctor for its appropriateness in your case. (It's also only three dollars per tube).
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2005, 06:44 AM   #6
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM
Anyone know a good cure?........Most of the over the counter stuff is spray or root treatment......I don't want to need an ocean..
of calamine lotion

I think he was looking for something to kill the plants, if he wasn't than I am. Looks like a bumper crop this year.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:05 AM   #7
chipj29

Default Ivy killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD
I think he was looking for something to kill the plants, if he wasn't than I am. Looks like a bumper crop this year.
ITD, Home Depot sells stuff that is very effective at killing the plants. Last year I had a ton of the evil weed in my yard. I sprayed this stuff a couple times, and within 2 weeks it was all dead and gone. I did spray very heavily, but it worked. Sorry but I can't remember the name, but I believe it was an Ortho product. I can check the name later on when I get home.

And Acres Per Second nailed the best stuff for poison ivy that I have found. Triamcinolone is what I primarily use to treat my psoriasis, but have found that it is very effective on treatment of poison ivy. It is not indicated on the label for use on that, however it works pretty well. In fact, it works better on poison ivy than it does on my psoriasis!
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:31 AM   #8
SAMIAM

My biggest concern is killing the plants.....Home depot sounds like a good place to start
Old 06-13-2005, 08:54 AM   #9
Zee

Default Ammate is the product to use

Ammate is the product I have used for poison ivy control. I believe it is Ortho, but I could be wrong. It comes in a yellow plastic bag and you dilute it in water in a garden sprayer with liquid soap. Spray the plants and they will usually be wilted the next day. One small bag goes a long way.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:06 AM   #10
ApS

Smile Big ApS mis-read, there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD
"I think he was looking for something to kill the plants..."
You're right. I erred. I'll try to rectify that below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29
Triamcinolone is what I primarily use to treat my psoriasis, but have found that it is very effective on treatment of poison ivy.
Be sure to rub it on to all three leaves and the stem, too.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:15 AM   #11
CEP

Oh! Thought you ment you caught it!!
Well! now the only thing I've tried is, Weed-B-Gone!
It kills poison Ivy, poison oak and all kinds of weeds, but, if you read the lable carefully it will kill plants and flowers if the wind blows the mist on them while your spraying around.
It does kill everything. I've found that in a couple of years the poison ivy will come back in small patches but you just respray and that will kill it.

I tried to clear it all out by weed wacking! Not a good idea!

Later,
CEP
Old 06-13-2005, 01:45 PM   #12
SIKSUKR

I tried that by mistake also CEP and had some nasty horizontal lines on my legs from the oil being spun at me at them.Pretty ugly site. SS
Old 06-14-2005, 07:21 AM   #13
chipj29

Default Yikes

No I wouldn't rub anything on a poison ivy leave! lol That is def. not a good practice. Well, unless you enjoy the itch all over your body.
Weed B Gone is the stuff I think I used. It worked really well. Just be careful of the overspray, like CEP said.

Good luck...and remember, don't use the weed wacker, and don't rub anything on the leaves!
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:44 AM   #14
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Poison Ivy

Ortho Brush-B-Gon is what we have found to work best.

If you know that you've been in contact with the plant, washing up with Lava soap or any other harsh soap will minimize, if not stop the ivy from giving you a rash. Any tools, toys or clothing that has touched the poison ivy will hold the oil indefinitely and can reinfect you!

Poison Oak is a relative to the ivy, but grows into a bush and is just as troublesome.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:39 PM   #15
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

And once the weeds are dead, DON'T AS IN DO NOT AS IN WORST THING YOU COULD DO..., DON'T burn the dead weeds. I know someone that did, walked/stood in the smoke, and had Poison Ivy all over the exposed parts of the body (nearly closed the eyes shut) and had it in nose and throat. Ended up hospitalized. Once dead, rake the weeds out, put on a pair of those ugly yellow gloves that are a couple or three bucks at Hannaford Market Basket $2.97 at Walmart (Right FLL), put the weeds in a plastic bag and get rid of it and the gloves.

Yikes....I feel itchy just thinking about it!!!!
Old 06-18-2005, 08:42 AM   #16
CEP

Default Samiam

Fill us in on what's happening with the Ivy Issue!
Did you find something that worked good?

CEP
Old 06-18-2005, 09:28 AM   #17
ApS

As Zee suggested, we've found something that worked well: Ammate.

When I got a particularly bad case of poison ivy, my mom applied Ammate to the poison ivy all around our [then-sunny] acre. The poison ivy never reappeared.

Thirty years later, when I thought I saw a re-infestation, I applied Roundup to all the three-leaved suspects I could see.

A week later, I was asked, "Why are all the Jack-In-The-Pulpits dying"

Oops!
Quote:
Gee, I dunno...
Actually, I think our acre has matured into big trees which have "shaded-out" any understory trees and any potential poison ivy recurrence; however, poison ivy will appear anywhere there's a sunny clearing -- particularly alongside forested roadways.

BTW: Brush-Be-Gone is a very powerful plant killer with lots of application warnings. Even diluted to the instructions, the stuff burns my hands.

Old 06-18-2005, 11:09 AM   #18
SAMIAM

OK,CEP,here's the skinny........My daughters yard is surrounded with fields of poison ivy....some of the vines are 15' into the trees.I never saw anything like it.Anyway,after reading everyones suggestions,I used the Ortho,poison ivy treatment ...the concentrated kind ...and mixed it in my 3 gallon pump sprayer.I wore painters coveralls,gloves and old shoes and went at it.I had to pull down some of the vines by hand and dig some of the roots out.Also there were areas where vines were creeping right out onto the lawn and I carefully pulled them away from the grass,as well.I sprayed very heavily in the wooded areas surrounding the lawn.I put all of my clothes in a plastic bag for the laundromat....wifey wouldn't let me do it at home.
It's only been a couple of days and I'll let you know if it worked after a week or so.
Thanks again for all the tips.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:33 PM   #19
CEP

Default Samiam

I don't know about ortho. All I ever used was Weed-B-Gone.
Is that the same stuff?
I never dug or pulled anything, all I did was spray the leaves when they where wet with dew in the early morning. The leaves will suck up the Weed-B-Gone and transfer it to the roots and kill the plant.
As far as taking your cloths to the laundramat, who ever washes their cloths after you might and I say might get ichy!
What I did with my cloths was put them in a trash bag and threw them out.
Wait a few days and see what happens to ivy crop.
If the ivy turns brown it is dead but if not, than, as MacArthur said, " I will return"

Keep us informed OK?

CEP
Old 06-18-2005, 09:32 PM   #20
Rinkerfam

There's another product from Ortho ( I believe ) called Ground Clear. I've used it on my mulch beds and along my granite curbing. It is supposed to kill "everything". It has worked wonderfuly for me. It is available at Home Depot. I mix it in a pump type sprayer. It's worth asking about to see if it will take care of your poison ivy problem. One final note: I've used other "week killers" in the past which work something like a tornado (killing one weed while leaving the one next to it completely unaffected ).
Old 06-19-2005, 08:07 AM   #21
SAMIAM

I probably will have to go back...my daughter reported that some are turning brown and some survived.

As the Coasters once said....."Late at night while you're sleeping......poison ivy comes a creep'n.......all around"